• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Apparently, the poster included a BUNCH of easter eggs (the Odyssey kingdoms, Daisy's symbol, and possibly even one of the clouds?), so I think we'll be good in that regard.
Yeah, I was afraid they were going to only include New Super Mario Bros stuff, but it seems they're fully embracing the 3D games as well, such as with the Power Stars, which is great.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Honestly, despite not having many expectations for the movie, the trailer was pretty good. Kevin and Jack nailed the voices of Kamek and Bowser and captured their characters very well based on what we got, and Keegan as Toad was very good as well. Chris as Mario I'm still on the fence for, but we only got two lines so I'll wait to hear more, and the same goes for Charlie as Luigi as we only got grunts.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
credit where credit's due that voice jack black is putting on does sorta work for bowser. however it is very disappointing to see they've turned him into a generic movie villain as opposed to mr grumpy tantrum thrower. toad and mario sound wrong as i dreaded and for some reason mario isnt from the mushroom kingdom. why do they keep doing that? he's from there

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
In most media, Mario and Luigi come from Brookyln in the real world and later found themselves in the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yah seems like a narrative check up / overhaul for Mario and co. I'm looking forward to it though the trailer itself kinda had me thinking about Broadway so maybe there's musical numbers too (lol?). I love the humor so far.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So... assuming all franchises currently in are staying.

What are the three new franchises from each third party company that you find most likely for inclusion?

For convenience sake, here are the third party companies.

Konami
Sega
Capcom
Namco
Square Enix
Microsoft
SNK
Disney?

And for a bonus, which new third party companies do you find the most likely to join?
Konami - Contra, Bomberman, Silent Hill
Sega - Yakuza/Like a Dragon, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe
Capcom - Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Ghosts n Goblins
Namco - SoulCalibur, Digimon, Tales of
Square - Tomb Rai- uhh I mean, Mana, TWEWY, and Bravely
Microsoft - Halo, Doom, Crash Bandicoot
SNK - Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown, King of Fighters
Disney - Mickey, Marvel, Star Wars

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Since questions always do well, what first party well established series you guys expect to see newcomers next time ? Hard mode: no mention of Mario, Pokemon and Fire Emblem.

Personally I see Xenoblade, Animal Crossing and Splatoon as inevitable , even IF Animal Crossing and Splatoon newcomers end up being Echoes, Isabelles or semi clones. Likely are any sort of Zelda newcomer, and I sort of hope for a DK newcomer because Cranky appears in the Mario Movie, and he'd be a great character to give the original Arcade game a character on terms of his moveset.
I don’t expect anything. I hope and wish to see the following newcomers:

Mario series
  • Toad (with Captain Toad alt)
  • Toadette (as Toad Echo Fighter with Peachette Final Smash)
  • Waluigi
  • Birdo

Donkey Kong series
  • Pauline
  • Dixie Kong
  • Cranky Kong
  • Donkey Kong Jr.

Zelda series
  • Deku Link / Goron Link / Zora Link (3-in-1 transformation fighter like Pokémon Trainer with Fierce Deity Link Final Smash)
  • Skull Kid
  • Tingle
  • Impa (comes in 3 alt costumes from Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword, and Age of Calamity)
  • Ganon (the trident-wielding pig demon from NES and SNES games)
  • Toon Zelda (semi clone of Zelda)
  • Cucco (a joke character like Piranha Plant)

Metroid series
  • Raven Beak
  • Metroid (a joke character like Piranha Plant)

Yoshi series
  • Kamek
  • Baby Bros. (Baby Mario and Baby Luigi as a team with hammers and Bros. Items from Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time)
  • Shy Guy

Kirby series
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Marx

Pokemon series
  • Team Rocket (Meowth & Ekans / Meowth & Koffing) (Jessie and James in background like Pokémon Trainers; Ekans and Koffing take turns as Meowth’s tag team partner)
  • Eevee / Vaporeon / Jolteon / Flareon (Eevee evolves into one of three Eeveelutions via Evolution Stones; reverts to Eevee when losing a stock)

Kid Icarus series
  • Medusa

Pikmin series
  • Louie (with Brittany alt like Olimar and Alph; Olimar Echo Fighter with Rock Pikmin)

Animal Crossing series
  • Tom Nook (semi clone of Villager and Isabelle)
  • Resident (semi clone of Villager and Isabelle; comes in 8 alts like Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings; the alts are a popular Cranky animal, a popular Normal animal, a popular Jock animal, a popular Peppy animal, a popular Lazy animal, a popular Snooty animal, a popular Smug animal, and a popular Sisterly animal; they are 8 different species with similar body builds and proportions)

Splatoon series
  • Octoling (semi clone of Inkling with different weapons)

Arms series
  • Spring Man (semi clone of Min Min with different Arms)
  • Ribbon Girl (semi clone of Min Min with different Arms)

Retro franchises
  • Mike Jones from StarTropics
  • Takamaru from The Mysterious Murasame Castle
  • Muddy from Mole Mania
  • NES Remix (alts are Urban Champion, Balloon Fighter, and Excitebiker; they are always accompanied by Bubbles from Clu Clu Land; they use moves from NES games)
  • Daitouryou from Hanafuda (Hanafuda card with Napoleon printed on the front; sword fighter like the playing card that fought Mickey Mouse in Thru the Mirror)
  • Nester from Nintendo Power (with Lark from Pilotwings 64 alt; moves based on Nester’s Funky Bowling and Pilotwings series)
  • Captain N from Captain N: The Game Master

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I think we've seen far too little of the actual movie to make informed judgments on any of it, apart from the designs shown and the preliminary animation quality. Way too early to surmise characterization or voice acting. They each said like two things.

Though the movie and game canon not being the same should've been something obvious this whole time.

All I'll say is that it looks promising enough to not yet be negative about it. I like that, environmental design-wise, it seems like a natural evolution for the Mushroom Kingdom.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I think we've seen far too little of the actual movie to make informed judgments on any of it, apart from the designs shown and the preliminary animation quality. Way too early to surmise characterization or voice acting. They each said like two things.

Though the movie and game canon not being the same should've been something obvious this whole time.

All I'll say is that it looks promising enough to not yet be negative about it. I like that, environmental design-wise, it seems like a natural evolution for the Mushroom Kingdom.
Can't wait to see the other classic worlds like the desert and mountains adapted into the film.
(Mario games go like plains, desert, beach, snow, jungle, mountain, sky, and lava.)

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Since questions always do well, what first party well established series you guys expect to see newcomers next time ? Hard mode: no mention of Mario, Pokemon and Fire Emblem.

Personally I see Xenoblade, Animal Crossing and Splatoon as inevitable , even IF Animal Crossing and Splatoon newcomers end up being Echoes, Isabelles or semi clones. Likely are any sort of Zelda newcomer, and I sort of hope for a DK newcomer because Cranky appears in the Mario Movie, and he'd be a great character to give the original Arcade game a character on terms of his moveset.
I would bet my life on this:
Pokemon
Splatoon

Very Likely:
Mario
Xenoblade
Fire Emblem
Animal Crossing
Kirby

Somewhat Likely:
Zelda
DK
WarioWare

Depends on the fate of the franchise going forward:
Metroid
ARMS
Pikmin

Unlikely:
Star Fox
Yoshi
F Zero
Kid Icarus
Earthbound
Punch Out
Mii

No:
Ice Climber
ROB
Game and Watch
Dunk Hunt
Wii Fit

If you wanted to throw Third Party series in there, I think that you could make a reasonable argument plenty of them have a solid shot of getting a second rep. If you include echos that goes up even further in my opinion.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
To change the subject a little, what 3rd party Assist Trophies would you have liked to see? This is going by company, but you can go with characters from both represented and unrepresented franchises. For me:
  • Konami: Frogger
  • Sega: Opa-Opa
  • Capcom: Red Arremer
  • Namco: Wonder Momo
  • Square Enix: Neku Sakuraba
  • ATLUS: Jack Frost
  • Microsoft: Creeper
  • SNK: Nakoruru
  • Disney: RIku

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I'm just going to post my rambling thoughts in no particular order. (not counting series that are only one game, Wii Fit, or the retro ones)

Splatoon: incredibly likely, though I'm expecting it will be Octoling as an echo rather than a unique character

Xenoblade: I'm not sure how well Xenoblade 3 did, or how well it was received, but I figure it will get something, whether it's base game or DLC

Animal Crossing: on one hand, the success of the Switch game makes it seem likely, but on the other hand, I'm not sure who they'd add. (not familiar enough with the franchise beyond the Gamecube game to know who stands out, if anyone)

Donkey Kong: here's hoping; maybe the push for K. Rool made it clear that people want more Donkey Kong content? (Donkey Kongtent?) Dixie and Cranky seem most likely to me

Zelda: I want it to happen (it's been over two decades since Smash got a new unique Zelda character despite Hyrule Warriors and Age of Calamity making it clear how much potential the series has), but Smash seems content to avoid adding new Zelda characters like the plague

Metroid: I feel like we were lucky to get Ridley and Dark Samus as playable; I have my doubts that there will be more. (maybe Raven Beak, but I doubt it)

Yoshi: I seriously doubt it; Yoshi being considered its own series in Smash feels like an artifact of the N64 days

Wario: as much as I'd love to have Captain Syrup for some Wario Land references, I doubt it

Star Fox, Kirby: there's potential, but I seriously doubt it (Star Fox hasn't gone much further in terms of its timeline, and Sakurai seems content to focus on the Kirby games that he directed)

Earthbound: nothing seems to have changed since the Brawl days for the series

F-Zero: while some characters would be fun to see playable, I don't see it happening

Kid Icarus: maybe? It's been long enough that people likely wouldn't be annoyed by more Kid Icarus content or consider it Sakurai bias or what have you

Pikmin: probably not, though I could see Alph being promoted to an echo fighter

Punch-Out: I could see it happening; maybe Doc Louis or one of the opposing boxers

TL;DR:

Likely: Xenoblade, Splatoon
Maybe: Punch-Out, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Pikmin
Unlikely: the rest

(at least in my opinion, though I'm speculating completely blind here)

dream1ng

Smash Lord
All I know is that if the next Smash still doesn't have a Zelda newcomer (an original one), that would be pretty ****ed up.

Not only would that make it four Smash games in a row, but WW, 4S, MC, 4SA, TP, PH, ST, SS, ALBW, TFH, BotW, and TotK (and like half the series getting remade/ported) would've come and gone without an original newcomer.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
To think we had a Pilotwings discussion not too long ago:

Although I wasn't expecting THIS kind of trailer...

(Anyway, smashkirby smashkirby you have an excuse to shill Lark in Smash again if you want).
I caught the news earlier! Between this (plus the reception to PW64 being overwhelmingly positive) and the Mario movie actually looking promising(!), I think I'm really winning this month! 😊

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Actually, some of the early arcade games (Wrecking Crew and Mario Bros) took place in New York, before Super Mario Bros had him arriving in the Mushroom Kingdom upon hearing of the people's plight.
you mean the story made by atari? not to mention all the yoshi's island games that show them as babies in the mushroom kingdom. as does mario and luigi partner's in time

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
It was pretty cool (the trailer) and I really like Kamek being given a seemingly prominent supporting role. I would presume that newfound relevance could help his chances of being playable in Smash someday. Smash could always use more mages. If Mushroom Kingdom U remained and players picked Kamek you all should know who to leave it to.

Whatever Mario's voice ends up being I still think it was the right call not to use the traditional video game voice for him considering it's basically an Italian stereotype. You can't have that in a blockbuster movie meant for a wide audience if for no other reason than it'd likely either get grating or lose it's charm over the full duration of the movie. Maybe they could have made it work but I think it would have been waaaaaay riskier than fans are willing to admit. At least they gave Charles something and hopefully it's something substantial enough.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Hey look the thingy I made is done.

Here are the results of Part 1 of the Smash Community Character Corral. Part 2's poll is in the article. I'll also leave it here.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
what's this?
It is the results of a new project we are doing: The Smash Community Character Corral. Gage people on how likely and how much they want stuff in a quick poll in between games to try to get a little bit of useful data.

Here is the link for Part 2. This part focuses on the Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, and Kirby series.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
you mean the story made by atari? not to mention all the yoshi's island games that show them as babies in the mushroom kingdom. as does mario and luigi partner's in time
Yoshi's Island was pretty clearly a retcon. The Mario lore up until that point, in numerous pieces of officially licensed media, made it clear that Mario was, indeed, from Brooklyn. Things like licensed comics, SimCity SNES, the Super Show, the aforementioned Atari Mario Bros. port, and of course, the infamous live action film all follow this plotline. Even the initial Super Mario anime film had Mario being sucked into the Mushroom Kingdom from the real world, so even if in this case Brooklyn wasn't specified, Super Mario has been an isekai-type story from the earliest days.

But if that's still not enough to show that Yoshi's Island was an attempt at a retcon, take this interview from 1996, as spoken by Miyamoto himself:

- I noticed that Mario speaks with an Italian accent in this game.

Miyamoto: There’s no particularly detailed background or anything, but yeah, it’s a given that Mario is an Italian-American from Brooklyn, New York. That voice was actually done by a professional voice actor. He did Mario’s voice five or six years ago, at a video game event.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yoshi's Island was pretty clearly a retcon. The Mario lore up until that point, in numerous pieces of officially licensed media, made it clear that Mario was, indeed, from Brooklyn. Things like licensed comics, SimCity SNES, the Super Show, the aforementioned Atari Mario Bros. port, and of course, the infamous live action film all follow this plotline. Even the initial Super Mario anime film had Mario being sucked into the Mushroom Kingdom from the real world, so even if in this case Brooklyn wasn't specified, Super Mario has been an isekai-type story from the earliest days.

But if that's still not enough to show that Yoshi's Island was an attempt at a retcon, take this interview from 1996, as spoken by Miyamoto himself:
so, what we should expect the ? blocks to be transformed people and the koopalings to be bowsers kids? so it’s minor no longer canon detail thay no one in charge bothers to acknowledge so it’s ok?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
so, what we should expect the ? blocks to be transformed people and the koopalings to be bowsers kids?
I mean, it's entirely possible. Especially the former, in my opinion. But just because this one instance reset the canon to its rightful origins doesn't necessarily mean all changes will be reverted. I'm just pointing out that Mario's origins being tied to an isekai plotline isn't new, and has been present from the start.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, it's entirely possible. Especially the former, in my opinion. But just because this one instance reset the canon to its rightful origins doesn't necessarily mean all changes will be reverted. I'm just pointing out that Mario's origins being tied to an isekai plotline isn't new, and has been present from the start.
rightful origins? please that was not part of the original story they made that up later. if anything is the rightful origin it’s that he’s called jumpman

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sometimes Mario is "spaghetti, ravioli, linguini! wa-hoo!" sometimes Mario is "ay, I'm waulkin over 'ere!"

It's been a while since the latter, but still, this isn't new.
Never honestly heard the Mario with New York accent . Where is this heard ?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
rightful origins? please that was not part of the original story they made that up later. if anything is the rightful origin it’s that he’s called jumpman
I mean it's pretty clearly the case, with the Donkey Kong arcade game clearly taking place in a big city, and official material pretty much from the beginning specifying it to be Brooklyn, New York. That particular detail took until the introduction of New Donk to be retconned. Hell, Mario even acted as the WVBA referee, which Nintendo still acknowledges, and the Punch-Out!! games canonically take place in New York.

so, what we should expect the ? blocks to be transformed people and the koopalings to be bowsers kids? so it’s minor no longer canon detail thay no one in charge bothers to acknowledge so it’s ok?
Since you edited this post with more things, I'll respond here too. It's absolutely not a minor detail, no matter how much you dislike it. The birthplace of two of the most famous game characters of all time is not a minor thing, even if it had been retconned.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean it's pretty clearly the case, with the Donkey Kong arcade game clearly taking place in a big city, and official material pretty much from the beginning specifying it to be Brooklyn, New York. That particular detail took until the introduction of New Donk to be retconned. Hell, Mario even acted as the WVBA referee, which Nintendo still acknowledges, and the Punch-Out!! games canonically take place in New York.

Since you edited this post with more things, I'll respond here too. It's absolutely not a minor detail, no matter how much you dislike it. The birthplace of two of the most famous game characters of all time is not a minor thing, even if it had been retconned.
Oh fine then

of course they haven’t said where he was from in the movie and we may all yet be thrown for a loop when he claims to be from London

Last edited:
Top Bottom