• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
BirthNote BirthNote
What do you think of having an animal buddy as a fighter?

I remember seeing this way back years ago.
View attachment 361512
Playing as a rhino would be unexpected but fun.
It’s definitely interesting, I’ll give you that. I would be cool with more random Smash inclusions like Rambi. The moveset looks like fun too. If we can get characters like Pirahna Plant in Ultimate, I say why not?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
List of "Fourth-Party" characters that are Feasible for Smash because they are owned (or partially-onwed) by Nintendo:
  • Captain N (or Kevin Kleene) - Captain N: The Game Master
  • Nester (with or without Howard Lincoln) - Nintendo Power/Nester's Funky Bowling
  • Tiff & Tuff (or Escargoon if you want something) - Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
  • Team Rocket (Jessie, James and Meowth, or maybe Meowth alone with some attacks using the gadgets) - Pokémon anime
I'm a bit late to the convo here, but I'd say that Nester's only shot at getting into Smash is via his Lark persona from Pilotwings.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm a bit late to the convo here, but I'd say that Nester's only shot at getting into Smash is via his Lark persona from Pilotwings.
Oh, that reminds me, do we know if Pilotwings 64 is coming to Japan as part of NSO? That might help boost the game's notability, as I don't think it released there originally. Granted, I doubt it'd get more than a song in Smash, but you never know...

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Hello everyone, after a hiatus I've returned with a new idea for Dixie Kong.

This entry is another for the Super Hair category, which covers Hair Attacks that defy physics in a more cartoony manner, whether it's a case of flying or drilling. Speaking of which:

Dixie spins her hair like a drill and rushes forward! As she keeps low to the ground, her ponytail impales foes whilst drilling into them, racking up damage and carrying them through the trajectory. Enemies take more damage at the point of impact, and take weaker continuous damage as they're carried unwillingly by the drill.

This differs from Meta Knight's Drill Rush it can't be angled while Dixie runs but it can be stopped early. However, the endlag is notable as whenever Dixie stops her momentum will cause her to slide a bit, so while you do have another brand of Kongicide you can inflict on foes, using this on the edge of a Walk-Off Stage is risky even without a victim.

This move is inspired by Meta Knight's Side B, Greninja's Running Animation and Dixie's Swimming Animation from Tropical Freeze. Thanks to her using her hair as a drill in that, Drill-Like attacks are now on the table. It seems there are many ways to spin a ponytail.

If anyone wants an idea of potential options for Dixie, I have a Google Doc covering a myriad of ideas that grows ever so slightly. The more high quality images are closer to the bottom.
There's also the old Smash Ultimate thread for Dixie as well.
This honestly looks like it would come from one of Sakurai's concept documents. 😳 Very well thought out, creative and shows the versatility of Dixie's ponytail. Excellent work!

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Oh, that reminds me, do we know if Pilotwings 64 is coming to Japan as part of NSO? That might help boost the game's notability, as I don't think it released there originally. Granted, I doubt it'd get more than a song in Smash, but you never know...
Pilotwings 64 did come out in Japan and yes, it's coming to Japanese NSO as well.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
BirthNote BirthNote
What do you think of having an animal buddy as a fighter?

I remember seeing this way back years ago.
View attachment 361512
Playing as a rhino would be unexpected but fun.
This is so excellent. Even though it's heavily reliant on the horn (duh) I'm still wowed by the creativity here. Should make one reconsider whenever somebody claims there's no moveset potential. A lack of reference material isn't the same as having no moveset potential. You'd have to basically be like a Tetris block or something for me to think you... had... no...

Oh...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
This is so excellent. Even though it's heavily reliant on the horn (duh) I'm still wowed by the creativity here. Should make one reconsider whenever somebody claims there's no moveset potential. A lack of reference material isn't the same as having no moveset potential. You'd have to basically be like a Tetris block or something for me to think you... had... no...

Oh...
Yeah, I totally agree. I think pretty much any character can be made to have a fun moveset if enough thought and creativity is put into it so I never really count “no moveset potential” as a disqualifier for anyone. Just going by my own personal preference, I like it when the character has a lot of fun and unique skills they can pull directly from their games to make it feel like you’re actually playing them straight out of the game they’re from but there’s also a lot of merit in coming up with fun and creative new attacks that still fit the character and would allow them to fit into a game like Smash.

I had a lot of fun creating my Magus moveset from Chrono Trigger, for example. Since he comes from an SNES turn based RPG, it actually required a lot of creative liberties to translate his abilities into a game like Smash and come up with a few others to fill out a few missing spots. On the flip side, it’s also a lot of fun trying to come up with ways to make characters feel as close to 1-1 counterparts to their home game while still not feeling completely out of place in a platform fighter like Smash. I went this route with many of my other movesets, one example being Bill Rizer.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I used to think that certain characters had no moveset potential back in 2007. Then Olimar got revealed and I realized that you really can make a moveset with enough creativity.

Then ROB, Bowser Jr., Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Villager, Duck Hunt, Steve and Piranha Plant just shattered the myth entirely

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It's less about "moveset potential" and more about "can the character dance in Sakurai's head", as he put it in this interview.

That's why something like Rosalina or Wii Fit Trainer can work awhile arguably other characters like Pauline or Dr. Kawashima don't. Rosalina for example doesn't really do a whole lot in the Galaxy games but she's still a powerful cosmic space entity of some kind that raises a family of space children, so it's actually pretty easy to make a Smash Bros. moveset for her with a little bit of creativity on Sakurai's part. Meanwhile someone like Pauline is just some regular old human who...sings. Not nearly that much to work with there.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I used to think that certain characters had no moveset potential back in 2007. Then Olimar got revealed and I realized that you really can make a moveset with enough creativity.

Then ROB, Bowser Jr., Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Villager, Duck Hunt, Steve and Piranha Plant just shattered the myth entirely
sometimes i think sakurai has selective creativity

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's less about "moveset potential" and more about "can the character dance in Sakurai's head", as he put it in this interview.

That's why something like Rosalina or Wii Fit Trainer can work awhile arguably other characters like Pauline or Dr. Kawashima don't. Rosalina for example doesn't really do a whole lot in the Galaxy games but she's still a powerful cosmic space entity of some kind that raises a family of space children, so it's actually pretty easy to make a Smash Bros. moveset for her with a little bit of creativity on Sakurai's part. Meanwhile someone like Pauline is just some regular old human who...sings. Not nearly that much to work with there.
Now that she had her whole musician portrayal in Odyssey, I think something could probably be done with that. We don’t really have a character focused on music at the moment to my knowledge.

Another idea is to incorporate the mechanics of the game they were popularized in in their moveset to make them stand out, even if those moves or mechanics aren’t exclusive to the character. That’s one reason I like my Dixie Kong suggestions. Even though the animal buddies and tag mechanics aren’t exclusive to her, it still makes her feel more true to her game and makes her stand out from the rest of the roster. It’s better if the character in question is at least capable of performing the moves in question but this has worked even when they can’t to fill out Zelda’s moveset with magic from the series that only Link had used prior. It still felt right because it was true to the games and Zelda was never shown to fight much before that point so a few creative liberties were needed.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Now that she had her whole musician portrayal in Odyssey, I think something could probably be done with that. We don’t really have a character focused on music at the moment to my knowledge.
well he doesn’t really do tropes. Apart from inceneroar

Gengar84

Smash Hero
since when was that a problem?
It’s not really a problem, but it’s better to at least have some basis to start building a moveset around. Like I said, with enough creativity, you can make a moveset for pretty much anything but if a character has a trait that makes them stand out in any way (in this case, her musical talents in Odyssey), it might make sense to start there in order to make the character feel a bit more true to themselves and not just a random moveset.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah, it originally released in Japan in 1996, and it's (FINALLY) getting re-released worldwide (including Japan) on the NSO before this year comes to an end. I will say this, I think we better get ready for a whole slew of Robin/Hooter fanart...

I DO have to wonder though, what in the world took Nintendo so long to re-issue PW64? I mean, it wasn't even on the Virtual Console (for both Wii AND Wii U).

Like, was it legal issues a'la Joy Mech Fight that prevented it from getting re-released or something?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah, it originally released in Japan in 1996, and it's (FINALLY) getting re-released worldwide (including Japan) on the NSO before this year comes to an end. I will say this, I think we better get ready for a whole slew of Robin/Hooter fanart...

I DO have to wonder though, what in the world took Nintendo so long to re-issue PW64? I mean, it wasn't even on the Virtual Console (for both Wii AND Wii U).

Like, was it legal issues a'la Joy Mech Fight that prevented it from getting re-released or something?
Hm... was there any particularly notable people involved? As in, the kind that would hold partial ownership over their contribution (i.e. the composer holding partial rights to the music, or the character designer holding partial rights to the designs)?

Troykv

Smash Master
Oh he DEFINITELY does 🤣. Based on that excerpt if he's not feeling it he won't bother.
That is probably the reason why he initially rejected the idea of PAC-MAN, and why Ike was chosen (he fitted an archetype he had in mind, as far as I remember)

Laniv

Smash Champion

Honestly, I think Pauline could work with using her musician motif as a base, the cap-throwing mechanic as a secondary, and the mini-toys from Mario vs. DK as a Mechakoopa-like down special.

Anyways, new Mario + Rabbids story trailer:

Gotta say, I'm surprised Nintendo let a third-party company do that with their characters in 2022.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That was just because Bamco wanted to push-up The Ghostly Adventures to the extreme.
Actually no, you're mixing things up a bit here. Back in Brawl, Miyamoto actually suggested adding Pac-Man, but Sakurai quickly dismissed it as a joke because he couldn't envision how he'd fight in his iconic pizza slice design. During Smash 4 he changed his tune on Pac-Man (as well as the likes of Villager and the Miis, who were also previously dismissed during Brawl), and was only then worried about whether he'd need to use the Ghostly Adventures design. Thankfully, Bandai-Namco were fully supportive of using the classic look from the get-go.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, I think Pauline could work with using her musician motif as a base, the cap-throwing mechanic as a secondary, and the mini-toys from Mario vs. DK as a Mechakoopa-like down special.

Gotta say, I'm surprised Nintendo let a third-party company do that with their characters in 2022.
do what?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Cursa alt for Rosalina next game?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

I think that later argument is super disingenuous. Smash is no stranger to letting characters borrow aspects from other characters in their series. Rosalina, despite being this powerful cosmic space entity, still borrows from Mario's Galaxy moveset in her own moveset. Star Bits, her Grand Star Final Smash, Launch Star, and Gravitational Pull all were lifted from Mario and repurposed for Rosalina. This is not just something for Rosalina, we have seen this plenty of other times. Zelda's moveset was pretty much made up as a sorceress when she did not display much magical feats outside of restraining Ganon. She even borrows Link's magic spells from Ocarina of Time. Ness and Lucas borrow spells in their movesets from their party members. This is not even counting characters where their movesets were more or less made up in Smash to better fit a motif rather than outright represent the series. It took until Smash 4 for DK to even get his Roll as his Dash Attack. Ganon did not get his sword for any attacks until Ultimate. The Star Fox characters and Captain Falcon chose to focus on themes of their games to represent how it would feel for an F Zero or Star Fox character to be in smash rather than directly putting in an Arwing or the Blue Falcon.

The only obstacle to a character to get in moveset wise is whether Sakurai could himself envision it working. He made a potted plant and Wii Fit Trainer into playable characters. If Sakurai wanted to make Pauline work, he could easily do that.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I think the whole "dancing" thing is pretty well-known to Smash speculators at this point. But for me, the combination of two factors,

(1) that characters who don't "dance" initially for Sakurai might start dancing for him later
and
(2) that characters who large portions of the community believed couldn't dance actually could,

makes the whole "lack of moveset" arg very weak in general.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hm... was there any particularly notable people involved? As in, the kind that would hold partial ownership over their contribution (i.e. the composer holding partial rights to the music, or the character designer holding partial rights to the designs)?
Well... If I'm remembering this correctly, Paradigm Simulation (a computer graphics company from the 90's) co-developed the game with Nintendo EAD. While they ARE defunct now, maybe someone on that team had owned some/most of the assets? That's my guess anyways.

Considering how Nintendo (from what I know of them) seem to usually see to it that they own just about EVERYTHING involved in a game they partially worked on (especially when it comes to one of THEIR IPs), I'm going to be quite shocked if this turns out to be the case.

For me personally, PW64 barely being acknowledged came to a head with Smash's Pilotwings stage not having ANY references to PW64 whatsoever. Heck, forget the stage; virtually NOTHING from PW64 is alluded to in Smash. Not even any of the characters of that game got a trophy or Spirit.

I mean, look. I GUESS I can understand stuff like StarTropics and Gumshoe, as Sakurai himself has stated via an interview regarding Melee that Smash Bros. will NOT be referencing anything that wasn't released in Japan (apparently that includes stuff that Nintendo themselves have made, even if said thing was handled by their Japanese devs).

But PW64? Not only was that released in Japan, but it was a launch title for the N64. Like, why the aversion to bring it up in Smash Bros.?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well... If I'm remembering this correctly, Paradigm Simulation (a computer graphics company from the 90's) co-developed the game with Nintendo EAD. While they ARE defunct now, maybe someone on that team had owned some/most of the assets? That's my guess anyways.

Considering how Nintendo (from what I know of them) seem to usually see to it that they own just about EVERYTHING involved in a game they partially worked on (especially when it comes to one of THEIR IPs), I'm going to be quite shocked if this turns out to be the case.

For me personally, PW64 barely being acknowledged came to a head with Smash's Pilotwings stage not having ANY references to PW64 whatsoever. Heck, forget the stage; virtually NOTHING from PW64 is alluded to in Smash. Not even any of the characters of that game got a trophy or Spirit.

I mean, look. I GUESS I can understand stuff like StarTropics and Gumshoe, as Sakurai himself has stated via an interview regarding Melee that Smash Bros. will NOT be referencing anything that wasn't released in Japan (apparently that includes stuff that Nintendo themselves have made, even if said thing was handled by their Japanese devs).

But PW64? Not only was that released in Japan, but it was a launch title for the N64. Like, why the aversion to bring it up in Smash Bros.?
Sounds like one of those things where we'd need somebody like DidYouKnowGaming to try and figure it out...

Either that, or Nintendo is already at the "scrapping the bottom of the barrel" phase of NSO for N64. Like, you know how everybody complaine about how the NES and SNES lineups on NSO are just big name Nintendo games and whatever random third parties that most people have never heard of? That's... more or less the N64's lineup in general, if that makes any sense.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Then explain the Elite Beat Agents trophy in Brawl.

Top Bottom