• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Stratos

Smash Ace
I just thought of something, if they decide to make a Nintendo Cinematic Universe or a Super Smash Bros Cinematic Universe, Mr. Game & Watch will logically have him come from his universe and R.O.B. will come from another universe where Professor Hector from Gyromite and Professor Vector from Stack-Up exist. But IF they plan to make a movie of Mr. Game & Watch, how will they do it, and above all will it be successful? Anyway, I was thinking something about R.O.B. with both professors, they could be in this movie to be the creators of R.O.B.. However, R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch are two of my favorite characters.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I just thought of something, if they decide to make a Nintendo Cinematic Universe or a Super Smash Bros Cinematic Universe, Mr. Game & Watch will logically have him come from his universe and R.O.B. will come from another universe where Professor Hector from Gyromite and Professor Vector from Stack-Up exist. But IF they plan to make a movie of Mr. Game & Watch, how will they do it, and above all will it be successful? Anyway, I was thinking something about R.O.B. with both professors, they could be in this movie to be the creators of R.O.B.. However, R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch are two of my favorite characters.
They won't. Some Nintendo characters simply do not have the narrative presence to carry an entire movie.
Game and Watch is a funny abstract fighting game character from a series of bare-bones toys and that's all he really needs to be.

As for ROB, well he's a cute robot and we already have quite a few examples to draw from already like Wall-E or Megaman or Astroboy or what have you.

That is, assuming they want to make a movie based off something so obscure as a retro gaming peripheral and not... Kirby or Zelda.

Stratos

Smash Ace
They won't. Some Nintendo characters simply do not have the narrative presence to carry an entire movie.
Game and Watch is a funny abstract fighting game character from a series of bare-bones toys and that's all he really needs to be.

As for ROB, well he's a cute robot and we already have quite a few examples to draw from already like Wall-E or Megaman or Astroboy or what have you.

That is, assuming they want to make a movie based off something so obscure as a retro gaming peripheral and not... Kirby or Zelda.
Everything you write is correct and I would like Kirby and The Legend of Zelda movies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's the beauty of crossover games, dpending on who's in charge of the crossover you'll be introduced to some very niche IP's which are mixed in with the mainstream ones.
Honestly, that's why the game looks interesting to me. It's got niche and obscure stuff. Stuff I haven't heard of in general.

Besides, it's quite clearly a smaller developer set and there's no way they have the clout to get a super good roster and actually be able to do more than a fangame with it. The roster isn't the best, of course(mostly cause it's too small to be a "greatest crossover ever"), but overall, it's a good start to a unique product. Honestly, I think it's good it isn't trying to mainly follow mainstream options, but I think a bit more could be nice. A mix of both is healthy and gets more franchises to be known by people(something Smash does do too). It can't sell on obscure alone either, but as noted earlier, a big issue is copyright is not easy to get. So smaller stuff is kind of important(though hopefully they can get smaller characters price-wise that are still very well known as well~).

Definitely a poor way to advertise it, though. It's too ambitious about the concept of being an awesome game, but it can certainly be a good game. We have time to see if it'll shine. This might be okay for a fangame(which doesn't have copyright issues), but not for a sellable product. Didn't honestly see any issues beyond that, though, from what I saw so far.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Everything you write is correct and I would like Kirby and The Legend of Zelda movies.
TOO BAD, DONKEY KONG FIRST!

Which is very very likely anyway considering, well, everything .

But bias and obvious stuff aside, Kirby and Zelda are great! I'd also feel Metroid and Star Fox would work greatly.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I also thought of a F-Zero movie.

TOO BAD, DONKEY KONG FIRST!

Which is very very likely anyway considering, well, everything .

But bias and obvious stuff aside, Kirby and Zelda are great! I'd also feel Metroid and Star Fox would work greatly.
Of course Donkey Kong is the next one we want to see get his own movie.

why don’t we wait and see if nintendo can get more films off the ground before we start planning a franchise
Yes, you are right.

Why would Sora use a Keyblade he's never canonically wielded instead of the canon form of his weapon
Mostly beacuse having a mickey keychain makes people think that goofy and donald arent in because of rights!
(when its clear they arent in because they arent from a game!)

Onox could be a cool boss,
Based! (But probably wont happen because the game was made by capcom so maybe nintendo wants to bury it?)

Also I think the "No Oneoffs Rule" Is a dumb fanrule i do think it makes a lot of sense to focus on Characters with consitent/ more Apearnces first Like as a Example for Zelda Impa should be next but disregarding characters like skull Kid and midna eventho they are Beloved Iconic, Well Designed, HAve Moveset Potential and were in spinoffs in major roles is Baffeling Also Thanks to that rule combined with "no Generic" (even tho Yoshi and Pokemon exist) We still dont have any Gorons in the disscusion I mean Daruk and Yunobo Would be AMAZING Inclusions (To specify the reason why Urbosa and Riju still shouldnt be in disscusion now is that 1 we have GAnondorf and 2 Gorons are the best Zelda Race Abilty and Designwise and 3 Gorons and zoras just appear more often so i think A female gerudo should be coming after a goron and a Zora)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay guys, here me out: PowerWash Simulator in Smash.

Look, even WARHAMMER is doing a collab with them, anything's possible at this point!

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
If Pokémon gets new live-action movies separated from Detective Pikachu, it would be like Sony and it's Spider-Man villains universe?
I mean, TPC is very sissy with it's owners (Nintendo, Creatures and GF) unless it's Smash or outside from the video games like the Mario Pikachu merchanside, but when an external company comes like Koei Tecmo, then it's fine. I guess this is like Pre-Acquisition FOX and the X-Men rights that prevented them to being added to the MCU, or Universal and the Hulk (they didn't do anything with his universe after the Edward Norton film). Heck, no one knows who has the film rights to Namor, yet Disney needs permission to the movie rights owners to add them.
And if Nintendo begged for the 31% stake of The Pokemon Company, it's clear that they aren't interested to be part of this never-happening universe.
To make a comparison, it's more probable that Nintendo had a deal with Microsoft to have all the original, non-Killer Instinct Rareware IPs for it's usage on films, then having any mons in this project.

Edit: This is the worst take i ever had in a millennium.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
We were talking about the Nintendo Cinematic Universe, but would it be more correct to call it Nintendo Cinematic Multiverse? I'm writing this because if each franchise is to have its own universe, then for the characters from the various Nintendo franchises to meet up there must be something wrong with the multiverse and in this way the universes merge.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We were talking about the Nintendo Cinematic Universe, but would it be more correct to call it Nintendo Cinematic Multiverse? I'm writing this because if each franchise is to have its own universe, then for the characters from the various Nintendo franchises to meet up there must be something wrong with the multiverse and in this way the universes merge.
why don’t we wait and see if nintendo can get more films off the ground before we start planning a franchise

Aaayei

Smash Cadet
I'd much rather individual Nintendo films confined to their own canons that will better suit the tones and stories of each individual franchise rather than em being all clunkily placed together in a cinematic universe.

Hate how Marvel has made people automatically gravitate to a cinematic universe of practically anything. It has it's limits, to the point where even the MCU itself is showing cracks now.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay guys, I got four discussion prompts for you.

1. If you had to design a stage based on the Mario and Luigi series, how would you do it? Why do you think there hasn't been one yet?

2. What franchises (first and third party) do you think just barely missed the boat on inclusion?

3. Are there any stages that come from games where you're pleasantly surprised they got a stage? For me, I'm really happy that Spirit Tracks got one.

4. What are some recurring (minor) bosses you want to see show up in Smash somehow? For example, I'm super happy that Petey Pirahna and Whispy Woods have significant roles. I'd love it if Kracko or could do something similar. I want Death from Castlevania to have a bigger one.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

1. If you had to design a stage based on the Mario and Luigi series, how would you do it? Why do you think there hasn't been one yet?

2. What franchises (first and third party) do you think just barely missed the boat on inclusion?

3. Are there any stages that come from games where you're pleasantly surprised they got a stage? For me, I'm really happy that Spirit Tracks got one.

4. What are some recurring (minor) bosses you want to see show up in Smash somehow? For example, I'm super happy that Petey Pirahna and Whispy Woods have significant roles. I'd love it if Kracko or could do something similar. I want Death from Castlevania to have a bigger one.
  1. Probably the Dream World from Dream Team. There hasn't been one yet cuz Sakurai's a coward
  2. 1st party? Astral Chain. 3rd party? Cash Banooca.
  3. I was pleasantly surprised to see a stage based on Gamer from Game & Wario
  4. Not necessarily a boss, but I'd love to see Red Arremer from Ghosts 'n Goblins as an Assist Trophy.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I think Project X Zone does the shared universe beautifully, even for all of its snags in terms of the franchises' continuity.
Bamco's crossover multiverse is a fun one that's for sure, flexing their money around and somehow make all these ulrelated IP's they have the rights to work together.

Probably because the world of Mario and Luigi is just the world of Mario? There's not much different.

Astral chain, totally.

Any of Eggman's robots would make for a fun boss, like the first one in green hill zone. That's something i'm surprised HASNT been aboss in smash yet.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

1. I honestly don't know.

2. Astral Chain and Shin Megami Tensei.

3. Nope. Instead, I'm more surprised about games that don't have stages (like Urban Champion).

4. I think Boom Boom would make a good Assist Trophy.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

1. Despite multiple new locations, the series just generally is "everywhere" while not having a super different design from regular Mario(whereas Paper Mario stands out more). It's clearly full of different worlds, though. As for one, something based upon the Beanbean Kingdom, as it stood out quite a bit.

2. Not sure off the top of my head, to be honest. DLC covered what I could think of. A particular character in base(like an ARMS or Xenoblade), perhaps, but that's as close as it gets. Maybe Resident Evil?

3. Not really. It's a giant crossover and at worst, a stage might not be "great", but they felt like fairly normal choices overall. A fair amount of new and old in general. It more sucks when one didn't get a stage, like one of the later Kirby games.

4. Dragon Quest has many of them, though I'd still have loved a cameo alone from Dragonlord(Spirit would be good enough for me). I'm just glad regular Pig Ganon got something instead of being solely a Final Smash(well, not that the normal Pig ever appeared outside of the OOT design. The lack of the ALTTP one in any fashion sucks). Onox could be a cool boss, or Barba/Volvagia. Pokemon already has some massive options alone that could make for more stage hazards too.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Yeah speaking of smash being a big crossover while i agree the franchises involved were picked fantasticly!
(Like the only complaint i have is maybe Terry being unknown to me personally and maybe sora shouldve had the star dream Keyblade (Is It even called that)
Its Franchises were chosen really well i wont argue on that!
Why would Sora use a Keyblade he's never canonically wielded instead of the canon form of his weapon

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Based! (But probably wont happen because the game was made by capcom so maybe nintendo wants to bury it?)
A bunch of them do appear as Spirits(Din, Nayru, Ricky, Moosh, and Dimitri), so it's hardly impossible.

But yeah, the game isn't acknowledged much in Smash for whatever reason.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Mostly beacuse having a mickey keychain makes people think that goofy and donald arent in because of rights!
First of all, that's not clear at all and I don't know where you got it from-

and second of all, I do think it absolutely is because of rights.
They are allowed precisely one Mickey Mouse symbol and that is explicitly for Sora's Keyblade. Any and all other Disney iconography has been scrubbed from the game including not just the Donald and Goofy icons from Sora's Dive to the Heart, but also King Mickey missing from Riku's, Mickey symbols missing from Terra's, and Mickey symbols missing from Aqua's, on top of Kirby's mimic projection keyblade missing the keychain altogether.

Also the Keyblade is literally Kingdom Hearts's most iconic thing period, I do not know why anyone would ever think to replace it with anything else.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
First of all, that's not clear at all and I don't know where you got it from-

and second of all, I do think it absolutely is because of rights.
They are allowed precisely one Mickey Mouse symbol and that is explicitly for Sora's Keyblade. Any and all other Disney iconography has been scrubbed from the game including not just the Donald and Goofy icons from Sora's Dive to the Heart, but also King Mickey missing from Riku's, Mickey symbols missing from Terra's, and Mickey symbols missing from Aqua's, on top of Kirby's mimic projection keyblade missing the keychain altogether.

Also the Keyblade is literally Kingdom Hearts's most iconic thing period, I do not know why anyone would ever think to replace it with anything else.
Truie i guess its not Clear but sakurai did say he does NOT want to include Non Game Characters! (which includes Mickey, Goofy and Donald)

These Background designs were already used by square Enix so im guessing they maybe wouldve had to pay disney i guess but they didnt because Disney is nothing to do with Videogames The Kirby Thing was definitly Rights Based tho but that isnt comparable its a nintendo caharcter wielding a disney thing that is diffrent than lets say goofy and donald helping Sora

But i meant Oathkeeper which is still a Keyblade? I guess you meant the Regular/ starter Keyblade (again cut me some slack on the names i just watched a german lets play of the first two games)

So in conclusion its not completly Clear but im sure that Disney would not have an issue with their mascot being promoted in smash!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well i think i'd go with a stage based on the dream world from dream team bros with a few luigi themed features. as for why we haven't had one yet, it's simple, with the exception on smash 3ds the stages have always favoured the homes console games over the handheld ones. the exception being pokemon who've main series games have mostly been on handhelds.

probably astral chain. unless we get another i think it's in the right position to be missed out on

hmm i suppose spirit train as well, i had picture a smash stage taking place on the train but i didn't think we'd get one cause of the aforementioned focus of home console games. tomodachi life as well, i saw that as a bit of a niche title. and gamer, the fact that they were able to base a stage on it was of great amusement to me.

hmm ghoma and dodongo from zelda

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

1. Hmm never played it
2. SMT, Monster Hunter, Luigi's Mansion
3. Yes, Spirit Tracks was a nice surprise
4. Again, Death from CV is a great choice

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Hm, this should be fun:

1. Maybe something based on the dream portions from Dream Team? Not entirely sure how that'd work, but maybe a cameo from Giant Dreamy Luigi?

2. Hard to say, TBH. Maybe Tales? I guess at the end of the day, it was between that and Tekken for a new Bandai Namco series (as much as I'd prefer Klonoa...)

3. Cloud Sea of Alrest. While I would've preferred Rex be the XC2 rep, the fact we managed to get ANYTHING from that game after the dream was killed for base made me VERY happy.

4. Speaking of Xenoblade, here me out: replace Metal Face with Territorial Rotbart.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Truie i guess its not Clear but sakurai did say he does NOT want to include Non Game Characters! (which includes Mickey, Goofy and Donald)

These Background designs were already used by square Enix so im guessing they maybe wouldve had to pay disney i guess but they didnt because Disney is nothing to do with Videogames The Kirby Thing was definitly Rights Based tho but that isnt comparable its a nintendo caharcter wielding a disney thing that is diffrent than lets say goofy and donald helping Sora

But i meant Oathkeeper which is still a Keyblade? I guess you meant the Regular/ starter Keyblade (again cut me some slack on the names i just watched a german lets play of the first two games)

So in conclusion its not completly Clear but im sure that Disney would not have an issue with their mascot being promoted in smash!
The keychain on the Kingdom Key is as much a part of Sora's design as his shoes or necklace because it's HIS weapon. Canonically speaking Sora does not use Oathkeeper (a weapon themed after Kairi) or Oblivion (a weapon themed after Riku). If you want a character who has canonically used those, Roxas would make more sense to do so.

On top of that the Mickey emblem is just that - an emblem. It's not the character itself, it's a stylistic design choice that yes, is copyrighted by Disney, but because it's part of Sora's weapon, that's why they got to use it for that and that alone, whereas the emblem has been scrubbed from other KH iconography in merchandise before, but never on the Kingdom Key.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion

1. No ideas, but i have an item idea: Fat Luigi. Workks like a giant destruction ball. If using any down attack, the green one will deinflate like a balloon and turning him into a kigurumi-like item that in you wear it, you become a BoBoBo-style "fusion" that is basically a character from another franchise (example: Wario wears the Luigi suit = Boogerman)
2. Tokyo Mirage Sessions (i consider it separate from both FE and SMT)
3. Electroplanktom. WHY!?
4. King Boo (Super Mario World)

Aaayei

Smash Cadet

1. Not familiar enough with M&L to answer this

2. Ring Fit, Astral Chain and Rhythm Heaven. The former two I would've considered frontrunners for a Fighter pass 3, while the later was planned for Smash 4, so quite literally matches the qualifications for "barely missed the boat" XD.

3. Got pretty giddy for Unova Pokémon League. After gen 5 got glossed over in the character department, it was nice that it still got something substantial.

4. Hmmmm... drawing a bit of blank here... Idk XD

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
As weird as it is i thought it would have been cool to have some kind of custom Keyblade design made for him in smash, you know as a reference to how Sora gets a new Keyblade everytime he visits a new world, and since he's in the world of Smash, i just thought, you know, that it would be neat.

I would like to mention once again that i love how Sora got his wisdom and Valor forms in the game as skins, forms he only takes when having Goofy and Donalds spirits inside of him, as if to say "Their here with him even if we cant see them" Then again maybe Kingdomhearts has just brainwashed me to ovranalyze small details like that bcause that's how Kingdom hearts always is.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Disney does not, at all, need to promote Mickey, Donald, and Goofy through Smash. They, as characters, and more importantly from a business sense as symbols, outshine the entire Smash brand, and every playable character save for maybe Mario and Pikachu who'd be roughly around the same level. The brand identity and awareness that Disney holds in those characters is second to none.

If international buyout laws regarding Japanese properties weren't an issue, Disney could sooner buy the entirety of Nintendo, liquidate all of their assets, and lock all of their IP away forever while still not hurting their bottom line, than be in a position where they'd ever see something as small-potatoes as Smash Bros as a "promotion opportunity."

Putting them in Smash wouldn't be a promotion opportunity for Disney. It would be a promotion opportunity for Smash. Disney is by far the bigger fish in this comparison.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Regarding the new Super Smash Bros. game and its Adventure Mode, I can't think of a villain that is considered a bigger threat than Galeem and Dharkon. You will of course write to me that this is natural because no one knows, but in fact all I can think of is that this new enemy (in imagination at least) is something between the organic and the mechanical at the cellular level and his movements and his abilities to be something between magic and science.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Regarding the new Super Smash Bros. game and its Adventure Mode, I can't think of a villain that is considered a bigger threat than Galeem and Dharkon. You will of course write to me that this is natural because no one knows, but in fact all I can think of is that this new enemy (in imagination at least) is something between the organic and the mechanical at the cellular level and his movements and his abilities to be something between magic and science.
A giant foot to contrast with Master and Crazy Hands :4pacman:

Top Bottom