• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo, How not to screw up the NX's Launch

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
1. Buy Capcom, Sega, and Konami, that way Nintendo would have 8 additional MAJOR IPs (Metal Gear, Castlevania, Bomberman, Contra, Sonic, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, and Mega Man) to help alleviate problems with game release schedules (Nintendo has the cash flow to do this, so why not)
2. Buy out several small Western developers, and have them develop games that cater more to Western tastes, (Not like Call of Duty, I mean games that are more popular with TRUE gamers in the West, CoD players are NOT true gamers)
3. Give NoA and NoE more autonomy to publish and consult developers in their respective regions
4. Stop with the hardware gimmicks and put more energy into developing good games
5. Make more an effort to listen to what the fans want, even create a "Social Media Ambassador" to interact with the fans
6. Pursue big 3rd party developers
7. Develop the NX to be easy to make games on, even making it similar to the PS4 and Xbox One (The NX has been heavily rumored to use an AMD x86 GPU, the same GPU in the PS4 and Xbox One, so that's not unlikely)
8. Have all of Nintendo's developers create one game for the launch window, (I.e EAD develops Super Mario Galaxy 3, Retro develops a new Metroid Prime game)
9. Go all out at E3
10. Take advantage of Nintendo's great library of classic games by releasing more games on Virtual Console
11. Advertise more, spend money on a Super Bowl spot
12. Make the more "unusual" controllers optional and have a traditional controller be the main controller for the NX, (mostly just the Wii U Pro with a share feature)
13. Put more emphasis on online multiplayer, (why Nintendo still thinks it's a fad is beyond me)
14. Get major streaming services on the NX (Such as Netflix, Crunchyroll, WWE Network, etc.)
15. Use celebrities as spokesmen (like how they used Good Charlotte to advertise Donkey Konga on GameCube

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
2. CoD players aren't "real" gamers? CoD is a video game, and they play it. Smash players are frequently judged on the internet, no need to return the hate.
3. Nintendo is a single company, thats probably not how it works.
5. Doesn't nintendo already do that with miiverse?
8. Scheduled releases usually compromise the quality of the end product, as long as they have quality launch titles they'll be fine.
9. Not totally necessary, but I assume they will pull out all the stops when they market the NX.
10. They are, but it doesn't move very fast, probably because they only have small teams working on ports.
11. Advertise more yes, but Super Bowl spot probably isn't worth the $.
13. Most [Multiplayer] Nintendo games do have online multiplayer at this point. Including Triforce heroes and that upcoming Metroid game which feature it as core gameplay elements.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
1. Buy Capcom, Sega, and Konami, that way Nintendo would have 8 additional MAJOR IPs (Metal Gear, Castlevania, Bomberman, Contra, Sonic, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, and Mega Man) to help alleviate problems with game release schedules (Nintendo has the cash flow to do this, so why not)
2. Buy out several small Western developers, and have them develop games that cater more to Western tastes, (Not like Call of Duty, I mean games that are more popular with TRUE gamers in the West, CoD players are NOT true gamers)
3. Give NoA and NoE more autonomy to publish and consult developers in their respective regions
4. Stop with the hardware gimmicks and put more energy into developing good games
5. Make more an effort to listen to what the fans want, even create a "Social Media Ambassador" to interact with the fans
7. Develop the NX to be easy to make games on, even making it similar to the PS4 and Xbox One (The NX has been heavily rumored to use an AMD x86 GPU, the same GPU in the PS4 and Xbox One, so that's not unlikely)
8. Have all of Nintendo's developers create one game for the launch window, (I.e EAD develops Super Mario Galaxy 3, Retro develops a new Metroid Prime game)
9. Go all out at E3
10. Take advantage of Nintendo's great library of classic games by releasing more games on Virtual Console
12. Make the more "unusual" controllers optional and have a traditional controller be the main controller for the NX, (mostly just the Wii U Pro with a share feature)
13. Put more emphasis on online multiplayer, (why Nintendo still thinks it's a fad is beyond me)
14. Get major streaming services on the NX (Such as Netflix, Crunchyroll, WWE Network, etc.)
15. Use celebrities as spokesmen (like how they used Good Charlotte to advertise Donkey Konga on GameCube
Hmm, lets see.

1. Not Capcom, Rare. Save the company from being drowned by Microsoft. Rare has developed so many great titles for Nintendo, its justified really. As for Capcom, I'm really not sure (maybe to entertain the older gen of gamers who enjoyed Megaman and Castlevania int heir heyday).

2. Nintendo does need to put in more effort as to catering fans wants. After all, we are the ones BUYING the product, don't be throwing out ****ty reboots (i.e. Star Fox Zero) just to make an extra buck. Even in a business sense, that's just wrong. Remember the phrase "The customer is always right" Nintendo apparently is missing the memo.

3. I really don't think stream services are necessary. Do we want Nintendo to make a computer like their counterparts did? (In essence, the PlayStation and Xbox consoles have become more computer-like than for their original purpose, which was gaming).

4. Nintendo needs to rise up on E3 like they don't know what hit em. The Muppet presentation at this years E3 I actually thought was done well in terms of timing and taste. Getting a Super Bowl spot certainly would hep, and it would drown out the tiring GoDaddy and Dorito ads you see every year (same sex ads over and over again). Maybe do something Muppet-oriented (since they pull that off well apparently) similar to what Toyota did with their Super Bowl commercial with the Highlander.

5. I would suggest working on management altogether. Reggie hasn't really done all that good as I can see for Nintendo and I think Miyamoto's imaginative mind is starting to run on empty. Miyamoto had a good run, its just time for some new blood at the top.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
2. CoD players aren't "real" gamers? CoD is a video game, and they play it. Smash players are frequently judged on the internet, no need to return the hate.
3. Nintendo is a single company, thats probably not how it works.
5. Doesn't nintendo already do that with miiverse?
8. Scheduled releases usually compromise the quality of the end product, as long as they have quality launch titles they'll be fine.
9. Not totally necessary, but I assume they will pull out all the stops when they market the NX.
10. They are, but it doesn't move very fast, probably because they only have small teams working on ports.
11. Advertise more yes, but Super Bowl spot probably isn't worth the $.
13. Most [Multiplayer] Nintendo games do have online multiplayer at this point. Including Triforce heroes and that upcoming Metroid game which feature it as core gameplay elements.
Maybe #2 came out wrong, #3 That happened in the 90s, NoA had some autonomy, but nowadays NoJ keeps NoA and NoE on very short leashes, I understand Japan should be a priority market, but at the same time Western tastes are important too.
#5 is a way of saying to get more in touch with what the fans want, Miiverse is good and all, but Nintendo really should listen to feedback, feedback and criticism are the best way to improve, but Nintendo nowadays tends to ignore criticism. #8 is possible, have each studio contribute to a launch window title or a title in the launch year. 11. Actually the Super Bowl spot would be worth it, the Super Bowl gets the highest TV ratings of all sporting events in North America, which means a lot of people, a perfect Super Bowl spot would bring much more postive attention to the Big N
#13, I meant improving online, Nintendo really is stuck in the past , I mean an online system similar to Xbox Live or even Steam.
Hmm, lets see.

1. Not Capcom, Rare. Save the company from being drowned by Microsoft. Rare has developed so many great titles for Nintendo, its justified really. As for Capcom, I'm really not sure (maybe to entertain the older gen of gamers who enjoyed Megaman and Castlevania int heir heyday).

2. Nintendo does need to put in more effort as to catering fans wants. After all, we are the ones BUYING the product, don't be throwing out ****ty reboots (i.e. Star Fox Zero) just to make an extra buck. Even in a business sense, that's just wrong. Remember the phrase "The customer is always right" Nintendo apparently is missing the memo.

3. I really don't think stream services are necessary. Do we want Nintendo to make a computer like their counterparts did? (In essence, the PlayStation and Xbox consoles have become more computer-like than for their original purpose, which was gaming).

4. Nintendo needs to rise up on E3 like they don't know what hit em. The Muppet presentation at this years E3 I actually thought was done well in terms of timing and taste. Getting a Super Bowl spot certainly would hep, and it would drown out the tiring GoDaddy and Dorito ads you see every year (same sex ads over and over again). Maybe do something Muppet-oriented (since they pull that off well apparently) similar to what Toyota did with their Super Bowl commercial with the Highlander.

5. I would suggest working on management altogether. Reggie hasn't really done all that good as I can see for Nintendo and I think Miyamoto's imaginative mind is starting to run on empty. Miyamoto had a good run, its just time for some new blood at the top.
M$ won't let go of Rare, besides the three company named have some great games that will really help pad out the launch library
2. That's what I meant
3. Multimedia adds VALUE, which makes it a more enticing purchase to the public, the more things a console can do at a reasonable price the better
5. Yeah Nintendo needs to let some of the new blood transition in

Nintendo isnt made of money. . .they cant just buy 3 major developers and even if they could afford it i dont think buying a company works like that. And then getting even more smaller developers?

If the nx succeding requires a monopoly Nintendo is screwed. . .

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Nintendo isnt made of money. . .they cant just buy 3 major developers and even if they could afford it i dont think buying a company works like that. And then getting even more smaller developers?

If the nx succeding requires a monopoly Nintendo is screwed. . .
Yeah maybe just buying Capcom or Sega would be smarter,

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
That kind of reminds me of a comment I made once being that it seems if it sells well in Japan, it'll sell well in the rest of the world. I have a gut feeling that's why Shulk got in Smash 4, because of the popularity of Xenoblade in Japan. Sakurai put Sonic in Brawl originally because of the input from Japanese fans. Who really has heard of Xenoblade Chronicles before the Smash 4 release? Its like Fire Emblem. FE was Japan-exclusive for forever until what? 2007 or something like that? I'm sure a lot more people are now aware of Shulk and his buddies now thanks to Smash 4.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm pretty sure buying major third party companies who are by all means surviving would only earn them the ire of people.

It's healthier to just have those third parties stay third parties and support the system.

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice

Capcom releases wayy to much on other systems for them to consider it. They would have to wipe SfV off of PC and PS$, no dice for them. maybe the mega man IP but that's about it. There is no point in buying Sega other than Sonic. They would buy out a company for one..questionably succesful IP. Konami...see Capcom.

Not a bad idea, maybe buy out the stuff like NExt Level games and Retro Studios, Platinum games too.

Good idea, but the HQ would never let them, japanese pride and all.

Eh, they already make good games that utilize the uniqueness of the console.

Right, because we hate it when other companies add non-game things into their games console so lets let Nintendo do it!

Without a doubt yes.

Again, Without a doubt yes.

Good idea, but they should buy out all their close companies like I said in number 2

9. Go all out at E3

Yeah. Make it like E3 14.

This is what we need.

maybe.

Again, maybe

splatoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon

WE HATE IT WHEN MICROSOFT AND SONY DO IT SO WHY WOULD IT BE OK FOR NINTENDO

I have a better idea: Youtube celebrities.

finalark

SNORLAX
As for Capcom, I'm really not sure (maybe to entertain the older gen of gamers who enjoyed Megaman and Castlevania int heir heyday).
Castlevania is a Konami franchise, not Capcom. Besides, the last good CV game to come out in was back in 2008. And honestly, I'd rather have no CV at all than consistently mediocre CV.

The the three companies listed aren't exactly known for making good choices. Hell, in the last few years alone Konami has proven to us that they are kings of shooting themselves in the foot. SEGA has spent the last few decades proving that they only know how to shoot themselves in the foot. Being acquired by Nintendo isn't going to magically fix this.

I could make a ****ing cocktail with the elitism oozing from this statement.

D

Deleted member

If you don't want to screw up Nintendo listen to ME. Ok.

1. Call it "Wii NX" cause Wii is your most profitable home console of all time, don't you DARE call it anything but something that has "Wii" in the title.
2. Wii Remotes only, don't go back to out dated "traditional" controllers that have aged to extinction.
3. Don't bring over VC tiles from NNIDs, make people have to buy them again. You aren't gonna make any money if people get games for FREE.
4. Make sure the Wii Remote has a touchscreen because no one's gonna buy the system if you use archaic non screen controllers. Wii U is proof of this.
5. Don't release any new IPs, Splatoon has shown that only Mario, Zelda and Pokemon sell on Nintendo consoles.

Please do not mess this up Nintendo.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
If you don't want to screw up Nintendo listen to ME. Ok.

1. Call it "Wii NX" cause Wii is your most profitable home console of all time, don't you DARE call it anything but something that has "Wii" in the title.
2. Wii Remotes only, don't go back to out dated "traditional" controllers that have aged to extinction.
3. Don't bring over VC tiles from NNIDs, make people have to buy them again. You aren't gonna make any money if people get games for FREE.
4. Make sure the Wii Remote has a touchscreen because no one's gonna buy the system if you use archaic non screen controllers. Wii U is proof of this.
5. Don't release any new IPs, Splatoon has shown that only Mario, Zelda and Pokemon sell on Nintendo consoles.

Please do not mess this up Nintendo.
I think its a bit of a stretch to say the Wii is Nintendo's most profitable home console out of their rich history. I'ma bit skeptical on that when you have the N64 and the NES to name a few.

Wii Remotes would be good, get rid of Nintendo's version of the iPad (their gamepad). Ultimately that's what the Wii U is. A Wii with updated hardware and a tablet and nothing more.

Nintendo needs to listen tto fans on a global level (not just Japan) if they want to avoid another "Nintendo depression" like they had in the 90's. We know what's best, don't put out products and hope we like it. Listen to your base and apply the fundamentals of business, starting with "The Customer is always Right." Otherwise, its not unrealisitc to see another depression on the horizon. Smash 4 and the Amiibos that followed were really what took Nintendo out of the rut they had been in, but that recovery will only be temporary.

EDIT: There could be an opportunity for Nintendo to get their hands on Rare. If Microsoft has another backfire like they did with the rollout of Windows 8, they'll be desperate to make some revenue for the lost profits (which they could make the revenue from Nintendo buying out Rare). Corporations will for the most part, to go any extent to stay in business.

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
9. Go all out at E3
3. They can't do that because Japan only matters to Nintendo nowadays.

4. I do agree that they need to drop the gimmicks. I'm getting pretty tired of them lately.

5. There's Miiverse, but you're still right that they need to listen to the fans more on what they want. I mean, did anybody even ask for a chibi-styled Metroid along with Amiibo Party?

6. The NX definitely needs some third party support. The Wii U is a pretty big stinker because of no good third party games.

7. Nintendo needs to go all out with the NX in terms of graphic power. If it had the same type of graphics as both the Xbone & PS4, then Nintendo wouldn't be looked down on all that much.

9. Their E3 presentation back at June was weak, so it'll be an awesome effort if their next E3 wasn't filled with crappy shovelware games.

11. I don't know about a Super Bowl ad, but having their products advertised more is something they should do. Don't just advertise a product less. You'll just not gain any sales from doing this.

12. Or just make a more traditional controller and drop the more gimmicky controllers.

13. Explain SSB4 & Splatoon then.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Nintendo needs to hire some new blood if they want to stick around longer. Miyamoto would be retiring soon anyway.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
13. Explain SSB4 & Splatoon then.
Well, to be fair, Splatoon and SSB4 don't have online voice chat and online tourneys were kinda half-assed.

As an off-topic side note Splatoon doesn't have local multiplayer for some reason. No idea who thought that was a good decision.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well, to be fair, Splatoon and SSB4 don't have online voice chat and online tourneys were kinda half-*****.

As an off-topic side note Splatoon doesn't have local multiplayer for some reason. No idea who thought that was a good decision.
Literally, the lack of local multiplayer is what stopped me from buying the game.

Online is nice an all, but none of my friends have a Wii U and most of them live within driving distance. I'm not all that into playing multiplayer games with strangers, I'd rather be laughing and having fun with my friends all huddled together in a living room.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Nintendo seems to think what sells in Japan, sells in the West. That simply is not true, McDonalds and Coca-Cola know that some of their American products may not sell as well in other parts of the world, so they make new products tailored for the markets they are in. Nintendo is too nationalistic, that's the problem

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Nintendo seems to think what sells in Japan, sells in the West. That simply is not true, McDonalds and Coca-Cola know that some of their American products may not sell as well in other parts of the world, so they make new products tailored for the markets they are in. Nintendo is too nationalistic, that's the problem
That was one of the biggest points I've been trying to make. Its okay if Nintendo wants to serve its homeland, that's fine but as a community, its on an entirely different level. Its not about them or what they want, its about what the consumer wants and is willing to pay for. Either Nintendo needs to open up to that perspective or back out of some markets, which I heavily doubt they'll ever do.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
That was one of the biggest points I've been trying to make. Its okay if Nintendo wants to serve its homeland, that's fine but as a community, its on an entirely different level. Its not about them or what they want, its about what the consumer wants and is willing to pay for. Either Nintendo needs to open up to that perspective or back out of some markets, which I heavily doubt they'll ever do.
I know, Games like Fire Emblem don't sell as well in The West like Metroid. Do you think Coca-Cola and McDonalds were good examples to compare with Nintendo?

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I know, Games like Fire Emblem don't sell as well in The West like Metroid. Do you think Coca-Cola and McDonalds were good examples to compare with Nintendo?
I think it was a fair comparison . All international companies, catering to international markets. I did find an interesting find though
http://www.antagonists.ca/index.php/2015/07/11/why-nintendo-needs-to-quit-the-console-race/

Basically, this article correlates with what we're saying here. Furthermore, the article states Nintendo's lack of listening to the customer has given Sony and Microsoft an advantage:
"The problem being, both competing consoles sold a little under 75 million total units a year later, and were both selling for a little over double the price of the Wii. That means for every Xbox 360 or PS3 sold, MS and Sony were making more than twice what Nintendo made for one Wii sale. "

Nintendo has had some close encounters with bankruptcy that has made it too close to comfort.
Lastly,
"The average Nintendo game now can be played with about as much ease as the Angry Birds app you give to your 3 year old when they cry so you don’t have to actually pay attention to, or raise your children."

This is so much so. You want proof of this? Simply play MP 9.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I think it was a fair comparison . All international companies, catering to international markets. I did find an interesting find though
http://www.antagonists.ca/index.php/2015/07/11/why-nintendo-needs-to-quit-the-console-race/

Basically, this article correlates with what we're saying here. Furthermore, the article states Nintendo's lack of listening to the customer has given Sony and Microsoft an advantage:
"The problem being, both competing consoles sold a little under 75 million total units a year later, and were both selling for a little over double the price of the Wii. That means for every Xbox 360 or PS3 sold, MS and Sony were making more than twice what Nintendo made for one Wii sale. "

Nintendo has had some close encounters with bankruptcy that has made it too close to comfort.
Lastly,
"The average Nintendo game now can be played with about as much ease as the Angry Birds app you give to your 3 year old when they cry so you don’t have to actually pay attention to, or raise your children."

This is so much so. You want proof of this? Simply play MP 9.
The NX is Nintendo's last chance for console success

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
The NX is Nintendo's last chance for console success
Honestly, I think every Nintendo fan should be concerned right now. Notice how the PS4 and the Xbox One, that you still sit on your ass like in the olden days, its not wireless, and guess what? They're selling out like Girl Scout Cookies.

The "wireless gaming" ship has sailed, that was popular in the late 2000's. Caught on for awhile, but its returned to where it was before the Wii. Let's go back and take a good look at that. I've become accustomed to standing when I game, but the majority of people-people keeping Nintendo afloat, aren't. This isn't 2007 Nintendo, please. You're trailing on too hot of territory to continue down this path.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think every Nintendo fan should be concerned right now. Notice how the PS4 and the Xbox One, that you still sit on your *** like in the olden days, its not wireless, and guess what? They're selling out like Girl Scout Cookies.

The "wireless gaming" ship has sailed, that was popular in the late 2000's. Caught on for awhile, but its returned to where it was before the Wii. Let's go back and take a good look at that. I've become accustomed to standing when I game, but the majority of people-people keeping Nintendo afloat, aren't. This isn't 2007 Nintendo, please. You're trailing on too hot of territory to continue down this path.
Nintendo has always been slow to adapt

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
The slowing to adapt bit could lead Nintendo to hitting its own iceberg.
Arrogance is what's hurting Nintendo, they think that people will buy their games because they are Nintendo, a name alone won't get you anything, Nintendo should know that. Nintendo has been compared to a stubborn old man who refuses to change, even though change is in his best interest

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Well, to be fair, Splatoon and SSB4 don't have online voice chat and online tourneys were kinda half-*****.

Nintendo's excuse for not having voice chat in those games is stupid. As for the local multiplayer thing, like SSB4, I highly doubt I see myself playing Splatoon all that much because none of the people I know around here own a Wii U. The games are fun for a while, but I'll get tired of them pretty quickly (like recently with MK8). Playing with people you don't know just isn't as fun as playing with people you do know, and it's one of the reasons why I'll probably stick with single player games from now on.

They just need to make more games that cater to Western audiences more. The fact that Nintendo only caters to their home country these days just gives their Western audiences a reason to back away from them.

Honestly, I think every Nintendo fan should be concerned right now. Notice how the PS4 and the Xbox One, that you still sit on your *** like in the olden days, its not wireless, and guess what? They're selling out like Girl Scout Cookies.

Nintendo needs to do something about this before things get real nasty for them later on. Hardcore Nintendo fans think they're still in an okay position, but they're really not.

You know a company's in bad shape if the only thing that sells extremely well for them are plastic toys. That's how bad their position is right now.

Arrogance is what's hurting Nintendo, they think that people will buy their games because they are Nintendo, a name alone won't get you anything, Nintendo should know that. Nintendo has been compared to a stubborn old man who refuses to change, even though change is in his best interest
People buy their consoles for third party games along with what Nintendo offers, but they just don't see that. Times like this is why I hope they bring new blood in for the company. While everyone's moved on, Nintendo's still stuck in the 80's & 90's.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I cannot stress this enough, all of the current criticisms that people are throwing at Nintendo are the same criticisms that were being slung at them back in the late 90s during the N64 era, and those same criticisms would be continue to be hurled their way for the next twenty years.

People seem to look back on the N64 and GCN and act like they're some kind of miracle machines, or will point to their large library of wonderful games and will ask why Nintendo just can't do that again. The fact is, the N64 and GCN didn't get their amazing libraries overnight. Both consoles were infamous for their slow release schedules and lack of third party support. Back in the 90s the Nintendo 64 was known as "that console that has a few fantastic games a year but nothing else." While the GameCube was either "that box you play blow the dust off to play Melee on" or "That kiddie lunchbox with no games."

Hell, most of N64 and GCN's most beloved games didn't get released to a ton of hype and acclaim. For the most part, they were generally buried and forgotten under piles of other games coming out on other consoles at the time. Many of these games were vindicated through word of mouth and change in attitude as time marched on. To put this into perspective, ten years ago I distinctly remember that disliking or being indifferent towards Majora's Mask was considered the norm.

Basically, what I'm saying is that in 2025 the Wii U will probably be seen as this unappreciated gem of a console with a ton of fantastic games while people cry "OMG NINTENDO WHY WON'T YOU MAKE ANOTHER CONSOLE LIKE THE WII U?"

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Basically, we have no idea what we are talking about.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I cannot stress this enough, all of the current criticisms that people are throwing at Nintendo are the same criticisms that were being slung at them back in the late 90s during the N64 era, and those same criticisms would be continue to be hurled their way for the next twenty years.

People seem to look back on the N64 and GCN and act like they're some kind of miracle machines, or will point to their large library of wonderful games and will ask why Nintendo just can't do that again. The fact is, the N64 and GCN didn't get their amazing libraries overnight. Both consoles were infamous for their slow release schedules and lack of third party support. Back in the 90s the Nintendo 64 was known as "that console that has a few fantastic games a year but nothing else." While the GameCube was either "that box you play blow the dust off to play Melee on" or "That kiddie lunchbox with no games."

Hell, most of N64 and GCN's most beloved games didn't get released to a ton of hype and acclaim. For the most part, they were generally buried and forgotten under piles of other games coming out on other consoles at the time. Many of these games were vindicated through word of mouth and change in attitude as time marched on. To put this into perspective, ten years ago I distinctly remember that disliking or being indifferent towards Majora's Mask was considered the norm.

Basically, what I'm saying is that in 2025 the Wii U will probably be seen as this unappreciated gem of a console with a ton of fantastic games while people cry "OMG NINTENDO WHY WON'T YOU MAKE ANOTHER CONSOLE LIKE THE WII U?"
Its the quality of the games I'd argue Nintendo needs to reflect on. In the last 5 years, with the exception of Smash 4, the quality of the games has gone down like Nintendo sunk their battleship (i.e. MP 9, to a lesser extent Donkey Kong Country Returns) . When I think Nintendo should go back to the days of the GCN or N64, its not because of the consoles. Its because of the magic and higher quality those games possessed. Yes, maybe they were delayed but as the saying goes, "Good things come to those who wait."

Now you can't stare me straight in the eye and say Super Mario 64 or SSB Melee were low quality games with a straight face. You can't say it was sheer coincidence Super Mario Sunshine, Star Fox Adventures, and Luigi's Mansion got "Players Choice" awards, it wasn't. It ties back to the quality of those games, it has nothing to do with the consoles.

Nintendo has its fans, Sony has its fans, Microsoft has its fans. Maybe the success of Call Of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, and Halo to name some of f the tip of my tongue ate up room that could have been used as Nintendo's Promotional space, maybe not but here are the facts as I see them.

Nintendo was once the leader, the innovator behind video games, its last real innovation being the Wii. Now might be just the time to not be a leader, but to follow suit in their competitors footsteps even if it means the next console were to be influenced by the Xbox One or PS4. Don't forget the real quality that came out of the games between 1996 and 2007, whether or not they were sensational. Take the high quality you had in the past and apply it to the future. Stop worrying about trying to make innovation, force creativity when the time isn't right. Sometimes people just like things the way they are.

Increase the timeframe and the effort put into your games, don't rush it and do a half assed job (that's already shown itself). I firmly believe following a formula like this will begin a path to success for Nintendo.

At the end of the day, only one thing matters.
Quality.

finalark

SNORLAX
Its the quality of the games I'd argue Nintendo needs to reflect on. In the last 5 years, with the exception of Smash 4, the quality of the games has gone down like Nintendo sunk their battleship (i.e. MP 9, to a lesser extent Donkey Kong Country Returns) . When I think Nintendo should go back to the days of the GCN or N64, its not because of the consoles. Its because of the magic and higher quality those games possessed. Yes, maybe they were delayed but as the saying goes, "Good things come to those who wait."

Lets go ahead and review the games that Nintendo has made since 2010.

Starting with the Wii, 2010 saw the release of the well-loved Mario Galaxy 2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Admittedly, we did get a major flop in the form of Metroid Other M. Although this year also saw the (Japanese) release of what would become a major cult classic, Xenoblade. EU and AUS would have to wait until 2011 while NA would have to wait until 2012.

In 2011 we saw the next major entry in the Zelda franchise, Skyward Sword as well as a new console release for Kirby, in this case being Return to Dreamland. I haven't played either but as far as I know Return to Dreamland is rather well like. As far Skyward Sword goes, well, it's rather controversial in the LoZ community. But when you've been a LoZ fan for as long as I have you know that the haters will be singing its praises once the next major game comes out, so the couscous is pretty moot right now.

2012 was a dry year for Nintendo. NA got Xenoblade, but aside from that the Wii U came out at the very, very tail end of the year giving us Super Mario Bros. U.

2013 was the Wii U's first year. In hindsight, there was a decent abundance of Nintendo games. Pikmin 3 got its long awaited third installment, Isometric Mario got its first console release with Mario 3D World, the HD port of Wind Waker came out and The Wonderful 101, which is destined to become a cult classic five years from now, hit store shelves.

2014 was year two for the WIi U. We got the widely acclaimed Bayonetta 2 as well as the best version of Bayonetta 1, the praised and well-liked Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, the surprisingly popular Hyrule Warriors (just check out the thread we have for it here, I'm pretty sure it is the most active thread in the LoZ room), Japan got the fifth installment in the legendary horror series Fatal Frame (which NA will be getting in two months, I am beyond hyped). That's not mentioning their multiplayer outings like Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8.

And now we're in 2015. So far, Nintendo has released the popular and hyped Splatoon, Yoshi's Woolly World in EU and JP with the promise of Xenoblade X and Star Fox Zero on the horizon.

Honestly, if you have the gall to say that all of these games I just listed are lower or less magic compared to GCN era games then you are undeniably choking on your own nostalgia.

I'd also like to point out that the release schedule was just as sparse back then, and Nintendo still had hardly any third party games to hold you over while you waited.

Now you can't stare me straight in the eye and say Super Mario 64 or SSB Melee were low quality games with a straight face. You can't say it was sheer coincidence Super Mario Sunshine, Star Fox Adventures, and Luigi's Mansion got "Players Choice" awards, it wasn't. It ties back to the quality of those games, it has nothing to do with the consoles.

Shadow the Hedgehog and Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly also got Player's Choice. What's your point?

Nintendo has its fans, Sony has its fans, Microsoft has its fans. Maybe the success of Call Of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, and Halo to name some of f the tip of my tongue ate up room that could have been used as Nintendo's Promotional space, maybe not but here are the facts as I see them.

Nintendo's been struggling since the N64. Competitor's games have always outshined Nintendo's in terms of marketing.

Nintendo was once the leader, the innovator behind video games, its last real innovation being the Wii. Now might be just the time to not be a leader, but to follow suit in their competitors footsteps even if it means the next console were to be influenced by the Xbox One or PS4. Don't forget the real quality that came out of the games between 1996 and 2007, whether or not they were sensational. Take the high quality you had in the past and apply it to the future. Stop worrying about trying to make innovation, force creativity when the time isn't right. Sometimes people just like things the way they are.
Nintendo has been behind the curve for years. Whoever the hell thought that sticking with cartridges and a bizarrely designed controller during the N64 era was a good idea probably should have been kicked into a less influential department. I'm sure it's the same guy who assure executives that online was a fad that they didn't need to support while MS and Sony proved that wasn't the case with the success of games like Halo 2 and Final Fantasy XI.

Increase the timeframe and the effort put into your games, don't rush it and do a half ***** job (that's already shown itself). I firmly believe following a formula like this will begin a path to success for Nintendo.

Care to enlighten me on what recent Nintendo games you feel were rushed and half assed?

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Mario Party 9 - Not enough effort was put into the minigames, there was no creativity at all with the controls.d

Donkey Kong Country Returns - Simply put, game was too easy and simply not challenging enough (I completed it in a days time). Even in the "harder" stages, it was easy to figure out the objective. Got boring real quick. Good attempt though to reboot a classic.

If you yet need another example, or a more modern one, look no further than Star Fox Zero. I literally felt nauseous, looks like Nintendo retched up Star Fox 64 once more. Could've done better (Nintendo argues they're reinventing Star Fox, but from the first two levels in the demo its clear they just put out the 1997 version again with a few modifications). As a SF fan, I literally felt like puking after seeing the E3 trailer.

Super Mario Galaxy was good, Mario needed a change in location. I felt though in the 2nd, it was odd Rosy didn't play a role like in the 1st. You got Lubba, but I wanted Rosy back.

If I had to pick out a game from the GCN days that kinda came off bland out of the blue, I look no further than to Pikmin (odd you brought that up). You asked me to elaborate, so I'm giving you a high dosage of elaboration. I got through a couple levels then just stopped - it was boring me to tears. Still today it astounds me Pikmin ever came close to lifting off the ground.

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly wasn't all that bad of a game.
Never played Shadow The Hedgehog (or any Sonic game for that matter, with the exception of Sonic Heroes vaguely) nor have I a Zelda game.

I still have to play Yoshi's Wooly World, but the graphics in that game remind me oddly enough of Yoshi's Story that came out on the N64.

Before Smash 4, I never heard of Xenoblade (maybe because like FE, it made its mark mostly in Japan) and wasn't viral in the North American market, unlike FE that picked up steam in the North American market).

Splatoon looks like Nintendo's aim to become more online/multiplayer friendly, I think of the Inklings as reshaped Miis, the games focus centered mainly on paintballing.
Basically from your post, you're saying Nintendo is slowly nearing its own grave, or implying so?

I invest in games that I feel tell compelling stories, have interesting characters, and offer more fluid challenges. I got DK Country Returns as a Xmas present so that wasn't really my call. I want Nintendo to succeed, and I hate seeing the direction in which they're going.

The GCN games I listed met my criteria. SMS and SF Adventures had entertaining dialogue and interesting characters, as well as a good foundation for their stories. Spyro, to a lesser extent, did as well. The games were challenging enough , and the controls were diverse. Honestly I'd love to see a Adventures Part 2, a Super Mario Sunshine Part 2, because those games have reserved a spot in my heart that is worth every penny of the $50 they were worth.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Nintendo also needs to do market research before releasing consoles in regions, and studying Microsoft and Sony very closely, whether Nintendo wants to admit it or not technically they are in competition, Nintendo needs an CEO that has both the competitive drive of Yamauchi with the focus on good games of Iwata, Nintendo should not be solely family-friendly, Nintendo should make games for EVERYONE!,

GenNyan

Smash Ace
The GCN games I listed met my criteria. SMS and SF Adventures had entertaining dialogue and interesting characters, as well as a good foundation for their stories. Spyro, to a lesser extent, did as well. The games were challenging enough , and the controls were diverse. Honestly I'd love to see a Adventures Part 2, a Super Mario Sunshine Part 2, because those games have reserved a spot in my heart that is worth every penny of the $50 they were worth.
Super Mario Sunshine? Good story? Its an amazing game, but as far as story goes, its preeeeety barebones. And that bowser voice acting is absolutely terrible. "Those games have reserved a spot in my heart" as the reason they're better than modern games sounds like you're just a little nostalgia-blind. This is coming from someone who got SMS when he was 6.
See below
|||||||||||||||
VVVVVV
Honestly, if you have the gall to say that all of these games I just listed are lower or less magic compared to GCN era games then you are undeniably choking on your own nostalgia.

If you yet need another example, or a more modern one, look no further than Star Fox Zero. I literally felt nauseous, looks like Nintendo retched up Star Fox 64 once more. Could've done better (Nintendo argues they're reinventing Star Fox, but from the first two levels in the demo its clear they just put out the 1997 version again with a few modifications). As a SF fan, I literally felt like puking after seeing the E3 trailer.
You judged those games (That haven't even released yet!) based on a demo/presentation that you (probably) didn't even play. 10 outa 10.

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace

I've said this before, but I'm already aware that both the N64 & GCN have the same problems as the Wii U right now. My main problem with Nintendo currently is the quality of their games. They feel extremely cheap compared to their games from the past three decades. I mean, compare a game like OOT to SS. I may find OOT overrated, but it's still a far better game than SS. SS has far too many problems to make the game fun to me. Only current games I really like from Nintendo are Kid Icarus: Uprising, SSB4, and to a small extent, Splatoon.

Nintendo really needs to do better with not just the third party support, but the quality of their titles, too. No one will buy their consoles if it's nothing but crap on them.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Super Mario Sunshine? Good story? Its an amazing game, but as far as story goes, its preeeeety barebones. And that bowser voice acting is absolutely terrible. "Those games have reserved a spot in my heart" as the reason they're better than modern games sounds like you're just a little nostalgia-blind. This is coming from someone who got SMS when he was 6.
See below
|||||||||||||||
VVVVVV

You judged those games (That haven't even released yet!) based on a demo/presentation that you (probably) didn't even play. 10 outa 10.
They are mainly based off first impressions, and from a consumer standpoint, if the first impression often makes or breaks the deal depending on what you're selling. Would you buy a truck that was all rusty? Maybe as SF Zero approaches its release date, and more and more reviews (or screenshots) surface, my perception will change. Until then I rest my case.

SMS, okay the story wasn't all glimmer. It was nice however, getting Mario away from the Mushroom Kingdom. The characters were well done, even the secondary characters, and the missions were enjoyable.

People complain about the graphics in SF Zero from what they saw. I have no problem with the graphics, my problem exists mainly with other aspects as the game, such as the lack of cutscenes (which have shown to work in SF very well), the absence of on foot missions, and not being able to play as Fox as himself instead you got this chicken-looking device that was scrapped in SF 2.

Demos are my first stage of looking into investing in that product. Had Smash 4 had a crappy demo, I probably wouldn't have bought it nor probably be here right now. If I like the demo, I'll go out to Gamestop or Best Buy and try the demo out for myself. At that point, if the glove fits, I'll look into pricing for the game and where to get the best deal. I'm willing to give SF Zero a second chance, just because I'm that much of a SF fan. After all, the game is still in development and considered as such until its released.

First impressions matter a lot when you're going to be tossing $60 into the product.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
First impressions matter a lot when you're going to be tossing $60 into the product.
Sure, thats fine and all, but you these were your primary examples as "proof" of your argument that old games were a higher quality than newer games.

finalark

SNORLAX

Knee-jerk reactions are not the best way to judge games. I'll admit that I'm still in the "Star Fox Zero looks like a Star Fox 64 rehash" but I say that with skepticism. The fact is, we've only gotten a few trailers and a very short demo that most of us haven't even played to go off. It's okay to be skeptical, but you we won't know for sure until the game comes out.

Besides, previews don't always line up to the actual product. For a good example of this, see Metal Gear Solid 2.
Super Mario Galaxy was good, Mario needed a change in location. I felt though in the 2nd, it was odd Rosy didn't play a role like in the 1st. You got Lubba, but I wanted Rosy back.

I don't think it's fair to dismiss an entire game just because a character is absent. Big Boss, my favorite Metal Gear character, doesn't even show up in half the games but this doesn't make them bad games because Naked Snake isn't kicking around.
If I had to pick out a game from the GCN days that kinda came off bland out of the blue, I look no further than to Pikmin (odd you brought that up). You asked me to elaborate, so I'm giving you a high dosage of elaboration. I got through a couple levels then just stopped - it was boring me to tears. Still today it astounds me Pikmin ever came close to lifting off the ground.

I didn't care much for Pikmin either. The last thing I'd call it is bland, though. You can umbrella the game under the "strategy game" label but I feel like the core draw of the game is that it's a survival game with a ton of micromanagement. I was like, eight, when I played and I remember finding it to be a very overwhelming game. I feel like I should go back to it and give it another chance some day.

Either way, even if a game isn't for you it doesn't make it bad. Obviously the mechanics making up the main draw of the game worked for a ton of people .
Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly wasn't all that bad of a game.

Near unplayable frame rate, glitches that would make Sonic '06 blush, loading screens that had loading screens, uninspired and boring levels, incredibly forgettable challenges, loads upon loads of obvious cut content, what was basically a $50 alpha.

Are you sure we played the game game?
I still have to play Yoshi's Wooly World, but the graphics in that game remind me oddly enough of Yoshi's Story that came out on the N64.

It's a new Yoshi game. The first game in the Yoshi series was Yoshi's Island back on the SNES, which established that having childish but charming graphics is kind of the series' thing.
Before Smash 4, I never heard of Xenoblade (maybe because like FE, it made its mark mostly in Japan) and wasn't viral in the North American market, unlike FE that picked up steam in the North American market).

Two words: cult classic.

Just because the game didn't sell a million copies (and obvious its still in high demand, given its used price) doesn't make it a bad game or non-noteworthy release. As I said, most of the N64 and GameCube's most beloved games like the previously mentioned Yoshi's Island, Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, even the beloved Majora's Mask flew under the radar at best and were panned by both fans and critics at worst. Over time these games were retroactively loved as people went back to them and gave them another chance or as the haters went on the hate other things while those who loved those games had a chance to speak up about them.

Besides, don't the words "Project Rainfall" ring a bell?
Splatoon looks like Nintendo's aim to become more online/multiplayer friendly, I think of the Inklings as reshaped Miis, the games focus centered mainly on paintballing.
Basically from your post, you're saying Nintendo is slowly nearing its own grave, or implying so?

Nintendo has too much money to fail. Even when their consoles fail they always make up lost profits with their handhelds. The fact that the DS, 3DS and Wii were so successful means that Nintendo is at a point where they can make any zany console they want five times over.

Besides, Nintendo can't die. They are the very, very important captain of the USS Games Industry that's keeping the whole damn thing from falling apart while its derpy little cabin boys Microsoft and Sony keep trying to outdo each other by making what boils down to the same box with a different logo on it.

I invest in games that I feel tell compelling stories, have interesting characters, and offer more fluid challenges. I got DK Country Returns as a Xmas present so that wasn't really my call. I want Nintendo to succeed, and I hate seeing the direction in which they're going.

As @ GenNyan GenNyan said, you can't really say you like games that tell compelling stories and have interesting characters and then go and say Mario Sunshine has an eternal place in your heart. And honestly, if that's what you value in a game then maybe Nintendo isn't for you. Aside from maybe Fire Emblem and Zelda (which are both honestly kind of bland as far as fantasy works go, with Zelda using its iconic status to evade this label) I don't think Nintendo is for you, since over the last thirty plus years they've proven that making games with a compelling narrative is not their prerogative.

Note to say that's a bad thing, mind you. No all games need story and many are better off without it.

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I grew up with Nintendo, from the time I got a N64 as a Xmas present in 1996, I'm not going to give it up anytime soon. Somebody once asked, "Do you think Nintendo is the Disney of video games?" If I thought Nintendo was even close to being like Disney, I would have left Nintendo a long time ago.

Aren't video games driven by a story, a plot? Even Five Nights at Freddy's has a plot (keep Animatronics from getting in the room and mauling you to death with their love). At this point, I'd argue that both movies and video games share the importance of having a good plot, driving the whole reason for the protagonist going up against the antagonist. Putting the criteria aside I've listed, maybe what I'm really looking for is the quality of the game (going back to what I said earlier about the importance of quality in a game). You want a example of that?

Take Mario Party 4 (2002) are compared to Mario Party 9 (2012). MP 4 had much more diverse controls, and more interesting minigames whereas MP 9 was more stagnant with their controls and the minigames weren't nearly as interesting.

At the end of the day, you need characters gamers, like movie watchers, can connect to (which can highlight the importance of cutscenes) or else the game has to rely on the plot, the storyline. If you have neither or those, its as if you developed a game just for the life experience. Not to say video games that lack either can't be good, but they are put at a disadvantage compared to games that do.

I will add that maybe the death of Iwata and Miyamoto probably soon seeking retirement could open up an opportunity for Nintendo to make a fresh start. Use the fresh start to make games with engaging characters or a well-developed plot rather than merely just adding to the portfolio.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This is becoming a nostalgia fest.

finalark

SNORLAX
Aren't video games driven by a story, a plot? Even Five Nights at Freddy's has a plot (keep Animatronics from getting in the room and mauling you to death with their love). At this point, I'd argue that both movies and video games share the importance of having a good plot, driving the whole reason for the protagonist going up against the antagonist.
Scenario. The word you are looking for is a scenario. A story is a narrative with a three act structure, a plot is a series of events. A scenario is an outline of what's happening, but not necessarily a story. A good scenario can give your game a theme that you could use to inspire mechanics, but you don't necessarily need a story.

For example, chess has medieval warfare as its theme, with its scenario being that both players are enemies nations, but no real story to speak of. There are no characters who have no relationships with
one another, no antagonists and motivations. It's simply a strategy games with mind-numbing depth.

Moving into the realm of video games, there are a ton of games that rely on having a scenario but no real story. Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Civilization and Kirby's Air Ride are all good examples of this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom