• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
The game was for anime style characters. Let it go.
While Sonic was inspired by Rubberhose cartoons like Mickey Mouse and Felix the Cat (seen in the classic era games), the modern games takes some cues from the Shonen demography manga and anime. Just look at Super Sonic.

At the very least, if the Cross games got a port collection to the Switch, my crazy dream is Sonic being some sort of secret boss as a joke. But still very powerful. (Think on the Ryo's dream match on Fatal Fury Special, mixed with Culex from Super Mario RPG, but with a joke factor)

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Puyo Puyo in Project X Zone is a very baffling absence. There are humans in that franchise. (well, except Carbuncle but that's another story)

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think I'm more put off by Golden Axe characters not making it to Project X Zone. A pairing unit with Gilius Thunderhead & Sir Arthur would be great.
It was also a missed opportunity because if it did happen, Gilius would also get to interact with the .hack characters. The ending of the original Golden Axe has most of the characters jumping out of the arcade machine and entering the real world so in this scenario Kite and/or Xiaomu would recognize the name "Golden Axe" from a really old arcade game.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Why is it that every time somebody vaguely brings up PXZ, you always complain about how Sonic isn't a playable character?
Because it's a game where Sega characters crossover, that doesn't have Sega's most popular character?

Like, wasn't that one of the main appeals of Sega's appearance, to allow other IPs a chance in the spotlight?
Except the best way to expose people to some of your obscure characters is to...put them next to the popular ones.

If all you do is make a game full of your more obscure characters, the only people that play it are...fans of those obscure characters. So you're not introducing them to any new fans.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You know it’s really nice having other SEGA franchises take a hold over Sonic kinda why I was in favor of having another SEGA character in the DLC for Smash since they have so many characters outside of Sonic people don’t appreciate these days.

I think there’s just kind of a novelty to it having other characters outside sonic which is why PXZ appeals to me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Which is equally dumb.

...shouldn't it though? Otherwise...what are ya even doin'?
Nah, then we'd get the exact same roster in every single game, that's no fun.

Plus, not every character fits into every game. Just like SEGA's All-Star Racing games mostly avoid characters from JRPGs and such, Project X Zone avoids scrimblos.

You know it’s really nice having other SEGA franchises take a hold over Sonic kinda why I was in favor of having another SEGA character in the DLC for Smash since they have so many characters outside of Sonic people don’t appreciate these days.

I think there’s just kind of a novelty to it having other characters outside sonic which is why PXZ appeals to me.
Yeah, Sonic fans' having a meltdown over missing a single game will never be not funny to me and I'm saying this as a Sonic fan. He's not hurting in crossover appearances in any way, there's no harm in letting other SEGA IPs get the spotlight once in a while.

Not to mention, it's entirely possible that PXZ was simply too mature for characters like Sonic.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
The second PXZ had Nintendo characters. But they had FE and no Zelda, even though, unlike Sonic, Link and Zelda certainly would've fit that game's design choices, and... it's Link and Zelda. And remember when FE Warriors just... didn't bother with Ike or Roy?

And we all recall when MvC3 decided it could do without Mega Man.

And then there was the "**** the X-Men/F4" phase of Marvel products.

I understand lamenting the absence of all these characters. But **** all this stuff was years ago. Belabouring it can't help. **** happens.

The PXZ rosters are also heavily Japan-oriented, which isn't Sonic's strong suit. I think the first one was developed without the conscious intent to even localize it.

At least Sonic is one of a very small number of Sega series that has consistently received games since its inception, is in no danger of going away, and shows up... with high regularity in many Sega-related crossovers. Dude's doing fine.

When Mega Man didn't show in MvC3 that was the beginning of the end for him, which he's... only sort of bounced back from, but not really.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Not to mention, it's entirely possible that PXZ was simply too mature for characters like Sonic.
Would you call a game with Phoenix Wright and Segata Sanshiro too mature? Although that could be the Segata Sanshiro effect, like how he activated Classic Mode for Chrom and Lucina.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Congratulations. You found the one exception that proves the norm.
It's depressing that Phantasy Star, Shining or Valkyria (not the Namco one) weren't there.

Heck, there wasn't a Puyo Puyo characters in any game, only a Garbage Puyo for the Japanese version of Transformed.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Would you call a game with Phoenix Wright and Segata Sanshiro too mature? Although that could be the Segata Sanshiro effect, like how he activated Classic Mode for Chrom and Lucina.
That's just speculation on my part but PXZ had a lot of stuff that made it T-rated. "Mature" probably wasn't the right term but it does have a lot of suggestive themes.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Because it's a game where Sega characters crossover, that doesn't have Sega's most popular character?

Except the best way to expose people to some of your obscure characters is to...put them next to the popular ones.

If all you do is make a game full of your more obscure characters, the only people that play it are...fans of those obscure characters. So you're not introducing them to any new fans.
Okay so here's the thing about that.

Project X Zone was designed with a Japanese audience in mind first and foremost, because the games in this crossover multiverse typically didn't leave Japan (With some exceptions that slipped through the cracks because Atlus decided to localize them) from my understanding a Localization wasn't decided until later in development.

The result of this is that the Sega roster IS filled with popular characters... its just that their popular only to the Japanese Sega fanbase, hence why these games gave Sakura wars so much love because Sega treats these characters as mascots over there.

These games werent really meant for us so of course they didn't include characters who are popular to us.

Ivander

Smash Legend
This image summarizes "Sonic in Project X Zone":
View attachment 367754
Probably not the best image to use when Micheal Caine/Scrooge's whole deal in that movie(and to an extent, every other human character) was acting like there weren't any Muppets around. Which would the equivalent of everybody acting like Sonic isn't a blue hedgehog that becomes a more powerful shiny hedgehog.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I love not knowing anything about Project X Zone because every time it's mentioned I learn something new about it. Like, huh, it has SEGA stuff? There's Fire Emblem content!? What even is this, I thought it was a Bandai Namco x Capcom thing lol. Is it a crossover with like every anime human-esque character from a game under the sun or something??? Next thing you guys are gonna tell me Xenoblade's in it too or something, hahahaha! Does it simply have everything ever? Is it even real, or did we all just collectively make it up? This sounds more like a fever dream than a real game franchise lol

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I love not knowing anything about Project X Zone because every time it's mentioned I learn something new about it. Like, huh, it has SEGA stuff? There's Fire Emblem content!? What even is this, I thought it was a Bandai Namco x Capcom thing lol. Is it a crossover with like every anime human-esque character from a game under the sun or something??? Next thing you guys are gonna tell me Xenoblade's in it too or something, hahahaha! Does it simply have everything ever? Is it even real, or did we all just collectively make it up? This sounds more like a fever dream than a real game franchise lol
It's a crossover that started with Namco x Capcom on the PS2. This is the only game to feature any true scrimblos, unless you count Arthur from Ghosts N Goblins who is in the second game.

The second game, Project x Zone, added Sega, and the three companies got roughly equal representation, it was on the 3DS.

The third game, a direct sequel to the second, added in 3 Nintendo characters, 2 from Fire Emblem Awakening and one from Xenoblade Chronicles. This was also on 3DS.

The games are part tactical game with some light fighting game esque mechanics? Though I'll admit I wish there was more depth to the combat.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
It's a crossover that started with Namco x Capcom on the PS2. This is the only game to feature any true scrimblos, unless you count Arthur from Ghosts N Goblins who is in the second game.

The second game, Project x Zone, added Sega, and the three companies got roughly equal representation, it was on the 3DS.

The third game, a direct sequel to the second, added in 3 Nintendo characters, 2 from Fire Emblem Awakening and one from Xenoblade Chronicles. This was also on 3DS.

The games are part tactical game with some light fighting game esque mechanics? Though I'll admit I wish there was more depth to the combat.
Ohhh, so that's why I thought it was just Namco and Capcom, I didn't realize that was an earlier game! That's cool to know. Also I'm a bit surprised my Xenoblade guess ended up being accurate lol. But like, that actually makes sense, didn't realize those last two were 3DS exclusive until now.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Ohhh, so that's why I thought it was just Namco and Capcom, I didn't realize that was an earlier game! That's cool to know. Also I'm a bit surprised my Xenoblade guess ended up being accurate lol. But like, that actually makes sense, didn't realize those last two were 3DS exclusive until now.
Monolith was also the developer, so the Xenoblade stuff makes even more sense with that in mind.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Yeah, Sonic fans' having a meltdown over missing a single game will never be not funny to me and I'm saying this as a Sonic fan. He's not hurting in crossover appearances in any way, there's no harm in letting other SEGA IPs get the spotlight once in a while.

This is what's hilarious to me. It'd be one thing if Sonic was in a sort of Mega-Man-in-the-early-2010s-ish state, but no. He's currently in an extremely good position. He's constantly in the spotlight, he just got a pretty well-regarded new mainline game, he keeps getting well-recieved movies and comics and ****, he's doing great. But oh noooooooo, he didn't show up in a 10-year-old game whose artstyle he didn't even fit anyway! Not only does it come off as extremely entitled, it goes to show how much Sonic fans value other SEGA stuff that isn't in their little bubble of Scrimblo Bimblo Who Showed Up In The All-Stars Games I Guess. Cause who cares about all these dumb franchises like Sakura Wars, Space Channel 5, House of the Dead, Streets of Rage, Shinobi or goddamn Yakuza, amirite fellas? Clearly, if it doesn't have Sonic, it immediately stops mattering! It's this sense of willful ignorance that drives me nuts.

basically sonic fans talking about pxz are this
images (13).jpeg

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
You wanna know something even more wild?

The project X Zone timeline is explicitly statd to be in-canon to BandaiNamco's other crossover RPG franchise

Where the protagonist of this game specifically met the main protagonists of Namco X Capcom.

And that friendship carries over to the first Project X Zone game, where they mentioned they met on a different mission.
And then the SRW game that came out after the first Project X Zone game mentions PXZ as a thing that happened recently to a couple of the characters.

And in the 2021 SRW game the Sakura wars characters meet one of the three characters from SRW who was also in Project X Zone and there's a scene of them being all buddy-buddy, a nod to Project X Zone years after the last game has ever been mentioned sure made me happy when i came across that scene ingame.

I like mentioning this funfact to people who hear about Project X Zone the first time, this game takes place in a universe where Kazuma Kiryu could potentially bump into Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop if he walks down the wrong alleyway because of Kingdom hearts-like gateways to other worlds.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's also worth noting that this goes completely against established sales trends for the series. Typically the debut generation of a console is the best selling pair. This has thus far held true: Red and Blue outsold Gold and Silver, Diamond and Pearl outsold Black and White, and X and Y outsold Sun and Moon.

So either the negative reception toward Sword and Shield actually did have a significant impact on its sales and it would've gotten even more if that hadn't happened, or Scarlet and Violet legitimately did the proverbially impossible and bucked the established trend. Either way, it's very interesting to see.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
They tried something new and it certainly paid off, i just wish Paldea didnt feel smaller than the fortnite island.
Yeah, I’d love if the Pokémon world were as fun to explore as the Xenoblade worlds. It’s baffling how much higher production values Xenoblade has compared to Pokémon when it sells only around 10% of what Pokémon does. I do appreciate that they’re at least trying to make the worlds more interesting and it’s a big step up from Sword and Shield but I feel it’s also a step back from Legends Arceus in many ways.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yeah, I’d love if the Pokémon world were as fun to explore as the Xenoblade worlds. It’s baffling how much higher production values Xenoblade has compared to Pokémon when it sells only around 10% of what Pokémon does. I do appreciate that they’re at least trying to make the worlds more interesting and it’s a big step up from Sword and Shield but I feel it’s also a step back from Legends Arceus in many ways.
The asthetic specifically feels like a massive step back, the asthetic in Legends is just "Chef kiss"

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Here are my predictions.
-Advance Wars release date