• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Sponsoring Apex 2015

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217
With news of Nintendo sponsoring Apex 2015 coming out I was wondering what possibilities could come from this. Could Nintendo sponsoring Apex become the norm for future big Smash tournaments like EVO and CEO to get sponsored by Nintendo and maybe Nintendo can organize tournaments themselves sort of like what they do for Pokemon. But something that really rustles my jimmies is the possible sponsoring of Smashers as this could lead to a New Crew being formed and to show that Nintendo cares for their competitive players.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Would be nice if more things got some recognition and support from Nintendo. I'm just hoping they resume allowing Project M alongside the other games.

But continued competitive support from the developer is always nice. Certainly cranks up the publicity things get, which in turn helps the scene grow.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Nintendo is not likely to back down now after they've shown more and more support for their competitive fanbase over the recent years. We, the competitive community, have been loud for many years now and only recently have our voices been heard. Whether it be for reasons of self-interest or genuine care Nintendo is making the right choice. As far as Nintendo-run tournaments goes... I doubt it and even if they do the ruleset will probably not resemble anything like standard tournament rulesets we are used to seeing.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Would be nice if more things got some recognition and support from Nintendo. I'm just hoping they resume allowing Project M alongside the other games.

But continued competitive support from the developer is always nice. Certainly cranks up the publicity things get, which in turn helps the scene grow.
Why in the world would Nintendo support project M?

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Just goes to show that while Nintendo of America does care about supporting the competitive scene, its the overarching Nintendo of Japan that ruins things.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Why in the world would Nintendo support project M?
PC game communities show pretty well that if devs support the mod community, then they gain more from the same game than if they shut down mod projects (though in the case of PC games, you don't have to really worry about ended distribution for games, and most devs could care less about post-life piracy if they haven't kept their game in circulation of their own accord). There's virtually no reason to support past games at all if they're simply trying to support Smash4. If they're trying to support the series (not like they're even capable of making more money off of Melee and Brawl, since they're out of print and aren't available on Virtual Console), then supporting all versions, official or unofficial, is the most reliable way to do that.

Unfortunately, Nintendo gets really antsy over their intellectual property no matter what you do with it. I wouldn't expect them to support Project M, but seeing as it's a darn-near professional-quality mod of a AAA game, I would really hate to see it fall off just because Nintendo chokes it out of major events by sponsoring 'em (instead of just C&Ding it if they're really against it. I imagine if they really were trying to kill PM, they'd have done so months or years ago).

Last edited:

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
PC game communities show pretty well that if devs support the mod community, then they gain more from the same game than if they shut down mod projects (though in the case of PC games, you don't have to really worry about ended distribution for games, and most devs could care less about post-life piracy if they haven't kept their game in circulation of their own accord). There's virtually no reason to support past games at all if they're simply trying to support Smash4. If they're trying to support the series (not like they're even capable of making more money off of Melee and Brawl, since they're out of print and aren't available on Virtual Console), then supporting all versions, official or unofficial, is the most reliable way to do that.
Unfortunately, Nintendo gets really antsy over their intellectual property no matter what you do with it. I wouldn't expect them to support Project M, but seeing as it's a darn-near professional-quality mod of a AAA game, I would really hate to see it fall off just because Nintendo chokes it out of major events by sponsoring 'em (instead of just C&Ding it if they're really against it. I imagine if they really were trying to kill PM, they'd have done so months or years ago).

Well Nintendo is fine with fan-games(they approved of those a while ago), the problem with Project M mostly lies with mostly modding their game through an exploit(if you can call it that) through the Wii which is something they do not approve of. The reason C&D hasn't come yet is probably because it doesn't promote piracy since you need to have a copy of Brawl and the dev team doesn't approve of it either, they haven't directly gone in competition against Smash 4, they aren't trying to make a profit off of this, and they might want to not get on the bad side of the Smash community by shutting it down. If that happens all hell will break loose e.e

Even if they could support it, Sega and Konami might not like them supporting it due to giving them licensing rights and such for Sonic The Hedgehog and Snake(plus other representation that the companies gave) so there could be issues there and other side effects that could possibly happen if Nintendo gave their full support of it.

Or maybe I'm just thinking too hard about this in the middle of the night because I'm really bored right now.

EDIT: Also what @ Thinkaman Thinkaman said because I totally forgot to make that point.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
PC is an open platform in which there is nothing remotely shady or illegal about mods unless a EULA's language specifically forbids them. (Which is very shaky legal ground anyway.)

This is not at all comparable to cracking a protected platform to execute foreign code. We're talking about an action that breaks warranty, regardless of legality.

Again, not making a statement against console mods. (Heh, wouldn't that be ironic...) Just stating clearly that they aren't comparable to PC mods, with differences that specifically change the way publishers can address them.

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217
Nintendo is not likely to back down now after they've shown more and more support for their competitive fanbase over the recent years. We, the competitive community, have been loud for many years now and only recently have our voices been heard. Whether it be for reasons of self-interest or genuine care Nintendo is making the right choice. As far as Nintendo-run tournaments goes... I doubt it and even if they do the ruleset will probably not resemble anything like standard tournament rulesets we are used to seeing.
I think they will do tournaments considering how successful the E3 Invitational was maybe they would want to test the waters of Tournament hosting

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
at eye level
No matter what, even if PM where completely different to Smash and would have original assets, Nintendo can official never approve Project M! This is mainly because of the hacking of there hardware. You can't be against the

"Darn-near professional-quality mod" is exaggerated. The best mods create there own games, while using the assets and possibilities of the original game. Counter-Strike and DOTA for example have new game-mechanics and are very different to there original games. Project M is a modification in the most basic way. It really doesn't anything new with the game. That's is also, why PM is hard to justify as an original product at eye level on all of the four original titles in my opinion. It's still a impressive work. Decoding the original code, the creation of the tools, the implementation of all the changes and the extra content shows a lot of passion.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I heard it suggested once that Nintendo secretly likes the idea of PM but can't risk ever acknowledging it because that would put them in the awkward legal position of either issuing a C&D or tacitly approving of what amounts to using their IP for ourselves, which would be Not Good for them. So they took the third option of refusing to acknowledge it exists (IIRC even mentioning "Project M" or "PM" on Miiverse gets you banned) so they can maintain plausible deniability and let it keep existing.

No idea how accurate any of that is, but it makes sense in a bit of a twisted way.

Top Bottom