• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Game of the Week - Animal Crossing: Wild World

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I can understand if someone doesn't want to watch the Let's Play videos anymore, but the entire game itself ruined because of it? It's not like he personally created Pikmin or owns the rights to the IP.

I mean you'd pretty much have to stop supporting dozens of Nintendo and 3rd Party games then, including the first three Paper Mario games, all three Earthbound games, the first five generations of mainline Pokemon, every 3D Mario game from 64 - Galaxy 2, the first two Xenoblade games, several major Zelda games, every Mario Party from 1 - DS, etc. It's one thing to separate the art from the official artist, but separating the art from a completely unaffiliated fan artist....

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
I still like the game and I MIGHT rewatch those videos again after a lengthy amount of time.
Sorry for bring him up though.
I didn't mean to start that kind of conversation.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I know the whole "your favorite YouTuber is secretly a total skeeve" thing has happened so often that it's literally a meme at this point, but I gotta say, Chugga wasn't on my bingo card.

I only sporadically watched his stuff so I'm only now hearing about this.
Looked up a timeline of it all and yeah, It's really thrown me for a loop.

This is sounding similar to something that happened with Byleth's old voice actor.
He got called out for some not okay s***, admitted to it, spent a year in therapy and came out the other side a better person and eventually got back into VA.

I want to believe Emile can do the same, but it's going to take a lot of work, and he absolutely needs to feel all the consequences so he doesn't relapse.
Seems like there's several people here that got their start on Pikmin with the second game, and I'm no different.

My brother and I were totally enamored with the game and wanted to play the first one, but it wasn't until around 2007 that we'd get that chance.

I remember being intimidated by the 30 day limit just like everyone else. It's pretty funny to look back on considering my last run from a few years ago was only 14 or 15.

Really loved the whole atmosphere of this game. The title theme, end of day logs, and general loneliness of the game give it a "dangerous uncharted wilderness" vibe.
The visuals and even the sound design have this hazy, dreamlike quality that I'm not entirely sure was intentional. (Has anyone played the Switch port? Is it still like this?)

Gameplay definitely has some rough edges compared to the later ones, and if you're new you're bound to have a mishap or three involving explosives and other AI shenanigans like Pikmin stumbling off ledges or getting jammed under bridges.

I credit this game, among others, with helping me become a bit of a "jank whisperer."
I can enjoy a lot of older games by getting a feel for the jank and working with it.

My favorite area has to be the Forest Navel.
I love the concept of it taking place in a sinkhole where you start on top of a brightly lit mound of dirt and rocks, with the edges of the map being almost pitch black due to not being hit by any sunlight.

This is also where the I think the strategy part of the game shines the most. Taking out enemies, building ramps and blasting away walls in order to turn the path to camp from a zigzag to a straight shot up the hill is so satisfying.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Cant speak for the balance of Pikmin as i havent played it yet but felt like it was good in Pikmin 2 (the only one ive played). Need to play this series more, have enjoyed what i have played so much so that i do own the whole series.

Do find the time limit of the 1st game intimidating (especially when i was a series newcomer) considering i personally tend to take my time though games (my playthroughs are normally longer than average). Will get to it someday but am planning 4 then 3 before even gettng to 1 assuming 5 or later doesnt come out in between

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I started this series with Pikmin 2 and regarded it as my favorite game of all time. Once I got around to Pikmin 1, that dethroned it.

The strategy and time management in this game is simply pristine. I love planning out each day and micromanaging my Pikmin so that I'm as efficient as possible, that kind of gameplay is rewarding in itself. Pikmin 1's challenge mode might be my favorite in the series next to 3's; you're dumped in a modified version of one of the levels, filled to the brim with pellets and/or enemies, and you're given one simple goal; sprout as many Pikmin as you can. For how simple it is, it's surprisingly addictive and chasing a high score is extremely fun, even if you don't get one.

The aesthetic and mood is super unique and honestly better than every subsequent game in the series, and honestly the weird transitional style of graphics it has (like its in some sort of limbo between N64 graphics and fully realized Gamecube graphics) really does wonders for making it stand out from many other games aesthetically. I love the well-defined area music of each location and how they change as you play; the themes are distinct from the following entries for how somber and humble most of them are, the Forest Navel and Impact Site themes have to be my favorites.

The 30 day time limit really isn't an issue, if you're a competent player you'll finish with a few days to spare. I wish it didn't turn off so many people from this game because if you know what you're doing its essentially a non-factor, and people scared off by it will never know the satisfaction of Pikmin 1's progression gameplay loop.

Is it perfect? No. Pikmin AI is dumb, they don't respond as tightly as the newer games, and its short... but for what it is, it's honestly endlessly replayable, and that's what I really value out of my games.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
So what are your thoughts on the Pikmin balance in the first game?
It's pretty alright for the most part.

It isn't really the type of game you could do a tier list for.
While Red Pikmin are technically the most useless in that they aren't required for anything beyond Day 2, in practice they're going to be by far your most used type due to their combat abilities.

Blues are kind of in a weird spot where they're absolutely necessary for water traversal, but totally worthless when it doesn't come up.

Yellows are consistently useful but you never really need more than a small amount of them at any one time.

My recommended squad for most of the game would be:
50 Reds
30 Blues
20 Yellows
(Throw this out the window when you reach the final boss and just go 95 Red and 5 Yellow, lmao)

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Reds are mainly used for combat stuff, they are the go to Pikmin for me when it comes to land fighting.

Yellows are useful in very specific situations, since this is the only game without electricity, they're mainly just for blowing up walls with bomb rocks and getting high to reach ship parts.

Blues are essential for water, the player is going to be using them a lot especially in the Distant Spring where large portions of the map are aquatic. Water as an element is the most encompassing one since it covers entire areas to traverse through.

And yes, I usually like to create at least 100 of each color just for funsies by the end of a playthrough, cause I also like big numbers.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Okay, I didn't originally have this opening paragraph as part of my post, but I'm adding right now that this is gonna be a particularly big post from me here lol.

Pikmin is a game I have a storied history with. I originally discovered it through the semi-early trailer of the game in the Luigi's Mansion Options/Bonus Features menu. I'm not sure exactly what it was that got me as invested in it, whether it was the Pikmin themselves and the gameplay of building, controlling and defending a massive army of them that could fight hostile creatures and carry items to help benefit them and the player, the hostile creatures like Bulborbs themselves, or all of the above combined that it was a science fiction game with an emphasis on space and (what I thought at the time)) interplanetary exploration, but I was absolutely fascinated by the trailer, and it became yet another Gamecube game that I really wanted ot play. I eventually had my mom look at the same trailer for the game and requested her to try looking for it, but she was unable to find it.

A few years later, however, she was able to find that the more recent Pikmin 2 was still widely available, and got that for me intstead. Despite my lack of familiarty with the first game's mechanics and story, I still found myself absolutely hooked on the game for it's gameplay and character and creature designs. I was fascinated by the real-time strategy and growing mechanics, an the game even helped me better understand mathematics, in particular early level fractions, the latter of which my mom was happy about when I told her lol.

But as this is about the first game, I'll refrain from discussing the sequel too much until it gets brought up here as the future topic of discussion for the week. Instead, I wanted to bring this up to discuss my introduction to the franchise and to lead into how I eventually did get the first game: a few years after being Pikmin 2, my mom surprised me when I woke up one morning with a small gift bag, mostly containing gifts themed-around penguins (why penguins? Because my family and I had recently watched Happy Feet, and we loved it), but the one item that wasn't penguin-related happened to be a copy of the first Pikmin game that my mom had finally found and bought. I was positively delighted, and got to playing the game either later that very day or the next one. I don't remember for sure.

Having started with the sequel, I'll admit that going into 1 was a bit odd. I was almost more interested in the fact that most of the game's original areas returned and evolved into the new locations in Pikmin 2, as well as moreso the game's intriguing and saddening storyline of Olimar being stranded and trying to return home before his life support system gave out than I was invested in the gameplay itself. Part of this was because compared to the first, the game seemed...slower-paced and more difficult for weird reasons. Pikmin took longer to drink nectar and turn into Flower Pikmin from it, enemies showed up at more random days, there were no Purple or White Pikmin yet, enemies had abilities in the first game that they lacked in the sequel (like how Sheargrubs had invincibility when chewing on Pikmin and would only die after swallowing them even if they were completely drained of their heatlh while attacking, and how Swooping Snitchbugs could roam the entire area map freely), Pikmin died of most hazards far more quickly, barely giving the player any time to whistle them to safety, electricty wasn't present as a hazard yet and the Yellow Pikmin had the unique but odd ability to carry Bomb Rocks instead, etc. I have to admit that while I enjoyed the game, I was a little disappointed and frustrated with the difficulty of the game at the time after enjoying 2 so much.

That being said, I was still invested in the gameplay and setting and, after totally screwing up my first run, was determined to do better and finish the game for real. I eventually succeeded, and boy almighty was I shocked to find out that not only did the final area later make up part of Pikmin 2's own final area, but that the final boss was none other than a far larger and stronger Emperor Bulblax itself, an enemy that initially terrified me and decimated my army when I first encountered it in Pikmin 2. Beating it after a long, grueling battle (yeah, I had no idea how to use effective Bomb Rock strategies on it at the time lol) and finally getting to send Olimar home was massively satisfying and heartwarming, more so seeing that the Pikmin had learned to start standing up for themselves in the process.

Looking back, I honestly don't think I looked at the game that fairly at first. Sure, I was young at the time, but I played the sequel first and had read the dialogue and got invested into the storyo f that one just fine. In hindisght, I really don't know why I ever skipped over so much of the dialogue in 1 considering that. I was also constantly comparing the game's mechanics and difficulty level to those of 2, and it made me think that the game was poorly made or unfair compared to the later games. Nowadays, I have a much higher appreciation for the story for developing so much of Olimar's character and giving more insight on his thoughts and self-doubt as a leader and his family life, as well as giving the player a real sense of isolation even with the Pikmin's presence and help, simply for being stranded on the dangerous planet to begin, and sympathy and emotional impact for his desperation to return home to his family and home planet alive. His journal log entries are still a major highlight of the game.

Gameplay-wise, while I still think some of the game's mechanics haven't aged as well as 2 or even 3's, I do appreciate it for offering a high challenge with so many of it's boss fights and more dangerous hazards and enemies, although, I'm still glad both the New Play Control! edition and the sequels gave players a more reasonable window of time to save Pikmin from fire and water bubbles considering how far Pikmin could quickly scatter when struck by them, I do think the game still offered a greater challenge in terms of enemies compared to most of 2's, as most of them had higher health in the first game and many also had more difficult to dodge attack. The 30 day time limit, however, I didn't particularly miss, as while it does offer a greater challenge as well and the sense of urgency adds more layers to the story, the sequels giving the players far more time to grow and manage Pikmin squads was a welcome change as it allows the player to better realize the full potential of each Pikmin type and build up their numbers and customize their squads to their needs without a major rush that could ruin the save file's run. Still, I appreciated that the game offered more difficulty even so.

Regardless of the game's flaws and how some elements of the gameplay haven't aged well compared to how the sequels handled things...The game has far more pros that far outweight it's fewer cons. I have a massive amount of nostalgia for this game and it along with the whole Pikmin franchise holds a special place in my heart. While ranking the Pikmin games has and always will be difficult for me, I'd still recommend it for it's phenomenal gameplay and the challenges it offers, as well as the game's story and writing being among some of Nintendo's best. The franchise remained underrated up until Pikmin 3 brought the series back into the limelight, and I still think it deserves more attention to this day.

If you have money and time to spare, pick this game and it's sequel up on the Switch. You won't regret it. Especially if you're a fan of Real-Time Strategy Games and science fiction genre tales with an emotional core.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hi guys, I'm going to have to extend this week.

So keep talking about Pikmin I guess.

What's your favorite boss in the first game?

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Hi guys, I'm going to have to extend this week.

So keep talking about Pikmin I guess.

What's your favorite boss in the first game?
Smoky Progg, definitely.

•Spooky design
•Sad lore
•Arguably the deadliest enemy in the game
•Is the only enemy who can kill rooted Pikmin and makes a beeline to your base as soon as it spawns
•Only appears before Day 15 in a late-game area, so first time players probably won't even see it

It's like if one of those proto-Creepypasta stories some kid told you at the playground was actually real.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
It's always fun to remember that Pikmin started as this.

View attachment 385809

I do wonder what would have happened if Super Mario 128 actually released.
Definitely would changed a lot of things.

From what I remember SM 128 was going to be on the 64DD, but when that failed they retooled it into a GameCube tech demo.
The physics ended up inspiring the gravity and planet mechanics of Galaxy.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Some things glitter in the darkness!

Pokemon Gold, Silver, Crystal, HeartGold and SoulSilver

Game Summary:
Back in the late 90's, Pokemon was a massive sucess. How could you even follow up something as massive as the Gen 1 Pokemon games? You try and fit the next game with as much content as possible. Pokemon Gold and Silver added around 100 more Pokemon and the dark and steel type. Players explored the brand new Johto region, earned eight more badges and fought the Pokemon League just like before. But to many player's surprise, they unlocked the Kanto region after the end of the game. That's right, this was the first Pokemon game to star two different regions! Gen 2 also introduced a day and night cycle, Pokemon breeding, baby Pokemon, held items, berry trees and several methods of evolution. Many of the things that make modern Pokemon games were introduced way back in Generation 2.

Crystal was an updated rerelease that gave fan favorite Suicune more prominence, while changing many things to make it THE best Gen 2 experience possible. Many years later, Gold and Silver would be remade into HeartGold and SoulSilver on the DS. These remakes took the QoL features of the Gen IV games and brought them to the Johto region. The Johto region had never looked better and several new Pokemon and features had snuck their way in. Evolutions for past Pokemon were added to the Pokedex, new routes were added and even a series of new minigames were included. Pokemon now followed you in the overworld.The game even introduced a pedometer! The Pokewalker let people take their Pokemon on the go and walk around with them to get bonuses.

This generation introduced many fan favorites including Pichu, Espeon, Umbreon, Scizor, Luigi, Suicune and of course, Wooper.

Initial Release:
Gold and Silver: November 21, 1999
Crystal: December 14, 2000
HeartGold and SoulSilver: September 12, 2009

Playable on...
  • GBC
  • DS
  • 3DS

Notable Character Debuts:
  • All Gen 2 Pokemon
  • Pichu:ultpichu:

Current Metacritic Scores:
The Game Boy games are too old for Metacritic.

HeartGold
Critics: 87
Players: 9.2

SoulSilver
Critics: 87
Players: 9.2

Confirmed Players:

• Swamp Sensei
Recommended by:

• Swamp Sensei

I have a strange relationship with Pokemon Gen 2. I played it a lot as a kid, but I never had a real passion for it like I had for Gens 1 and 3. It just doesn't feel like its own region, and instead feels like a sequel to Gen 1. It's level curve is... atrocious. While the curve allows for some cool nonlinearity, it makes the game lopsided and a real pain to train up any new members. HGSS fixed a lot of these issues, but its hard to get rid of Johto's structural problems.

Other than that, I love it. It has fantastic Pokemon, great music and the Lake of Rage event is super fun an interesting. It has Clair, who is one of my favorite gym leaders and the victory lap through Kanto is still fun. I love Skarmory, Ariados, and Steelix. I recommend it for any Pokemon fan and I think this game is one that can turn you into a Pokemon fan. I wouldn't recommend it for a first time Pokemon player though.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Let's ****ing gooooo!

I've got Gold, Silver, Crystal and HeartGold. Gen II has been my favourite for a long time. So many cool new Pokemon designs including my second and thrid favourite Pokemon ever (after Snorlax of course), Sudowoodo and Crobat . Not to mention other banger designs like Dunsparce, Gligar, the starters, the Gen II legendaries, the Gen II starters, Heracross, Shuckle, Scizor, Politoed, Mantine, Phanpy, Kingdra, Hitmontop, Larvitar ... (proceeds to list the rest of the Gen II Pokemon).

The region also has some really cool aesthetics. I really dug the traditional Japanese and Kyoto vibes. All of it is also combined with a great soundtrack. I would spend so many hour as a kid just going through Johto over and over listening to the soundtrack. Oh and as if one region wasn't cool enough, you get hit with what's possibly the coolest post game done in Pokemon, a revisit through Kanto. That's right, two regions, 16 badges to get and easily one of the most memorable 'final bosses' ever, Red, the protagonist from Gen I. He's basically a superboss with his Pokemon are levelled. Feels good to be able to beat him without any grinding whatsoever. His theme which he shares with Lance might be my favourite champion theme.

To make things even better for the remake, we got one of the coolest features in any Pokemon game. Every Pokemon could be outside following with you. Then there were other cool additions like going undercover in Team Rocket and expanding upon the Battle Tower in Crystal by putting in the Battle Frontier.

My copy of Gold also has a nice personal story. The game's use of an internal clock means the internal battery runs out quicker than Gen I. I was devastated when my battery ran out. Years later, one of my friends knew how much I loved the game and so as part of my birthday, gave me a 'Nintendo' screwdriver to open up the game pak and replace the battery. Such a small gift but one I really loved and and I don't think I've ever had so much fun going back and replaying a Pokemon game.

Also not quite related to the games but Johto also got my favourite opening for the anime. It's a whole new world we live. It's a whole new way to see. It's a whole new place, with a brand new attitude but you still gotta catch em all and be the best that you can be.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Some of my favorite games in the series. The fact that you can travel to two regions makes these in particular very special among the mainline games. Being able to see what happened to Kanto and all the changes that happened, I wish we could do that more often. The music and atmosphere of the games are amazing as well.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, who's your favorite Johto Pokemon?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Do you guys think switching to biweekly would work better?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
HGSS is absolutely up there as among my favourite Pokemon games. I dedicated so much time to it when I was a kid, and in a few ways, the first Pokemon game I REALLY got into as a Kid. Lugia is my favourite Pokemon and a lot of Johto Pokemon score highly on my list (shoutout to Heracross)

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
These are very special games for me. I'll be the first to admit they have flaws, the leveling curve is a joke, too many Johto Pokemon are rare or even shoved into Kanto, and Johto could've been a bit more fleshed out.

But warts and all, I love them. They came out exactly at the right time for me, still at the height of Pokemon so many of my friends were still playing and talking about the games and it was such a treat. Exploring the new region, getting all of the new Pokemon, appreciating the QoL updates, the new features like the Apricorn Balls and Day/Night cycle, and seeing the passage of time with certain trainers growing up and getting new teams. It was a special experience and I love how much it felt like the games pushed things forward.

HGSS was about the same, I wasn't that fond of the Sinnoh games at the time so I was starting to lose interest in the franchise and the remakes came out and completely grabbed my interest again. I loved the new little features they snuck into the game like the environmental updates that made Johto feel livelier or the Pokéathlon, which made me fall in love with the series again. I even went back to Platinum and found more things to enjoy with it, and it allowed me to stick around long enough to play the BW games which are also some of my favorites in the franchise. Johto on a personal level is a region I have a lot of fondness for, and one I do hope to see again in the future (especially in a Legends game).

So, who's your favorite Johto Pokemon?
Feraligatr, Ampharos, Espeon, Raikou, and Lugia.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
I've played through Johto so many times by now in different challenges, rom hacks, and vanilla playthroughs I can probably do the whole game blindfolded at this point. I have my issues with it but in terms of personal attachment it's my favorite region for sure

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I haven't gone back and replayed the Johto games since my original playthrough back when I was 10 or so (I don't like overwriting my save files, and there's only one save file to work with), but I do recall enjoying them. (I wasn't as interested in Pokemon by the time that Heart Gold and Soul Silver came out, though, so I missed out on them - in hindsight, there are probably a lot of DS games that I missed out on)

I don't recall what my reaction was to finding out about the inclusion of Kanto (though I was subscribed to Nintendo Power and tended to buy the strategy guides, especially for RPGs, so that likely gave away the surprise), but I do recall finding Entei, Raikou, and Suicune to be incredibly frustrating to find, let alone capture. (I'm not sure if I ever wound up capturing any of them, or if they're still roaming Johto)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I guarantee that essentially none of you have played this.

GYROMITE

Game Summary:
This game had a unique control scheme. On it's surface, Gyromite seems like a standard puzzle platformer, but the game actually uses a strange peripheral. R.O.B. the Robotic Operating Buddy is meant to control the game. While the player still controls Professor Hector, by pressing a button you can have the game emit a blue flash. This flash will be picked up by R.O.B.'s eyes and give a command. R.O.B. will move the gyromite to press a button, thus moving certain obstacles. Technically, the way R.O.B. is set up means that a second player could just control the obstacles, but that's not nearly as fun.

Initial Release:
August 13th, 1985

Playable on...
  • NES

Notable Character Debuts:
  • Professor Hector
  • R.O.B. :ultrob:

Current Metacritic Scores:
Gyromite is too old for metacritic.

Confirmed Players:

Recommended by:

I've never played this game. All I know is that its a historical curiosity. I can't really give any personal opinions on this one.

R.O.B. is funny I guess. I heard the game isn't particularly good, but that's about it.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I still don't understand why we never got a Gyromite stage.

Looking at gameplay, a stage that has rising and falling pillars seems like a no brainer.

Maybe because it wouldn't have much music? But Ice Climber and Duck Hunt use the miscellaneous music, so that can't be an issue.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I still don't understand why we never got a Gyromite stage.

Looking at gameplay, a stage that has rising and falling pillars seems like a no brainer.

Maybe because it wouldn't have much music? But Ice Climber and Duck Hunt use the miscellaneous music, so that can't be an issue.
My personal belief is because R.O.B. was never added because of the games he works to begin with, but rather for being the historically important accessory he is. Nintendo shows R.O.B. love all the time, but Stack and Gyromite? Basically never acknowledged.

R.O.B. is iconic. His games? Less so

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hi! I’m the one guy who played this!

Granted, it wasn’t with ROB lmao sorry little guy. Since the second controller can act as him though in emulators you can map the player 2 buttons to your controller, which actually turns it into a fun little game.
EDIT: Nevermind I can't read lmao

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Remember thinking ROB was some sort of new mascot character Nintendo was trying out in Mario Kart & Smash probably until around the AVGN episode.

Never thought about playing it on an emulator with 2 controllers mapped like RealLuigisWearPink mentioned. Now im kind of interested & might try that soon when i find time.

Top Bottom