• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Reveals its New in Home Console, Nintendo Switch!

At 7am PT, on October 20th, Nintendo revealed its next home console, Nintendo Switch.

Official Nintendo Switch Trailer

At long last, the Nintendo NX has been revealed and is given the name of Nintendo Switch. The console will be a hybrid, roughly 14-15mm thick, that allows gamers to switch from the console being connected to a television when resting in the Nintendo Switch Dock, to, when lifted out of the dock, a portable mode. The console includes a high definition display 720p screen that features two detachable Joy-con controllers on each side. The gamer also has the option to prop up the Switch with its kickstand and turn each half of the controller into a simple gamepad. Each Joy-Con controller can be inserted into an accessory called the Joy-Con Grip to imitate a more traditional style and feel of a controller. The console will also support a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller that can be used instead of the detachable Joy-Con units. As both a console and a portable device, the Nintendo Switch will use cartridges known as Game Cards that confirm the rumors earlier this year.

A closer look at Nintendo Switch

While Nintendo did not reveal any technical specifications around the console in its trailer, Nvidia did confirm that the console does run on Nvidia hardware, specifically the company's Tegra line of mobile processors. There is still no word if Nintendo Switch will be able to support backwards compatibility with any of the Wii U's library of games or of any other Nintendo system.

The trailer includes glimpses of gameplay from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Splatoon, a Mario Kart game (Mario Kart 8 not confirmed), Skyrim and a Super Mario game.

Here is the list of 3rd party support for the Nintendo Switch:

After two and a half years of the Wii U's life cycle, the late Satoru Iwata mentioned its existence in early March 2015; a nonstop buzzing of rumors and speculations then surrounded NX. Then-president Satoru Iwata described the NX in the 2015 announcement as a "dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept."

Are you guys excited as I am for this new console? What does it mean for the future of Super Smash Bros? Will there be a port? Can this system make an impact in the competitive scene? Will we finally see Super Smash Bros. Melee HD? Feel free to comment below and discuss about how you as a community feel about Nintendo Switch. As always, please follow Nintendo's Twitter for any details, announcements and updates on Nintendo Switch. Stay tuned to SmashBoards for more Nintendo news.

Last edited:
Josh Olalde

Comments

D
So Nintendo Switch huh? Honestly I like it the System being a fusion of home and handheld systems, the lineup of games and being able to play on the go and on your home is appealing glad third parties are on board, so overall I like Nintendo Switch. Hope it does well.

Sma4sh port and Smash 5? Hopefully get announced at some point.

Well, I definitely didn't expect this!

I've always been interested in unique games and ideas in gaming, so Nintendo has certainly piqued my interest. I personally thought there would be something along the lines of connectivity to your mobile phone, especially with Nintendo and other third party developers making apps. Still I wanna see this thing in action.

Great to see the NX (now Nintendo Switch) finally get revealed. From what I've seen, looks like a nice concept! Also, the fact that Bandai Namco Entertainment (the main developers behind Smash 4) are a partner HAS to mean there will be another Smash game, be it brand new or a port. And trust me; this has to be confirmation about that.
Or, you know, Tekken :p

Absolutely phenomenal. Watched this several times.

As I've said many times before, Micro and Sony may have the power, but Nintendo has the creativity.

I sincerely look forward to this console.

I recently listened to a video that suggests that the Nintendo Switch will excel better when docked, and its battery life isn't very good.

Take the information with a grain of salt though, since it'll be a couple more months before the system becomes available to purchase.

LOL why does the internet hate this thing? It's such a novel idea!
That being said, they better start revealing new games, because this trailer only showed old games, minus the new 3D Mario.
Granted, they did show new details about some games and possible new content for each of the old games (most notably King effing Boo back in the roster of MK NICE). And the fact that it is willing to be open to crazy popular titles such as skyrim makes this a very good sign. It won't be out for months but I can 100% tell this is so much better than the Wii U!

If I can replay Bloodborne on the Switch (From Software is supporting it) I think I can die happy knowing I can play that game while in my bedroom at night in the dark, or even better, the bathroom. Dark Souls 3 for the Switch would be much more likely, but Bloodborne is one of my favorite games ever.

Melee HD, how would that look??? Just curious? Sure the gameplay would be again total badass, but just how. Do you have any idea how hard it is to make a smash game. heck if sakurai is on one right now I can only imagine how long he's been at it.

I kind of hope Melee HD doesn't happen because I have a feeling that there will be some sort of gameplay balance change that will make people who live and breath Melee be angry. Perhaps to update it to Sm4sh standards or like smash 5 if there was one. But even if they didn't do that, just some small changes can annoy people. Also whatever style Melee HD might have, it's not going to look classic like Melee most likely which can lose some appeal.

With that said Melee HD could still happen and everything could be all fine, I just think there's just so much that could go wrong that it'd be better if they focused their efforts elsewhere.

Though while I don't play melee much anymore, I do miss Fox's voice clips from Melee. Not a fan of the change in brawl/Sm4sh. Speaking of Fox, I kinda wished he could go close to Sonic's speed. His fast speed is what made me want to play him in Melee in the first place.

Smash4 player are hoping for a portage...lol... the melee scene is waiting for a portage since the Brawl release!
No way! you are all just going to watch your game died, i am waiting for a Smash6 announce with the Smash4 graphics and the Melee engine.
as soon as nintendo annouce SmashBros on Switch, SMash4 is dead! just like Brawl died!
melee and projectM will still be there! that's the point smash4 player refuse to understand...Smash4 has nothing special except being support by 'Tendo and if 'Tendo choose now to support a Smash5 game that throws away princapal Smash4 mecanics...now we are going to see how they react!

Last edited:
Smash4 player are hoping for a portage...lol... the melee scene is waiting for a portage since the Brawl release!
No way! you are all just going to watch your game died, i am waiting for a Smash6 announce with the Smash4 graphics and the Melee engine.
as soon as nintendo annouce SmashBros on Switch, SMash4 is dead! just like Brawl died!
melee and projectM will still be there! that's the point smash4 player refuse to understand...Smash4 has nothing special except being support by 'Tendo and if 'Tendo choose now to support a Smash5 game that throws away princapal Smash4 mecanics...now we are going to see how they react!
It's more so to do with the fact smash prints money and porting it is a way to get people who didn't buy a WiiU to buy this version.

Sakurai said that Brawl was the way it was because most people were going to play with Wiimotes.

Smash 4 still is pretty lax because most are playing on a 3DS.

Switch Smash would still be on a handheld and developed as such.

In mine opinion, if Smash 4 gets remade for the Switch, it can't just be a simple port. Cutting past the obvious things (more characters, stages, etc), it HAS to have at least one feature unique from both the Wii U and 3DS versions. Otherwise, those whom already have the Wii U version might be reluctant to buy the Switch version.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. What is Unity support?
It supports Unity, which is a program you can use to make your own 3D games. I use it in my research. You should totes get on this because 1) it's free and 2) it's a very useful and marketable thing to learn if you're into game development.

Download Unity here: https://unity3d.com/5

They also have tutorials but you can find tutorials all over the internet especially on Youtube: https://madewith.unity.com/learn

In mine opinion, if Smash 4 gets remade for the Switch, it can't just be a simple port. Cutting past the obvious things (more characters, stages, etc), it HAS to have at least one feature unique from both the Wii U and 3DS versions. Otherwise, those whom already have the Wii U version might be reluctant to buy the Switch version.
I disagree. First of all, basically nobody has a Wii U to begin with so if people are that reluctant then Nintendo isn't missing out on much...

There's simple ways to convince people to upgrade... They could make the games incompatible and force people to upgrade to play with their friends, or they could whip up a significant balance patch to convince people.

Without Sakurai I don't see any new characters being added. The number of people who'd buy the game again for ICs, Wolf, and even Snake would be quite low, to the point where they're not even worth adding.

I don't think they'd even port over Smash Run because they'd have to make a bunch of HD models for it. Maybe a bunch of stages from Brawl because they'd look acceptable... But that's it.

I disagree. First of all, basically nobody has a Wii U to begin with so if people are that reluctant then Nintendo isn't missing out on much...

There's simple ways to convince people to upgrade... They could make the games incompatible and force people to upgrade to play with their friends, or they could whip up a significant balance patch to convince people.

Without Sakurai I don't see any new characters being added. The number of people who'd buy the game again for ICs, Wolf, and even Snake would be quite low, to the point where they're not even worth adding.

I don't think they'd even port over Smash Run because they'd have to make a bunch of HD models for it. Maybe a bunch of stages from Brawl because they'd look acceptable... But that's it.
Points taken. Wii U, frankly, didn't sell too well. And it would be a pain to make new characters, or remake Smash Run.

Now that I've thought about it, I seriously doubt Splatoon or Mario Kart 8 would need any significant upgrades to sell well on the Switch, assuming they will be ported. Ergo, it is unlikely Smash 4 would need anything special, either.

Nevertheless, it would be nice to see new, unique fighters--though I won't be expecting any if Smash 4 does get ported to the Switch.

This made me cringe so hard.

Top Bottom