• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This thread feels a bit premature now lol.

Also,

Zelda confirmed for NX cross-release.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Like seriously this is all pretty upsetting. March 2017 is hardly an ideal time to launch a system and now Nintendo's E3 is probably going to be close to on par with last year's.

-_-

finalark

SNORLAX
Another year of Wii U, guys. Really hope Nintendo has a few surprises up their sleeves. I'd rather see it go out with a bang than a whimper.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Honestly this excites me more than anything. Revealing at E3 means competing with so many other people that alot of information gets caught in the shuffle... thus actual news outlets reporting that Wii U was a peripheral to the Wii... By doing a separate event they can get all the fact's straight and avoid the failing. Moreover this allows them to get things hands on in a way E3 is very reluctant to let you do; they've shown their pettiness about developers doing simultaneous hands on events in other places, by avoiding E3 they could potentially get it in people's hands the day they reveal the console all over the world (at least several places in Europe, America, Australia and Japan), and if it's haptic like I think it might be they need to do that as you can't show skeptics who good it is to feel a game with only audio and visual... the worst section of gamers have shown how averse to change they are alot the last few years, I think they need to let people experience it.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Not surprised, not surprised one bit... I was hoping the NX would come out this year and give us a relatively smooth transition from Wii U to NX but I guess that's not happening.

Hope they have more then Zelda U to show off at E3, because we've known about it for years. Can't help but think if SF0 was announced last year instead of the year before last E3 would of been more interesting.

Ugh, they're going to show off more PMCS at E3, aren't they... Just when I thought last year's was going to be the worst.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So the NX got pushed back because the games weren't ready:
Kimishima said:
When asked why Nintendo wasn’t launching the NX in time for this year’s big holiday season, Kimishima explained that Nintendo wanted to make sure there were games to go along with the NX.
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-new-nx-console-will-be-out-march-2017-1773312629

I appreciate Kimishima's candor. That's a valid reason. Though an unfortunate one. But at least it shows Nintendo is learning. Even if it be by necessity.

Wonder when Nintendo started giving devkits to 3rd parties. Probably not soon enough to many, but eh, what are you gonna do.

Honestly this excites me more than anything. Revealing at E3 means competing with so many other people that alot of information gets caught in the shuffle... thus actual news outlets reporting that Wii U was a peripheral to the Wii... By doing a separate event they can get all the fact's straight and avoid the failing. Moreover this allows them to get things hands on in a way E3 is very reluctant to let you do; they've shown their pettiness about developers doing simultaneous hands on events in other places, by avoiding E3 they could potentially get it in people's hands the day they reveal the console all over the world (at least several places in Europe, America, Australia and Japan), and if it's haptic like I think it might be they need to do that as you can't show skeptics who good it is to feel a game with only audio and visual... the worst section of gamers have shown how averse to change they are alot the last few years, I think they need to let people experience it.
I place most of the blame on Nintendo's horrendous and confusing marketing surrounding the Wii U as opposed to the press. Such logic supposes correct information would rarely come out of E3 from the media, which is hardly the case.

Another year of Wii U, guys. Really hope Nintendo has a few surprises up their sleeves. I'd rather see it go out with a bang than a whimper.
Maybe N-Stars will release for the Wii U as well. If it is some amiibo platform thing that would make sense.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I place most of the blame on Nintendo's horrendous and confusing marketing surrounding the Wii U as opposed to the press. Such logic supposes correct information would rarely come out of E3 from the media, which is hardly the case.
No it doesn't. Deciding not to play one round of russian roulette doesn't mean that people rarely survive, you have a 1/6 chance, but when your life's on the line most wouldn't take that risk. Nintendo's life is on the line!

The Xbox One and Wii U both had mistakes in marketing which further resulted in major press mistakes, heck, there were press peculated mistakes in the PS4 reveal even, and that was handled a ton better. If Nintendo fail to explain something well enough at E3 it's done, it's out there and the press will go look at Sony's booth; if they do it at their own event then the press will flag it up and Nintendo can respond immediately.

Stu R

Smash Cadet
What do you guys think of the Nintendo NX? What have you heard? Post it all here

D

Deleted member

I think it's a new Nintendo console but also a new handheld it'll be a family of systems or it be a hybrid all in one system. A mix if Wii U's GamePad and the 3DS/DS. With the main system maybe looking like Wii/Wii U but in the end that's a guess and knowing Nintendo it'll probably be something unexpected, I hope it succeeds and does well and I look forward to whatever crazy gimmick they have for it plus it's games and whatever else it can do. Nintendo are the kings of innovation so I hope they pull through with something good. I'm excited for it and hope to pick up both console and handheld NX one day.

As for what I've heard, same stuff ad you guys.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I too think it's a family more than a single thing, but I've heard it's 3 parts: The hadheld, the console and the SCD. I've heard other things from around the place, many of which have been deconfirmed, but the ones that still niggle me are such:

The SCD acts as a distributed cloud server you own, but focuses on time sharing rather data sharing (like in the case of streaming and cloud saves, though it likely has those too). Another rumour is that the cloud system will allow higher end multiplayer at no subscription fee (like PS+ quality online (if not better, as you sit next to the servers), but without a monthly subscription), and maybe even host an MMO... specifically the MMO Dragon Quest X English version, though I'm fairly certain this one's just wishful thinking from the 'rumour' maker, and it niggles me because I want it to be true SO BAD! I've heard a rumour I've also heard the SCD may be replete with a full scale graphics card (not an APU), and be the bit you connect to the TV, which sounds interesting, and also lines up with the idea of NX using a low-spec Polaris (which have performance way above their spec numbers, and are very clever), but that doesn't sound that likely to me... A custom Polaris APU is also a possibility, on the cosole so I don't discount Polaris at all.

The Console is apparently cartridge based, also apparently limited to 32gb (though I'm hoping this is more like the N64's limit which they kept on breaking). It'll have much faster read speeds than blu-ray allowing much faster load times, while also being quieter, less prone to malfunction, and allowing much better airflow to reduce heat and noise... likely the console is going to be very quiet. I've also heard the top of the console acts as an Amiibo portal, and is meant to be kept closer to the player (on a table, or beside the sofa I guess) for more convenient game switching and so on... kinda reminds me of old Ataris, which I'm totally cool with... but again, that's one I don't hold faith in. I have heard it uses a modern ARM processor though, which is fine as modern ARM is easier to port to than PowerPC, and GPU architecture would be more of an issue (and apparently isn't for the NX)

The handheld looks somewhat like a 2DS but with a full free-form screen (and stereoscopic 3D). It has 2 force feedback analogue sticks, force feedback roll wheels as bumpers, force feedback analogue triggers, and no face buttons. It instead has a haptic touchscreen using improved Tactus technology (this one I have a personal source from my engineering degree for, though he doesn't say NX, just that Tactus are working on something which could well be a phone, tablet, or even a car display; I just think the timing is suspicious... of course my source could also be lying to me or mis-informed, but it's something dammit!). This doesn't have force feedback, but does have variable impulse, resistance and squishiness allowing buttons presses to feel vastly different based on context. Button presses can be more or less impactful, easier or harder to press down, or the buttons themselves can be various textures, shapes and locations on the controller (ie. traditional game controls, gamecube, keyboard so on, and can change during game play... or probably be edited in controller customization, at least for something like Smash). I also thought about Pokémon-Amie and asked if it could change temperature or give electric shocks like that game does to the stylus hand, but my friend says he's heard nothing of the sort and doesn't believe it's even possible (which is sad, as haptic Pokémon-Amie would be pretty bad-ass).

I have heard literally no rumours about what the handheld's specs would be, but if the cloud servers are a thing I could see it using the cloud to timeshare almost all of it's functions. This would mean being online or near an SCD (which would likely be distributed to places like McDonalds or japanese trains if their streetpass history is anything to go by) would allow you to play games at either higher settings, or possibly be required to actually play games in the first place (though I'd imagine that'd just be one particular model designed to be a controller and not a handheld if that is the case)... that whole lot is guesswork mind, but lines up with the idea of having time-sharing being a feature.

I remind you, these are all things that niggle me, from various sources of varying degrees of reliability, and not things I can confirm or can even truthfully say I expect... I expect a few to will be true, and have a few I believe to be among those... but the only thing I'd bet on would be cartridges, so take everything with a sprinkle of salt.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Minor nitpick, but isn't 3D + touch impossible? Or highly improbable? Combined with the morphing screen I'm having a hard time imaging how this works...

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Minor nitpick, but isn't 3D + touch impossible? Or highly improbable? Combined with the morphing screen I'm having a hard time imaging how this works...
Well, there are S3D phones with touchscreens (HTC EVO 3D and LG Optimus 3D come to mind I think the rest are only available in Japan)... I do know it was considered harder to use touch controls on a 3D screen mind... but if it's got stuff pushing out of the screen then it may fix that too. I dunno. The haptics and the 2DS shape with 3D display come from 2 different sources and may be mutually exclusive and contradictory (though I've seen no evidence to say it is).

I remind you how I'm listing things I've heard that I have not dismissed, there may be things in here that are impossible, but not in a way I recognize.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I too think it's a family more than a single thing, but I've heard it's 3 parts: The hadheld, the console and the SCD. I've heard other things from around the place, many of which have been deconfirmed, but the ones that still niggle me are such:

The SCD acts as a distributed cloud server you own, but focuses on time sharing rather data sharing (like in the case of streaming and cloud saves, though it likely has those too). Another rumour is that the cloud system will allow higher end multiplayer at no subscription fee (like PS+ quality online (if not better, as you sit next to the servers), but without a monthly subscription), and maybe even host an MMO... specifically the MMO Dragon Quest X English version, though I'm fairly certain this one's just wishful thinking from the 'rumour' maker, and it niggles me because I want it to be true SO BAD! I've heard a rumour I've also heard the SCD may be replete with a full scale graphics card (not an APU), and be the bit you connect to the TV, which sounds interesting, and also lines up with the idea of NX using a low-spec Polaris (which have performance way above their spec numbers, and are very clever), but that doesn't sound that likely to me... A custom Polaris APU is also a possibility, on the cosole so I don't discount Polaris at all.

The Console is apparently cartridge based, also apparently limited to 32gb (though I'm hoping this is more like the N64's limit which they kept on breaking). It'll have much faster read speeds than blu-ray allowing much faster load times, while also being quieter, less prone to malfunction, and allowing much better airflow to reduce heat and noise... likely the console is going to be very quiet. I've also heard the top of the console acts as an Amiibo portal, and is meant to be kept closer to the player (on a table, or beside the sofa I guess) for more convenient game switching and so on... kinda reminds me of old Ataris, which I'm totally cool with... but again, that's one I don't hold faith in. I have heard it uses a modern ARM processor though, which is fine as modern ARM is easier to port to than PowerPC, and GPU architecture would be more of an issue (and apparently isn't for the NX)

The handheld looks somewhat like a 2DS but with a full free-form screen (and stereoscopic 3D). It has 2 force feedback analogue sticks, force feedback roll wheels as bumpers, force feedback analogue triggers, and no face buttons. It instead has a haptic touchscreen using improved Tactus technology (this one I have a personal source from my engineering degree for, though he doesn't say NX, just that Tactus are working on something which could well be a phone, tablet, or even a car display; I just think the timing is suspicious... of course my source could also be lying to me or mis-informed, but it's something dammit!). This doesn't have force feedback, but does have variable impulse, resistance and squishiness allowing buttons presses to feel vastly different based on context. Button presses can be more or less impactful, easier or harder to press down, or the buttons themselves can be various textures, shapes and locations on the controller (ie. traditional game controls, gamecube, keyboard so on, and can change during game play... or probably be edited in controller customization, at least for something like Smash). I also thought about Pokémon-Amie and asked if it could change temperature or give electric shocks like that game does to the stylus hand, but my friend says he's heard nothing of the sort and doesn't believe it's even possible (which is sad, as haptic Pokémon-Amie would be pretty bad-***).

I have heard literally no rumours about what the handheld's specs would be, but if the cloud servers are a thing I could see it using the cloud to timeshare almost all of it's functions. This would mean being online or near an SCD (which would likely be distributed to places like McDonalds or japanese trains if their streetpass history is anything to go by) would allow you to play games at either higher settings, or possibly be required to actually play games in the first place (though I'd imagine that'd just be one particular model designed to be a controller and not a handheld if that is the case)... that whole lot is guesswork mind, but lines up with the idea of having time-sharing being a feature.

I remind you, these are all things that niggle me, from various sources of varying degrees of reliability, and not things I can confirm or can even truthfully say I expect... I expect a few to will be true, and have a few I believe to be among those... but the only thing I'd bet on would be cartridges, so take everything with a sprinkle of salt.
Thanks Cheezey Bits this is the first time I'm hearing some of these rumours so it's good to know. If the cartridge thing is true I may end up liking cartridge games more then disc games although I'll always love disc game a close second I've enjoyed them up to this point and I love them and always will. Moving on I've heard about the cloud based system thing although it's not something I may even use it sounds cool and pretty good. As for the handheld that's pretty cool and sounds reasonable.

So thanks for the information.

Last edited by a moderator:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Ok, about the NX rumor... I think it's true, the plataform will be a alternative to unify the console and portable market.
Nintendo always owns the portable market, so having "only" the portable market is cut losses.
But while I think is quite smart to them, I don't like it at all. I never liked to play "on the go".
Ok, it's cool, and I had a DSi wich I played a lot in a small period of time, but...it's not my thing, I guess ?
And a lot of people (even people I know) don't like portable gaming the same way they like consoles.

Let's take a look at Smash. Smash 3DS is a nice product. But when you compare it to the Wii U version... it's a demo.

You can't run on the go what you can run with a console system. So, they're giving up a part of the market to invest only at where they're winning. It's sad because... I will buy any system to play Smash, but I don't want to buy this idea.
I can only hope (PLEASE NINTENDO) they still releasing weaker versions of the NX games into the Wii U.
For the first time EVER, I feel that I MUST buy a Sony console. Because the Wii U library will die lacking content.
A awesome Mario game, a awesome DK game, awesome Mario Kart, a ok Star Fox, a ok Smash Bros, ok Pikmin, a refreshing Splatoon and a fun Mario Maker. But it's over and we only have Zelda coming. Maybe I would feel happier about the console if next year games releases to the Wii U and the NX. Looking at what possibly the NX is... I don't know why his games shouldn't be on the Wii U too.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I feel this is the worst way to take it if they're trying to sit on their successes. Essentially what they're making is a tablet with attachable Wiimotes. This could end up with some great games, and setting the tablet up like a screen for multiplayer Smash, or motion controlled Just Dance wherever you are could be really fun... but they're entering a market with Apple and Samsung fighting for the lead. Nintendo need to bring a hell of a lot more to the table to make this a success, like social apps by the truck load, keyboard support, etc or else wise, if there's any whiff of minor success Apple and Samsung will devour the market with their own controllers.

finalark

SNORLAX
At this point I have no idea what the NX could be. It being some weird tablet with detachable grips is as likely as it being a toaster that you can play Mario World on while you wait for you breakfast.

D

Deleted member

If the rumour is true sounds cool. It'll be fun to use and a new way to play games I Like it.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
If the NX rumour is true I think it's finally time the Playstation becomes my go-to console. Sad, but it seems like Nintendo is veering even further away from the direction the majority of the industry seems to be headed. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, uncontested market spaces have done wonders for Nintendo in the past, but there are too many games elsewhere to pass up on at this point (and truly, for a couple gens already).

That said, as a person who travels fairly frequently, I'm not uninterested in this gimmick. Sounds pretty useful. We'll see how it pans out.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The NX reveal and what software the system will have will ultimately be the decision maker for me of whether or not I get an NX or the new PS4 model.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Well, it's been said there will be a new pokemon and mario game for the nx alongside zelda, right? Let's see what we have. The main rumour is the nx will be out march next year. What comes out in november, 4 months before nx? Pokemon sun and moon. What will the nx have? A new pokemon game.
Conclusion? Sun and Moon will likely be playable on the NX.

D

Deleted member

Still surprising that we are 7 months away from the NX's launch table, and we know exactly nothing about it as far as what it's actual physical dimensions are. Not even any prototypes.

I got a feeling that the Tokyo Game Show will be where the NX is formally announced, because they haven't been doing Nintendo Direct's since the Final Presentation (I think), and although Nintendo does not do that event, this year may be different. It runs from September 15-18, and may be our first glimpse into this new console. And we may be able to estimate how much it will cost on launch.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, there was that Pokémon direct back in February. Wikipedia also claims there was a direct in March, though I really don't recall that one.

:094:
There was a Direct on March 3rd. You can see it on Youtube.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If it's not revealed in September then i'm really going to start losing my patience over this. I don't know any major system that wasn't even revealed 6 months before launching.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
I can't say anything much objectively since Nintendo hasn't shown much about it. Even seven months or so out from its purported debut. SEGA pulled a similar stunt with the Saturn in the west, revealing it so soon before release. Guess how that ended up; it ended up killing the Saturn in the west. (Well, that and it was also stupidly difficult to program for, even more than the N64.)

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I can't say anything much objectively since Nintendo hasn't shown much about it. Even seven months or so out from its purported debut. SEGA pulled a similar stunt with the Saturn in the west, revealing it so soon before release. Guess how that ended up; it ended up killing the Saturn in the west. (Well, that and it was also stupidly difficult to program for, even more than the N64.)
No, SEGA didn't reveal it just before it was released. They released it the day it was revealed. Being hard to program form wasn't even an issue, the console did fantastic in Japan. The big thing was that SOA had a terrible CEO during the Saturn's lifespan who was convinced Americans only wanted sports games, and prevented a lot of good stuff from coming over here.

Trust me, the NX is not a Saturn.

D

Deleted member

September is here so I hope they finally unveil the Nintendo NX c'mon Nintendo strike while the iron is hot.

Zerinus

Smash Rookie
September is here so I hope they finally unveil the Nintendo NX c'mon Nintendo strike while the iron is hot.
I'm expecting something on the 15th at Tokyo Game Show.

But if they don't show anything this month, I'm going to be surprised. Though even if it does turn out to be a crappy reveal im still going to get it for Breath of The Wild.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
If Nintendo pushes the NX reveal past September they're risking losing the impact in the holiday season craziness. September is the last month that makes sense business-wise. It's no coincidence Sony and Apple are holding conferences in a few short days. More so than just a growing fervour among the fanbase, Nintendo needs to make the reveal this month from a financial perspective, which if nothing else, is a language I believe they still understand.

So yeah, I'm expecting a reveal in the next few weeks. Though hopefully not too close to Sony and Apple.

Top Bottom