• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Its been over four months since Gen IX dropped, and I think we are starting to see the dust settle as to which Pokemon they will be pushing hard this generation.

I am pretty confident now especially after the anime and japanese popularity polls: buy Meowscarada stock asap. Game Freak is clearly pushing the magician cat this generation very hard. If we do get that new Smash in ~2025-26 (likely before Gen X, game freak tends to be gun shy about releasing new generations on a new console's launch), Meowscarada seems like the pick. It is super popular among Pokemon fans, it is clearly pushed in game with VGC, and it will be the new main character's starter pokemon (or rather Sprigatito will be). There are plenty of other sick Gen IX picks they could go with, but so long as Gen IX keeps pushing Sprigatito and Meowscarada I think the cat is the clear front runner.
Even putting popularity aside, I think Meowscarada was always a frontrunner. Remember that Greninja was chosen based on his design alone (Sakurai had only concept art and he thought a Ninja themed character would work better in Smash), and Incineroar was chosen based on his theme (he wanted to do a wrestling based character).

Assuming he still limits himself for one of the three starters, I think you can already eliminate the fire starter because of his weird design it would be harder to do a moveset compare to a bipedal. You coud make a case for the water starter, but I think that the magician themed will be more interesting.

That being said, I wouldn't called Meowscarada a lock, far from it. First, they could still go for a movie Pokémon similarly to Lucario, especially because by the time Smash 6 starts development, there's probably going to be a movie to promote. Second, considering how fast Game freak release game, I'm sure Gen 10 will be released, and I wouldn't even be shocked if Gen 11 would be released. So at this point, they could just skip Gen 9, similar to how Gen 3 and 4 was skipped.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Even putting popularity aside, I think Meowscarada was always a frontrunner. Remember that Greninja was chosen based on his design alone (Sakurai had only concept art and he thought a Ninja themed character would work better in Smash), and Incineroar was chosen based on his theme (he wanted to do a wrestling based character).

Assuming he still limits himself for one of the three starters, I think you can already eliminate the fire starter because of his weird design it would be harder to do a moveset compare to a bipedal. You coud make a case for the water starter, but I think that the magician themed will be more interesting.

That being said, I wouldn't called Meowscarada a lock, far from it. First, they could still go for a movie Pokémon similarly to Lucario, especially because by the time Smash 6 starts development, there's probably going to be a movie to promote. Second, considering how fast Game freak release game, I'm sure Gen 10 will be released, and I wouldn't even be shocked if Gen 11 would be released. So at this point, they could just skip Gen 9, similar to how Gen 3 and 4 was skipped.
We might get the next Smash game in 2024 or 2025, as there's a decent chance that the next Nintendo console is out in 2024 and new Smash games usually drop early in a console's lifespan. I'm not expecting Gen 10 to come until 2026.

Stratos

Smash Ace
With The Super Mario Bros. Movie and even featuring Donkey Kong in there and reading rumors that there will be a movie starring Donkey Kong in the future makes me want to hope that in the future they will start releasing a Mario franchise cinematic universe where he will have Mario, Luigi and their friends Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Wario and Waluigi and appear in other words in their own movies but all in the same cinematic universe.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I always liked Gengar; at one point he was never really in the conversation Smash-wise but he has really come on strong in the more recent gens. With top-10 placement on the 2020 poll (impressively, the #2 Kanto spot after Zard), his Mega/GMax forms (only one besides the Kanto starters to get both), and appearances in the spinoffs Pokken/Unite (whose rosters are clearly skewed in favor of including most of the poll-toppers), he has really been beefing up his resume lately on top of his iconic status as the original Ghost. I hope he maintains this momentum.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
While I agree that Meowscarada isn't a lock, I doubt we'd see a Gen 11 game by the time the next Smash releases. Assuming Pokemon sticks to its current schedule Gen 11 won't come out until 2028 at the earliest. The next Nintendo console is generally theorized to hit by 2025 and Smash usually releases within the first two years of the new console's lifespan. That would put the next Smash at 2027, a year before Gen 11 which would be too late for even a promotional rep to be considered.

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
I always liked Gengar; at one point he was never really in the conversation Smash-wise but he has really come on strong in the more recent gens. With top-10 placement on the 2020 poll (impressively, the #2 Kanto spot after Zard), his Mega/GMax forms (only one besides the Kanto starters to get both), and appearances in the spinoffs Pokken/Unite (whose rosters are clearly skewed in favor of including most of the poll-toppers), he has really been beefing up his resume lately on top of his iconic status as the original Ghost. I hope he maintains this momentum.
I'd take Gengar over any of Pokemon's recent offerings. The Gen 1 bias doesn't really bother me.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's Spike Chunsoft with their Fire Pro Wrestling series.

Btw, that franchise is better than every WWE games made by Yuke's (don't kill me please)
Hey, the PS1 and PS2 Smackdown games were pretty fun and I really liked Day of Reckoning on the GameCube but I haven’t tried the Fire Pro games. My favorite wrestling games of all time were the AKI WCW and WWF games (Revenge, World Tour, Wrestlemania 2000, and No Mercy). I’m hoping the AEW game holds up since it’s supposedly based on those. The WWE2K games have so many bugs that they’re nearly impossible to enjoy. The gameplay isn’t as fun for me as the AKI games either even without the bugs.

As for Smash, if we get another wrestler character, I’d love to see Bugzzy from Kirby. A character from Pro Wrestling could be fun too though.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Looking forward to this!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It’s weird that despite Xenoblade being among my favorite series ever, I have a hard time getting as hyped for another character as I do for many other series. Noah and Mio are probably my favorite of all the main protagonists for the series but my number one
most wanted Xenoblade character is Nia. A permanent Ouroboros fusion form of Noah and Mio could be really unique and exciting though. I’m not sure that Noah alone really has a unique enough moveset to really stand out and be interesting without Mio. Delzethin usually has really thoughtful and fleshed out videos so I might change my mind after seeing it.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't want the next Pokemon rep to be from Gen 1 because to me it would feel weird if Gen 1 alone had more reps than the entirety of the Legend of Zelda.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't want the next Pokemon rep to be from Gen 1 because to me it would feel weird if Gen 1 alone had more reps than the entirety of the Legend of Zelda.
Yeah, I understand that. I’d personally love to see Gengar or some of my other favorites like Electabuzz and Kabutops but I don’t blame anyone who wants to see more varied representation. I personally don’t see the Pokémon as reps of a Gen and just think of them on their own. If I like a Pokémon, I’d be happy to see it in Smash regardless of what Gen it came from.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't really have a preference for which gen Pokemon would pop up. Although I do prefer to see more non starter Pokemon in the roster.
Same here. The only exception is Blastoise because it’s my brother’s favorite Pokémon but I generally prefer non starter Pokémon.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Hey, the PS1 and PS2 Smackdown games were pretty fun and I really liked Day of Reckoning on the GameCube but I haven’t tried the Fire Pro games. My favorite wrestling games of all time were the AKI WCW and WWF games (Revenge, World Tour, Wrestlemania 2000, and No Mercy). I’m hoping the AEW game holds up since it’s supposedly based on those. The WWE2K games have so many bugs that they’re nearly impossible to enjoy. The gameplay isn’t as fun for me as the AKI games either even without the bugs.
AKI is now Syn Sophia, and they did the Def Jam games and flipping Style Savvy.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
When thinking about new characters, do people also think about what Kirby's copy form would look and be like? I always find that kind of fun to think about.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Well, one could argue that it's already the case if you don't count the clones.

Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard = 6 (or 4 if you only count Pokémon Trainer);

Link, Zelda, and Sheik = 3.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
MEOWTH SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE TO BEGIN WITH GODDAMNIT
I know right. It surprised me Meowth wasn't in despite he was a major character in Pokemon anime. Another thing that surprises me are the lack of Mythicals on the roster.
Well, one could argue that it's already the case if you don't count the clones.

Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard = 6 (or 4 if you only count Pokémon Trainer);

Link, Zelda, and Sheik = 3.
I think Zelda has 4 non clone reps since Ganondorf isn't a clone.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’d love to see Meowth, Jessie, and James make it in to represent the Pokémon anime. They’ve always been my favorite characters from the Pokémon universe and are among the most iconic and recognized video game related characters in history. It would be cool if they could bring some of the most memorable songs from the anime with them like the opening for the first generation, the Pokerap, and Team Rocket’s Rockin’.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
He definitively is.
Ganondorf started out as a clone of Captain Falcon but he seems like more of a Necrid (Soul Calibur II) now in that he borrows moves from multiple characters. He’s got Falcon’s specials and his Smash attacks are taken from Ike and Cloud. It’s kind of sad that instead of creating new moves for him to make him unique, they just took other moves from existing Smash characters. I feel like he’s the main character that could use a rework from the ground up despite being my main since Melee.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ganondorf started out as a clone of Captain Falcon but he seems like more of a Necrid (Soul Calibur II) now in that he borrows moves from multiple characters. He’s got Falcon’s specials and his Smash attacks are taken from Ike and Cloud. It’s kind of sad that instead of creating new moves for him to make him unique, they just took other moves from existing Smash characters. I feel like he’s the main character that could use a rework from the ground up despite being my main since Melee.
Alongside DK, Samus, and Sonic. The former two need more moves from their more recent games and the latter needs more moves that aren't just about curling up into a ball.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Alongside DK, Samus, and Sonic. The former two need more moves from their more recent games and the latter needs more moves that aren't just about curling up into a ball.
Lucario’s another one I never really see brought up. It doesn’t use its energy bone staff in any attacks and its running animation should be closer to the Naruto run crouching with its arms dragging behind its back. I’d also like to see Incineroar fire flames use its belt like the concept art.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Let's call it a clone from multiple DNA samples then. :p But seriously, he is still very obviously Falcon-based. It's like a house in which you do a lot of work. At its core, even whith better isolation, new tiles, and even one or two walls taken down or built somewhere else, it is still the same house. What matter is this calculation is that Ganondorf is clearly not an original character - and if you think that he is, then there are no clones at all in Smash, except for the Echoes.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Let's call it a clone from multiple DNA samples then. :p But seriously, he is still very obviously Falcon-based. It's like a house in which you do a lot of work. At its core, even whith better isolation, new tiles, and even one or two walls taken down or built somewhere else, it is still the same house. What matter is this calculation is that Ganondorf is clearly not an original character - and if you think that he is, then there are no clones at all in Smash, except for the Echoes.
The saddest thing is that Ganondorf was a lot more competitively viable when he was just a straight Falcon clone in Melee. It seems like all the changes they made since only made him worse.

Top Bottom