• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Idk why anyone would call ARMS a dead series when it isn’t dead yet (it came out in the switch life cycle) and isn’t a series yet.

If we are on the topic of Sega content, my dream Sega content would be a Comix Zone stage. It is one of the most inventive and visually unique games of its era, I’d love to see how it would be adapted into a stage.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
If we are on the topic of Sega content, my dream Sega content would be a Comix Zone stage. It is one of the most inventive and visually unique games of its era, I’d love to see how it would be adapted into a stage.
My dream SEGA content world be Club SEGA as a stage.
nvm, they sold their arcade output

dream1ng

Smash Lord
NiGHTS was Saturn? I thought that was Dreamcast...

Also yeah, Tempo looks like a fun little dude. If Smash was a rhythm game, he'd be top tier, I bet.
It sort of has the Dreamcast sensibilities of imaginative, ambitious, colorful, underrated and desperate.

But nope, it's Saturn.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
On the Sega content, my dream would be to have Asha from Monster World 4 as a character.

Mostly for the Pepelogoo appearance in her moveset.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I would bomb a small french village to get vectorman in smash
Er, let's avoid the war jokes for now. Advance Wars dans are STILL suffering because of unforeseen real world events...
I would french a small village to get bomberman in smash

I wouldn't village small frenchmen to get vector in smash, though
But would you vector small frenchmen to get village in Smash?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I miss Shining Force in general. It's ignored a lot when it comes to SEGA stuff(including by its own owner). Being they do bring back a lot of older works, it's probably because they acquired it far later on or something??? Whereas the older works they often owned from the start. I could be off on that. It's not like the older works are given anything new beyond an appearance in a crossover, so sometimes it feels odd this series isn't ever included.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I of course want Kiryu in smash as another Sega rep, he's basically the mascot at this point since they make more Yakuza stuff nowadays than Sonic stuff.

Include classic Sega arcade games as mii costumes alongside him, like Puyo Puyo, Fighting Vipers and Virtual On.

I miss Shining Force in general. It's ignored a lot when it comes to SEGA stuff(including by its own owner). Being they do bring back a lot of older works, it's probably because they acquired it far later on or something??? Whereas the older works they often owned from the start. I could be off on that. It's not like the older works are given anything new beyond an appearance in a crossover, so sometimes it feels odd this series isn't ever included.
I think the last time we got Shining force anything was in Project X Zone.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
If Camelot parted ways with Nintendo you can bet they wouldn't bother with Golden Sun again. Not that anything has come of it in a long time, anyway.

I guess it's nice Sega has kept Shining going in Camelot's absence. Though I have no idea if the new games are any good.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Most fire emblem reps are for advertisement but why other series such as Zelda and Kirby mainly don’t get the same treatment despite having bigger audience and new games coming that can be advertised?
I think Intelligent Systems might just ask for help promoting things more often? Like, maybe the others don't go out of their way to make requests on a regular basis. Or, Intelligent Systems may simply have really good relations with Mr. Sakurai and Bandai Namco. I have no idea what Nintendo's internal politics are like but I won't be shocked if they're a factor.

So, aside from the current conversation, does anyone think we will get a Direct announcement tomorrow if the rumors mean anything now? If so, why (else) do you think that?
Haven't been following the rumors but I've been guessing sometime this week. At the very least I expect we'll get something this month. I'd also bet on a Pokémon direct in February and I'd imagine Nintendo would want a general direct before that.

Speaking of directs, I'll go ahead and guess what a February 2023 one could be like for fun.

Prediction:
-Kirby RTDL remake gets more details
-Mario Sports Game that's a shell of it's former self in the most boring way possible
-Sizzle reel of small games
-Something something Mario movie
-Big multi-platform JRPG
-Fire Emblem DLC
-Your bi-annual reminder that Tears of the Kingdom exists
-Mario Kart Wave 4
-Pikmin 4 gameplay and release date
-At least one farming game
-No Metroid Prime 4

Last edited:

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
I think if we were to get another SEGA series I'd take Jet Set Radio the most by far. But that's unlikely af, as JSR has been an inactive series sadly for quite some time...
I guess for ones that actually have a chance? Kiryu, Arle, or Aiai are my choices, I like all those and I think they'd bring something new to the table. Though in my honest opinion I think I just want another Sonic character, there's lots of potential with Sonic's famous cast. Whether it be Tails, Eggman, Shadow, Metal Sonic, Knuckles, there is tons you can do with another character.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Most fire emblem reps are for advertisement but why other series such as Zelda and Kirby mainly don’t get the same treatment despite having bigger audience and new games coming that can be advertised?
Probably because the regular Zelda and Kirby cast in Smash are usually sufficient marketing for new games.

You can use Link and Kirby to advertise a new Zelda and Kirby game. But using Marth or Ike to advertise a new Fire Emblem game is a harder sell. They're most likely not going to be in it.

Ivander

Smash Legend
They did try to make a Shining Force mobile game that actually focused on characters from the first couple games, but that got canned not too long after.
If Camelot parted ways with Nintendo you can bet they wouldn't bother with Golden Sun again. Not that anything has come of it in a long time, anyway.

I guess it's nice Sega has kept Shining going in Camelot's absence. Though I have no idea if the new games are any good.
The new games after the Camelot games went down a different direction. Whereas the Force games focused on tactical strategy, the games after Camelot became action-focused. There was only one attempt at another Tactical-based game and that was Shining Force Feather, which played differently from the Camelot games. Shining Blade I think may have been semi-tactical, as I think that game was similar to Valkyria Chronicles in gameplay.

That said, the games I did play after the Camelot games: Shining Soul 1 was good and Shining Soul 2 was great(both are Diablo-styled gameplay-wise), Shining Force Neo I wasn't able to finish. I didn't have any issues against it with what I played other than it being incredibly hard and reliant on potion heals, but it's possible I was playing it very wrong. Other games I didn't know were tied to the Shining series exactly or they didn't release them outside Japan, like Shining Blade, which I think is decently popular in Japan.

Edit: I did get Shining Force Refrain from a sale, but I have yet to play it.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Funny we should be taking about Ganondorf, because TKOWL just did a rework recently.

Idk why anyone would call ARMS a dead series when it isn’t dead yet (it came out in the switch life cycle) and isn’t a series yet.
Seriously. It came out THIS console.

A series isn't dead until it's missed a console generation.

I of course want Kiryu in smash as another Sega rep, he's basically the mascot at this point since they make more Yakuza stuff nowadays than Sonic stuff.
Agreed. This should be his Final Smash.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
My sega content is arle.

and my direct predictions cause why not:
Tears of the kingdom trailer
Xenoblade dlc
We love katamari remaster
Return to dreamland remake final content reveal
Vouchers
Style savvy
Baiten katos or f-zero gx remaster, don’t see them doing both
Something about octopath 2
Monster hunter rise update
2 or 3 new 3rd party ports
New fire emblem dlc
Maybe pikmin 4 but I’m ifffy on that.
Square Enix assembly line jrpg’s

and mayyyyyyyybe the donkey kong game, thoguh who knows we’ll see.

i don’t think we see Metroid until the middle of the year.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
in terms of sega all we need is tails. maybe eggman
My most wanted is probably Knuckles. He was always my favorite Sonic character. I’d love another Persona character like Mitsuru, Kanji, or Makoto since they were my favorites in each game but they’re all side characters and not particularly likely. Vectorman is another cool idea I’ve seen brought up a few times.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I was always a Nintendo kid growing up. Despite playing games since the 80’s, I know surprisingly few Sega games. The only Sega console I owned was a Dreamcast after it was really cheap and had already died.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
wait you’re older than me?
Yeah, I’m 38. My user name ends in my birth year. The first game I owned was the three in one pack of Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, and Track for the NES but I have a few memories of playing my neighbor’s Atari before that. That’s probably why so many of my most wanted characters started on the NES or SNES.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
wow. now I’m wondering why I’ve been getting zoomer vibes off you this whole time
That is weird. I don’t think many zoomers would be advocating for the Battletoads or Bill Rizer for Smash. I’d have thought so many of my most wanted characters coming from older generations would have given it away if my user name and profile didn’t already.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That is weird. I don’t think many zoomers would be advocating for the Battletoads or Bill Rizer for Smash. I’d have thought so many of my most wanted characters coming from older generations would have given it away if my user name and profile didn’t already.
i know plenty of people who love things from before they were born

Gengar84

Smash Hero
i know plenty of people who love things from before they were born
That’s fair. My brother’s a huge Star Wars and Alien fan and those all started before we were born. Maybe I’m still a kid at heart and never truly grew up. I’m still buying TMNT action figures so I probably haven’t changed much at all since I’ve aged lol.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
That’s fair. My brother’s a huge Star Wars and Alien fan and those all started before we were born. Maybe I’m still a kid at heart and never truly grew up. I’m still buying TMNT action figures so I probably haven’t changed much at all since I’ve aged lol.
Nobody REALLY ages, if you ask me. We still love the things we love no matter how much time passes.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well if may quote a great bit of telly from before I was born “what’s the point in being a grown up if you can’t be childish”

Gengar84

Smash Hero
well if may quote a great bit of telly from before I was born “what’s the point in being a grown up if you can’t be childish”
The funniest thing is that even people that see me in real life think I’m way younger than I actually am. I’ve had a few people that thought I was 24 or 25 recently.

Back to somewhat on topic, has anyone played Ruined King on Switch? It’s an RPG based on the League of Legends universe. It feels like a hybrid between a Diablo game and a classic turn based JRPG. I didn’t really know much of anything about LoL before Arcane because I’m no good at competitive online games like MOBAs but the show was so good I figured I’d try out the RPG. It’s actually pretty fun with a lot of cool character designs. The combat system is really creative and fun for a turn based game. It reminds me a bit of Grandia’s combat if it were strictly turn based and not an ATB. I’ve been playing it a good amount since beating Xenoblade 3 (though I still have a ton of side quests left to do in that game).

It’s helping me learn a lot more about several characters in the franchise I knew nothing about previously. I remember Yasuo being brought up a few times as a possible Smash contender and he’s a fun character. Ahri is also in the game but I haven’t reached the point where she’s playable yet. I actually like every character and their designs I’ve come across so far. Pyke is particularly cool looking. Every character so far seems like they’d be a great fit for Smash Bros. (although Yasuo might get frustrating to play against since his gimmick is based on critical hits and we all know how that was received on Hero).

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
What about reps from non-Japanese Asian games?
The only ones that pop from my mind are Travelers from Genshin and Striker from Dungeon and Fighter.
People talk about how Nintendo wants to extend its reach to Chinese market. While Genshin is absolutely gigantic, D&F shouldn't be underestimated.
I choose Striker because she is one of the main characters chosen for DNF Duel. While she may overlap with Chun-Li as female martial artist, I think Slayer class overlaps way more with Sol Badguy in term of aesthetic and playstyle.

Top Bottom