• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Cranky Kong is stated in the Country trilogy that he's the grandfather of the modern DK.

And if the movie is a different reality, they will retcon that fact and write the common mistake where the Country's DK is Junior.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Cranky Kong is stated in the Country trilogy that he's the grandfather of the modern DK.

And if the movie is a different reality, they will retcon that fact and write the common mistake where the Country's DK is Junior.
well the mistake arose from cranky calling DK his son in one game. but I don’t think the movie would erase such notions. then again people always think of the mewtwo from the movie rather than the games

fun fact diddy kong was originally going to be a redesigned dk jr

Quillion

Smash Hero
Seriously, why is TPC not concertedly marketing a non-starter, non-cover legendary Pokémon anymore? We don't get any Lucarios or Zoroarks anymore.

I agree with AlRex AlRex that starters are nearly as boring as Fire Emblem lords.

Though if we need an iconic Pokémon archetype represented, how about pseudo-legendaries? Garchomp is the most popular one to be sure, but while they aren't marketed that much, at least all of them have fairly prominent roles as endgame boss team members.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Seriously, why is TPC not concertedly marketing a non-starter, non-cover legendary Pokémon anymore? We don't get any Lucarios or Zoroarks anymore.

I agree with AlRex AlRex that starters are nearly as boring as Fire Emblem lords.

Though if we need an iconic Pokémon archetype represented, how about pseudo-legendaries? Garchomp is the most popular one to be sure, but while they aren't marketed that much, at least all of them have fairly prominent roles as endgame boss team members.
so long as we don't try and rep them all considering the number of pokemon archetypes there are

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
so long as we don't try and rep them all considering the number of pokemon archetypes there are
I think one per Pokémon archetype could work well enough honestly. It wouldn't be too different from the later Fire Emblem characters in Smash representing different "aspects" of that series like Robin representing durability, Corrin representing dragons, and Byleth representing the weapon triangle (but seriously, I'd rather have deuteragonists over Avatars at this point).

And of all the archetypes listed here (the closest I can find to a reliable list of Pokémon archetypes), I'd argue that only a few of them can be construed "iconic": the Starter Trio, the Common Rodents and Birds, the Pikaclone, the Pseudo-Legendary, and the Mascot Legendaries. I don't feel we need every Pokémon archetype represented.

And I highly doubt the Common Rodents and Birds can be considered fighter-worthy. At least something like a Goomba or Koopa holds a vital role in multiple games, but Common Rodent and Bird Pokémon are just swapped out.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think one per Pokémon archetype could work well enough honestly. It wouldn't be too different from the later Fire Emblem characters in Smash representing different "aspects" of that series like Robin representing durability, Corrin representing dragons, and Byleth representing the weapon triangle (but seriously, I'd rather have deuteragonists over Avatars at this point).

And of all the archetypes listed here (the closest I can find to a reliable list of Pokémon archetypes), I'd argue that only a few of them can be construed "iconic": the Starter Trio, the Common Rodents and Birds, the Pikaclone, the Pseudo-Legendary, and the Mascot Legendaries. I don't feel we need every Pokémon archetype represented.

And I highly doubt the Common Rodents and Birds can be considered fighter-worthy. At least something like a Goomba or Koopa holds a vital role in multiple games, but Common Rodent and Bird Pokémon are just swapped out.
the basic normal types and local birds don’t really get swapped out they often carry over, such as we’ve already seen last gens in gen 9. as for iconic well I’d say only the ones you get every gen make sense to be called that, starters, basic normals, birds, electric rodents, pseudo legendarys, legendarys and mythicals. And maybe we ones you get more often than not like fossils

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Cause Zoroark kinda flopped.

Regardless, we do get equivalents nowadays. They're just mostly stuff like Mimikyu or Wooloo.

Quillion

Smash Hero
the basic normal types and local birds don’t really get swapped out they often carry over, such as we’ve already seen last gens in gen 9.
They carry over but not fulfilling the game's "Goomba"; more in a "hey, this guy still exists" sort of way.

Cause Zoroark kinda flopped.

Regardless, we do get equivalents nowadays. They're just mostly stuff like Mimikyu or Wooloo.
Sure, but they don't get super big roles in game or in promo material anymore.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Unironically probably our best option for a regional bird kind of came and went, that being Corviknight. Its status as a giant metal-plated corvid that's also integrally tied to the culture of the Galar region (with the Corviknight Taxis), in addition to its popularity, would have made it a viable option, imo. Sadly, it's time has now sort of passed.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Nintendo will be opening a new retail store in Osaka in November. This marks their second location in Japan after their store in Tokyo, and yet another sister location to the Nintendo World store currently in New York City at Rockefeller Center.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Unironically probably our best option for a regional bird kind of came and went, that being Corviknight. Its status as a giant metal-plated corvid that's also integrally tied to the culture of the Galar region (with the Corviknight Taxis), in addition to its popularity, would have made it a viable option, imo. Sadly, it's time has now sort of passed.
Eh, I think either Pidgeot for being the OG or Staraptor for being as popular as it is still have more of a chance.

Nintendo will be opening a new retail store in Osaka in November. This marks their second location in Japan after their store in Tokyo, and yet another sister location to the Nintendo World store currently in New York City at Rockefeller Center.

What's TP Link even doing there? At least commit to the most recent thing, Nintendo.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

hmm the edinburgh branch of the store is a long way off

What's TP Link even doing there? At least commit to the most recent thing, Nintendo.
none of them are their most recent guise

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Considering they're also using the Splatoon 1 Inkling, they probably wanted to opt for "more iconic" over "more recent", so they went with the more traditional green outfit.
Which got me thinking, there hasn't been much Zelda related news yet this year, outside Tears of the Kingdom. I wonder if we'll see a new game with the classic green tunic after. I still think Zelfs is the best possible Nintendo franchise to make a new RPG spin off series from too, but I mostly wonder what they'll do after Tears of the Kingdom. I could see them go for a Ocarina of Time remake of sorts too .

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Which got me thinking, there hasn't been much Zelda related news yet this year, outside Tears of the Kingdom. I wonder if we'll see a new game with the classic green tunic after. I still think Zelfs is the best possible Nintendo franchise to make a new RPG spin off series from too, but I mostly wonder what they'll do after Tears of the Kingdom. I could see them go for a Ocarina of Time remake of sorts too .
I imagine we'll be waiting for the new console to come out first before we see a change in the Zelda universe's "main" game.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Doing research for one specific claim that was made for a future SCCC post.

This tweet did claim that not only was the Phantasy Star II contest a big success, but it also was a huge influence on Masahiro Sakurai himself. Now, a claim that big I needed to research a bit. I looked around, but information on the contest alone was scarce on our side of the internet at least. So I did a little digging on the Japanese side. The first thing were soft confirmations that the contest did exist. But then I found this.

Sega's official twitter verified that this contest existed, and their numbers lined up with the numbers the original tweet in English was suggesting. They also implied that some of the finalists were people still in the industry. This gave me the theory that the user in question was translating Japanese tweets partially to give us this information. The fact that the numbers lined up seemed to support that. That being said, I did not want to count my chickens before they hatched. People sometimes tossed Smash or Sakurai onto things just to get extra clicks. I checked the quote tweets, and one tweet highlighted another post, which I think might be our smoking gun.

This tweet is from a Japanese gaming archeologist specializing in the 80s and 90s, It appears they stumbled onto information that one of the participants being a Masahiro Sakurai. This Masahiro Sakurai claimed that their experience in this contest did help influence them to want to be a game creator. Now, I do not know if we can officially say this is Sakurai unless Sakurai himself says so. But the timing is almost perfect. Sakurai would have been a high school student at the same time as this Masahiro Sakurai and he would go on to game creation. The original sega tweet also implies that some of the people are still in the gaming industry. While other people who participated also might still be in the industry, Sakurai is notably a high profile one to mention. I think that there is a very real possibility that this Sakurai was one of the finalists for this contest.

You may take these findings as you want to, but I think that we can more assuredly say that Sakurai was probably one of the finalists for the Phantasy Star II contest in 1988.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Considering they're also using the Splatoon 1 Inkling, they probably wanted to opt for "more iconic" over "more recent", so they went with the more traditional green outfit.
If that's the case, they could've gone with OoT Link and Ganon over TP. A bit baffling they decide to go with the latter.

No, they got it right, there. 3D classic Link is the most evergreen Link and should return as the default Link in Smash IMO!
Agreed, but I think OoT Link should be the default and TP Link is the alt, following my above statement.

So uh...

Now you want them to shill the new stuff?

ignore me. I just couldn't resist being a smart ass.
Hey, at least promotional group artwork isn't shackled by a mentality to bring back as much of the old as feasibly possible no matter what.

Ivander

Smash Legend

This tweet is from a Japanese gaming archeologist specializing in the 80s and 90s, It appears they stumbled onto information that one of the participants being a Masahiro Sakurai. This Masahiro Sakurai claimed that their experience in this contest did help influence them to want to be a game creator. Now, I do not know if we can officially say this is Sakurai unless Sakurai himself says so. But the timing is almost perfect. Sakurai would have been a high school student at the same time as this Masahiro Sakurai and he would go on to game creation. The original sega tweet also implies that some of the people are still in the gaming industry. While other people who participated also might still be in the industry, Sakurai is notably a high profile one to mention. I think that there is a very real possibility that this Sakurai was one of the finalists for this contest.

You may take these findings as you want to, but I think that we can more assuredly say that Sakurai was probably one of the finalists for the Phantasy Star II contest in 1988.
Man, if it is him, Sakurai would've been 15/16 years old(depends on whether this contest was before or after August 3rd) when this contest happened and then 3.5 years later, he would create Kirby's Dreamland for Nintendo and fast forward to today, he practically brought many famous video game characters together. He's walked the journey many kid/teen gamers and aspiring VG developers dreamed of walking.

That said, really interested in seeing what all of the text on the image says. Source Gaming or any Japanese translator who does translations for video game stuff would probably have a field day translating this.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

This tweet did claim that not only was the Phantasy Star II contest a big success, but it also was a huge influence on Masahiro Sakurai himself. Now, a claim that big I needed to research a bit. I looked around, but information on the contest alone was scarce on our side of the internet at least. So I did a little digging on the Japanese side. The first thing were soft confirmations that the contest did exist. But then I found this.

Sega's official twitter verified that this contest existed, and their numbers lined up with the numbers the original tweet in English was suggesting. They also implied that some of the finalists were people still in the industry. This gave me the theory that the user in question was translating Japanese tweets partially to give us this information. The fact that the numbers lined up seemed to support that. That being said, I did not want to count my chickens before they hatched. People sometimes tossed Smash or Sakurai onto things just to get extra clicks. I checked the quote tweets, and one tweet highlighted another post, which I think might be our smoking gun.

Speed Weed Speed Weed this seems like something you'd be knowledgable of. What do you think?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Sure, but they don't get super big roles in game or in promo material anymore.
Mimikyu off the top of my head had a music video that was released before SM, had a major role in the anime, had a focus in one of the Poketoon episodes, was a Totem Pokemon in both SM and USUM, and a slew of merchandise behind it. That's a pretty notable presence in both the games and especially promotional material.

It may fall short of Lucario, but that says more about Lucario at this point. There are Pokemon that do get a good amount of promotion behind them, especially if they're very popular as TCPi is a very market focused company and generally will respond to that type of reception.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Man, if it is him, Sakurai would've been 15/16 years old(depends on whether this contest was before or after August 3rd) when this contest happened and then 3.5 years later, he would create Kirby's Dreamland for Nintendo and fast forward to today, he practically brought many famous video game characters together. He's walked the journey many kid/teen gamers and aspiring VG developers dreamed of walking.

That said, really interested in seeing what all of the text on the image says. Source Gaming or any Japanese translator who does translations for video game stuff would probably have a field day translating this.
Sakurai would have been 17 or 18 when taking this contest. A kid about to enter college or the workforce with big dreams. Within two years he’s directing Kirby’s Dream Lans at 19. Already achieving his dream so quickly must have been so exciting for him. I’m honestly glad I dug this up since it really puts it into perspective. At one point Sakurai was just a kid with dreams, and boy did he ever achieve them.

Not going to spoil my write up for Phantasy Star/Alis Landale (the main protagonist from Phantasy Star) for the SCCC, but let’s just say chance wise having this information is helpful

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Speed Weed Speed Weed this seems like something you'd be knowledgable of. What do you think?
I TOLD YALL

I TOLD YALL PHANTASY STAR IS A BIG DEAL

Anyway, a couple notes:

-I can see why you'd be wary about the claim, but it's worth noting that GSK is very much a reliable source. They know their ****, and are probably one of the single best accounts out there when it comes to Japanese/retro gaming news

-The guy who posted that last tweet, Yosuke Okunari, actually isn't just any random gaming archaeologist - he's an actual SEGA of Japan employee who specializes in stuff relating to their back catalog. He had a big hand in the 3D Classics series and both Mega Drive Minis, he oftentimes works on albums featuring their legacy content....I believe he was once described as something along the lines of "the SEGA employee who cares too much about SEGA". So again, if it's coming from his mouth....it's probably worth paying attention to.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Sakurai would have been 17 or 18 when taking this contest. A kid about to enter college or the workforce with big dreams. Within two years he’s directing Kirby’s Dream Lans at 19.
Oh, when I read he created Kirby at 19 and Kirby's Dreamland came out not too soon after, I assumed he was 19 when Kirby's Dreamland was released, so I was subtracting the years from Kirby's Dreamland release to the contest, but yeah, he was born in 1970, which would mean he started making Kirby with Nintendo around late-1989/early-1990 and he was 21 when Kirby's Dreamland was released(22 when it was released in Europe, since it released on his birthday).

Regardless, it's still very impressive.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh my god are you serious
Poor woman, but I doubt the fans will simply donate to charity instead of buying this game. 4000$ for a full game is not much, especially since the voice makes up a great deal of the characteristics of Bayonetta... Sad.

Top Bottom