• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Direct General Recap

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

(For those who missed the Direct, the archive can be found here)

Yoshi's Woolly World

Quite a few updates were announced for the upcoming Yoshi's Woolly World. First off, a new set of Yoshi amiibo figures will launch later in the fall alongside the release of Yoshi's Woolly World. Using one of these amiibo will summon another Yoshi to come in and assist the player, though it is unclear on exactly what modes this will work in. The Yarn Yoshi amiibo will be available in three colors: Pink, green, and blue.

The game will also feature numerous challenges and hidden secrets. In addition to Classic Mode, Woolly World will feature a Mellow Mode, where players of all skill levels can play as Winged Yoshi. Winged Yoshi appears to work the same as the Winged Yoshi in Yoshi's New Island (which is activated when you die a certain number of times).

Yoshi's Woolly World does not yet have a specified release date, but is slated to be available this fall.

Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei Crossover Project

Nintendo released a new trailer for their upcoming Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei game. Despite its ambiguity and, to many, strange presentation, the game looks like it's coming along quite well. The title is expected to be a truly modern RPG in an eastern setting, where everyday life exists side-by-side with a world of fiction that includes characters from the Fire Emblem series, a techno environment, and lots of strife.

No release date has been announced for the crossover project.

Splatoon

Splatoon also had a bit of information revealed. Along with the single-player campaign and online "Turf War" modes, Splatoon will feature a few addition modes; A competitive "Ranked Mode," which will keep people fighting for a specific spot of the arena, as well as a "Battle Dojo" that allows people to play local 1-on-1 battles, with one player using the Wii U GamePad and the other viewing the TV.

Three amiibo will release simultaneously with Splatoon: the Inkling Boy, Inkling Girl, and the Inkling Squid. There will be a bundle that contains the Boy, Girl, and an Inkling Squid, but each can be purchased separately as well. When one of these amiibo are tapped to the GamePad, players will receive special missions to unlock more items.

Splatoon will release on May 29th.

Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer, the next game in the Animal Crossing series, focuses specifically on the home-designing and decorating aspects of the games. Animals ask players to design houses for them, and it's up to the player to meet the animals' requests with the home-decor skills they've been cultivating over the course of several Animal Crossing games.

Happy Home Designer will utilize the very first Amiibo Cards. The first set of cards will be based on Animal Crossing characters and will launch the same day as the game. When one of these cards are used, it invites that specific character to visit. The first characters revealed were Isabelle, Peanut, and Goose.

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer will launch in the fall.

Mario Kart 8

A free DLC update for Mario Kart 8 is planned as well, with two additions:

More Mii Suits - Mega Man, PAC-MAN, Sonic, Toad, Wario, Villager, Rosalina, Bowser, and Olimar will all have Mii Suits in addition to the ten already in the game.

200cc - For the first time ever, Mario Kart will have a mode quicker than 150cc that will work on all tracks in the game. The increased speed will make skilled braking more important than ever.

The Mario Kart 8 DLC will be released on April 23rd.

Fire Emblem 3DS

In FIre Emblem 3DS (Working Title), the main playable character is a customizable avatar--an exciting turn of events for your future hero or heroine.

Players have the option of taking one of two paths, both of which result in different experiences: "Hoshido" presents a more Fire Emblem and newcomer-friendly experience; "Nohr" presents a more complex story, with a higher difficulty level than "Hoshido." There's still no news on wether or not the paths are separate games.

The new Fire Emblem game will launch in 2016

List of Other Information present in the direct:

-Amiibo Tap: Nintendo’s Greatest Bits for WiiU – An App that unlocks gameplay highlights from NES and Super NES games with the use of an amiibo. Will be released later in the year
-Mario Maker launches in September
-DS games and Nintendo 64 are coming to the Wii U Virtual Console. Yoshi’s Island DS and Super Mario 64 are available now with WarioWare and Donkey Kong 64 along the way.
-Fatal Frame 5 is being localized and will be released later this year
-Pokemon Rumble World launches on the 3DS eShop on 4/8 with over 700 Pokemon
-Puzzles and Dragons is already available for preorder and will have a demo available April 30th
-Attack on Titan: Humanity in Chains from Atlus launches for 3DS in May
-Codename S.T.E.A.M. will soon speed up enemy turns in the game along with Codename S.T.E.A.M. tournaments
-Ultimate Angler and Battleground Z; two new StreetPass Mii Plaza games to launch soon for the 3DS
-Trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
-The NFC reader/writer accessory for the Nintendo 3DS and 2DS will launch alongside Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
- Notable indie game announcements:
Adventures of Pip (May)
Octodad: Dadliest Catch (Summer)
Mutant Mudds Super Challenge (June) Wii U+3DS cross buy
Loyalty discount
Don't Starve: Giant Edition (May) - Every purchase gives you two copies
- Pokémon Rumble World will be free to download
- Attack on Titan is 3DS eShop only
- New Mii Plaza games are $4.99 each, or $7.99 together. Available on April 16th

Thethirdkoopa is a Game Producer, Game Collector, Musician, Gamer, and Smash Fanatic at heart. He's a friendly guy too. He can be reached on Twitter, @Thirdkoopa.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718

This is possibly the best reaction to the 200cc addition ever. I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty hype for it. Along with Fatal Frame 5, Fire Emblem, intrigued by the Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem game, and of course the obvious Smash stuff...

Also that green Yoshi plush? I want along with the Charizard amiibo.

Zurf

Smash Cadet
The SMT X Fire Emblem Trailer...

A girl falls out of a portal, jumps onto her pegasus, which then promptly sprouts rocket engines out of its back and zips away into the night...

CJ14r43

Smash Cadet
NNID
chukswag
3DS FC
4854-6956-3319
Switch FC
SW-4733-8968-8769
Something missing...where's tournament mode:crazy:!?!?!

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
That was a great Direct, I've got hyped more than I thought when seeing Lucas. Did SMT x FE just become Persona x Awakening?! I was thinking about buying the original 12, but those guys make Jigglypuff and Ness store-exclusive (Nintendo has no official Brazil support anymore), that will be a hell to find. However, I will still buy the Splatoon and Yarn Yoshi amiibos.

Greninja'd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Asianbanana
3DS FC
0645-5951-1667
I'm so happy we finally have a trailer of SMT x FE. It's not what I expected but I'm fine with it.

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
MORE Amiibos?! No...NO...NOOOOOOOOOOOO! My poor wallet...

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
200cc... Kinda reminds me of those 300cc hackers on Mario Kart DS and CTGP-R's double speed tracks.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Honestly, it's one of the best directs yet. My favorite part of it is the trailer for SMT x Fire Emblem. I think it's unique and I'm glad the Wii U is going to get a Persona-esque game influenced from both series.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
As much as I utterly despise that DS games force you to use the terrible Gamepad (My hands still hurt from even TRYING to play Yoshi's Island DS yesterday), I'm glad WarioWare Touched is being rereleased. I never got a chance to play it.

Sn0wman

Smash Rookie
All I know is that I want all the Wooly Yoshi Amiibo and I can't wait to play 200cc Mario Kart 8! It's going to be a blast!

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I think I'll probably end up getting FE x SMT. Looks interesting and I don't really see what people are all in a huff about. What did people think what would happen when these two series mix? That the smt and fire emblem characters would meet and save both of their universes from the bad guys? Their worlds are vastly different. Or that the smt characters would fight using fire emblem fusions? How would that work? I think the ideas present in this trailer were a perfect solution in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm willing to give this game a chance. The only thing that bothers me is the severe lack of clothing that the girls have. Who dresses like that?

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I gotta admit, when the 200cc trailer started I thought it was a lead in to an obligatory April Fools' joke, with some kind of fake "hyperspeed" mode that gave you a permanent mushroom boost or something.

I was actually surprised when 200cc turned out to be a legit thing, and now I'm intrigued.

sauceee

Smash Rookie
No Star Fox info :(

Probably gonna be the feature title on display at E3 though, Nintendo needs a big game to boost sales after postponing Zelda Wii U.

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
No Star Fox info :(

Probably gonna be the feature title on display at E3 though, Nintendo needs a big game to boost sales after postponing Zelda Wii U.
They can't fit every game into 45 minutes, unfortunately.

But like you said, this will likely be the title game at E3, along with more stuff about Zelda U. We'll probably get more stuff on FE14, and hopefully new games (METROID U AND F-ZERO PL0X).

Top Bottom