• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Switch Controller Extravaganza (Review / Options List)

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
So over the course of playing Smash Ultimate so far, I've managed to accumulate literally ALL of big name controller brands to test out. There are a few I have not tried, like the janky one that has face button plates you can change out to N64, GCN, Pro and NES layouts. That being said, I think I've tested all of the likely choices people will make.. and this is what I've found.

-----

POWERA WIRED / WIRELESS GCN SWITCH CONTROLLER:

Wired variant: This one seems to be held to a low quality standard. The bumpers felt squishy and the triggers very springy. The face buttons were EXTREMELY loud and clicky, only seeming to worsen with age. The stick just feels.. off, I'm not sure how to explain it. It's like they tried to go for a real GCN feel, but missed the mark entirely. This could do, I'm not saying it won't, but.. it's kinda crap. 5/10

Wireless variant: This one was MUCH better than the Wired, and upon taking apart my Wired (I replaced the wireless one's C-Stick with the Wired L-Stick) and Wireless controllers found them to be built entirely differently. Not just obvious differences from wired to wireless.. but a lot of cheap outs and short cuts were taken on the Wired one. That said, the Wireless one has some issues. The stick notches aren't perfectly aligned with the 8 axis', so when you push the stick into a notch it's JUST barely off the mark. It seems to be ever so slightly worse on the horizontal axis, and the diagonal notches actually match for some reason. I've tested this with the controller apart and can confirm it isn't the stick, the C-Stick also has this vertically to a very small degree. All that said, with Smash only accepting 8 real directional inputs in the grand scheme of things this doesn't amount to anything. If you wanted it for ANY other game, it could cause irritation. Overall I give this one an 8/10, being able to use a Wireless GCN in portable mode is cool, but I wouldn't take it to a tournament as while it's pretty quality.. it's still not the official. The bumpers are pretty nice, though the triggers are meh.

-----

HORI WIRED GCN SWITCH CONTROLLER:

I wouldn't buy this. It has some sort of weird axis snapping thing where you can't get consistent inputs outside of straight-to-the-notch flicks. Again, like said above with the PowerA wireless notch issue, this doesn't amount to a problem.. in Smash. I imagine this thing would be hell in most other games. The buttons are okay, but they don't feel great compared to the Wireless PowerA and they PALE to the official. I do like the triggers on this one, all said. The middle buttons are rubber and feel awful, plus it has a turbo which makes it quesitonable for tournament use. If you just want a secondary controller to bust out for a friend or practice stuff, or don't take the game too seriously.. I wouldn't say it's an awful buy, but it's got some weird quirks and if you intended to use it for ANYTHING but Smash, due to said axis snapping issue.. it's probably worth a miss. 6.5/10

-----

PDP WIRED GCN SWITCH CONTROLLER:

This thing sucks. Point blank, it's an awful controller. The triggers and bumpers are strange for a Gamecube design, they try to blend in with the rest to form a fusion of Pro/GCN and it misses the mark entirely. The bumpers extend too far out and the triggers are large and mushy. The face buttons are loud and worst of all extremely resistant compared to every other controller on this list.

The absolute deal breaker is the sticks. The irony is this is what made me think this would be a potentially good buy, but they kill it. You can replace the C-Stick with a full sized stick like the L-Stick.. and for some reason you can replace the R-Stick too. This means BOTH sticks are just a ball insert with a little snap-on stick sitting atop it. Needless to say, this feels really grindy and strange because of how naturally loose it is by design. I had to force the tabs on the stick out and cram it onto the ball to stop this. The range / travel on L-Stick is FAR too long, and both sticks are too loose. This controller is awful.. give it a miss. 3.8/10

-----

OFFICIAL WIRED GCN CONTROLLER w/ ADAPTER:

If you don't want to use a Pro Controller, be it because of habits, preference or you like the design.. buy this. Even if you don't take the game very seriously, get it. One day, sooner rather than later, they'll likely become mad expensive and hard to get. These are choice, everything about them in my opinion is quality. I love Z (I use it to jump, including short hops) and the face buttons feel perfect. Quick short hops (when doing a NAir) are easy and satisfying by feel on X, and I love using Y to grab due to the location. The sticks are so perfect on these, I adore them. Even though the Switch has no analogue support, you don't have to fully depress the triggers to tech / shield either.

You can get decent adapters now, they're in stock all sorts of places.. just avoid sketchy brands. I own a Nyko one, and once you use each port 2-3 times (even if just plugging in a controller and carefully removing it 2-3 times) feels just like an official one. They are a bit snug out of the box though, so be careful when using it new. Some 3P adapters have gutted controllers due to VERY tight ports, so be careful. If you can get an official adapter, get it.. if not, Mayflash and Nyko are good alternatives.

10/10

-----

WIRED POWERA PRO CONTROLLER:

Don't use this thing. Plain and simple. It's extremely cheaply made, just chintzy as hell. The sticks have UNGODLY amounts of snapback and have far too much travel/range on them. The buttons feel weird. I don't mind this controller for some games.. but definitely not for Smash. I really didn't think this controller was all that bad until I tried it in Smash.. then it all came out. The D-Pad is just strange feeling, it's unlike any other D-Pad I've ever felt and NOT in a good way. The sticks travel oddly and just feel janky, they also have so much snapback that they WILL cause misinput turnarounds a lot when flicking them. The buttons AND triggers are kinda mushy to press as well.. overall just a poor option. Avoid. 3/10

-----

WIRELESS PRO CONTROLLER / OFFICIAL PRO CONTROLLERS:

Amazing option, if you aren't mentally hard-wired on the GCN layout like many of us, I'd recommend going for this. It doesn't have the stick notches.. no.. but in no other way is it beat. I actually feel like if you got used to this controller and gave it a chance it has a TON of potential. Techs like wavebouncing are laughably easy with certain setups using this thing, and that's where it shines. Due to the excess buttons, you can set this thing up all sorts of crazy ass ways.. and it can be VERY effective if used properly. The quality of these controllers is very high, very little snapback. amazing feel to the sticks and buttons.. it's all great. It's by far the most expensive option here, but it shows in quality. For some quirky reason, the Wireless / Official Pro controllers (along with JoyCons) have the LEAST amount of input lag, which is usually the opposite of how reality is. I think this is something specific to the Switch itself, kind of like its ass internet-capability.

You can't go wrong with this thing, if you think you can get used to it or deprogram yourself from the GCN layout.. I see tons of potential in these bad boys. 10/10 for this one as well.

-----

JOYCON CONTROLLERS / GRIPS / ETC:

Well, what did you think I was gonna say here? It's an option, yes, but we all know it isn't an ideal one. It has the same strengths are the Pro controller in terms of excess buttons you can setup crazy control layouts for.. but in terms of executing them? The buttons on this thing are TINY, making it hell to use for anyone who doesn't have very small hands. The triggers are just, no. I press the bumper and trigger at the same time, OFTEN. These things also feel like they would break after some time passes, especially with a game as hard on controllers as Smash. The sticks don't have a ton of range/travel on them either, so that's potentially a problem depending on what you're used to. I mean.. like I said, it's an option.. but not a great one. 5/10 for these. 1/10 for single JoyCon for obvious reasons.

-----

TL;DR: Buy an official GCN controller or an official Pro controller. If you MUST own a 3P one, the Wireless PowerA is the only one I can truly recommend, but I wouldn't recommend it for competitive play.

Have a wonderful day.

Last edited:

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Odd, I SWEAR I posted in in the Smash Ult board.. I've seen this happen a few other times with people posting topics intended for that board ending up here. It can't be coincidence, can it?

Conspiracy abounds. Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Definitely Official Pro/GC controllers are the top choices... Below the single joycon Master race!

But seriously, anyone who've played with a GC controller should go for the official controller and adapter. Anyone who hasn't should go for the Pro controller. I own both and while I do love the GC, the pro is just so well made with the grip and the modern button layouts along with HD rumble, NFC reader, and a 40+ battery life. It's definitely the best controller and I say even better than the PS4 and XBOX controllers imo, but I still use a GC controller for smash only as I find it better to play with notches and obviously nostalgic reasons.

And yeah, all the other options sucks except for the PowerA Wireless GC controller. Definitely wouldn't use it competitively though. I think for a more casual level it does fine. I use it whenever I play more casually such as playing anything outside of smash mode or when I'm taking the switch along to a friend's place or on vacation so I don't have to bring the official controller and adapter. It's really a great controller but the triggers are not the best. They're completely digital meaning you have to press all the way down to make your input work. However the Dpad is bigger and it feels better. Definitely recommend for a more casual play and it's a bonus that you can use this on pretty much almost every game as a Pro controller thanks to the extra buttons.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
The way the sticks feel on a GCN is very particular, along with the gate notches around them the sticks only feel like they were INTENDED to go in 8 directions, perfectly along the notch axis'. It's.. amazing for Smash, and I love the way they feel in general. The triggers are analogue FOR REAL, so even while the Switch has no support for this, it still registers the input with even tiny presses of the triggers unlike the PowerA as ANY press of analogue triggers on the Switch (be it light or full) is registered as a full digital input. You have to press the PowerA triggers ALL the way in without spacer mods. The issues with the stick not 100% matching the gate axis' was a little wonky too, I also noticed the face buttons didn't feel quite as nice and didn't spring back into place after presses as well.

I know a lot of people despise the GCN Z button, but I actually vastly prefer it to almost every bumper on a modern controller. Namely because I just lightly flick my finger off of right bumper (which on a GCN is Z) to jump, and the GCN Z is perfect for that. I use X too, but Z is my go-to and Y is grab. All said the GCN is just a damned nice controller and having rumble IF YOU WANT IT is nice. The 3P options all lacked at least SOMETHING in comparison to the official, hence why I cannot recommend ANY in good faith for competitive play.. though the Wireless PowerA is fine as a backup or something to use in portable mode for practice I guess. It's the ONLY one worth buying. 3P Pro controllers are garbage and all OTHER 3P GCN controllers except the Wireless (not Wired) PowerA are garbage as well.

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but I figure it was better than making a new post just to say my peace.

I have one of the official Wireless Pro Controllers and I'm honestly about ready to pitch it in the trash - It's gotta be one of the sloppiest controllers I've used for gaming (compared to, say, a Dualshock 4 or Xbox controller) and for the price I paid has honestly been a huge disappointment. I seriously am considering re-wiring myself to use GCN controllers.

The movement stick has a TON of travel, making flick movements like reversals VERY unreliable, and things like dash dancing impossible. Despite the massive amount of stick travel, for some reason walking is still difficult. The buttons press just fine, but the D-pad is very easy to register incorrect directions. Probably the biggest annoyance of this controller, however, is the angle of the grips: A GCN controller has more vertical grips while the PC is more angled. For me, a direction-heavy game like Smash requires a bit of extra brain processing to make my thumbs move at a slightly different angle to go straight horizontal (or vertical). Combined with how sloppy the sticks are, the result is an increase in input errors that sometimes cost stocks. Imagine if you will not being able to reliably angle Simon or Richter's aerials because your thumb sits slightly crooked on the stick. This is my pain.

The attached JoyCons don't have any of these problems - Stick travel is much shorter and the sticks are less mushy in general. The grips are more vertical for more reliable directions. The only real problems are that the buttons and bumpers are so dang small, and I don't even have very big hands! (Also the 'c' stick is positioned more directly under the buttons on the right side, making it a pain to use)

Honestly, if the PC had a better quality, lower-profile stick with shorter travel, and more vertical grips, it would be perfect. That, or I need to invest in a GCN.

Last edited:
Top Bottom