• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
well I certainly didn’t want Daisy to be playable
Really? Like you actually went to Daisy fans and said "Daisy should not be playable" or was it after she was revealed you then thought it was bad ... Or was it just a man I hope they don't make Daisy playable situation which I'd still need a "why" filled in cause why ..?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Really? Like you actually went to Daisy fans and said "Daisy should not be playable" or was it after she was revealed you then thought it was bad ... Or was it just a man I hope they don't make Daisy playable situation which I'd still need a "why" filled in cause why ..?
For some people, they do it...because they can.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Just this game there were people who didn't want Ridley, Daisy, Chrom, Isabelle, Incineroar, Byleth, Steve, and Pyra & Mythra playable. Every character has detraction, but these were the more notable ones pre-inclusion. Piranha Plant and probably Terry would've been included too had they been more expected.

And I'll be honest, there are characters among those I didn't want. There's no point rolling into that fanbase and being like "yo I don't like this character and they shouldn't be playable", that's acrimony for acrimony's sake, but sure, there were some I wasn't thrilled to see. Not like it ruined the game or anything.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I just really don’t like Daisy. Surely everyone has characters they don’t like and wouldn’t want playable?

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I think Pokken is a rad game, but no, appearing there is not nearly on the same level as being chosen as a Smash fighter.

Regardless, independent of anything Smash-related, I am really not a fan of the designs for either Decidueye or Incineroar. Which was a shame when they were revealed, since I liked both Litten and Rowlet when they were revealed. At least I like Primarina ok, though it's far from my favorite starter line.

That said, thinking about Pokemon representation in Smash from a more objective angle has actually led me to greater appreciation of a lot of the fanbase favorites, and I enjoy rooting for picks that aren't necessarily among my personal faves, though my tastes do have some overlap with the most popular ones.

Even still...I haven't been able to get behind Incineroar in Smash. Even putting aside my personal feelings on his design, I just don't see him as anything special among any number of other more popular options, even among starters, and even among more recent starters. I do have friends who are casual players and enjoy using Incineroar in Smash, and I concur that his moveset is fun and interesting enough, but...there's just too many others who'd be equally or more fun and interesting that I'd rather have. Even Decidueye, who I literally just said I dislike the design of, I'd probably be much more behind by now as a Smash inclusion had it gotten in over Incineroar.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Have people not wanted a character? Yeah... yeah that's happened.

Off the top of my head, may I introduce you to this guy?
Was on the No-nsey train until i actually played Fortnite lol, I wouldn't mind him now and honestly think it'd be kind of hype to see him. If you think about it, having a massive video game crossover in the modern day that doesn't include him would be a little strange, considering how much of a media juggernaut Fortnite has become. It's like, THE big video game in a lot of people's eyes and has had enough time to cement itself into the greater gaming landscape that you can't find someone who wouldn't recognize him, even if they end up calling him "guy from fortnite" or "fortnight phillip" or whatever.

Not saying he 100% NEEDS to be in the next game, I can very easily see the devs simply not adding him, but if there's ever a name that screams "big gaming all-star from well-known title that many people have played and continue to play", it's Jonesy.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Daisy has a shockingly loud hatebase. She seems to be a character of two extremes, people who really love her and people who really hate her, with the two often fueling each other.

And when I say love, I mean obsessive! User's like Michaellol and Memoryman became notorious for talking about nothing except Daisy to the point they fuelled peoples hate for the characters. Lately it feels more accepted to simply like Daisy but back in the day, it was either love or hate, no inbetween

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Really? Don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone else
Maybe on Smashboards where ever is off in their own support threads, it isn't as noticeable. But most over on to GameFAQs and yeah, Daisy is a massive mixed back. It's probably more targeted at Daisy fans rather than Daisy herself but the "Hi I'm Daisy." Is a bit weird

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Was on the No-nsey train until i actually played Fortnite lol, I wouldn't mind him now and honestly think it'd be kind of hype to see him. If you think about it, having a massive video game crossover in the modern day that doesn't include him would be a little strange, considering how much of a media juggernaut Fortnite has become. It's like, THE big video game in a lot of people's eyes and has had enough time to cement itself into the greater gaming landscape that you can't find someone who wouldn't recognize him, even if they end up calling him "guy from fortnite" or "fortnight phillip" or whatever.

Not saying he 100% NEEDS to be in the next game, I can very easily see the devs simply not adding him, but if there's ever a name that screams "big gaming all-star from well-known title that many people have played and continue to play", it's Jonesy.
I have big "alright let's get it over with" energy about Jonesy. I don't really want him but I acknowledge that Fortnite is Fortnite so I get it. If he gets in I'm not going to raise a stink, but I'm not going to cheer either.

That said, I don't think it's that strange to have a big crossover without him. There are many big series still not in Smash. Plus a lot of stuff appears in Fortnite, but I'm not sure how much Fortnite appears in other stuff. I still think Ryu is Mr. Crossover, of anyone.

Fascinating. No personally I don't know of a single character I wouldn't want playable. To each there own as they say.
From a human perspective I think it's stranger to not dislike any potential character. People don't like everything and that's fine as long as you aren't telling others what and what not to like. Appreciating that others like them doesn't mean you have to as well. But all the power to you.

Maybe on Smashboards where ever is off in their own support threads, it isn't as noticeable. But most over on to GameFAQs and yeah, Daisy is a massive mixed back. It's probably more targeted at Daisy fans rather than Daisy herself but the "Hi I'm Daisy." Is a bit weird
My experience is most people here don't care if you disparage a character before they got in. They may disagree and offer a counterargument, but overall you can dislike a candidate pretty freely. But then if you do it afterwards the dogpile will come after you.

This seemed especially pronounced with Steve. And earlier with Cloud. They were both divisive before they got in. People may forget that.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I have no idea how anyone can develop strong feelings of either kind about Daisy of all characters... But it apparently happened.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I view having him in smash as similarly to how i view Sora being in smash.

Having a game original character from a game that features characters brought in from all walks of pop culture is pretty cool.

It would actually be the closest thing we ever get to having Goku in smash since as we all know he was brought to the Fortnite island.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
From a human perspective I think it's stranger to not dislike any potential character. People don't like everything and that's fine as long as you aren't telling others what and what not to like. Appreciating that others like them doesn't mean you have to as well. But all the power to you.
Well, see for me Smash is a fighting game first ... So whether Character gets in is entirely irrelevant for me because they're another chance to play the fighting game with their uniqueness and see how they compare to everyone else ... That's the thing I look for in fighters... The added bonus to Smash is that these fighters are mapped onto famous video game sprites as opposed to OGs like literally every other fighter that isn't an all star fighter so that's why I think it's unusual to actively not want whatever character because who knows maybe they're fun to use! But then we get into character hate which I realize exists and that's just wasted effort IMHO to experience hate towards a video game character or to actively be worried they may get it the game over your most wanted as if that's how any of this works.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Well, see for me Smash is a fighting game first ... So whether Character gets in is entirely irrelevant for me because they're another chance to play the fighting game with their uniqueness and see how they compare to everyone else ... That's the thing I look for in fighters... The added bonus to Smash is that these fighters are mapped onto famous video game sprites as opposed to OGs like literally every other fighter that isn't an all star fighter so that's why I think it's unusual to actively not want whatever character because who knows maybe they're fun to use! But then we get into character hate which I realize exists and that's just wasted effort IMHO to experience hate towards a video game character or to actively be worried they may get it the game over your most wanted as if that's how any of this works.
Definitely different here. For me, Smash is crossover first. I can play anyone and enjoy it. I get more joy from playing the characters I like. So just whether or not I like the character or not is a big factor if I want them in Smash or not.

And yeah, there are characters I don't want in Smash. And there characters in Smash I don't like, one in particular I've disliked from the moment they got revealed and is my first pick for a cut. I don't like them in Smash because generally I didn't like them before Smash. Sometimes the fanbase has an influence. If I don't know the character and my only point of reference is their fanbase, then that's probably gonna sway things too.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Definitely different here. For me, Smash is crossover first. I can play anyone and enjoy it. I get more joy from playing the characters I like. So just whether or not I like the character or not is a big factor if I want them in Smash or not.
This isn't super relevant to the rest of your point, but I feel like "I can play anyone and enjoy it" has less to do with any crossover appeal and more just game design. Most fighting games want all their fighters to be enjoyable to play, I imagine.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I was sad after the Ridley comment. But this is too much.
How can I get excited about a fighting game that's still 900+ fighters away from EiH?

That's clearly not true since a z-axis and polygonal graphics in games are still things.
Hey now. Not EVERY game was better in the sprite era. Mario Kart, Pilotwings, F-Zero...those games were ROUGH on the SNES, and really blossomed in 3D.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Man, I wish Isabelle had her voice in Smash Bros.
One of the most baffling sound design choices to me, I hope that's mended next game. Her animalese has become so iconic by now that it just seems like one of her defining traits is absent. I wouldn't go as far to say that it doesn't feel like you're actually playing as Isabelle or anything, but it does make her feel like sort of an empty husk. That's Villager's thing!

The other one for me is that Pac-Man doesn't make his death sound during the star KO. It's been said a thousand times, it just bears repeating. It's so obvious.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Fascinating. No personally I don't know of a single character I wouldn't want playable.
Jigglypuff, Dr. Mario, Young Link, Pichu, Roy, Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Sheik, ROB, Zero Suit Samus, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Corrin, Piranha Plant, Incineroar, Ridley, Byleth.

If I had a time machine, I'd stop Sakurai from making any of these guys Fighters. Some would get to be Alt Costumes, Assist Trophies in Brawl, or Echoes in Ultimate. But none of them would have been their own Fighters. And I'd replace them by making all the other semi clones completely unique(Ganondorf, Falco, Lucas, Toon Link, Wolf, Chrom Isabelle) or with completely new characters.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
One of the most baffling sound design choices to me, I hope that's mended next game. Her animalese has become so iconic by now that it just seems like one of her defining traits is absent. I wouldn't go as far to say that it doesn't feel like you're actually playing as Isabelle or anything, but it does make her feel like sort of an empty husk. That's Villager's thing!

The other one for me is that Pac-Man doesn't make his death sound during the star KO. It's been said a thousand times, it just bears repeating. It's so obvious.
voices have to be the easiest things to fix, and it's funny because they're the most annoying examples of flaws in Smash Bros. There's a lot to be improved in this department, since characters have either wrong voices like Bowser and the DK crew, absent voices like Olimar, Mega Man, and Isabelle, or voice clips that are just... too old / low energy for Smash like Mario's and Wario's. It's not like they don't have the budget to re-record basically everything, lol

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
voice clips that are just... too old / low energy for Smash like Mario's and Wario's
Well this is gonna have to happen next game anyway since Charles Martinet retired, so I suspect they'll probably be reworking a handful of character voices. Hopefully in the process they may reconsider the entire Mario cast - and while they're at it, I think we've worn out the Brawl victory themes by now too. I'm not saying everything needs to be changed, but some of these sound clips have been unchanged for three games and it's beginning to be felt. Maybe with a smaller roster more time and budget can be put toward this.

Isabelle in particular is the easiest fix, because you're not recording anything new and you don't need her to even be saying anything identifiable. You're just sprinkling in a few extra sounds layered on top of select actions. It makes me feel like it was left out deliberately, I hope that isn't the case and they're open to making that simple adjustment next time.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey now. Not EVERY game was better in the sprite era. Mario Kart, Pilotwings, F-Zero...those games were ROUGH on the SNES, and really blossomed in 3D.
Honestly? I'm beginning to realize that it might not be such a coincidence that I VASTLY prefer the immediate/'distant' sequels to just about all of the games you've listed here (MK: Double Dash!! (the distant sequel I was referring to just now, BTW), Pilotwings 64, F-Zero X).

While Isabelle not 'talking' is weird to me, both Captain Olimar and Alph feel just as, if not MORE jarring to me on this front.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Personnally there's no character I hate, I feel like even if I don't like the pick itself, usually I try to find something positive about their inclusion. Ice climbers is an example of a character I just can't care about because I do think that even as a retro pick it's a pretty poor choice (Takamaru, Ayumi Tachibana, Excitebike or Mach rider would have been much better choice imo, and even Duck hunt was such a better retro choice despite coming 2 games later than IC). But I'm still glad Icies are there at all, the duo gimmick is pretty fun and they brought very cool music to Smash.

Sora is another one that I'm wasn't a fan of, especially because KH3 made me despise the franchise pretty hard, but again I'm just happy that they managed to break everyone expectations and bring the most requested fighters from the ballot, and that alone make me pretty happy.

Overall as long as the character bring something new on the table I'll be pretty happy. Even clones like Lucina I do like that you have an option to play a non-tipper Marth and having more female fighters is always welcome.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
While Isabelle not 'talking' is weird to me, both Captain Olimar and Alph feel just as, if not MORE jarring to me on this front.
I think these two should talk also, but I feel like there's a more identifiable reason for it. Not a GOOD reason, but a reason nonetheless, that the Pikmin are treated as the main focus and their voices can still be clearly heard. And perhaps they were concerned having Olimar make grunts on top of that would be too much? Rosalina and Luma beg to differ, so I don't think the logic holds up but at least someone is talking and this isn't a totally silent character.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff, Dr. Mario, Young Link, Pichu, Roy, Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Sheik, ROB, Zero Suit Samus, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Corrin, Piranha Plant, Incineroar, Ridley, Byleth.

If I had a time machine, I'd stop Sakurai from making any of these guys Fighters. Some would get to be Alt Costumes, Assist Trophies in Brawl, or Echoes in Ultimate. But none of them would have been their own Fighters. And I'd replace them by making all the other semi clones completely unique(Ganondorf, Falco, Lucas, Toon Link, Wolf, Chrom Isabelle) or with completely new characters.
Thankfully you will never get one.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
- and while they're at it, I think we've worn out the Brawl victory themes by now too. I'm not saying everything needs to be changed, but some of these sound clips have been unchanged for three games and it's beginning to be felt. Maybe with a smaller roster more time and budget can be put toward this.
Thank you for bringing up the victory themes, those could definitely use a good ol' refreshing too. A lot of Brawl victory themes are orchestral and elegant, and while those were nice for the time, they feel too serene nowadays, especially DK's.

Here's some favorite fan victory themes I'd love to see the official Smash games do something similar to.

https://soundcloud.com/user-162383856%2Fsuper-mario-bros-wonder-level-clear%23t%3D0%3A00 https://soundcloud.com/user-162383856%2Fpikmin-end-of-day-todays-record

That last one isn't exactly what I'm looking for in DK's theme, but if a new version of it was arranged it would be perfect. That Jungle Beat fanfare is just too good to pass up, and it's exactly the kind of bombastic theme I expect to hear for the big ape winning a match.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
That last one isn't exactly what I'm looking for in DK's theme, but if a new version of it was arranged it would be perfect. That Jungle Beat fanfare is just too good to pass up, and it's exactly the kind of bombastic theme I expect to hear for the big ape winning a match.
I kinda prefer this option too actually, just because it's so punchy and in your face, but I can't help but laugh about how a decade ago DK fans would have had Sakurai's head on a stake for turning yet another DKC song into Jungle Hijinx lol

To be honest, the victory theme that bugs me the most is Wolf's. Like, that one is just SO obvious. I could list a bunch of others who I think deserved a unique theme, but this one is especially egregious just given how prominent Star Wolf's theme is. And I can hear it so clearly too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom