• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
There,i edited my post,because i know i could add a lot of different newcomers that could be in Smash 6
That is good, but you might want to edit the second post after that (which was in response to someone else) and say something like "Double post, delete please" so that the mods don't get the wrong idea, and edit what you said in that post into the one before it.

D

Deleted member

That is good, but you might want to edit the second post after that (which was in response to someone else) and say something like "Double post, delete please" so that the mods don't get the wrong idea, and edit what you said in that post into the one before it.
Alright,i fixed my mistakes from my posts by editing them.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Alright,i fixed my mistakes from my posts by editing them.
Ummm...

You were supposed to edit it into something like "Double post, please delete".

D

Deleted member

Ummm...

You were supposed to edit it into something like "Double post, please delete".
There,i fixed my mistake that i forgot.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There,i fixed my mistake that i forgot.
It’s easier to just report your own post. Report button is bottom left, just fill the description like you would mention for a double post. Mods aren’t gonna hit you for breaking rules, they’ll just sweep it up for you. It’s also faster for…

Wait, who’s the mod for this thread now? Is it you, Sucumbio Sucumbio :217:

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
It’s easier to just report your own post. Report button is bottom left, just fill the description like you would mention for a double post. Mods aren’t gonna hit you for breaking rules, they’ll just sweep it up for you. It’s also faster for…

Wait, who’s the mod for this thread now? Is it you, Sucumbio Sucumbio :217:
No Megadoomer Megadoomer

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
COUGHBecause of TourCOUGH

Ahem

Sorry, had something caught in my throat:nifty:
The Booster Course Pass still required additional labour that Nintendo had to foot the costs of, though. It wasn't just "copy the assets from Tour into 8 Deluxe and it just works". Collision had to be added to the courses, assets had to be remodeled, zero-gravity sections had to be added, and a bunch of other, minor elements had to be addressed to make it work. There's no free lunch and the Booster Course Pass was no exception.

At the end of the day, the Booster Course Pass exists because Nintendo was willing to invest the resources into making it exist. Mario Kart 8 is the best-selling entry in the Mario franchise, which is itself the best-selling video game franchise of all time. The vast majority of those sales come from 8 Deluxe, which is itself the best-selling Wii U game of all time. That alone is enough for basically any company to, at the very least, heavily consider going back to this game and giving it additional DLC. Tour offsetting some of the cost probably made the decision that much easier (and resulted in the Booster Course Pass being substantially larger than base 8's DLC), but ignoring 8 Deluxe's massive success is really simplifying the surrounding circumstances that motivated Nintendo here. If repurposing mobile game content into Switch DLC was solely Nintendo's goal with the Booster Course Pass' sole goal, why didn't New Horizons receive repurposed Pocket Camp assets?

It's also a little weird to assume Nintendo is so stingy they wouldn't give Sakurai the money to make more DLC from stratch... but they're willing to invest magnitudes of more capital into letting Sakurai make a new entry? "Sorry, Masahiro, we can't give you that 10 billion Yen budget to make 5 more DLC fighters. Here's 100 billion Yen to make 8 new fighters and recreate half of the assets in Ultimate for a new entry instead. Have fun remaking Mario's moveset for the seventh time in 25 years".

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
That is good to know.

Not that I am in a hurry to see Smash Bros. come out with a new game, but to everyone here, how close do you all think we are to a new Smash Bros. game? I am personally thinking by the end of this year or in the next year.
2026 seems the most plausible as they take about 2 years to develop so 2025 would be kinda early I think plus system won't be out until end of this year and they tend to have a few games out for awhile before smash hits. Though 2027 is also plausible depending on how much work they're doing or if they start later than sooner.

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
That is good to know.

Not that I am in a hurry to see Smash Bros. come out with a new game, but to everyone here, how close do you all think we are to a new Smash Bros. game? I am personally thinking by the end of this year or in the next year.

I don't even know man... the spirit events suggest that something involving smash will be announced in the coming months, but the other "evidence" towards this suggests that things aren't that far along at all. I think if they're doing a true smash successor it'd drop in late 2026 at best, but again these spirit events feel like a teaser of sorts, and my hopium predicts that might give us some info of the next smash in whatever presentation they do to unveil the Switch 2... but if that happens then it'd most likely release in the second year of the console at the latest, which would lead us to the "it'd be a port/remaster" line of thinking again, and we all know that's more wishful thinking...

So I guess this a roundabout way of saying I don't seriously expect anything releasing for a few years, current evidence and teases still in mind despite that.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't even know man... the spirit events suggest that something involving smash will be announced in the coming months, but the other "evidence" towards this suggests that things aren't that far along at all. I think if they're doing a true smash successor it'd drop in late 2026 at best, but again these spirit events feel like a teaser of sorts, and my hopium predicts that might give us some info of the next smash in whatever presentation they do to unveil the Switch 2... but if that happens then it'd most likely release in the second year of the console at the latest, which would lead us to the "it'd be a port/remaster" line of thinking again, and we all know that's more wishful thinking...

So I guess this a roundabout way of saying I don't seriously expect anything releasing for a few years, current evidence and teases still in mind despite that.
Not saying we could get a game sooner than that, but we got Smash Bros. Ultimate over a year after the Switch, the system it was on, was released. I think they might be a bit further into it than we may believe.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
I really hate people using the Booster Course Pass as an excuse at how Ultimate is getting more substantial content.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was never advertised as being "done" with its content whereas several times Ultimate was said to be finished after Vol. 2 and Sora's presentation was the final Mr. Sakurai Presents, Sora was the final character, and just as earlier as when his amiibo was revealed, the amiibo was stated to mean "Everyone Is Here" in the context of amiibo.

There's been nothing but finality since years ago and honestly? All these theories scream desperation just like when people kept thinking Smash 4 could get "more" after Bayonetta just because they couldn't let go of the fact Wolf didn't make it nor who they wanted from the Ballot.
It's a miracle we're even getting these new Spirit Events, so people need to stop looking the gift horse in the mouth.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I really hate people using the Booster Course Pass as an excuse at how Ultimate is getting more substantial content.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was never advertised as being "done" with its content whereas several times Ultimate was said to be finished after Vol. 2 and Sora's presentation was the final Mr. Sakurai Presents, Sora was the final character, and just as earlier as when his amiibo was revealed, the amiibo was stated to mean "Everyone Is Here" in the context of amiibo.

There's been nothing but finality since years ago and honestly? All these theories scream desperation just like when people kept thinking Smash 4 could get "more" after Bayonetta just because they couldn't let go of the fact Wolf didn't make it nor who they wanted from the Ballot.
It's a miracle we're even getting these new Spirit Events, so people need to stop looking the gift horse in the mouth.
I mean, I never said I expected a third Fighters' Pass, but yeah...

What's the point of Sora being the final character, DLC wise and overall in Ultimate if there is to be more after that?

Noipoi

Howdy!
The Booster Course Pass still required additional labour that Nintendo had to foot the costs in, though. It wasn't just "copy the assets from Tour into 8 Deluxe and it just works". Collision had to be added to the courses, assets had to be remodeled, zero-gravity sections had to be added, and a bunch of other, minor elements had to be addressed to make it work. There's no free lunch and the Booster Course Pass was no exception.
Well obviously :nifty:

At the end of the day, the Booster Course Pass exists because Nintendo was willing to invest the resources into making it exist. Mario Kart 8 is the best-selling entry in the Mario franchise, which is itself the best-selling video game franchise of all time. The vast majority of those sales come from 8 Deluxe, which is itself the best-selling Wii U game of all time. That alone is enough for basically any company to, at the very least, heavily consider going back to this game and giving it additional DLC. Tour offsetting some of the cost probably made the decision that much easier (and resulted in the Booster Course Pass being substantially larger than base 8's DLC), but ignoring 8 Deluxe's massive success is really simplifying the surrounding circumstances that motivated Nintendo here. If repurposing mobile game content into Switch DLC was solely Nintendo's goal with the Booster Course Pass' sole goal, why didn't New Horizons receive repurposed Pocket Camp assets?
Well I imagine the decision went something like, “Yo, 8 Deluxe is doing so good it just doesn’t make sense to make a new one for the Switch. Let’s just save 9 for the next console. But while we’re at it, Tour gave us a whole lotta assets to use and it’d be relatively easy to port them into 8. It’s free money!”

And then they probably laughed while swimming in dollar bills or whatever it is executives do.

It's also a little weird to assume Nintendo is so stingy they wouldn't give Sakurai the money to make more DLC from stratch... but they're willing to invest magnitudes of more capital into letting Sakurai make a new entry? "Sorry, Masahiro, we can't give you that 10 billion Yen budget to make 5 more DLC fighters. Here's 100 billion Yen to make 8 new fighters and recreate half of the assets in Ultimate for a new entry instead. Have fun remaking Mario's moveset for the seventh time in 25 years".
Yeah but like, what’s the point?

The Switch is donion rings, bro. If not this year than certainly next year. It just makes more sense to start work on the next Smash instead of spending time and resources on a third Fighters Pass.

That is good to know.

Next year or 2026. Quote me on this :239:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I mean, I never said I expected a third Fighters' Pass, but yeah...

What's the point of Sora being the final character, DLC wise and overall in Ultimate if there is to be more after that?
To be fair, MK8D probably wasn't meant to be any more than what it launched with either. Otherwise the BCP would've probably started development sooner.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'll believe that Smash can have the same late DLC excuse as Mario Kart when Smash gets a mobile game adaptation with a bunch of content that isn't in Ultimate, which later will begin its End of Service sunsetting phase, and then that content gets put into Ultimate retroactively.

Because that's what the Booster Course Pass was. Mobile ports. Like, almost entirely.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Actually, since this keeps getting brought up.

What do you guys think a mobile Smash would look like? Could it even work?
Well...uh...mobile fighters have pretty small movesets for their characters, so if one were to exist and have its fighters ported to Smash, they better hope there's enough attack animations from other fighters they can repurpose.
The difference in dev teams behind Mario Kart and Smash is significant too because EAD/EPD are always assembled so to speak whereas the Smash team went defunct after the last balance patch. I think the amiibo and spirit events are not developed by the whole Smash team or even any of them.
Something I pointed out earlier in this thread is that there's different people who worked on the BCP vs. vanilla MK8:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Clearly we need a Smash gacha on mobile so they can make a new DLC pass for preservation :4pacman:

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Gardevoir is another Pokeball mon I'd like to see upgraded. It has arguably the strongest and most consistent combination of popularity and marketing among Hoenn mons. The only others you could really argue may be Rayquaza, who is probably not considered feasible (but I'd love to see back as a boss), and the starters.
Gardevoir would probably end up a strong but slow, ranged powerhouse. Not nearly as floaty and not as mobile as Mewtwo, but attempting to make up for the lack of mobility through hard-hitting psychic attacks.

To further differentiate it from other fighters, I think some possibilities might be (1) to make its projectiles slower-moving but with wider areas of effect, (2) to make it a rarer slow-but-not-so-heavy fighter, and/or (3) give it good options for reflecting or otherwise dealing with projectile spammers, especially for a slower fighter. Any of these could make it an interesting fighter to balance around.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Gardevoir would probably end up a strong but slow, ranged powerhouse. Not nearly as floaty and not as mobile as Mewtwo, but attempting to make up for the lack of mobility through hard-hitting psychic attacks.
I can understand Gardevoir being slower than Mewtwo because in-game Pokemon, Gardevoir is slower than Mewtwo, but it'd be some shenanigans if Gardevoir was not more floaty than Mewtwo when Mewtwo is 2.5 times Gardevoir's weight. It's bizarre enough that Mewtwo is supposed to be heavy, but is floaty in Smash, but I'd call hacks if Gardevoir was somehow less floaty than Mewtwo.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Sakurai is on record as stating that base Smash for Wii U is the theoretical limits of what can be in a Smash game, Mewtwo would be Smash Bros' only DLC character, Smash for Wii U and 3DS would be his final games in the series, Brawl would be his final game in the series, and Melee would be his final game in the series. He's a man with a lot of foresight, but he's not precognisant. Sakurai makes a lot of statements about Smash that he believes to be true at the point of time he is situated in that later turn out to be false.

In October of 2021, Sora was definitively the final DLC fighter for Ultimate because there were no long-term plans for the entire Smash Bros series, period. Sakurai was very clear that he had no clue what was coming next, he had no ideas as to where to theoretically go after Ultimate, and he had to work with Nintendo as to where to go next. Everyone seems to be unanimous that there's something new related to Smash in the future, we just don't know what. It could be:
  • A reboot that substantially reworks previous content at the cost of having far less content relative to Ultimate
  • A conventional sequel that reuses a significant portion of Ultimate's content but adds a dozen or so new fighters and stages while cutting approximately 25% of Ultimate's roster and about half of its stages couple
  • Further DLC for Ultimate (assuming the Switch 2 is backward compatible)
  • Ultimate Deluxe (assuming Nintendo somehow threaded the needle of reworking Ultimate's copyright)
  • A more substantial crossover between Nintendo and one of the companies they have partnered with previously for Smash (like Nintendo vs. Capcom)
  • A more substantial crossover between Nintendo and a non-gaming company to explore characters and ideas that couldn't be in the mainline Smash series (like Nintendo vs. Disney)
  • Some other idea that no one in the thread could have saw coming
Be honest, had someone come in here last October and said "Ultimate will be getting new spirits throughout the beginning of 2024", this entire website would have thought they were an insane person who smoked enough copium to kill a small animal. People would have roasted the **** out of this poor Cassandra. I definitely would have been skeptical. However, here we are.

We are in total parts unknown as Smash as a franchise is concerned. It's an open secret that a lot of the Smash fanbase, especially people who keep up with the series in a more casual fashion like Maximillian Dood, don't see any way forward but down. No option is really off the table as far as keeping the gravy train going. Is it really that crazy to believe that Sakurai and Nintendo got together, discussed their options, and concluded that using the Switch 2's compatibility to continue to build off Ultimate's insane 30+ million install base was the best course of action? GTA V received support for 10 years across three generations of consoles. Minecraft has continued to receive updates since 2011. I could easily see a sequel to Ultimate being in development, but I can just as easily see a surprise announcement like "Waluigi will join Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a new fighter" being sprung on us at this year's February Direct.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Something I pointed out earlier in this thread is that there's different people who worked on the BCP vs. vanilla MK8:

That's a good catch. Hypothetically, if they did later content for Ultimate the credits could include different people since getting the original devs back may not be possible. Honestly though, I think the studios themselves being different is what makes Mario Kart and say Animal Crossing, different from Smash in terms of post release development. EAD projects, done by actual Nintendo employees clearly have in-house similarities in this regard that Bamco/Sakurai and Co have yet to demonstrate, especially considering their status as 3rd party contractors vs employees.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I can understand Gardevoir being slower than Mewtwo because in-game Pokemon, Gardevoir is slower than Mewtwo, but it'd be some shenanigans if Gardevoir was not more floaty than Mewtwo when Mewtwo is 2.5 times Gardevoir's weight. It's bizarre enough that Mewtwo is supposed to be heavy, but is floaty in Smash, but I'd call hacks if Gardevoir was somehow less floaty than Mewtwo.
I wouldn't overthink Pokémon weight, at this point I'm pretty sure Game freak just generate random numbers for Pokémon weight and size.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I think Mewtwo was probably made floaty in Smash to simulate his powers of levitation, regardless of his listed weight.

When I picture Gardevoir fighting, I don't really think of its jumps as feeling very floaty, maybe a little, but Gardevoir wouldn't likely be very heavy, and you could give it low falling speed as its "gown" slows its descent, kind of like the Mario princesses.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Never forget that the one notable time they made a Pokémon roughly match the height and weight of the actual animal it's based on, Mudsdale ended up becoming one of the top ten heaviest Pokémon.

Weight specifically is something they're VERY bad at lmao. Mudsdale is roughly the correct weight, but SO MANY Pokémon are far below what they realistically should weigh...unless they're birds, in which case the weights are impossibly high most of the time.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
COUGHBecause of TourCOUGH
And the BCP made so much goddamn money that maybe Nintendo decided that FP3 would be worth it, even without a mobile game to lift from.

As much of a success the game was, you can't say the same for Ultimate.
...yes you can. Ultimate is, like, the next most popular Switch game after MK8.

It's not evidence that Ultimate is getting more substantial content.

It's evidence that Ultimate COULD get more substantial content.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was never advertised as being "done" with its content
Lol. 5 years of no content does that FOR you.

To be fair, MK8D probably wasn't meant to be any more than what it launched with either. Otherwise the BCP would've probably started development sooner.
Exactly. MK8D was not PLANNED to have more DLC when it launched. Just like Ultimate wasn't PLANNED to have more DLC after Sora.

But plans can change.

MK8D's plans changed when someone at Nintendo decided they could reuse Tour's content that way. Ultimate's plans could have changed when Nintendo saw what a massive success the BCP became.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Never forget that the one notable time they made a Pokémon roughly match the height and weight of the actual animal it's based on, Mudsdale ended up becoming one of the top ten heaviest Pokémon.

Weight specifically is something they're VERY bad at lmao. Mudsdale is roughly the correct weight, but SO MANY Pokémon are far below what they realistically should weigh...unless they're birds, in which case the weights are impossibly high most of the time.
lets not forget that the weights mean Ash had super human strength

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The problem with a lot of "heights" in the Pokedex is that they're all supposed to be body length measurements, not just the cases where it's obvious like Ekans. Granted, the anime is still inconsistent when it comes to some Pokemon's sizes.

Well that and the height comparison tool in the Pokedex seems to be only made with bipedal Pokemon in mind. Bipedal Pokemon that don't have long things sticking out of their head like Azumarill's ears.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
And the BCP made so much goddamn money that maybe Nintendo decided that FP3 would be worth it, even without a mobile game to lift from.
Years ago:
"Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 made so much goddamn money that maybe Nintendo will do a Vol. 3 regardless of what they said about Vol. 2"

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Top Bottom