• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Creators Program Announced And Live!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Nintendo has announced on Twitter in two separate Tweets via it's Japanese account that the Nintendo Creators Program, a program previously mentioned to be in the works back in 2014, is now live! "The Nintendo Creators Program is a service through which Nintendo gives you part of the advertising proceeds it receives from YouTube for your Nintendo-related YouTube videos." said Nintendo.

The website states that it can regularly take up to three business days for videos or channels to be reviewed or finalized. While Smash is not currently on the list of games, this review process puts in peril the timely upload of tournament matches for content creators in an age where many are ripping from streams. In terms of payment, the revenue share is currently at 70% for channels and 60% for videos and "this rate may be changed arbitrarily." However, this 70/30 cut is not directly from the video itself only, this is after Google already takes its cut.

"Nintendo Co., Ltd. may receive certain advertising revenue from Google Inc., its affiliates or successors thereof in connection with your Videos. Nintendo Co., Ltd., as a representative payee of any such advertising revenue, agrees to pay you a percentage share of such advertising revenue that is actually received by Nintendo Co., Ltd. from Google Inc., its affiliates or successors thereof in connection with a Video that is registered on the Nintendo Creators Program. Your percentage share of any such advertising revenue will be listed on your account page of the Nintendo Creators Program website, and is subject to change from time to time."

Requirements for the program include a Google account, and a Paypal account as well as certain system requirements to use their website. All of the information can be found at their official website. However this program will only apply to a list of approved games which at the time of writing does not include any titles in the Super Smash Bros. series. You can see the list of approved games here. It is unsure at this time what this means for Smash related content.

SmashCapps always finds the big news on Twitter. Follow him on Twitter to keep up with the news!

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Whatthewhat?

Im kinda confused. You get money for making "nintendo related" content in videos and nintendo will pay you? or they will take their Share from the money you get from said video content?

Orrr am i missing something completely?

Last edited:

Jahnathan

Smash Cadet
Forgive me if i'm wrong, but this just seems like a "nicer" way for Nintendo to take away revenue from Youtubers that play their games.

MasterDalK

Best Smash Director
NNID
MasterDalK
3DS FC
5043-2454-6568
Did Nintendo begin to realize how content creation for their games (should) work?!? Now if only Smash could get added in as an applicable game X)

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
*looks at list of supported games*
Swapnote?

...Okay then.

Seal

Smash Journeyman
To the article writer:

Can you please clarify what this means? Is Nintendo giving or taking money from YouTube video makers?

Cactusblah

Smash Apprentice
Or they could just appreciate the free advertising and exposure for their games.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Maybe they're taking money away and then giving the same amount back.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
To the article writer:

Can you please clarify what this means? Is Nintendo giving or taking money from YouTube video makers?
Depends on how you interpret it.

On one hand, Nintendo is allowing people to use their content and giving the creators part of the revenue gained. So in a way, they are giving money.

But on the other hand, almost all other gaming companies don't apply this sort of "Creator/Company shared ad revenue" thing. So Nintendo is taking money that nearly all other companies allow the video creator to keep.

Basically, it's now possible to make money with videos about Nintendo products, but it's more profitable and easier to do so with just about any other game in existence.

EDIT: Doesn't matter anyway, Youtube's monetization policy makes this program completely pointless for content creators.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Nintendo is basically just trying to cash in on the LPers and such.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Nintendo doesn't own all of the IPs involved in the newer smash games... I think thats the real issue.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Nintendo doesn't own all of the IPs involved in the newer smash games... I think thats the real issue.
It's a shame. I think two certain blue mascots would feel right at home in Nintendo HQ.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
This program is unneeded. Nintendo should just be fine with YouTubers giving free advertisement of their games, which is what they need since they don't do it correctly by themselves.

Last edited:

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice
To the article writer:

I mean if you actually read the article you'd be able to figure that out.

Inazuma

Smash Cadet
NNID
inazuma65
This is bull****. If anything, Nintendo should pay Youtubers for advertising their products for them. Video games are not movies so they shouldn't have to follow the same rules. Unlike movies, video games are interactive and the experience changes based on the player. If you watch footage of someone playing a game and it looks fun to you, it makes you more likely to buy the game so you can play it yourself.

Nintendo has a long way to go when it comes to understanding the internet. For the people who upload video game related videos, I suggest you stop covering Nintendo games, because apparently Nintendo hates money.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
This entire program is extraordinarily stupid. The number one group you don't want to run afoul of is the media, which in the internet age means prominent Youtubers and the like. If people don't want to talk about or show off your games because they have to fork over ad revenue they won't, and this is hurting Nintendo as a business by limiting the exposure of their products. People have been complaining about this for years and Nintendo doesn't seem to understand why it isn't in their interest. Right now Nintendo's been able to make itself profitable by catering to its die-hard fanbase, but if it wants to expand its appeal it needs to stop this nonsense.

Zoa

Smash Ace
I really like Nintendo. They do a lot of things right, but also have their fair share of stupid ****. This is one of them.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I'm sick of the expropriation these people do through coercion or the threat thereof under the guise of "intellectual property", a positive law falsehood which is directly opposed to the natural law of true property rights.
Nintendo ought to let us be.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Forgive me if i'm wrong, but this just seems like a "nicer" way for Nintendo to take away revenue from Youtubers that play their games.
It's exactly that, plus it's better monitored by Nintendo. I can't really support this though, I prefer Ninty not giving youtubers any money at all.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
What they're doing is right. This was the reason Wii U wasn't doing so well. Now that the Pewdiepie's and the Markipliers will get payed to play Wii U... It will sell alot more.

shapular

Smash Ace
I'm sick of the expropriation these people do through coercion or the threat thereof under the guise of "intellectual property", a positive law falsehood which is directly opposed to the natural law of true property rights.
Found the libertarian.

GameWatching

Smash Ace
What they're doing is right. This was the reason Wii U wasn't doing so well. Now that the Pewdiepie's and the Markipliers will get payed to play Wii U... It will sell alot more.
No it's BS.
Nintendo is ,basically ,making you pay to review/play their games now.
No other company is doing this.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
No it's BS.
Nintendo is ,basically ,making you pay to review/play their games now.
No other company is doing this.
You don't pay money at all, you just review or play their games, and they give you money for it.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
It isn't ok to upload music and making youtube gold with it either.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
ITT: Armchair copyright/IP lawyers and entitlement.

btw, a loss of potential money is not a loss of money at all. because with this logic, a loss of a potential sale from piracy is a loss of actual money, meaning that piracy = theft.

which is not true lol.

Nintendo is giving people blanket approval to make money off of their IPs. Money that no one was not entitled to in the first place.

Free advertisement doesnt mean you're a'ok to make shekels off of nintendo, and to think other wise is 100% foolish.

Last edited:

GameWatching

Smash Ace
You don't pay money at all, you just review or play their games, and they give you money for it.
By paying them money, i mean you're sharing benefits with them now.
If you check above, you'll read that they'll be taking about 30% or 40% (or may vary like they said) of the revenues you would make usually

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
If you check above, you'll read that they'll be taking about 30% or 40% (or may vary like they said) of the revenues you would make usually
Thing is you shouldn't get money for this at all.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
So Nintendo still doesn't like people playing they're games on youtube?
Well, some things will never change.

Top Bottom