• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Digital Event Liveblog

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Welcome to the Smashboards liveblog of the Nintendo Digital event! We'll provide up-to-the-minute coverage of all things related to Nintendo. Follow alphazealot on Twitter!

10:08AM - WOW! They are talking Smash Invitational. One picked Ken, named "King of Smash", another host picked KDJ. Great to see Smash players recognized on official Nintendo Twitch channel and on the Nintendo Minute. Make sure to be here at 4:00PM PDT when the Smash Invitational starts! We'll have exclusive coverage with our parter Clash Tournaments including @CT ZeRo - one of the players in today's Smash Invitational and many peoples favorite to win the event due to skill across multiple Smash titles!

10:00AM - They are jumping into Digital Event post-coverage an analysis - break from new things/news.

9:59AM - Mario Party 10 is on the show floor - you can play as Bowser on the Wii U Gamepad and "be a jerk" to the other players on the game board.

9:58AM - You can save up to 30% on the franchises featured at E3 through the Nintendo eShop - offer is good through June 16.

9:57AM - Tons of games being shown for the Nintendo 3DS - if you don't own one yet for Smash there is no better time to buy. Many are available via the Nintendo eShop!

9:53AM - Level 5 launching "Fantasy Life" and a new Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney agame on the Nintendo 3DS.

9:52AM - When Smash Brothers releases this winter, there will be many amiibo that release at the same time. Nintendo's answer to Skylanders and Disney Infinity has arrived. Figures seen - Pikachu, Link, Yoshi, Kirby, Samus, Peach, Wii Fit Trainer, Mario...

9:49AM - Further talks about the amiibo figures. Original concept in Smash was that figures come to life, amiibo's only seem fitting. Screen of the character...amiibo appears to evolve/level up, does this mean that characters are different? How will this effect tournaments?

__START NINTENDO MINUTE__

__END LIVE BLOG OF NINTENDO DIGITAL EVENT__

9:45AM - Miyamota on screen - talking about Wii U Gamepad. Transition to the Treehouse "Hype Train"!

9:45AM - Dark Pit?

9:44AM - Link and Pit are fighting in a cartoon. Palutena joins the fray!

9:43AM - Reggie thanks everyone for watching. One more teaser. It's SMASH related!

9:42AM - Nintendo Digital Event is finished - Reggie opens the show floor. Tells you to go to twitch.tv/twitch for the "Nintendo Minute" and to check out the Super Smash Brothers Invitational at 4PM PDT. The Smash Invitational features 16 players nearly all of whom have Smashboards accounts! Nintendo Treehouse Live @ E3 is also a coverage option.

9:40AM - New IP Splatoon for Nintendo looks very interesting - concept seems solid, game looks fun - battles seem similar to Conker's Bad Fur Day but more PG.

9:35AM - New game called Splatoon previewed - a "4 on 4 multiplayer" game where players fight as squids using ink. You can shoot Ink as a person, then switch to a squid and swim through your ink. You go faster in your own ink. Ink is a measurement of territory.
9:32AM - Mario wants "Mario ballet" - but we were promised no new Mario games! Looks like a mini-game with the Wii U Gamepad, building Mario levels in "Mario Maker" - Reggie confirmed bluffing with the no "new Mario games" statement. Graphics in Mario Maker can switch from 16bit to new-age. Coming in 2015 - you create your own Mario courses!

9:31AM - Someone named Elma on screen. Giant space battle - Xenogears? Some mechs on screen fighting giant mechanical titans. Mass effect sized ships. XENOBLADE CHRONICLES!

9:30AM - So far not many features shown using the Nintendo Gamepad except for amiigo NFC capability.

9:27AM - New game called "Hyrule Warriors" - MMORPG? Working together to beat giant bosses - similar to Dynasty Warrior series. Link and Princess Zelda confirmed as playable characters. And impa. If there is a "character you like in the series" this is the first game you can play as them.

9:26AM - Commercial for Bayonetta.

9:25AM - Pokemon time! Opening similar to the Google-Pokemon April fools. Shots of Pokemon Alpha Ruby and Omega Saphire.

9:24AM - Not Link riding Epona. Cell shading. Fighting with a large, trashcan-esque creature.

9:22AM - In Zelda is was hard to create one connected large world. Needed to make bounded areas that came together. Cut to a beautiful HD screen of Zelda. Is OPEN WORLD - reminds me of Skyrim. Link is on Epona in a green field with trees, rocks, and mountains. Grass shaded a bit and waves in the wind. Steam coming off of water in the background.
9:19AM - Onto Zelda!

9:19AM - Bowser apologizes to Peach for kidnapping her 80+ times. Asks for the last donut. Is denied.

9:18AM - #CaptainToad - moving off of Yoshi - looks like Toad is getting a game?

9:15AM - Yoshi games have no time limits. You are "able to freely explore the vast game world" - an "action game". Jump distances are tricky since Yoshi can fly a fair bit. Game was built with exploration in mind. Egg throw from Yoshi's Story looks the same (aiming and such). Two player mode confirmed. Weird, and cool, seeing everything made of yarn. Yoshis can eat each other and attack each other - very "wide range of gameplay". - Yoshi Wooly World

9:13AM - Super Mario World was the first game that Reggie fell in love with. New Yoshi game coming - reminds me of Yoshi Story. Features yarn as a core element. "How do you play with a pile of yarn?"

9:11AM - Amiibo coming to many other Nintendo games, including Mario Kart 8.

9:10AM - October 3, 2014

9:09AM - Reggie, wearing a Mario pin on his left collar, pulls out a Mario NFC character that links to the Nintendo Wii U Gamepad. Nintendo developing "amiibo" characters that resemble Skylander figures and Disney Infinity characters. ammibo's have a special chip that any Wii U Gamepad will recognize. Figures remember things - figures can evolve. Super Smash Brothers for Wii U will be the first game to support amiibo.

Coming "this holiday".

9:07AM - Sakurai says he hopes everyone is "looking forward to Super Smash Brothers on Nintendo 3DS".

9:06AM - Moving to the 3DS version. Not ready yet - need lots of time to debug. Does this mean delayed past the summer? Appears that sandbag is back - homerun contest! Something called "Flower Smash Free For All". Homerun contest is definitely back.

9:05AM - Each type of Mii has four types of moves from 12 options. There will be 36 moves from which to choose. Mii's allow you to create any character you want essentially - your "chance to defeat Nintendo's greats" - does this mean some preloaded Miis?

9:04AM - Our man Sakurai leads into a discussion of using Mii characters. Decided against using Miis in Brawl. Miis in Super Smash Brothers Wii U are "almost not even Miis anymore". Appears to be extremely customizable - some have swords, others arm cannons, others boxers. Three varieties - Mii Brawlers, Mii Swordfighters, and Mii Gunners.

9:03AM - Smash Brothers Wii U is revealed with Iwata and Reggie Miis duking it out. Mii's confirmed as characters? Reggie pulls out an NFC character and loads up Mario. Above Mario's head is "FP" - First Player? Iwata is armed with a sword.

9:00AM - Press conference starts with Reggie, NOA President, featured in claymation. Confirms no new Mario game today. Iwata and Reggie then commence fighting. Match appears to be a draw.​

__NINTENDO DIGITAL EVENT BEGINS__

Last edited:

pickle962

Smash Lord
Uggh!!!! Miis are now in the game AS PLAYABLE CHARACTERS? Wii Fit Trainer was ONE thing but Miis ****ing really Nintendo!? Guess it aint super smash bros no more so much as its now just "homer simpson vs darth vader" or "Justin bieber vs One Direction"! Mark my words, people are going to make miis specifically based off of pop culture characters and use em in online mode and some of them maybe upload footage of say "Iron Man vs Hitler in smash bros" and maybe receive fame and fortune for it thus taking away from the unique charm smash bros has had until today! Point is, when I play or see a smash bros game, I think of playing as various Nintendo characters you know? I want to Mega Man hand Fox his furry butt! I want to spectate a 4 player online match where all players are playing as female characters AKA the closest thing we get to a good catfight in a Nintendo game

WHAT I DONT I REPEAT DO NOT F***ING WANT TO SEE IS SOME KID'S CRAPPY REPRESENTATION OF LIL WAYNE, SLENDERMAN, KATY PERRY, OR AGAIN SOME BOZO UPLOADING GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE OF SAY A PEWDIEPIE MII VS OBAMA MII IN A THREE STOCK DEATH MATCH AND I BELIEVE I SPEAK FOR MOST EVERYONE WHEN I SAY MIIS WERE A HORRIBLE ADDITION TO THE CAST AND SHOULD BE PETITIONED OUT OF THE GAME!!!

As for the delay in the 3ds version of smash 4? Well that's just great BIG N just MAGNFICIENT!!! It's not like I was training rocky style in preparation for pwning noobs on for glory mode or anything and OCTOBER really? Is late august early September too good for you?

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Uggh!!!! Miis are now in the game AS PLAYABLE CHARACTERS? Wii Fit Trainer was ONE thing but Miis ****ing really Nintendo!? Guess it aint super smash bros no more so much as its now just "homer simpson vs darth vader" or "Justin bieber vs One Direction"! Mark my words, people are going to make miis specifically based off of pop culture characters and use em in online mode and some of them maybe upload footage of say "Iron Man vs Hitler in smash bros" and maybe receive fame and fortune for it thus taking away from the unique charm smash bros has had until today! Point is, when I play or see a smash bros game, I think of playing as various Nintendo characters you know? I want to Mega Man hand Fox his furry butt! I want to spectate a 4 player online match where all players are playing as female characters AKA the closest thing we get to a good catfight in a Nintendo game

WHAT I DONT I REPEAT DO NOT F***ING WANT TO SEE IS SOME KID'S CRAPPY REPRESENTATION OF LIL WAYNE, SLENDERMAN, KATY PERRY, OR AGAIN SOME BOZO UPLOADING GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE OF SAY A PEWDIEPIE MII VS OBAMA MII IN A THREE STOCK DEATH MATCH AND I BELIEVE I SPEAK FOR MOST EVERYONE WHEN I SAY MIIS WERE A HORRIBLE ADDITION TO THE CAST AND SHOULD BE PETITIONED OUT OF THE GAME!!!

As for the delay in the 3ds version of smash 4? Well that's just great BIG N just MAGNFICIENT!!! It's not like I was training rocky style in preparation for pwning noobs on for glory mode or anything and OCTOBER really? Is late august early September too good for you?

But seriously though, how come people don't realize that Miis themselves ARE Nintendo characters? They have their own franchise and everything.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
So Lucina and G&W were in the Amiibo circles. Dunno if anyone else noticed. But WHAT DOES IT MEEEEAAAN?

pickle962

Smash Lord

But seriously though, how come people don't realize that Miis themselves ARE Nintendo characters? They have their own franchise and everything.
If you count a slew of sports minigames, an exercise game, and Nintendos equivalent of the sims tomadachi life as a "franchise" then fair enough, but like I said, with the addition of miis as playable characters, its just gonna kill any unique charm smash bros had since miis can be customized to look like anyone! AKA expect to see iron man vs Obama or Hitler vs Ezio Auditore

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex

Am I the only one who thought this post was funny af?

Jecux

Smash Cadet
I'm more excited about Bowser shooting FIREBALLS than those character reveals.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
That E3 presentation was the most Nintendo E3 I have ever seen. Not sure if good or bad, just Nintendo.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
I hope they limit Miis on Smash one way or another. You can always expect people to find a way to make Miis racist or something.
I didn't think of that. Not sure how they'd get around the inevitable genitalia faces.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
im stressing about hitboxes with mii's right now
It looks like they're all the same size and stuff. I'm guessing no matter what size the actual Mii is, they're gonna be made the same size in Smash.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Every character is made to look OP in their reveal trailer. This is nothing new.

When you get past the hype and analyze them, the Brawler looks like a straight Little Mac clone. The Gunner resembles Mega Man's fighting style. And the Swordsman looks like a faster Link (likely because of the lack of projectiles compared to Link).

With as decent as the Gunner looks, half the cast has either a barrier or super armor to manage projectiles now on top of projectiles of their own. They all look good but they also look manageable which is what I like to see.

Palutena tho. I'm still in hype mode for her.

Top Bottom