• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Game Discussion Club - Pokemon X / Y

Laniv

Smash Champion
Elaborate. Because I have the opposite opinion.
I like the quality of instruments used in Galaxy 2 more. There's something about Yoshi Star Galaxy that I like:

There's also that I like Cloudy Court far better than Gusty Garden lol

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
Ah, Super Mario Galaxy 2. Definitely in contention for my favourite game of all time.

I think it’s the better game compared to 1 when looking at level design.

While 1 has a more open feel to it, I adore Galaxy 2, considering I only had 2 when I was young instead of 1.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as music, I think Mario Galaxy 1's is better in a vacuum though I'd say Galaxy 2's elevates its levels more.

SMG2's tribute to Bowser's Road (from 64) is a solid example of that; lacking the eerie beauty of SMG1's version but more than king up for it with sheer scale:

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I remember seeing the first trailer for this game back in 2009. This along with New Super Mario Bros Wii was probably the first two games I had the experience of being able to follow the trailers and development on the internet, after I was first starting to use the computer.

I had played both NSMB DS and Super Mario Galaxy 1, and I was massively excited for both games mentioned, especially Super Mario Galaxy 2. The first game was such a magical experience that being able to experience a full sequel, something that was unprecedented for 3D Mario at the time, was a dream come true.

Looking back now, I still have a lot of fond memories of getting this game in Spring 2010 after getting home from school and having an absolute blast. The music and level design holds up as well as the first game. The one gripe I guess I have is that I wish it was allowed to have a story, similar to Rosalina's storybook from the first game (I know this was the same time period as Sticker Star where the story was removed from that game as well).

Also I wish we could play this game on Switch, it was done dirty by being excluded from the 3D All Stars collection.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I still think "Little Mac Punches In," is the weakest Smash Bros pun.

PUNCH OUT!!

Game Summary:
Little Mac is back and is punching his way to the top. Punch Out!! got a new game released on the Wii titled well... Punch Out!!This game was the first new title in the franchise since the SNES so it had a lot live up to. Punch Out!! is a boxing game that also doubles as an action puzzle game. The game modernizes the classic Punch Out!! formula of dodging, weaving and counterattacking. Little Mac is a pretty tiny guy who has to fight heavyweights and superheavyweights. He'll need to use his speed, brain and reflexes to outbox every opponent out there.

The player has limited options. You can only dodge left or right, duck, and guard as your defensive options. Your offensive options are usually just your left and right jabs and hooks. You'll need to wait for you opponent to attack, react appropriately and WHAMMO! Little Mac is much smaller than his opponents and much weaker. You can't win a slugging match. Each opponent has tells, meaning that with some practice, you'll be able to predict each move before it comes out. Little Mac has an ace in the hole, the star punch. By hitting the opponent during special opportunities, you can earn a star. This star allows you to use a star punch which will unleash massive damage to any boxer it hits. You can store three stars at a time and with each star, your punch becomes more powerful. Be careful though, you'll lose all stars if you get hit. You'll have to use them wisely.

The Wii version of Punch Out!! brings several new modes to the mix. There's a dedicated multiplayer mode where Little Mac and his clone try to knock each other out. Once you become the champion in single player mode, you'll unlock Title Defense mode, where each boxer will fight you with brand new movesets. After completing that, Mac decides he doesn't want to be champion anymore and says that he'll quit with just three more losses. Will Little Mac defend his title? Will he meet some mysterious creature from the jungle along the way?

Initial Release:
May 18th, 2009

Playable on...
  • Wii
  • Wii U

Notable Character Debuts:
  • Disco Kid

Current Metacritic Scores:
Critics: 86
Players: 8.6

Confirmed Players:

• Swamp Sensei
  • Megadoomer
  • PLATINUM7
  • Laniv
  • Opossum
  • Louie G.
Recommended by:

• Swamp Sensei
  • Megadoomer
  • PLATINUM7
  • Laniv
  • Opossum
  • Louie G.

I was introduced to Punch Out!! through an old copy of Nintendo Power. I had heard of Little Mac through Brawl and its speculation period, but I didn't know much other than it being an old boxing game people liked. This game. This game turned me into a major fan. The animations are gorgeous. The personality is incredible. The level of detail and the care to make each boxer feel unique, respected and loved is amazing to me. The game is so simple, yet its so addicting. They knew they couldn't deviate from the simplistic NES style formula, so they went ALL IN on presentation and charm. It's a very special game. I recommend everyone try it at least once.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The Wii version was great, even if (rather embarrassingly) when I played Title Defense, I lost to Glass Joe. (meaning that, on my original save file, Glass Joe will forever be the world champion)

I got Doc Louis's Punch-Out through Club Nintendo back when that was a thing. I get that they might have wanted to encourage people to sign up for that service, but you'd think that at some point, they would have released it on the Wii Shop Channel to avoid the risk of the game being lost forever. (I don't think that the Wii Shop Channel had demos, though it worked well as a demo for the game, but they could have charged $5 or $10 for it)

Also, the developers (Next Level Games) are a Canadian company which, as a Canadian, is great to see. (there are a few Canadian game developers - Silicon Knights comes to mind - but it doesn't seem like there's many out there)

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I was never able get into classic punch out, did want to give this one a shot someday & got a good deal on a brand new copy a year or 2 ago but havent gotten around to it. Funny enough this was the only wii game that cleanrip refused to backup for me.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So who was your favorite fight in the game?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Gonna try to bump the thread by pinging some Punch Out!! superfans! Opossum Opossum Louie G. Louie G.

Also, I'll use this oppurtunity to state that everything in the entire thread is up to date. :4diddy:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Gonna try to bump the thread by pinging some Punch Out!! superfans! Opossum Opossum Louie G. Louie G.

Also, I'll use this oppurtunity to state that everything in the entire thread is up to date. :4diddy:
It's a great game! Easily one of my favorite Wii games. Exhibition mode with the various challenges was amazing.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Punch-Out Wii is a pretty incredible translation of exactly how it feels to play the NES game, how dynamic and heated each fight in processed in your mind, brought to vibrant life. I think it's a testament to how well the series' original console debut has aged that really, nothing fundamentally changes about the gameplay. It's still got that intuitive and simple arcade feel, and it's as fun as ever. I really think it's the absolute ideal for a revival game. Next Level killed it and every day I am praying for them to get back on the saddle. This is easily one of my favorite games, unsure if I prefer this or Mike Tyson's PO!! though.

Part of me wonders where to go from here, what any new boxers would look like. Notably, Disco Kid is a new boxer in Punch Out Wii and gives us a good idea of the kind of creativity that NLG has under their belt - and he rocks, so that's very promising. My favorite fight however is Super Macho Man, who I think I've rematched to perfection. There's something about the flow of that fight that is just infectious, and Macho Man himself is of course absolutely damn hilarious. The sense of humor in this game, particularly the way each character expresses themselves uniquely, is one of a kind and that artistry speaks to the cartoonist in me. I think it's one of the most wonderfully toony games Nintendo ever put out and after the way Luigi's Mansion 3 was animated... I'm just saying, I'm dying for something new here. In the meantime I'd love to revisit this game again sometime soon.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's time to Mega Evolve this thread.

Pokemon X and Pokemon Y

Game Summary:
Welcome to the Kalos region! The sixth generation of Pokemon has arrived on the 3DS. For the first time in a mainline game, you can explore a 3D world and see all of your favorite Pokemon in 3D. Pokemon X and Y have many of the standard bells and whistles of your average Pokemon game, but new to this game is Mega Evolution. Once your battle, you can transform one of your Pokemon into a new form! This Mega Evolved Pokemon will have stronger stats, different abilities and even a new typing. Not every Pokemon has this fantastic ability, so you'll need to pick your team carefully. X and Y also introduced a brand new typing, the Fairy type! This type is strong against dragon, fighting and dark types, while being weak to steel and poison types. This game also greatly expanded multiplayer functions and modes. With Wi-Fi becoming more common, reliable and affordable, Pokemon X and Y pushed new ways to communicate, trade, battle and play with others from around the world.

The narrative of X and Y stars a brand new trainer on their journey around the Kalos region. They meet up with friends and decide to meet up several times around their journeys. But something sinister lurks in the shadows. The flamboyant Team Flare plans to cause trouble around the Kalos region and eventually destroy the entire world by using a Legendary Pokemon. Can you save this Pokemon and stop Team Flare's plans?

Initial Release:
October 12, 2013

Playable on...
  • 3DS

Notable Character Debuts:
  • Greninja :ultgreninja:
  • Sylveon
  • Aegislash
  • Xerneas
  • Yveltal
  • Zygarde
  • All Gen 6 Pokemon
  • Diantha
  • Lysandre

Current Metacritic Scores:
Critics: 87/88 (Y is one point higher for some reason)
Players: 7.5

Confirmed Players:

• Swamp Sensei
Recommended by:

• Swamp Sensei

I got Pokemon X and not Y because Xerneas looks absolutely majestic (and I like blue). Pokemon X and Y was initially a very exciting game for me. Mega Evolution got me hooked and I was amazed by all of the older Pokemon getting new forms. I still think it remains the best generational gimmicks with only Terastallizing only getting close. As a game, even back then, I thought it was a pretty standard and serviceable Pokemon game, but not super memorable. I never really learned the names of some important trainers and locations to this day. It's really easy but I've since adapted my playing style to go along with the EXP share giving EXP to everyone all the time. I loved the addition of Mega Venusaur and I got to try new favorites like Chesnaugt and Aegislash.

I actually replayed X not too long ago. It's much better than I remembered. I found myself enjoying it a lot more than I had before. I think I just let myself enjoy the characters and the locations. I tried a lot of the newer Pokemon. I found a lot of new favorites like Greninja, Tyrantrum, Pyroar and Florges. I do think people should give the game another shot. I'd recommend it to all Pokemon fans.

I'm really excited for Legends Z-A.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I got Pokemon Y.

It holds a special place in my heart because the changes to the GTS meant I could finally complete the national dex. It was also the first time I got a shiny that wasn't an event or guaranteed like the Lake of Rage Gyarados.

Another thing I liked was that you could get Snorlax early on.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Pokémon X & Y, man where do I start with these games?

At the start of 2013 I was 11 going on 12. I’d been a Pokemon fan for just under two years and I already felt like I knew everything there was to know. I’d played the DS games to death and I wanted more. I needed more. And as if by magic just a few days into January I got exactly what I wanted.

Pokémon X & Y are announced, a whole new dimension for Pokemon! Over the course of the next year I’d obsess over this game, theorizing about what new Pokemon we’d see, what the starters would evolve into, what lore the legendaries have, and all the ways this franchise would make use of the jump to 3D. It was my first new generation after my intro to the series, and my chance to really prove if I was the Pokémon master I thought I was.

By the time the game came out on October 12th 2013, literally one day after my birthday, I was hooked. Between the best batch of new Pokémon additions, mega evolutions, and a whole 3D world, I seriously thought it was the best Pokemon game ever made, and I damn near cried while watching the credits.

These days I don’t quite have that same view. I appreciate a lot about XY but I feel like the games are a bit undercooked, really easy and way too heavy on the Kanto references. Not to mention the story is super wonky. But I see the potential, and I really wish these games would’ve gotten an enhanced version to flesh everything out. Kalos deserves another chance.

If only…

OH WAIT

IMG_9172.jpeg

WE ARE SO ****ING BACK

IMG_9171.gif

This game introduced my favorite Pokemon of all time. So thats:nifty:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I have lots of nostalgia playing this game, it was my freshmen year of high school where there were a lot of turbulant changes in my life, so this game (I got X version), was a great comfort. I also picked Froakie and leveled it up to Greninja only a short while before they were revealed for Smash 4, so it was a pleasant surprise seeing my starter get added to Smash. (I had similar experiences with buying New Leaf shortly before Villager's reveal and S-Ranking Robin and Lucina in Awakening like a week before they both got revealed for Smash lol).

Love the atmosphere of the game, I actually visited Paris and France a couple years later and I could only have the music of Lumoise City playing in my head as I toured the real life city it was based off of lol.

Glad to see Kalos getting a Legends game, as the only region not to receive a third version, a pair of sequels/enhanced version, or any major DLC story expansion, it always felt the region was done dirty.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay, I know I haven't been as active in this thread as I wanted to be (pretty sure I've missed quite a few games I've played), but I feel like I have to at least talk about this one, as it was kinda important for me. I got Pokémon X as I was first starting high school, and was going through a... let's call it a "transitional" phase. Basically, the person I was before starting high school and the person I was after are noticeably different. But yeah, X was pretty much the game that got me back into Pokémon: I got the awesome ninja frog Greninja, beat the champion, and even managed to bond with my classmates over the game. Sadly, most of those friendships have largely ended after graduation, and somebody stole my copy of X during gym, but overall? It holds a special place in my heart.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Not much to say, as stated previously for whatever reason just never got into Pokemon. Will say this one did stand out as particularly. Not sure if it was that it was the 1st 3DS game or who i was around at the time but felt left out since it felt like everyone was playing this one. Something i wouldnt noticed again till both switch era main line games.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, what's your favorite Kalos mon?

I think my Aegislash and Chesnaut.

Tyrantrum is pretty great though.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Hawlucha is my favourite Gen VI Pokemon.

Second would be Greninja.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So, what's your favorite Kalos mon?

I think my Aegislash and Chesnaut.

Tyrantrum is pretty great though.
A toss-up between Pancham and Vivillon.

Also, I think almost all of the Fairy types introduced in that generation were fire. They really went all out with the new type.

Top Bottom