• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Game of the Week -Star Fox Assault

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Area 6's boss always felt like a really epic conclusion to a really well done level. The enemy commanders have been throwing everything they have at you to no avail and finally resort to the giant laser cannon with tentacles as a last resort. It makes defeating it all the more impactful.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
So many good choices for a favorite boss, honestly might just say Granga's Mech since i believe, although its been awhile, that it was the 1st time I got to go into all range mode which was really exciting, especially if you werent expecting it. Some of the more anticanced bosses like Star Wolf & Andross did live up to high expectations too imo.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, what are some of your favorite quotes?

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
like quotes from Star Fox 64? I say "Can't let you do that, Star Fox" should be just as popular as "Do a barrel roll!" tbh. Wolf's almost singsong delivery on that line is the hottest smoothest thing in the game.

Oh, and speaking of delivery, for such a campy game, Fox's voice actor in the final level saying "Father...?" sells the emotion so seriously, kinda love it.

EDIT: Wait, I got mixed up. It's one cutscene later, when Fox says "Nothing... Nothing's wrong." to Peppy that sounds so suddenly emotional.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Let's see...

"Fox, get this guy offa me!"
"What the heck?!"
"Only I have the brains to rule Lylat."
"Hey, Einstein, I'm on your side!"
"Do a barrel roll!"
"Use the boost to get through!"

...Mostly cause I can remember them the best. But yeah, the voice acting is amazing. And the lines are perfect~

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
"Can't let you do that, Star Fox!"
"Andross has ordered us to take you down."
"Peppy! Long time, no see!"
"Andross's enemy is my enemy!"

(seriously, the whole Star Wolf intro is great, between their hammy delivery and the start of the song kicking in)

"Only I have the brains to rule Lylat!"
"Do a barrel roll!"
"Try a somersault!"

Really, most of the times where Peppy tells you the controls.

"No! Hit the brakes!"
"So you're going to attack the enemy base? Great idea, Fox!"
"This baby can take temperatures up to 9000 degrees!"

Also, all of the enemy dialogue in Area 6, where they're getting more and more flabbergasted as Star Fox smashes their way through Andross's fleet.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Admittedly I mostly played the SNES version since I had SNES online longer than N64 online obviously but it was a really fun experience and it definitely seems like the kind of game that’s fun to go back to over and over, discovering secrets and all that.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Alright, here's a big request. Our first Pokemon game is actually going to be a spinoff, but its a great one. This is a game that got requested a fair amount, so I'm hoping you will all like it.

Pokemon Colosseum

Game Summary: Pokemon Colosseum is a spin off title for the Nintendo GameCube. Using Pokemon's third generation mechanics, players are sent on an adventure throughout the brand new Orre region. You play as the main hero Wes, as he goes on a quest to take down the evil Team Cipher. Cipher is using Team Snagem to steal Pokemon from trainers and close their hearts, turning them into the dangerous and powerful shadow Pokemon. Wes will have to use snag machine to snag the shadow Pokemon back so they can be saved. He goes on this journey with Rui, a young girl who can see a black aura around shadow Pokemon, and his trusty Umbreon and Espeon.

This region has no wild Pokemon and all battles are fought as double battles against trainers. The player starts with Umbreon and Espeon. To collect new Pokemon, the player will have to snag them from trainers. Shadow Pokemon have the powerful move, Shadow Rush, but the move may cause the Pokemon to go into a frenzy and disobey orders, even endangering the people around them. Shadow Pokemon also cannot grow in levels, learn new moves or evolve. Shadow Pokemon need to be purified which will let them do all the things normal Pokemon have.

Aside from the single player adventure, there are special battle modes that allow people to link their GBA Pokemon games to battle in 3D. There is also a special Mt. Battle challenge where the player can earn a Ho-oh if they complete the challenge. The game does allow you to transfer Pokemon between Colosseum and the GBA games, but the main story needs to be beaten first. This game is often regarded as one of the most difficult Pokemon games as opponents actually use unique double battle strategies.

Initial Release:
November 21st, 2003

Playable on...
  • NGC

Notable Character Debuts:
  • Wes
  • Rui
  • Miror B.
  • Dakim
  • Venus
  • Ein
  • Nascour
  • Evice

Current Metacritic Scores:
Critics: 73
Players: 8.0

Confirmed Players:
  • Swamp Sensei
  • Megadoomer
  • KillerCage
  • chocolatejr9

Recommended by:
  • Swamp Sensei
  • Megadoomer
  • KillerCage
  • chocolatejr9

Pokemon Colosseum is a very special game to me. A friend hyped it up to me, rented it and brought it over. We thought it was the coolest thing ever. We were saving Pokemon! Shadow Pokemon were so cool! Wes was so cool! Umbreon and Espeon were amazing starters. You could catch Johto starters and legendaries. Everything you did seemed awesome. Moreover, back then, seeing Pokemon in 3D was a rare treat. We loved to see all of the animations and models. I can't even explain how mind blowing this game was for little me.

Looking back on it now, it's not quite as great as little me thought. But its still pretty great. This is a very unique Pokemon game, and if you want something challenging, this will be right up your alley. Gameplay wise, its Pokemon, with a slight twist. Shadow Pokemon can be annoying but never enough to ruin the experience. Snagging is a more difficult form of catching. The story is a bit shallow and doesn't really have many stand out characters, but the environments and the visuals are full of charm. And the music. OH THE MUSIC! The Orre games have fantastic music. It's a shame I limit myself to 3 songs in the sample list.

If you're a big Pokemon fan, then you'll love this game, but I'm not sure its enough to convert someone who's not into Pokemon. Personally I love it and recommend it.

Also it gave us the absolute chad that is Miror B.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I played this as a kid, and one of my brother's friends even had the bonus disc that transferred Jirachi into the GBA game. I can't remember which shadow Pokemon I had unlocked, though at the very least, I transferred the gen. 2 starter into my copy of Pokemon Ruby. (Don't think I moved any of the other Shadow Pokemon over, though, which is a pity)

Miror B was definitely a highlight, between his theme and his team filled with Ludicolos whose animations made it seem like they were dancing along to the music. Looking back on it, the male protagonist might have been a little overdesigned (though it works for Orre's post-apocalyptic aesthetic and his status as a former bad guy), whie the female protagonist's design was bland to the point of being forgettable.

Still, I remember the game feeling like what I wanted Stadium to be - a big 3D Pokemon adventure.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
I remember when I got this game back when it was new, I thought it was Pokemon Statium for the Gamecube. I was in for a rude awakening. Also Miror B should show up in a mainline entry or even Pokemon Masters EX at some point!

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Remember watching one of my friends play this game a couple times in the mid 2000s, remember thinking it seemed more interesting than mainline Pokemon to me at the time (not a big fan of Pokemon outside of Snap).

Wanted to get it to finally give it a proper chance & for a little bit of nostalgia but a working english copy goes for at least $20-30 more than a new game in the US right now which i cant justify for this specific game & theres no other legitimate way to get it for now.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This game's soundtrack just makes me gush.

What's your favorite track from this game?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm honestly shocked. I expected more discussion regarding this game. Especially since it was requested.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm honestly shocked. I expected more discussion regarding this game. Especially since it was requested.
Yeah, IRL stuff has prevented me from being more active here. Or in general, come to think of it...

But yeah, I grew up with it and recommend it, though don't expect it to get a rerelease anytime soon. Not only has Nintendo only recently gotten comfortable acknowledging the Gamecube, the mainline Pokemon series has LONG since made the jump to 3D, sadly making stuff like Colleseum somewhat redundant by today's standards. Still a good game, but if you wanna play, you'll have to either fork over the green stuff or learn the difference between legal and illegal emulation (admittedly, I'm still not entirely sure myself)...

NOW, I'm gonna try something potentially stupid to try and get this thread more active:

To any Death Battle fans: yay or nay on this MU?

(What? They're doing their Champion Ballot and I'm all in a DB mood now).

KillerCage

Smash Master
Yeah, IRL stuff has prevented me from being more active here. Or in general, come to think of it...

But yeah, I grew up with it and recommend it, though don't expect it to get a rerelease anytime soon. Not only has Nintendo only recently gotten comfortable acknowledging the Gamecube, the mainline Pokemon series has LONG since made the jump to 3D, sadly making stuff like Colleseum somewhat redundant by today's standards. Still a good game, but if you wanna play, you'll have to either fork over the green stuff or learn the difference between legal and illegal emulation (admittedly, I'm still not entirely sure myself)...

NOW, I'm gonna try something potentially stupid to try and get this thread more active:

To any Death Battle fans: yay or nay on this MU?

(What? They're doing their Champion Ballot and I'm all in a DB mood now).
Depends.
What are the connections between Wes and Yusei?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Depends.
What are the connections between Wes and Yusei?
I had to copy somebody from a Discord server, but here are the basics:

"Motorcycle-riding monster summoners from the third generation of their respective series, known for being more gritty than their previous entries. Both were part of groups looked down upon by society before escaping, eventually getting caught up in grand conflicts involving fighting corrupted versions of their series’ respective monsters, seeking to take down the head of an evil organization and making a variety of new friends along the way."

There might be more, but I'm at work ATM, so I doubt I'll be able to help much.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I will update the thread tonight.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Alright, this week we have another all time classic that was requested. This one is the birth of a franchise.

Luigi's Mansion

Game Summary: Luigi's Mansion is Luigi's first Nintendo created game where he was the main character. One day, Luigi receives a letter that state he won a mansion from a content that he didn't enter. Mario and Luigi both rush to their new mansion, but Luigi ends up arriving later than Mario. Upon arrival, Luigi finds that the mansion looks nothing like the advertisement and is actually haunted with ghosts. A ghost hunting professor named E.Gadd saves Luigi with his vacuum like invention, the Poltergust 3000. Luigi will need to fight his way through ghosts, boos and even the new villain, King Boo to save Mario.

Luigi's Mansion is designed almost like a simplified Metroidvania. Each room of the mansion has a unique challenge and your progress by finding items and keys. You can use the poltergust to suck up ghosts and eventually shot elemental blasts of fire, water and ice. You are also given the Game Boy Horror, which allows Luigi to keep track of his collectable, view the map and even hunt those pesky boos.

The game has 23 portrait ghosts which act as bosses and mini bosses. Each one has a unique puzzle to solve before you can catch them. These ghosts range from a nuclear family, a dog, a bodybuilder and even a jar... thing. They are often cited as one of the game's greatest elements.

Initial Release:
September 14th, 2001

Playable on...
  • NGC
  • 3DS

• King Boo
  • Professor E. Gadd

Critics: 78
Players: 8.6

Confirmed Players:
  • Swamp Sensei
  • Grim "Anubis" Reaper
  • Champion of Hyrule
  • Noipoi
  • Megadoomer
  • KillerCage
  • KingofPhantoms
  • chocolatejr9

Recommended by:
  • Swamp Sensei
  • Grim "Anubis" Reaper
  • Champion of Hyrule
  • Noipoi
  • Megadoomer
  • KillerCage
  • KingofPhantoms
  • chocolatejr9

Luigi's Mansion. I was introduced to this game while at a sleepover. They rented the game for the night and I got to watch my friends play. For little me, it was terrifying. I had nightmares that night. In particular, the one ghost that scared me the most was actually Madame Clairvoya. Yes, the one benevolent ghost scared me, because I was convinced she was going to trick Luigi.

When I was a little older, I tried to play it myself and I fell in love with the game. It's a very unique take on the Mario franchise and I doubt we'll ever get anything that spooky ever again. It's short, not very difficult and is very replayable. Once you know what you're doing you can beat the game in a couple of hours, but that's part of the fun. Thankfully its aged very well. I personally recommend it and love playing it again and again.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Very fun game. I do wish it had a Wii remake of sorts, since it sounded interesting in my head.

I still need to play the other two at some point~

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I played this one as a kid, it was the first game I ever played actually! but I don’t really remember much. The atmosphere has stuck with me for a while afterwards and at some point when I was a slightly older kid I got terrified by looking at footage of the game when I didn’t have that fear when I was like in kindergarten.

I also specifically remember e gadd telling me not to dash at angel statues but me doing it anyway I dunno why that’s what I remember from it

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ah yes, the game that cemented Luigi’s timid personality. It’s iconic for that alone.

It’s funny how this game, while still a goofy Nintendo game, had a legitimely eerie atmosphere. The other games lean more towards a silly sort of spookiness. Like family friendly Halloween decorations.

It certainly gives it a unique flair :4pacman:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This brings back memories - it was the first game that my brother and I played on the Gamecube, though as it was the first console that my brother and I bought with our own money, we had to rent it at first. (we'd earned enough to cover the console, but not enough to buy any games, though we had Smash Bros. Melee and Pikmin by Christmas)

I remember it being pretty short, but it seems like it would have a lot of replay value between going for the gold-framed portraits for each ghost and trying to get the best possible mansion in the ending. Great music, and it had lots of atmosphere (which could get surprisingly dark at times, like the hanging Luigi shadow in the attic) that really showcased the improvements in technology between the N64 and Gamecube.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, who were your favorite portrait ghosts?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've always had a soft spot for Bogmire. He's just so weird that he stands out.

Plus his theme is great.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Luigi's Mansion was my first ever "Mario" game. My introduction to the franchise ironically starred the so-called "second banana", the one that not only fleshed out his personality, but also proved he could be a hero in his own right. It left a huge impression on me and made me more of a Luigi fan than even a Mario fan.

As much as Mario is usually the lead hero, Luigi is arguably even braver than him. This game proved just how capable Luigi could be even in the face of his worst fears and kickstarted his own spin-off series. It had a ton of unique mechanics never seen in video games before. It had a spooky theme that struck a balance between silly and scary, making it enjoyable for all ages. It introduced awesome new characters like King Boo, who'd go on to become Luigi's own arch-enemy, the Bowser to his Mario.

I always enjoyed Halloween and other scary things growing up, so Luigi's Mansion was the perfect kind of game for me, and served a great introduction to the Mario franchise as a whole. I was hyped when the sequel was finally announced, and the same applied for when the third game in the series was announced. I still love the Luigi's Mansion series and I'm glad it gave the Man in Green a real chance to shine.

Regarding portrait ghosts, I have to agree that Bogmire, Melody Pianissima and Madam Clairvoya are among my favorites. Bogmire's just generally creepy, more so than most of the other bosses in the game, and has an awesome boss fight and theme to go along with it, while Melody's got some of the most personality out of all the Portrait Ghosts and is among the friendlier portraits in the game, while it's hard not to love Madam Clairvoya for being a genuinely friendly ally to Luigi, the one ghost in the entire game who actually and actively helps him along his journey to save his brother. Vincent Van Gore is also up there for being a great secondary antagonist. He's only really relevant in the last leg of the game, but his personality and the fact that he was personally responsible for creating almost all of the ghost minions you fight throughout the game makes him a solid villain.

There are other memorable portrait ghosts in the game like Sir Weston, Slim Bankshot, Nana, the Floating Whirlindas, Jarvis, Biff Atlas, Chauncey, and Henry and Orville, but those four are always the ones that stood out the most to me.

Luigi's Mansion is a truly fantastic game. I'm grateful that I got to grow up with it and be introduced to a character like Luigi through it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, I ended up being busy this week, so I'll make this quick: Luigi's Mansion is a game I grew up with and was a huge fan of. Got both of the sequals when they came out, though somewhat funnily I had an easier time with their final bosses than the first game's, which I never beat. Kid me was a bad gamer, it seems...

But yeah, recommend.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's been a while, but I do like Vincent Van Gore for being a different take on a Boss rush. Boolossus was also pretty neat for being a cool puzzle boss. Pun intended.

When I play again, I might remember it better. They're just the few that come to mind. X.X

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Boolossus was both straight-up nightmare fuel for me as a kid and one of the mostchallenging video game bosses I fought at the time lol. He's another one of my favorites as he was probably the single most challenging and frightening enemy in the game for me at the time.

I still wish we had eventually gotten the PAL version of the Hidden Mansion with all the changed up rooms and remixed boss fights that upgraded their original attacks in addition to granting them new ones (or, in Boolossus' case, having Luigi literally ride the Poltergust for faster movement speed but worse traction), but at least the 3DS remake gave new changes to the Hidden Mansion altogether.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Oh, and also, I've always held a soft spot for Melody Pianisima. Call me basic, but I'm something of a music fan, so that appealled to me specifically.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Alright everyone. Time for something quirky!

Earthbound

Game Summary: Earthbound is the second entry in the Earthbound/Mother franchise. It is the first entry that was localized and gave birth to the Smash mainstay, Ness. Earthbound is an RPG that takes place in the modern (90's) day. Instead of fantasy worlds and magic, the game uses modern cities and psychic power. Earthbound was designed to be a departure from JRPG tropes at the time, while still maintaining its fun gameplay and story telling techniques. The battles in Earthbound are fairly standard, but it has the unique addition of scrolling health. If a character takes a mortal injury, they can still act until their health finally hits zero. This means that emergency attacks, heals or buffs can be done.

In terms of plot, Earthbound stars a young boy named Ness (though you can name them whatever) getting a warning from the time traveler Buzz Buzz. In an attempt to stop the alien threat of Giygas, Ness journeys out and meets new life long friends Paula, Jeff and Poo. Ness travels through cities, swamps, deserts and more fighting a variety of strange threats including a blue worshipping cult, dinosaurs and even hippies. Eventually Ness and his friends defeats Giygas and his crony, Pokey.

Initial Release:
August 27th, 1994

Playable on...
  • SNES
  • GBA
  • Wii U
  • 3DS
  • Switch

• Ness :ultness:
  • Paula
  • Jeff
  • Poo
  • Pokey / Porky
  • Mr. Saturn
  • Dr. Andonuts
  • Giygas

Due to being an old game, I will have to use the Wii U release for this.
Critics: NA
Players: 8.2

Confirmed Players:
  • Swamp Sensei
  • PLATINUM7
  • Noipoi
  • Grim "Anubis" Reaper
  • Megadoomer
  • Quillion

Recommended by:
  • Swamp Sensei
  • PLATINUM7
  • Noipoi
  • Grim "Anubis" Reaper
  • Megadoomer
  • Quillion

Earthbound was not a game I grew up with. In fact, for the longest time, it just existed as "that one game Ness is from." I was finally able to play it on the Wii U virtual console. I like Earthbound and I think its good, but I do think its a tad overrated. Maybe its because I'm subconsciously comparing it to more modern RPGs, but there are some downright silly and archaic design decisions. Still, the game itself is well made, fun and charming. I'd recommend it to RPG lovers and I won't deny that its a good game. I just have some qualms with it. Still good though.

I do love the scrolling health idea. It feels great to heal an ally or defeat an enemy before someone kicks the bucket. I also love the Mr. Saturns. BOING! SPROING!

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
EarthBound is such a fun RPG.

I got to play it for the first time on the Wii U's VC and did a second playthrough on the SNES mini. I'm sure one day I'll get round to a third one on the Switch.

It's fairly simple compared to other RPGs but I think that helps it be the kind of game you can just pick up. The visuals, setting and music also help it stand out.

Noipoi

Howdy!
The birth of quirky indie RPGs everywhere...

First played this game a few years ago, though I'd always heard about it. It's probably the poster child for a game with a cult following.

It was fun! And weird. Really weird...

But that's part of the charm. And this is a personal thing, but a lot of the sun for me was playing through the game with my little sister and giving all the main characters goofy voices. This game lends itself to that very well!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Great game. Really fun, though I admit stuff like Rhythm etc. is not my main cup of tea, but the first two aren't really that bad about stuff like that. 3rd game however is something I really cannot enjoy because I like to play RPG's a bit slower.

Anyway, the music is wonderful and I love all the great charm it has~

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I beat this game on the Wii U. Try as I might, I couldn't find a SNES version that was a reasonable price, and given what happens when you try less-than-legal methods...

(heads up - this video shows the final boss, so if you're somehow unfamiliar with it, I'll spoiler tag it)

...I don't think I ever emulated it.

The early game was tough, though not as tough as Earthbound Beginnings/Mother 1 (in that case, I got it on the Wii U, but I'm not sure if I ever even made it far past the beginning), but thankfully, the difficulty becomes more reasonable as you get more party members. It's well-made, and pretty unsettling at times (like Poo's training or the point towards the endgame where Ness is on his own)

I love how, after you beat the game, you can go back to all of the locations that you visited and see how everyone's doing - it can be a little time-consuming, but it helps to make the world feel more fleshed out and to show you the scope of the adventure that you'd been on.

Some sections of the game aren't as memorable as others, but I enjoyed playing it, and I'd strongly recommend it if you have the option. (thankfully, it's on the Switch's SNES Online app)

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
EarthBound IMO deserves to be on the Mt. Rushmore of environmental/non-conventional storytelling alongside Half-Life, Bioshock, and Dark Souls.

There's a very solid, concrete plot to it, yet if you want a lot of the context, you will need to talk to all of the NPCs since mandatory cutscenes are very few and far between in that game. Plus even the more irrelevant NPCs are very funny and witty anyway.

It's for that reason why I think EarthBound >>> Mother 3.

Top Bottom