• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Game of the Week - Animal Crossing: Wild World

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, do you think Assault is too short?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's been a while since I played it, but I think it was a good length. While it doesn't have the branching paths of Star Fox 64 to encourage replay value, it doesn't seem like you'd want a game like this to be too long or else it would feel like it drags on.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
So, do you think Assault is too short?
Definitely, yeah. 64 is short too but it at least makes up for it with its branching paths and replay-ability. If you're gonna make a linear Star Fox game in structure then be like Kid Icarus Uprising where there's a least ton more levels with variety and gimmicks and also a whole load of content in general.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
**** be wild!

Animal Crossing: Wild World

Game Summary:
Welcome back to the world of Animal Crossing. In this world, there's no war, no enemies and no deadlines. You just move into a new town full of animals and enjoy your new life. Players can explore, fish, catch bugs or garden as much as they like. They can socialize with neighbors, buy and sell things at the local store or even deposit things to the local museum. The game is all about relaxing and becoming a beloved member in your new community. Maybe you'll pay off loans and purchase a bigger house? Or perhaps you'd enjoy a cup of coffee and enjoy a concert?

Many of the older features of the past Animal Crossing games are still here. You can decorate and customize your house, upgrade items for further exploration and make friends. New to Wild World is multiplayer. Players can interact with their friend's towns through download or wifi play. The game also uses the console's unique touch screen controls to design clothes, draw constellations and interact with menus.

How do you want to spend your time in town?

Initial Release:
November 23, 2005

Playable on...
  • DS
  • Wii U

Notable Character Debuts:
  • Brewster
  • Celeste
  • Dr. Shrunk
  • Kaitlin
  • Katie

Current Metacritic Scores:
Critics:
Players: 8.1

Confirmed Players:

• Swamp Sensei
Recommended by:

• Swamp Sensei

Time for a hot take.

Animal Crossing bores me. Objectively, its a fantastic game. And I love the characters and the idea of the game, but it bores me pretty quickly. There isn't any real sense of progression. And I know that's the point, but its just not for me. Wild World is supposed to be one of the better games in the franchise but, its not the one I like the most,

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Twas a fun one till overall I got into something else.

The only one I keep up on is New Leaf(due to not getting the entire museum... yet. Diving is a pain compared to everything else. XD)

Laniv

Smash Champion
This might actually be the game I've put the most amount of hours into.

Animal Crossing Wild World was the first AC I ever played. It holds a very special place in my heart.

That said... it's biggest flaw is that it has the multiplayer do a lot of the heavy lifting.

The holidays from the previous game were removed (except for New Year's) and replaced with things like Yay Day, where you have to compliment your neighbors... and that's it. Yippee...

But the game did introduce elements that would become mainstays of the series. The rolling log style of scrolling, constellations, The Roost, and Shampoodle all started here.

It was a little strange to lock Shampoodle (and Nookington's) behind the multiplayer, though.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Remember having some really confusing discussions with classmatrs thinking we were about the gcn game & not this one. Feel like the series had a lot of mystique at the time of you can & cant do & with the earlier state of the internet found myself trying very hard to find extra customization in the 1st game.

Eventually figured out about this game & it was one of the games i got with my ds. Lots of fun & kind of crazy how it still in alot of cases felt like a step forward despite the weaker hardware. Eventually sold my copy. Justified it at the time since i had City Folk which felt like more of a port of Wild World rather than a new game. Regret it now as my original town covered with weeds replaced by bells thanks to action replay is long gone. Did rebuy it on wii u vc though.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I missed out on playing or getting a copy of Wild World.

But it's also the game that introduced a ton of new mechanics for the series going forward, so the game absolutely deserves credit for laying the groundwork for the later games in the series even if it's not one you personally played. It's also the debut game of Whitney, my favorite Villager character in the whole series, so that itself is a plus in my book.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I didn't get into the series until the 3DS game, but Animal Crossing has always been such a comfort game for me. I remember spending long car rides playing both New Leaf and New Horizons, just to unwind at the end of the day when I was super stressed from real life stuff. I find it fascinating to see how the series evolved throughout the games and I do think a lot of important stuff that was introduced in the series started with Wild World. If they ever put the older games on new systems I'd love to go back and play them, although that may take a while for Wild World specifically, unless the next Nintendo System has some duel screen feature so they can put DS games on there.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly I could just never get into Animal Crossing.

It's the one big Nintendo franchise I'm lukewarm on. Maybe I'm playing it wrong?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The lack of real progression can turn some people off, if you're the kind of player who wants to progress through levels and worlds like in platformer/shooter/RPG/etc. For me personally, I was able to satisfy that by finding progression in upgrading my house, my town, my tools, and the shops in the village. Slowly adding rooms and floors to my house, slowly buying items from the shop in order to unlock bigger shops, exploring each holiday throughout the year and finding new bugs and fish for each season, all that was what really made me adore playing the series. It's a simplistic joy, you're not saving the world on an epic adventure, you're just living a peaceful ordinary life and forming friendships with your neighbors.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think the Animal Crossing game that I stuck with the most was the Gamecube one, and that was mainly because of the NES games that were included. I recall having to go to some extreme lengths to get some of them (I think it might have been Wario's Woods or Punch-Out, though for all I know, it could have been Donkey Kong 3) - I had to make a town with specific information in order to use a code to get that game and then transfer it to my main town.

(though looking into it, universal code generators exist, so I might be able to get the four NES games that I don't have - Ice Climber, Mario Bros. (which are tied to the eReader cards), Super Mario Bros., and the Legend of Zelda (which are in the game but inaccessible normally)

Otherwise, I've had trouble getting into the Animal Crossing series and sticking with it despite multiple attempts. (I got the Gamecube, DS, and 3DS games)

EDIT: turns out that even with universal code generators, you can't get those four NES games - you need Action Replay or some other cheat device to put them in your game. (or, in the case of the first two, the eReader cards, along with an eReader, a Game Boy Advance, and a Gamecube/GBA Link Cable) I finished off the dinosaur section of my museum, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom