• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Noipoi

Howdy!
Just asking for Pokemon Gen 10 representative. Which one seems to be the pick if GameFreak adds another?
One of the three starters?
View attachment 382982
Or Ogerpon
View attachment 382983
Well if you're asking for gen 10 reps, it'd be none of these. Because all these guys are from generation 9 :4pacman:

But uhhh I think it'd be down to Meowscarada or Ogerpon. Look at that, we might finally get that standalone grass type.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well if you're asking for gen 10 reps, it'd be none of these. Because all these guys are from generation 9 :4pacman:

But uhhh I think it'd be down to Meowscarada or Ogerpon. Look at that, we might finally get that standalone grass type.
The different is that Meowscarada is a Grass/Dark type as a speedy magician. Ogerpon is pure grass with Ivy Cudgel, but add in the other three masks can change its single type to double of either Fire/Water/Rock.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Based on how he described how he chose Incineroar, I think that he might actually go for Quaquaval.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
A Gen 9 Pokémon is near impossible unless the next Smash had its roster decided before Gen 9 came out and had been in development already.

And in that scenario, Ogrepon wouldn't even be an option.
As for who it would be, it would be whichever Pokémon appeals most to Sakurai on a concept level as a fighter. This is what happened with :4greninja: . This is what happened with :ultincineroar: . It likely is what happened with :lucario: too, though having a movie being released in theaters within the same month as Brawl's design document also played a factor.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
A Gen 9 Pokémon is near impossible unless the next Smash had its roster decided before Gen 9 came out and had been in development already.

And in that scenario, Ogrepon wouldn't even be an option.
As for who it would be, it would be whichever Pokémon appeals most to Sakurai on a concept level as a fighter. This is what happened with :4greninja: . This is what happened with :ultincineroar: . It likely is what happened with :lucario: too, though having a movie being released in theaters within the same month as Brawl's design document also played a factor.
Although when it comes to Pokémon we have no idea when Gen 10 is coming out. There's a chance that it's coming out in 2026 to mark the franchise's 30th anniversary, so if the next Smash game comes out in 2025 they might want to avoid another Roy situation and just pick a Gen 9 rep instead.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Although when it comes to Pokémon we have no idea when Gen 10 is coming out. There's a chance that it's coming out in 2026 to mark the franchise's 30th anniversary, so if the next Smash game comes out in 2025 they might want to avoid another Roy situation and just pick a Gen 9 rep instead.
No.

Actually, let me clarify what is wrong here.
For three games in a row, a spot was reserved SPECIFICALLY for a Pokémon from an upcoming Generation after the design document.
Why the **** would this be any different and go for a Generation before?

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
hoping the next pokemon rep isnt added for the sake of being a starter pokemon there are more than 1000 pokemon to choose from why is there any need for another starter when pokemon trainer already does take care of that isnt 5 enough?

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
If the next smash had its roster settled like, a month ago, then we’d most likely get a Paldea Pokemon. Gen 9’s gonna last for at least another year, maybe two.

This was in the middle of Gen 5 with Black/White 2 yet to come out.
Gen 6 wouldn't be until late 2013.

We still got :4greninja: instead of a Unova Pokémon.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Fair enough. I just wouldn’t rule out the Paldean possibility entirely. Anything’s possible.
What happened to anything being possible not being a good argument? I have been there, and learned it just doesn’t work.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Timing isn't really on Paldea's side, which sucks, because imo it's easily a generation that produced some absolutely amazing potential fighters. Just banger after banger.

The one case where I could see them maybe going for a Paldea newcomer specifically in a post-Paldea world is if they go for Gholdengo, but not because it's a Paldea Pokémon, but because it's a milestone Pokémon. It's #1000; it was literally created to commemorate the 1000 Pokémon milestone, which would still be pretty relevant even when Paldea isn't.

Is it at least half copium? Yeah. But hey, it's something.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The awkward situation with Gen 9 right now is that up to this point, the pattern has more often been skip one generation and add the next. It happened with Gen 3, it happened with Gen 5. For Gen 7, it didn't happen at all. At this point we could all agree that at least Gen 8 missed its chance, and now we're considering if Gen 9 may have missed theirs too. Worth noting this would end up glancing over the entire Switch era of Pokemon games, their big transitionary period over to home console and two of their best selling generations yet. Which would be a bit of a shame, I suppose.

Gen 9 is placed at kind of the perfect time for consideration under the standards of any other series, but this is Pokemon we're talking about and as GoldenYuiitusin GoldenYuiitusin pointed out they usually start looking ahead. But then I guess the question is, how far ahead can we look? When will Gen 10 come out, and when will Smash come out? There's a possibility that Smash and Gen 10 would overlap within roughly the same year, something a bit unprecedented as usually by the time they debut in Smash they've been around for a couple years. So I don't really know what to make of this yet, I think however we cut it the next game's Pokemon selection will have to be a little bit unorthodox.

For my current prediction I'll just lock in on a Gen 9 Pokemon tentatively then transition over when we know more about what's coming. I don't like leaving blank TBA slots even if that's what Sakurai himself does when plotting it out.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Doesn’t a new Pokémon game come out every two years now? I can see a new Smash game and a new Pokémon game announced in the same year. Still, I don’t think Generation Nine should be ruled out yet. I mean, unless Sakurai has seen Generation Ten of Pokémon, I am not sure a new fighter from Pokémon will be from there.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The awkward situation with Gen 9 right now is that up to this point, the pattern has more often been skip one generation and add the next. It happened with Gen 3, it happened with Gen 5. For the last two games, it didn't happen at all. At this point we could all agree that at least Gen 8 missed its chance, and now we're considering if Gen 9 may have missed theirs too. Worth noting this would end up glancing over the entire Switch era of Pokemon games, their big transitionary period over to home console and two of their best selling generations yet.

Gen 9 is placed at kind of the perfect time for consideration under the standards of any other series, but this is Pokemon we're talking about and as GoldenYuiitusin GoldenYuiitusin pointed out they usually start looking ahead. But then I guess the question is, how far ahead can we look? When will Gen 10 come out, and when will Smash come out? There's a possibility that Smash and Gen 10 would overlap within roughly the same year, something a bit unprecedented as usually by the time they debut in Smash they've been around for a couple years. So I don't really know what to make of this yet, I think however we cut it the next game's Pokemon selection will have to be a little bit unorthodox.

For my current prediction I'll just lock in on a Gen 9 Pokemon tentatively then transition over when we know more about what's coming. I don't like leaving blank TBA slots even if that's what Sakurai himself does when plotting it out.
Or that Gen 10 actually comes out after the next Smash game does, which would result in another Roy situation. Except in this case, Gen 10 might not even be revealed to the public by the time the next Smash game comes out.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Or that Gen 10 actually comes out after the next Smash game does, which would result in another Roy situation. Except in this case, Gen 10 might not even be revealed to the public by the time the next Smash game comes out.
Roy was a very specific case. I don't expect another case where a character debuts in Smash before their home series due to delays to happen ever again, especially not for Pokémon. TPCI is incredibly controlling of the brand. There's absolutely no way they'd let a Pokémon be a Smash fighter before appearing in the Pokémon series properly first.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So I don't really know what to make of this yet, I think however we cut it the next game's Pokemon selection will have to be a little bit unorthodox.
Won’t that be fun, though?

Since Wii U/3DS Smash fans don’t seem to like speculating about Pokemon because it feels like the intrigue has been sucked out of it.

I’m down for things getting a bit spicier :nifty:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Roy was a very specific case. I don't expect another case where a character debuts in Smash before their home series due to delays to happen ever again, especially not for Pokémon. TPCI is incredibly controlling of the brand. There's absolutely no way they'd let a Pokémon be a Smash fighter before appearing in the Pokémon series properly first.
Yeah. That's why I'm not gonna assume that the new Pokémon fighter will be from Gen 10.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Tangentially related, but remember when they used to debut a pokemon from the next generation in the anime or something?

There was Ho-Oh annd Togepi, obviously. And even Bonsly and Munchlax were in XD before they were in Diamond and Pearl.

They don’t really do stuff like that anymore :drshrug:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Tangentially related, but remember when they used to debut a pokemon from the next generation in the anime or something?

There was Ho-Oh annd Togepi, obviously. And even Bonsly and Munchlax were in XD before they were in Diamond and Pearl.

I think that they stopped doing that because of the internet. Posting trailers on the internet became a much more convenient way to show off the new Pokémon and features than the anime.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace

I want to say the last time they did this was Magearna getting a movie before Gen 7, but I don't remember if Galar got an early bird.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I want to say the last time they did this was Magearna getting a movie before Gen 7, but I don't remember if Galar got an early bird.
I'd say the closest thing recently was actually what they did with Terapagos. The normal form debuted in the anime, since up until then we had only seen its powered up form in DLX previews.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But does it count as a cross-generation promotion if it's for a same generation DLC? 🤔
DLC makes it tricky. On one hand it's the same generation. But on the other hand it was for something explicitly unavailable in the games at the time.

So it's similar in spirit but different in the specifics I guess.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I remembered that every Smash game since Brawl has had two 3rd party newcomers in the base game.

Brawl: Sonic and Snake
Sm4sh: Mega Man and PAC-MAN
Ultimate, counting Echoes: Simon, Richter and Ken

So if the next Smash game had two 3rd party newcomers in the base game, not including Echoes, who would you like to see?
Bomberman and Tetromino feels likely for a base game 3rd party
i wanted to say Rayman or Geno or Crash but i think they are more likely as DLC

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon in Smash is weird to me because sometimes the representation almost feels divorced from the games despite that not being the case. Maybe it's just because again we missed the switch pokemon games' chance to get repped in smash, but in addition we have the sheer lack of human characters in the spirit board and even on the stages from the games. Pokemon is less afraid than ever to focus on the trainers themselves as protagonist and antagonist, but instead we have to focus on the marketable characters that are literally interchangable to the plot.

I mean, we do have the trainer (Though it's kind of a smash original version of the character rather than the Red from the canon), but it does feel like after brawl things from TPCi got a bit more sterile in terms of what could be done.

add that to how Pokemon is the most blatantly "we have to add the latest gen's psuedo-mascot over anything else" thing and it means that Pokemon just kinda feels.... underwhelming, I'd say? I dunno, maybe it's just a consequence of Gen 7 being ancient and not even getting a stage. And maybe it's me knowing that pretty much any chance of not getting a Gen X rep is out of the question (unless we do get the Scream Tail echo... I don't really care about that though tbh)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Won’t that be fun, though?

Since Wii U/3DS Smash fans don’t seem to like speculating about Pokemon because it feels like the intrigue has been sucked out of it.

I’m down for things getting a bit spicier :nifty:
Ah yes, I can see it now… The fun…

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

2025 Smashboards

1705254295601.jpeg

IT’S GOING TO BE MEOWSCARADA YOU ****ING BOOMER. THE NEWEST GENERATION ALWAYS WINS!

NO ONE HAS GIVEN A FLYING **** ABOUT THE LAST TWO GENERATIONS. MEOWTH WILL CLAIM HIS RIGHTFUL SLOT!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ah yes, I can see it now… The fun…

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

2025 Smashboards

View attachment 382991

IT’S GOING TO BE MEOWSCARADA YOU ****ING BOOMER. THE NEWEST GENERATION ALWAYS WINS!

NO ONE HAS GIVEN A FLYING **** ABOUT THE LAST TWO GENERATIONS. MEOWTH WILL CLAIM HIS RIGHTFUL SLOT!
I actually hope the Pokemon newcomer is gonna be Garchomp.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
This is gonna sound insane, but if it takes long enough for the next Smash to be conceptualized, we might need to consider Gen 11 starters.

Yeah, I'm crazy enough to think even Gen X is gonna miss their timing for Smash, let alone anything from Paldea.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This is gonna sound insane, but if it takes long enough for Smash to be conceptualized, we might need to consider Gen 11 starters.

Yeah, I'm crazy enough to think even Gen X is gonna miss their timing for Smash, let alone anything from Paldea.
Yep, it does sound insane.

To everyone else, should I call the mental hospital to take this guy away? :troll:

Noipoi

Howdy!
This is gonna sound insane, but if it takes long enough for the next Smash to be conceptualized, we might need to consider Gen 11 starters.

I dunno about that, they seem to like getting Smash games out relatively early in a console’s lifespan.

But hey, Y’know

IMG_8171.jpeg

Andything can hadplen

Top Bottom