• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo News - Star Fox and Sponsorships Edition

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Welcome to Nintendo News! Every weekend, Smashboards will compile the noteworthy Nintendo related news bits from the week and put them together into one handy article! This week's Nintendo News is for the week of January 4th to January 10th, 2015.

Nintendo Announced as Apex 2015 Sponsor

After months of speculation, the truth has finally been revealed. Nintendo has been confirmed to be an official sponsor of the Apex 2015 tournament! It was officially confirmed in a tweet sent out by the Team Apex Twitter account. So far, details about the sponsorship have been scarce, but the Apex staff promises "big thing" in the coming years. For more information on this story, check out this article on Smashboards about the sponsorship.

Nintendo Reveals North American Limited Edition of Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

On January 5th, Nintendo revealed the newest North American Limited Edition bundle for Majora's Mask 3D. The package includes a copy of the game and a highly detailed figurine of the game's main villain, Skull Kid. Pre orders are open for the bundle, but they appear to be sold out everywhere for now. The official statement from Nintendo on the bundle can be read here, and an image of the figurine up close can be viewed down below. It's pretty awesome.

Nintendo Officially Drops the Brazilian Gaming Market

Sad news for Nintendo fans in Brazil, the company announced that it has closed it's operations for distributions in Brazil. Nintendo says that the country's high import tariffs and other challenges with the Brazilian market are the reason they pulled out. The Wii U launched in Brazil for R$1899, or about $830 USD with games being sold for around $77-87 USD. Director and General Manager of Latin America at Nintendo of America, Bill van Zyl had this to say on the situation, courtesy of IGN :

"Brazil is an important market for Nintendo and home to many passionate fans but unfortunately challenges on the local business environment have made our current distribution model unsustainable in the country,"
Miyamoto Says That Star Fox Wii U Will Be Playable at E3 2015

Star Fox Wii U will be playable at E3 2015, according to what Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto told Smosh. This is good news, considering the game is supposed to launch this year. Miyamoto also gave a few more details about the game, saying that the Gamepad will have the Arwing's cockpit view and the TV will have a more traditional Star Fox 3rd person view. Mr. Miyamoto was also asked when a new F-Zero game would be made, to which he replied that he needed to find the right controller interface to do so.

Soon...
That concludes this week's edition of Nintendo News. If you have any suggestions or improvements for future editions, please let us know in the comments section.

Until next week, Nintendo fans.

TewnLeenk is a writer for Smashboards and can't wait to crank out barrel rolls in the new Star Fox. Follow and chat with him on Twitter @TewnLeenk.

Last edited:

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
I'm honestly wanting to get the Skull Kid figurine, but I need to save money... Oh and I'm loving the fact Star Fox is coming out later this year. Maybe Summer release?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
It's good news and bad news and news news.
All of the all of the news!

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Im surprised they didn't mention how Miyamoto said that there's still no F-Zero game in development because of no suitable "control interface" -_-

Last edited:

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
What is Brazil? A miserable little pile of the market!

Last edited:

Vigilante

Smash Lord
That picture of holding the wiiu pad up has already put me off Starfox.

God i hope there's a "play this like a game not an exercise in patience" option
I agree. When will Nintendo learn to not try to fix what isn't broken? Unless Star Fox has classic controls as an option, I can't imagine playing it.Motion controls need to die.

Plus, the Gamepad second screen idea is flawed by the fact that it detracts your attention, unlike the 3DS, which works because they are two small screens very close to each other.

Games should sell ont heir own merits, not due to gimmicks.

Last edited:

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
So what were those bundles super limited or, did someone order 1000 of them to resell on ebay. @_@

Fack.

Anyway F-Zero confirmed for Br4wl.

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice
That Skull Kid looks glorious, hope it doesn't being poor quality like Amiibo

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I'm glad that Smashboards is bringing me this stuff, since I don't go to game 'journalist' sites any more. :p

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
830$ WTF WHY?
The Brazilian government want to make more manufactured goods within their own country so employment in local communities will improve. So they raise the tariffs of imported goods coming into their country to lessen the employment takeover of larger companies/businesses from other countries. And I guess it became so high to the point they either keep paying Brazil or temporarily cut off ties until something better comes along. They choose the less expensive option of stopping import distribution to that country. They might come back to support Brazil again, but will be inactive until then.

Last edited:

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
skull kid better be a frickin amiibo and allow you to play as skull kid in ssb4
-quote from every skull kid fan

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I really hope the new Star Fox just continues on with the series and doesn't try to reboot anything. Sure, there've been some writing missteps, but why retcon what you can redeem?

It'd feel like a mistake.

NintenNess

Smash Journeyman
Welp, I know nothing about the government and the economy in Brazil.. I heard that the reason Nintendo is dropping support in Brazil was because of the economy and the government.

Are there any economies worse than Brazil's?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Can't wait to do some of those fancy barrel rolls with Star Fox Wii U, which will be the second game in the series I'll ever play after Star Fox 64 3D.

Of course, I am curious as to whether or not Nintendo will ever make an F-Zero game. It's been way too long since the last game came out on the GameCube.

I'm not getting the Majora's Mask Limited Edition because I don't like the Skull Kid.

While it is a tragedy for Nintendo fans in Brazil, news is always news everyday no matter how good or bad.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Welp, I know nothing about the government and the economy in Brazil.. I heard that the reason Nintendo is dropping support in Brazil was because of the economy and the government.

Are there any economies worse than Brazil's?
Consoles cost like over $1000 there.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Mother3 translation?

No?
Maybe?

I want to buy that ****, Nintendo! Even though I already have played all the games with fan translations and emulators, I still want to pay you for the game!!

JUST DO IT ALREADY OH MY GOODNESS

RWR Soul

Smash Rookie
I agree. When will Nintendo learn to not try to fix what isn't broken? Unless Star Fox has classic controls as an option, I can't imagine playing it.Motion controls need to die.

Plus, the Gamepad second screen idea is flawed by the fact that it detracts your attention, unlike the 3DS, which works because they are two small screens very close to each other.

Games should sell ont heir own merits, not due to gimmicks.
Have you at least play it? No. So wait at least for a gameplay trailer to criticize, or and the second screen is for a first person view of Arwing, you don't control the Arwing with motion controls. And one last thing, what the heck people want from Nintendo really, Pokemon is **** because all games are always the same, but Star Fox is **** when they try to do something new?

Narpas_sword

when the something new is different gameplay, that's fine.
when the something new is stupid gameplay because you have to do stupid **** with a touchscreen/hold it up in front of you it's not ok.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Have you at least play it? No. So wait at least for a gameplay trailer to criticize, or and the second screen is for a first person view of Arwing, you don't control the Arwing with motion controls. And one last thing, what the heck people want from Nintendo really, Pokemon is **** because all games are always the same, but Star Fox is **** when they try to do something new?
I don,t need to play it to judge it.

Actually, IGN's Nintendo voice chat talked about the controls. You use the gyro to aim.

I actually think pokemon got better these days. With Dex Nav and Super training and many convenience tools as well as their respect for their competitive community, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire is a great set of games. While I'd like them to try a different setting like Pokemon Colloseum did, mechanically, the new games are fantastic.

Motion controls are an annoyance to me. There is no right way to implement is as it is inherently a flawed technology that has lag and low reliabily. it also removes the aspect of gaming that I enjoy most: Relaxation.

Unless there is a classic cotnroller option, I have no interest in wailing my arms around or looking at an alternate screen when I could just be playing the way I like to play Star Fox: As a solid arcade shooter.

Last edited:

RWR Soul

Smash Rookie
when the something new is different gameplay, that's fine.
when the something new is stupid gameplay because you have to do stupid **** with a touchscreen/hold it up in front of you it's not ok.
That the point of the Gamepad, you now that tablet/controller that set the Wii U apart from the consoles, for unique experience, but then they stop from using it fro their games and everybody start complaining, and when Miyamoto works with it all start to complaining again.

RWR Soul

Smash Rookie
I don,t need to play it to judge it.
Motion controls are an annoyance to me.
Unless there is a classic cotnroller option, I have no interest in wailing my arms around or looking at an alternate screen when I could just be playing the way I like to play Star Fox: As a solid arcade shooter.
First of all have you tried Nintendo Land, that game shows how well the Gamepad works, and dude, we all know from the start that this will happen, that was to whole point of the Wii U, and one last thing WAIT FOR A GAMEPLAY TRAILER.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
First of all have you tried Nintendo Land, that game shows how well the Gamepad works, and dude, we all know from the start that this will happen, that was to whole point of the Wii U, and one last thing WAIT FOR A GAMEPLAY TRAILER.
I tried Nintendo Land, yes. I absolutely detested every moment of it and kept wishing I had a better controller availiable to me.

The Wii U's problem is precisely that is it trying to be dependent on a gimmick, which sadly, makes it a much more divisive system. By making it rely on a gimmick, you split your market, alienating those that do not want to deal with them.

And I don't think I was clear enough the first time. I hate motion controls to the point that any game that forces it is a deal-breaker. No matter how it looks, if I can't play is normally with a classic controller, I will skip it.

RWR Soul

Smash Rookie
This will sound rude, but why you are the one who always is complaining about things that you don't like and then call them bad. Every time my friends come to my home we always play at least 20 minutes of Nintendo Land because we found it really fun the mini games ideas with the Gamepad. If there is a group of people that do not like motion controls if is fine, but that do not make them a gimmick, they do not make the Wii U bad, and they do not alienating their fanbase, only a group that is not even close to 40% of people of their fanbase.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Smash Lord
This will sound rude, but why you are the one who always is complaining about things that you don't like and then call them bad. Every time my friends come to my home we always play at least 20 minutes of Nintendo Land because we found it really fun the mini games ideas with the Gamepad. If there is a group of people that do not like motion controls if is fine, but that do not make them a gimmick, they do not make the Wii U bad, and they do not alienating their fanbase, only a group that is not even close to 40% of people of their fanbase.
I didn't actually call it bad, but I did state that I didn't like it, two different things altogether. What boggle smy mind is why it bothers you that I dislike it in the first place.

Unfortunately, motion controls do not add to the experienc eof playing games and add more problems like input lag and unreliability. They are something that is very divisive and Nintendo's "Look at us, we are original!" plea to be noticed by gamer-senpai.

Looking at how poorly the Wii U is doing, I beleive motion controls is what caused them to be in this precarious position. Nintendo alienated mos tof its core fanbase by forcing a technology they didn't enjoy down they throats. They initially bought it for the novelty, but it wore thin very quickly. Now, they need to rebuild the lost trust they have with their lost consumers.

I'd imagine the only people who have Wii U's are Nintendo fanatics, the vast minority that still think motion controls are relevant to gaming, or people like me who got it a bit begrundgingly hoping for something better. Many people want to love Nintendo games, but don't want to deal with the gimmicks.

I think it's sad that Nintnedo lost so much confidence in itself that it doesn't believe that it can make good games that sells themselves off their quality without resorting to cheap accessories.

Last edited:
Top Bottom