• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo mentions "Sonic" and "Brawl" in same paragraph

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
It’s not a confirmation, of course, but it’s still fun to see execs from Sega and Nintendo both say “no comment” in regards to the question.

But at least it’s real Sonic news! Almost.

Following up on Mic’s post earlier, there is an <a href="http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15630&amp;ncid=AOLGAM000500000000028">Interview at Gamedaily</a> Simon Jeffery (Sega President) and George Harrison (Nintendo VP of Marketing). Most of it is about the increased cooperation between Nintendo and Sega. But, part of it is directly relevant to our beloved Smash Bros:

<blockquote>BIZ: Is this partnership perhaps an indicator that we might indeed see Sonic make an appearance in the upcoming Wii title Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

GH: We can’t really comment on any sort of hidden characters in Smash Bros. at this point. Simon did reference that we’ve had a growing cooperation and respect over the last few years, and I think each success builds on itself. So we expect this game to be very successful. I am a little concerned about Sonic’s speed when he’s racing Mario in a footrace, so we’ll have to see how we can equalize that. </blockquote>

Be sure to check out the rest of the article!

X

X_Meta_Knight_X

Ok, now im sure. Sonic has a 95% of being in Brawl

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I always did wonder if Sonic made it in how fast they could make him so he could both have his legendary speed yet remain somewhat on par with every one else….

Yomon

Smash Apprentice
I’d have to say if this game is real, Sonic’s chances of making it in Brawl as a fighter are really high. Perhaps after April fool’s day we’ll all find out this is fake and then they’ll say something along the lines of “Mario and Sonic won’t be competing in the Olympics, but they will be doing so in Super Smash Brother’s Brawl!” and then a bunch of awesome screen shots, a release date, and a new Brawl movie are released along side this saying.

Maybe my wishful thinking is being a little too high.

X

X_Meta_Knight_X

Yomon, I have been thinking that for the past 4 months

M

Maximum

Or maybey after april fool’s day they’ll say “Mario and Sonic will be competing in the Olympics!, but they will not be doing so in Super Smash Brother’s Brawl! because we can do what ever we wan’t including friend codes! …
or another 8 months until Nintendo finaly brings up any Brawl news…….

S

silverofdeath

I think sonic is going to make it in super smash bros brawl its a 100% chance he will be in for sure i believe so.

B

Branden

I will say it so everyone know whats going on…

APRIL FOOL’S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmmm there ganna have a game were sonic with blazing fast speed races a plummer, wow sounds like a realistic interesting game that i would want to buy, come on we are all old enough to put 2 and 2 together, this is an April Fools joke it is not real. Nintedo is just trying to stur up a few arguments maybe have some nerds arguing over how there ganna cream them with sonic in a race, this is all just a cover up to all the “talk” sony and nintendo have bin haveing.

Do not be suprized if SONIC is confermed as a charactor in brawl on April 1st and this was all just a funny little joke.

Yomon

Smash Apprentice
I just think Sonic in Brawl would be a nice way for Nintendo to apologize to us for using the friend code system. (Even though Sonic isn’t really on my non-existent top 10 list of characters I want in Brawl).

Just think… For putting in your first friend code, you can unlock Sonic in Brawl, yay! &gt;_&gt;

Argh, it’s killing me. Quick, someone hire a Ninja to capture George Harrison and get him to spill some Brawl news by forcing him to eat 9 month old banana pudding if he doesn’t say stuff.

T

Toby

The only reason I’m not 100% sure Sonic is going to be in Brawl is that there is ALWAYS a chance. There is no conceivable reason I’ve heard for Sega not to include Sonic.

I’m sure Nintendo are keeping secrets on purpose, and want to make his inclusion a hidden surprise.

Khorsan

Smash Apprentice
I’m not too sure what to make of this. There doesn’t seem to be any official info on Nin’s site (doesn’t even show up in the master game list), but this is two days in a row of info. But at the same time, I’ve seen two official sega sites advertising it’s legitimacy:

http://www.sega.com/gamesite/marioandsonic/index.php
http://sonic.sega.jp/

So as far as I’m concerned, it looks like a legit game. And it also seems that Sonic in Brawl is that much more likely. Honestly, I would have figured with Sega being Nintendo’s lap dog that Nintendo would take the laughing opportunity to include Sonic in the game for their own amusement (and increase in sales), but this makes it almost a confermed idea.

The key is _almost_ confermed. We still have to wait and see what Nintendo will do. And I’m almost willing to bet money on them announcing it on April 1st and having it not be a joke.

D

Danny J.

Yeah, I agree with everyone, Sonic is a virtual lock at this point. After reading this, I decided to write a blog entry dissecting the odds of characters being included. It’s admittedly probably incomplete right now, feel free to either leave a comment or email me at stalcup [at] vt [dot] edu with thoughts/rebuttals/opinions/criticisms/etc.

http://dan-is-a-nerd.livejournal.com/23617.html

H

Harley

I woke up early this morning and read this.. like REALLY early, as soon as i got up, seeing as though my laptop was like right next to me.. I’ve been reading all the posts since last year.. I sincerely thought I dreampt reading this post and had to come back to read it again.

It’s not an April fools joke.. the Sonic in melee joke was released on the exact date [April 1st] It’s still March people!

The Sonic &amp; Mario Olympics has just confirmed Sonic appearing in Brawl for me ^_^ Love the game to bits already.

I would really love just a glimmer of information from Masahiro Sakurai right about now..

M

MisterSinister

Has anyone read the IGN article that says this?

IGN: So we won’t see Sonic appearing in Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

Laurent Fischer: That’s not on the cards at the moment.

Mike Hayes: Really, we felt that the Olympics provided a neutral ground for the two stars.

M

MisterSinister

link here: http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/776/776878p1.html

B

Branden

“That’s not on the cards at the moment”
what the hell does this mean. does it mean that sonic will probbly not be in ssbb or he’s not the person to say if he is or not

X

X_Meta_Knight_X

It means that they dont wanna talk about it and that they are going off topic

B

Branden

Well I guess theres no April Fool’s here. This can only mean that sonic will NOT be in brawl which is sad but true. Its not 100% but it looks bretty bad.

Here are the reasons why sonic will NOT be in brawl.

- Nintendo didn’t want to lose there sonic fans so they made the olympic game.

- Sonic somehow doesnt seem right in the game (opinon but true)

- It doesn’t seem like Masahiro Sakurai style to put him in, he was the maker of the last game and desided not to put him in then.

-The olympic game states that “this is the first time mario and sonic will meet in a game”.

30% for the furry blue dude in brawl. Anyways the game is ganna be great nomater what just cant wait to play brawl online!

~ Brando

I

Illidan

I don’t care about Sonic… I just want some SSBM news…. Geez Marisho, why are you so slow? Just release the news on your site! at least the release date I said plz..

H

Harley

Reasons why Brando’s reasons why sonic wont appear are… a bit on the nose.

- Nintendo didn’t want to lose there sonic fans so they made the olympic game.

“This has nothing to do with Super Smash Brothers Brawl… and if anything Sonic appearing in Brawl will again boost his popularity”

- Sonic somehow doesnt seem right in the game (opinon but true)

“Yes its your opinion and its only true for you seemingly, It’s been said time and time again that Sonic was the most requested character to appear in Brawl; said the Director himself”

- It doesn’t seem like Masahiro Sakurai style to put him in, he was the maker of the last game and desided not to put him in then.

“Masahiro stated on numerous occasions that he didnt have time to put alot of characters in, which included sonic, pit and solid snake. Your statement lacks basic proper linguistic structure and evidence”

-The olympic game states that “this is the first time mario and sonic will meet in a gameâ€.

“This is true”

30% for the furry blue dude in brawl. Anyways the game is ganna be great nomater what just cant wait to play brawl online!

“30% of what?.. Oh yes.. and it will be great.. if Ridley is in it &gt;:| ”

~ Harley

Yomon

Smash Apprentice
“This is the first time Mario and Sonic will meet in a game.” If that statement were to be true, wouldn’t Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games have to be released before SSBB if Sonic was in SSBB?

And Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games has something like a… December 2007 release or something. Hmm…

B

Branden

i was thinking about that too, that could aslo explane why there is no new information at this time; they could be conserving it to last till then to keep there fans happy.

M

Maximum

Brawl is going to be released during Christmas 2007, along with Prime 3 e.t.c…….

Yomon

Smash Apprentice
Maxim, as much as I don’t want to believe that, it’s probably true. We may just get Brawl around first quarter 2008. *sad*

Nintendo is confusing my brain.

darkshy

Smash Ace
“We can’t really comment on any sort of hidden characters in Smash Bros. at this point. ”

Okay. He may not have noticed, but he stated a fact that sonic will indeed be in the game and he will be a secret character.

“I am a little concerned about Sonic’s speed when he’s racing Mario in a footrace, so we’ll have to see how we can equalize that.”

This here must mean that sonic is in the game and they are working on balancing him.

K

KIDGAMER

OK PPL I JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT A GAME WITH SONIC AND MARIO AS THE MAIN CHARACTERS ITS CALLED MARIO AND SONIC GO TO THE OLYMPICS AND THIS MAKES ME THINK FOR 100% THAT SONIC WILL BE IN SSBB FOR SURE AND HIS SPEED HE PROBLY HAVE THAT ONE FOX MOVE AND HE PROLY KINDA TELAPORT FOR ANOTHER MOVE AND THE HE PROBLY HAVE SOME KIND OF MOVE WERE HE RUNS IN A CIRCLE AND MAKE A TORNADO AND THEN HIS ORB SPECIAL PROBLY HE TURN SUPER SONIC AND DO SOMETHING HELLA TIGHT THAT I CANT EVEN THINK OF RIGHT NOW

B

Boo

u really sure?!
by the way, if sonic’s going to be in there…
wouldn’t other guys like shadow, tails and such be in there????

S

smashfan#100000

what that coment is refering to is a game that will be launched along with the aproaching olimpic games in japan, that game involves both mario and sonic playing olimpic games as a tribute to the olimpic games, so that only increases the chances of sonic being in brawl!
the cover of the game is mario and sonic jumping at the same time a little obstacle like in the obstacle race and it was anounced like 2 weeks ago

yeah! sonic has a lot of chances being in brawl!!^_^

L

Lucario

I haerd that the official website is going to be updated in 7 days! WILL IT BE A ROSETER OF CHARACTERS?!! IF SO SEND MY LIST IF YOU GUYS READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

RIDLEY,SONIC,SYLUX,TRACE,WEAVLE,SPIRE,NOXUS,KANDEN,WALUIGI, LUCARIO,DEOXYS,LEON POWASKI,GANON(DEMON FORM),BOWSER JR., HAMMER BRO.,DIDDYKONG,PETEY THE PIRANHA,SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG,DARKRAI,AND MABYE BUT NOT MOST LIKELY. CLOUD. HOPE YOU ALL LIKE MY SUGGESTION IF SO TELL ME YOUR SUGGESTIONS HOPEFULLY WE WE CAN WORK SOMETHING OUT? PLEASE DONT GET MAD AT ME!

L

Lucario

I think sonic is sure to be in the game because lots of fans want to see sonic beatup mario so he is obviously on brawl becase they’re making that mario and sonic game.

B

Bowser Jr.

That would make sence for sonic to be in the brawl. That’d be cool i guess if they put in more of the pokemon like lucario, ect. (I’m just happy zelda, star fox, pikachu are still in it.) Bowser Jr. (Koopa kids) would be cool too. There my dudes on all the other games. ^^

P

PiNkLuCaRiO

Heh. Lucario is like my favorite. ^^ It’d be sweet if they’d put him in it! (i mean as a battler, not a poke ball pokemon)

S

shadow

Have u guys seen the new brawl video with Sonic in it. There are all fighting then the ceiling opens that leads to Metanights ship and the players look back and sonic is standing there and then he rolls his eyes at them and starts fighting and the message appeares that says “SONIC newcomer” then continues on with old video. You should search for it at http://www.youtube.com and you’ll be likely to find it. But some of the videos are fake so you should read the comment on the movie before you watch it.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Top Bottom