• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NFreak's Build 2.0: Updated for 3.6 Full! [Homebrew only]

NFreak

Smash Journeyman

So some of you might remember an old build I put together near the release of 3.02. It was mostly geared toward casual play, with stage expansions, new costumes, etc. Since the release of that build, I've finally gotten into both the Melee and PM competitive scenes (last place is mine forever), and with the ASL for 3.6, I've decided to make a successor to my old build from the ground up, with a much more heavy focus on professionalism.

*** As of 3.6, this build is HOMEBREW ONLY. I'll try to put the Lite pack together, as well as separate music and stage packs, but there are no promises here, as I just don't have the time, and honestly my interest in PM is fading fast as I get more into Melee.

I HIGHLY recommend using a homebrew setup, however! It takes up to half an hour to get going, has practically zero risk as long as you can follow basic instructions, and you'll never need a Wii Remote again. Grab BootMIi and the Homebrew Channel from here, and install them with the same Smash Stack method you currently use to launch PM with the hackless method.

- Every stage now has an alt stage, and many 3.6 alts have been replaced. (Default stages have been 100% UNTOUCHED)
- New music on just about every stage. Music is typically fast, hype-building, and relevant to the franchise of the stage
- Extra features such as the Josh Tomar (Skullgirls) announcer pack and competitive stage select icons (included as a small patch)

I take very little credit for the actual content of this build. I did make about half of the BRSTMs for music myself, and did a lot of graphic work, but most of the content was taken from various public sources, including but not limited to Brawl Vault and Smashboards. IF YOUR CONTENT IS IN THIS BUILD AND YOU WANT IT REMOVED, PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND I WILL DO SO.

* Costume expansions: Extra slots to accommodate more Smash 3/3C textures (no other costumes will be added). This is on hold until the CBliss codes are updated.

---------------------

I can't provide tech support in this thread like I did for my old build, I just don't have the time. Please follow the instructions carefully and everything will go smoothly. If you're not already using PM through homebrew, I would also highly recommend that so that you can use the full pack (and also get into the game so much faster).

Last edited:

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the delay, my upload speeds are garbage. These will be up TONIGHT though, EST.

Also can someone message me a 3.6 offline ISO builder so I can take some screenshots? Can't seem to find one.

EDIT: Okay Full Pack might not be up tonight. ggwp

Last edited:

Mendelsin

Smash Cadet
NFreak! I remember your build from 3.02. It's definitely what got my friends and I into Project M, and for me, more into the competitive scene. I'll definitely give this build a go

wauterboi

Smash Rookie
I love the stages you chose, however I feel like the more balanced ones should be at the forefront and the goofier ones should be on the alternative slot. Also, why are there three Pokemon stages?

I'll be switching to this one often!

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I love the stages you chose, however I feel like the more balanced ones should be at the forefront and the goofier ones should be on the alternative slot. Also, why are there three Pokemon stages?

I'll be switching to this one often!
I was thinking that actually, and will likely change that in the next update. PM already had 3 Pokemon stages, and I didn't want this build to deviate too far from 3.6b (adding content rather than changing it), that's nothing new.

Imbusioux

Smash Rookie
Loving the pack! Just wanted to let you know that whenever I pick FD it always seems to load the brawl version even if i dont hold L. Also I dont know if it was deliberate but theres no sound when the cursor passes over characters and stages or when you select one.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Loving the pack! Just wanted to let you know that whenever I pick FD it always seems to load the brawl version even if i dont hold L. Also I dont know if it was deliberate but theres no sound when the cursor passes over characters and stages or when you select one.
Not sure about the FD issue. I don't have that problem. Try reformatting your card and putting it on there again.

I do know about the menu sound bug though. I think it might be a side effect of the announcer pack (only thing I can think of, maybe that sound is included in the announcer files? I didn't touch any other sfx files). That'll be fixed soon enough.

Imbusioux

Smash Rookie
So after formatting and further experimenting I've learned that after the first play on FD it always seems to play the brawl fd even if you dont hold L, UNLESS you select the stage immediately (I'm talking no hesitation straight to it). Pretty strange, I'm guessing something loads after a few seconds that causes this glitch

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
So after formatting and further experimenting I've learned that after the first play on FD it always seems to play the brawl fd even if you dont hold L, UNLESS you select the stage immediately (I'm talking no hesitation straight to it). Pretty strange, I'm guessing something loads after a few seconds that causes this glitch
That's really weird. I'll go test that myself after work tomorrow and see what I can do. Does it do that on any other stages for you?

Last edited:

Wasabi_Skillz

Smash Rookie
Great build! So glad to have this released so quickly after the 3.6 beta release. Only problem I ran into was that the Bowser's Castle stage wasn't loading properly. I was only getting the competitive version with or without holding L. No big deal though. I just replaced the competitive version with a copy of the original. Good work!

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Great build! So glad to have this released so quickly after the 3.6 beta release. Only problem I ran into was that the Bowser's Castle stage wasn't loading properly. I was only getting the competitive version with or without holding L. No big deal though. I just replaced the competitive version with a copy of the original. Good work!
Huh. With this and the reported FD bug there seem to be some issues with the codes. I'll check it out tonight.

LePombaer2

Smash Rookie
Hey,

I have a problem with the installing:

I have hack wii/homebrew and a 2 GB SD card, so I took the Light-Pack. I deleted all projectm 3.6b files on the sd-card to get space. Now, when I try to pull the new projectm files on the sd card, it doesnt work, because there is not enough space on the sd card.
It says I have only 1,76 GB free but it needs 1,83 GB. What to do?

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Hey,

I have a problem with the installing:

I have hack wii/homebrew and a 2 GB SD card, so I took the Light-Pack. I deleted all projectm 3.6b files on the sd-card to get space. Now, when I try to pull the new projectm files on the sd card, it doesnt work, because there is not enough space on the sd card.
It says I have only 1,76 GB free but it needs 1,83 GB. What to do?
Usually 2gb cards have around 1.85 to actually use, looks like yours has a bit less. If you know how to use the song manager (lakora.us) you can easily remove some music from banned stages to clear some space.

LePombaer2

Smash Rookie
I dont know how to use it. I dont know much about this programming/computer stuff. Please tell me the easiest way to get down to 1,76. Thank you :)

Willsaber

Smash Cadet
Aww man! I love the Harmony of Heroes soundtrack, and I'm so glad that you're incorporating a couple of the tracks into this build!

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I dont know how to use it. I dont know much about this programming/computer stuff. Please tell me the easiest way to get down to 1,76. Thank you :)
Sure. So grab that program, it's very user friendly. Open your PM directory (the root of your SD card if you don't have a copy on your machine). Then under Options, choose to sort by stage.

New tracks on the left panel have an asterisk next to them. Find ones on stages you don't care about. On each track you don't want, click Default on the top right to restore its name, then right click the track in the left panel and click Delete. When you're done, Update mu_musicmain under Tools, and under File, save the Info.pac.

I would estimate that deleting about 10 tracks should cut it down enough. In particular, you can delete N07 and anything that comes after it on Smashville, as those are the Saturday night only tracks (when KK Slider is there). Lylat Cruise also has a full selection of music but will likely be banned in most tournaments now so you can go ahead and clear some of those out too.

I found the issue with some of the stages and the alt stages. I accidentally set them to A OR L rather than A AND L, so if you hold A after you select a stage it'll load the alt too. I'll fix that up and put out a hotfix, then update the main downloads on Sunday.

EDIT: Hotfix released, grab it here.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/v7y1cxftsu5bfa8/Alt_Stage_Hotfix.zip

Last edited:

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I meant the Competitive SSS Patch folder.
I'll get screenshots once I can run it on dolphin. It changes the icons and portraits to have colored borders stating whether stages are typically starters, counterpicks, or banned stages.

The included pack assumes row 1 starters and row 2 counters, but most TOs don't use this strictly (14 legal stages is a ton) so the PSD files are included.

LePombaer2

Smash Rookie
Haha I really made it happen ( I am proud of myself right now). Thank you for the detailed explanation. I have two questions left:
1. whats the difference between lite and full version (perhaps I will buy a 4 GB sd card)
2. I just saw that you often made a more competitive version of the maps as the alternative map. I always choose the stage random. But it seems that random always gets the "original" version of these maps. Is there a way to change this?

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Haha I really made it happen ( I am proud of myself right now). Thank you for the detailed explanation. I have two questions left:
1. whats the difference between lite and full version (perhaps I will buy a 4 GB sd card)
2. I just saw that you often made a more competitive version of the maps as the alternative map. I always choose the stage random. But it seems that random always gets the "original" version of these maps. Is there a way to change this?
Glad to hear it worked out!

The lite version has less music, that's actually the only difference. I couldn't fit everything I wanted into just 1.8 GB, so I made the full pack an option and a smaller pack available for non-homebrew users or for those without 4 GB or greater cards.

I do plan to address the stage thing in the next update. If you want to change it yourself, I don't have graphics ready just yet but you can swap around the base and _Z stages and module files in pf/stage/melee and pf/module for the stages you want to switch around.

thedufe

Smash Rookie
Might be the best pack I've seen so far. The music choice is damn near perfect.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I learned that Smashville did receive some slight changes to its platform movement (possibly Norfair too). I've messed with the alts to update them, haven't given them a try yet. But just keep that in mind before using them in bracket, Greenville isn't 3.6 legal just yet.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
May I make a request? Are you going to add any ___ Vs. Quad City DJs music to your own build? :p
Nope, sorry. I had some joke tracks like that in my old one, and if I'm still maintaining this when April rolls around I'll do an april fools patch again like this year with that sort of stuff, but I won't be putting anything in the main files.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Hey NFreak, is this build online compatible?
I doubt it. For Netplay you need to be using the exact same ISO, and I have no idea how the wifi build works but this wasn't made to be wifi safe so it might. I didn't change any character bones or stage collisions, but the alt stages have all been changed.

PsychoGhost

Smash Apprentice
Looks like a lot of nice work! :D

How would I go about only utilizing the component of your build where every stage has an alt.? Would I just need your RSBE01.gct file? (probably the "hotfix" one)

If not, what would I need? If you could possibly PM, I had a few questions regarding how to get the alt. stage coding to work.

Please and thank you! :D

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Looks like a lot of nice work! :D

How would I go about only utilizing the component of your build where every stage has an alt.? Would I just need your RSBE01.gct file? (probably the "hotfix" one)

If not, what would I need? If you could possibly PM, I had a few questions regarding how to get the alt. stage coding to work.

Please and thank you! :D
Yep, exactly. Download the Stages Only pack and then apply the hotfix to that, overwriting any files including the codeset.

Dranakar

Smash Apprentice
Awesome job :) Will be basing my personal build off yours. Any chance you might post the templates for the map icons? Like the green/yellow/red border + starter/counter/banned signs :) Would make it a lot easier to create map icons for custom stages/Map updates!

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Awesome job :) Will be basing my personal build off yours. Any chance you might post the templates for the map icons? Like the green/yellow/red border + starter/counter/banned signs :) Would make it a lot easier to create map icons for custom stages/Map updates!
The PSD files are included in the patch folder.

Last edited:

Dranakar

Smash Apprentice
The PSD files are included in the patch folder.
Uhhhmmmm, I really can't find any PSD files. Are you sure you included them? I only find sc_selmap.pac in the
"Competitive SSS patch" folder.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:
Top Bottom