• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I always thought it would be fun to at least get some content from the original Super Smash game in Smash Bros. I used to have a lot of fun renting this game on the SNES as a kid. I’m not sure who currently owns the rights since their developers are no longer around.

1674755601164.jpeg

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I always thought it would be fun to at least get some content from the original Super Smash game in Smash Bros. I used to have a lot of fun renting this game on the SNES as a kid. I’m not sure who currently owns the rights since their developers are no longer around.

View attachment 367149
Maybe try searching company records on the country it was incorporated? Apparently that's an easy way to find something like that.

(Imagine if Nintendo bought the rights to try and stop others from using the term "Super Smash" in their titles...)

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion

View attachment 367149
Smash TV is owned by Warner Bros.
At least i can see a mii costume as part of scorpion's pack

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Folks are focusing on Midna and Skull Kid, and fairly so. Meanwhile, I'm just wishing Ghirahim got into Smash 4 lol.
For the record, I think Ghirahim and Impa are on the same level, just below Midna and Skull Kid. Both of them are super iconic in their own right.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
For the record, I think Ghirahim and Impa are on the same level, just below Midna and Skull Kid. Both of them are super iconic in their own right.
Yeah, it makes sense that Skull Kid and Midna would be front runners since they both have assist trophies along with Girahim. I might put Skull Kid ahead of the others since he also has a Mii costume. I think if a character has both an assist trophy and a Mii costume, that probably speaks well for their chances in the next game. Still, nothing is guaranteed.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I understand people's frustration with Zelda not getting any characters beyond the Triforce trio, but considering how the one-shots just fall off in prominence outside their home games, doesn't it also make sense that Zelda is treated as a "fixed cast" franchise like Mario and Kirby? Hell, Kirby fans are claiming that Kirby just needs Bandana Waddle Dee and no one else since the main quartet would be fully represented at that point.

Pokémon, Fire Emblem, and even Xenoblade (relatively young franchise it is) do a good job of keeping "the old stuff" in prominence whether in story or marketing. Zelda does no such thing with its one-shots.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I understand people's frustration with Zelda not getting any characters beyond the Triforce trio, but considering how the one-shots just fall off in prominence outside their home games, doesn't it also make sense that Zelda is treated as a "fixed cast" franchise like Mario and Kirby? Hell, Kirby fans are claiming that Kirby just needs Bandana Waddle Dee and no one else since the main quartet would be fully represented at that point.

Pokémon, Fire Emblem, and even Xenoblade (relatively young franchise it is) do a good job of keeping "the old stuff" in prominence whether in story or marketing. Zelda does no such thing with its one-shots.
I personally think there’s nothing wrong with including one-off characters in Smash. I feel like it’s even an inevitability once we run out of recurring first party characters. A lot of one-offs are still really popular and have a ton of potential for Smash that it seems like a waste to dismiss them just for that. The fact that people are still talking about Skull Kid and Midna after all these years shows that they have remained popular despite their one-off status. Smash isn’t really canon anyway so why does that even have to be a limitation?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
CD-i Zelda. Specifically, Faces of Evil. That said, Morshu does have quite a bit of popularity that he's the only notable CD-i character where people have genuinely asked for him to come back as a Zelda NPC character compared to the other CD-i characters.
And then there's me, the guy who doesn't mind Lady Alma:

Just give her a couple of tweaks, and she wouldn't look too out of place in a mainline game.

(Why am I always the weird one with these sorts of things?)

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
I personally think there’s nothing wrong with including one-off characters in Smash. I feel like it’s even an inevitability once we run out of recurring first party characters. A lot of one-offs are still really popular and have a ton of potential for Smash that it seems like a waste to dismiss them just for that. The fact that people are still talking about Skull Kid and Midna after all these years shows that they have remained popular despite their one-off status. Smash isn’t really canon anyway so why does that even have to be a limitation?
What do you mean by having a ton of potential for Smash? Because if you're talking about moveset potential, a character like Skull Kid has barely anything that you can pull from to fill out a full moveset.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What do you mean by having a ton of potential for Smash? Because if you're talking about moveset potential, a character like Skull Kid has barely anything that you can pull from to fill out a full moveset.
Have you ever played Hyrule Warriors? Skull Kid has a full moveset in that game. Smash could easily take inspiration from his appearance in that game for Smash. I also was talking about one-offs in general with that statement and not specifically Skull Kid.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
There's nothing wrong with having one-shot characters... if the character in question is from a one-shot IP or a rotating cast IP.

Nothing's stopping Sora Ltd. from putting one-shot characters in Smash as a surprise, but you gotta understand: with video game development in general moving towards reusing pre-made assets when possible because of HD and 4k, Ultimate itself made with that philosophy with Smash 4 assets, Smash will likely move towards having as many characters as possible from the previous installment (but likely not all) thanks to asset recycling.

Including one-shots from Zelda (and Mario and Kirby for that matter) will just look weird going forward. Yeah, Sheik exists, but she's now seen as an artifact of looser early-series selection conventions. I can't see that being repeated this late in the series.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Have you ever played Hyrule Warriors? Skull Kid has a full moveset in that game. Smash could easily take inspiration from his appearance in that game for Smash. I also was talking about one-offs in general with that statement and not specifically Skull Kid.
not to mention borrowing attacks from the bosses he created

Gengar84

Smash Hero
There's nothing wrong with having one-shot characters... if the character in question is from a one-shot IP or a rotating cast IP.

Nothing's stopping Sora Ltd. from putting one-shot characters in Smash as a surprise, but you gotta understand: with video game development in general moving towards reusing pre-made assets when possible because of HD and 4k, Ultimate itself made with that philosophy with Smash 4 assets, Smash will likely move towards having as many characters as possible from the previous installment (but likely not all) thanks to asset recycling.

Including one-shots from Zelda (and Mario and Kirby for that matter) will just look weird going forward. Yeah, Sheik exists, but she's now seen as an artifact of looser early-series selection conventions. I can't see that being repeated this late in the series.
I get where you’re coming from but I have to fundamentally disagree. By cutting off one-off characters, you’re severely limiting your potential options for no real gain. In that scenario, we will never get any other Zelda character after Impa. Eventually, every series is going to run out of recurring characters that would be eligible for Smash and we would only have newcomers from rotating casts. I’m not sure why rotating casts even would be an exception in that case. Is Robin being in Smash 6 going to encourage more people to buy the next Fire Emblem than Skull Kid would for the next Zelda? In both cases, they still bring attention to the series even if the specific character doesn’t return.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I wonder if this would lead to Kung Fu being on there eventually.
1674767479158.png

I used to own that game as a kid but had nearly completely forgotten about it. Dragon Power and Adventure Island were two other games I owned as a kid but don’t think about much these days.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I get where you’re coming from but I have to fundamentally disagree. By cutting off one-off characters, you’re severely limiting your potential options for no real gain. In that scenario, we will never get any other Zelda character after Impa. Eventually, every series is going to run out of recurring characters that would be eligible for Smash and we would only have newcomers from rotating casts.
It's a limitation for the existing "fixed cast" franchises for sure, but the "gain" in question is using those resources for other applications, whether that be making innovations to the gameplay or looking elsewhere for more characters first party or third party both.

IMO, there is tangible gain by refraining from giving the "fixed cast" franchises more than their main and recurring casts, since all of them have largely stopped growing their main casts. It's like how Mickey Mouse has had a stable main cast of Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Daisy, Pluto, and Pete for decades now.

I’m not sure why rotating casts even would be an exception in that case. Is Robin being in Smash 6 going to encourage more people to buy the next Fire Emblem than Skull Kid would for the next Zelda? In both cases, they still bring attention to the series even if the specific character doesn’t return.
Like I said:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's a limitation for the existing "fixed cast" franchises for sure, but the "gain" in question is using those resources for other applications, whether that be making innovations to the gameplay or looking elsewhere for more characters first party or third party both.

IMO, there is tangible gain by refraining from giving the "fixed cast" franchises more than their main and recurring casts, since all of them have largely stopped growing their main casts. It's like how Mickey Mouse has had a stable main cast of Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Daisy, Pluto, and Pete for decades now.

Like I said:
There are always side games like Hyrule Warriors to keep those older characters relevant. Even Smash itself does a great job with this. Many veterans in Smash have retained popularity through these games even though they haven’t had an appearance in a mainline game in years.

Anyway, this is just my opinion and I’m always in favor of more options rather than less. Smash would get kind of predictable and boring to me fast if we just get the main protagonist from a game with a rotating cast for nearly every newcomer.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Blinx can control time with the TS-1000 Vacuum Cleaner, I wonder how they would put his moves in the Super Smash Bros. series.

Quillion

Smash Hero
There are always side games like Hyrule Warriors to keep those older characters relevant. Even Smash itself does a great job with this. Many veterans in Smash have retained popularity through these games even though they haven’t had an appearance in a mainline game in years.

Anyway, this is just my opinion and I’m always in favor of more options rather than less. Smash would get kind of predictable and boring to me fast if we just get the main protagonist from a game with a rotating cast for nearly every newcomer.
I think if Zelda had a lot more intra-series crossover spin-offs than just... one, then the one-shots could have more of a chance. One is still a far cry from Fire Emblem having a healthy mobile crossover game plus a recent mainline game centered around summoning spirits of old heroes or Xenoblade having crossover DLC content from XC1 and XCX in XC2, with XC3 poised to have the same.

I'm still hoping for a Zelda-skinned Fire Emblem-style SRPG or a Soulcalibur-esque Zelda fighting game.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think if Zelda had a lot more intra-series crossover spin-offs than just... one, then the one-shots could have more of a chance. One is still a far cry from Fire Emblem having a healthy mobile crossover game plus a recent mainline game centered around summoning spirits of old heroes or Xenoblade having crossover DLC content from XC1 and XCX in XC2, with XC3 poised to have the same.

I'm still hoping for a Zelda-skinned Fire Emblem-style SRPG or a Soulcalibur-esque Zelda fighting game.
Breath of the Wild actually had a bunch of crossover content with the different clothing options. You could even have Wolf Link from Twilight Princess as a companion.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
LoZ having a Crisis on Infinite Earths style event where the different Links from the various periods and timelines have to work together to save the multiverse would be a hell of a game if they ever made it.
It would, but then you remember that none of them (or at least none of the ones that would actually be added) speak. It wouldn't have much interaction

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
LoZ having a Crisis on Infinite Earths style event where the different Links from the various periods and timelines have to work together to save the multiverse would be a hell of a game if they ever made it.
Link in the Multiverse of Madness!

So actually are there any Smash roster members that only appear in one single source game? I'm struggling to think of any, but if not then maybe being a "one-off" is a soft de-confirm for Smash inclusion which admittedly sucks but as they say you can't squeeze blood from a turnip. Or something...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It would, but then you remember that none of them (or at least none of the ones that would actually be added) speak. It wouldn't have much interaction
I suppose if there were various Zeldas and/or allies of the Links involved that could compensate somewhat. Communication between Groose, Midna, Tetra, Navi, Young Impa, & Sahasrahla could go a long way.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Having Link and Zelda have reincarnations and/or descendants that look closely alike isn't lazy, yet having the Lon Lon family, Anju, Dampe, and others have identical descendants throughout time is?
I see a difference indeed between "the Hero, the Princess, and the Devil, infused with the power of the godesses, seem to be stuck in an eternal battle of good vs evil and doomed to be reborn over and over again" and "everybody comes back all the time because why not". But I am very wise.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I see a difference indeed between "the Hero, the Princess, and the Devil, infused with the power of the godesses, seem to be stuck in an eternal battle of good vs evil and doomed to be reborn over and over again" and "everybody comes back all the time because why not". But I am very wise.
I say Tingle and Beedle are okay, because they're funny. :4roy:

The rest really don't need to happen.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Maybe I’m crazy (I probably am) but I think the fact that we’re finally seeing RARE games come back to Nintendo consoles can only help their chances of getting another character in Smash down the line. Hopefully GoldenEye is a big success and brings more attention to their legacy. I just wish it were available for a stand-alone purchase because I don’t really play online games often enough for it to be worth it. I do wonder if having both GoldenEye and Banjo-Kazooie on the online service kills the chances of finally seeing RARE Replay on the Switch or their next console.
I really doubt we would get Rare replay on Switch but I'm sure more N64 Rare games will eventually comes to Switch online such as Banjo Tooie and Perfect dark.

Link in the Multiverse of Madness!

So actually are there any Smash roster members that only appear in one single source game? I'm struggling to think of any, but if not then maybe being a "one-off" is a soft de-confirm for Smash inclusion which admittedly sucks but as they say you can't squeeze blood from a turnip. Or something...
There is, but none of them are vilains or side characters like Skull kid, Midna and Girahim. For example, Ice climber and Duck hunt have only one appearance (not counting cameo in other game or crossover like Wario Ware or Tetris DS), but that's because their respective franchise have only 1 game (not counting re-release obviously). Ness and Lucas both appear in only one of the Mother Games. MinMin also appear in only one game because Arms also have one game.

If you don't count spin off, Chrom and Robin appear only in one game because they're not in Engage (although they're both are in the Warriors spin off and in Heroes). Joker also appear in only one game not counting spin off and not counting Royal as a second game (he does appear in Persona dancing and Strikers). Not counting spin off Sheik would also have only one appearance being in Ocarina of time.

Top Bottom