• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo News - E3 2015 Digital Direct Recap Edition

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Welcome to a very special E3 2015 edition of Nintendo News! We'll be posting a giant recap of all the major announcements from Nintendo's Digital Event Direct right here. So, let's get to it! Read up on all the Big N's megaton announcements down below!

Here we go!

StarFox Zero

Do a barrel roll! Nintendo has announced that a new StarFox game titled "StarFox Zero" being developed by Platinum Games will be coming to Wii U holiday 2015. The Gamepad is used as a cockpit view to look around and get a 360 view of the area around the Arwings. Mr. Miyamoto says that this game isn't a remake of StarFox 64, but a whole new story. Oh yeah, Fox, Falco, Peppy and Slippy were all there too.

Nintendo NX

Nintendo briefly mentioned their new dedicated gaming platform, codenamed NX, and said there'd be more news about it in 2016.

Skylanders Super Chargers

Nintendo announced that Bowser and Donkey Kong figurines will be coming to the new Skylanders game for Wii U. The Bowser and DK figures can transform between amiibo and Skylanders figurines by twisting their base. Neat!

The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes

A new Zelda game was announced for Nintendo 3DS. The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes is a 3 player co-op Zelda game set in a kingdom filled of style savvy people. The game will focus on customizable clothing that changes Link's abilities. The game also has a "totem" mechanic where all 3 Links can stack up on each other and make a tower of Links to solve puzzles.

Hyrule Warriors 3DS

A 3DS reimagining of Hyrule Warriors is coming to Nintendo 3DS featuring Tetra and the King of Red Lions as playable characters. The 2 new characters can be transfered to the Wii U Version of Hyrule Warriors. The 3DS version should be out in the first quarter of 2016.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force

Nintendo briefly showed off a new Metroid game for Nintendo 3DS which appeared to be a 4 player co-op shooter. Samus was nowhere to be seen yet. Also included with the game is the Blast Ball minigame introduced at this year's Nintendo World Championships, now retitled 'Metroid Prime: Blast Ball".

Fire Emblem Fates

Fire Emblem IF, now titled "Fire Emblem Fates" in North America was confirmed to be releasing here in 2016. A new trailer was shown showing off some cutscenes of the new characters.

Xenoblade Chronicles X

We finally got a release date! Xenoblade Chronicles X will be arriving on Wii U in North America on December 4, 2015.

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer

A new trailer for the Nintendo 3DS game Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer showed off the game and the house creation process in action. It also showed off the new card based amiibo that players can scan in and use with the New 3DS's NFC communicator on the touch screen. The game will be available in North America on September 25, 2015 and October 2, 2015 in Europe.

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival

An unexpected new Animal Crossing game was announced for the Wii U. Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival is a board game style party game very similar to Mario Party. In the trailer, Isabelle, KK Slider, Tom Nook and Mable were going around a board game set in an Animal Crossing village collecting Bells. Isabelle, KK Slider, Tom Nook and Mable are each getting their own amiibo figures too, which will be compatible with the game. The game will be released Holiday 2015.

Yoshi's Wooly World

A new trailer for Yoshi's Wooly World was shown off showing the amiibo supports and new levels. Players can scan in any amiibo and Yoshi will get a new costume based on that amiibo. The game will be released on Octobre 16, 2015.

Yo-kai Watch

Yo-kai Watch was announced to be coming to the West with a new trailer. The game will be out in North America Holiday 2015.

Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam

A new Mario RPG was announced for Nintendo 3DS. It's a combination of the Mario and Luigi series and the Paper Mario series. Paper Mario will assist Mario and Luigi in their world and use his paper abilities to solve puzzles and battle with them. There was even a giant papercraft Mario running around smashing papercraft Goombas. The game is due out in Spring 2016.

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

A new Mario Tennis game was announced for the Wii U. The game showed off Mario, Toad, Peach and Bowser playing a game of tennis and using Mega Mushrooms to grow to giant sizes. The game will be out Holiday 2015.

Super Mario Maker

Nintendo closed things out with Super Mario Maker. They showed off the creation process of levels and talked a bit about what it was like developing the original Mario games back in the 80's. Nintendo also announced that amiibo support will be available for Super Mario Maker. Players can scan in any amiibo and Mario will transform into an 8-bit version of that character. Nintendo also showed off a new 8-bit Mario amiibo figurine. The game will be released on September 11th, 2015.

What did you think of Nintendo's Digital Direct this year? Let us know in the comments section.

TewnLeenk is a writer for Smashboards and is very excited for StarFox! Follow and chat with him on Twitter @TewnLeenk.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It was incredibly underwhelming. Especially for European players, since Yoshi is out in 2 weeks, and they spent SO much time on it.

Watching the Tree house. Hoping there is a surprise or two in it. Kinda boring so far, but at least Audrey is up now to look pretty, wearing a nice Zelda dress.

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
While this E3 wasn't their best year. It wasn't very terrible. Aside from the new Animal Crossing game, there were some cool new ideas with their IPs. MPFF and Triforce look hella fun to play with friends. Nothing bad, just not as good as E3 2014 had us hoping

tr3v

Smash Cadet
NNID
TR3V07
3DS FC
4871-5923-4364
It wasn't AMAZING, but there's a lot that I'm excited for. Star Fox looks great so far, I'm super excited for Fire Emblem, and Mario Maker looks fun too. Then again, we knew about these 3 things well before E3, so I don't know if they qualify as fully fledged announcements. I'm not really excited for any of the new stuff they announced.

Last edited:

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
Looking at the comments on the GameXplain videos, people are raging up a massive poopstorm over there. I guess people were very passionately expecting some massive Smash-level-hype announcement. But yeah, it wasn't terrible, there were some great reveals in it. Loving the Mario RPG crossover, at least in concept. Starfox Zero looks amazing. Fire Emblem Fates, so far away, but still want it very badly! Xenoblade Chronicles X, too. Zelda Triforce Heroes is interesting, I see potential there. A lot of people are jumping the gun on it though.

I also think the response to the event may have been better had there not been so many leaks (Hyrule Warriors 3DS, for instance)

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Expecting nothing, still incredibly disappointed by what was shown off (for the most part, Starfox U, Xenoblade Chronicles X and the charity was the only highlights).

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
People actually think was "good" or anything similar.

It was bad.
Bad
bad
bad.

Microsoft, Sony, and Square all had EXCELLENT conferences.
Too bad Nintendo flopped HARD. We could have had a really great e3.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Why were people still expecting a Smash announcement after getting a whole stream dedicated to DLC? Still, the event felt lacking.

And why does Fire Emblem Fates have to be so far away?

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
disappointed, we all that was leaked, I thought it be huge and what was leaked was like half it's contents.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
It was really bad. There was a lot of info that was just repeated from past directs. SF looks really low quality, even for a Wii U game. Zelda spinoff doesn't look too great. Awful Amiibo only AC party game. Also, did they really expect us to be excited for the chibi Metroid spinoff.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Why were people still expecting a Smash announcement after getting a whole stream dedicated to DLC?
Because people didn't think that what was essentially just another Sm4sh direct was literally all of the potential E3 content stripped from E3 itself and isolated in its own thing.

And in retrospect all the good stuff it announced was immediately released, so it wasn't like an actual panel or conference where long-term things were really discussed (e.g. no character announcement that we could look forward to; all we have now is speculation and amiibos).

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I was REALLY hoping for Nintendo to reveal Wolf for Smash Bros... Now, I'm just lying down on the floor. Also, the lack of Krystal concerns me. Maybe Zero takes place before Star Fox 64 or something.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Last year's was like 5 times better with Splatoon, Smash, Bayonneta, Xenoblade, and Zelda.
This year was a bunch of 3ds remakes. We already knew about Mario Maker and Starfox.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
People actually think was "good" or anything similar.

It was bad.
Bad
bad
bad.

Microsoft, Sony, and Square all had EXCELLENT conferences.
Too bad Nintendo flopped HARD. We could have had a really great e3.
I'm not lie here and say Nintendo did great on their E3 run. They should've saved all of their surprises to today instead of splitting (or covering leaked information) the good ones on Sunday or earlier. However, Square felt very troll'ish & boring for the most part and felt even worse than Nintendo at times. Don't get me wrong, KH3 trailer is pretty good, but everything before and after it wasn't all that great or barely show much. But nevertheless, I rate EA the worst of them all.

Microsoft was shooters and sports, with some indie games, backwards compatibility (that should've been in since lanuch), and then more shooters and sports. I guess Sony did pretty good I guess. With Shenmue fans coming out of their shells and FF7 remake making old fans happy, it's not surprising they bring their A game. Not too crazy about those games, but definitely positive reception for them.

E3 was not as planned well for Nintendo and hard to really hype it further with what they did. But there's always post-E3 announcements during the Summer and next year.

Last edited:

CosmicTornado

Smash Rookie
It was pretty underwhelming, to say the least. The highlights for me were Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam, Star Fox: Zero, and The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes. I was really wanting MOTHER 3 to be localized.....

Last edited:

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
I'd say Nintendo kind of dropped the ball on this E3 there were only a handful of exciting games (Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Zelda, Xenoblade) and the rest seemed pretty lackluster and/or unsurprising. Although, Triforce Heroes looks extremely fun and I can't wait for Hyrule Warriors 3DS. Also, we need a REAL Metroid Prime, not a multiplayer spin-off that doesn't even star Samus.

Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait until next year for NX and Zelda Wii U

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Honestly Nintendo's event wasn't very exciting. They just showed off a lot of stuff we already knew about. They did show off Star Fox, so points for that, and they also announced a new Mario & Luigi that fuses in the Paper Mario series, which is a cool idea, but overall this year was just kinda there.

ParanoidAndroid

Smash Cadet
Metroid Prime: Federation Force is big let down for me. If there was another Metroid game on the horizon it would be fine, but it's been 5 years since Other M. Star Fox looks like it could be great as long as the controls work out.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I haven't seen anybody else really talk about it, but did anybody else like that game that looked almost exactly like F-zero GX, besides star fox and paper jam, it seemed like the most hype worthy game that was announced.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I was REALLY hoping for Nintendo to reveal Wolf for Smash Bros... Now, I'm just lying down on the floor. Also, the lack of Krystal concerns me. Maybe Zero takes place before Star Fox 64 or something.
I heard it's neither and just it's own new story.

Aka it is probs a reboot.

D

Deleted member

Now all we need is a new F-Zero title for :4falcon: in the future?

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
Super Mario Maker releases on September 11th. Nintendo why?? Don't release a great game on a bad day. :(

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
I haven't seen anybody else really talk about it, but did anybody else like that game that looked almost exactly like F-zero GX, besides star fox and paper jam, it seemed like the most hype worthy game that was announced.
I think that's unfamiliarity since it's not actually F-Zero. I don't know anything about that game, so I can't really say what I think of it. Just how similar to F-Zero really is it? For all I know, it just looks similar, but in actuality there may be very big fundamental differences for all I know.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
E3 2014 pretty much pulled out the biggest guns, so it's not too surprising that E3 2015 wasn't going to be that impressive when compared to last year.

Staticky

Smash Cadet
Yeah, any kind of announcement would have been great. Ever since release we've alway's had DLC to be excited for, Mewtwo then Lucas. Now we're kinda left waiting in the dark. Let's hope for more DLC!

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Sorry, but this Direct was terrible. It started out great with the Star Fox puppets, but later the had no idea what to do with it. It would had helped if they had gave more info on SMT X FE but nothing.

Top Bottom