• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Really? How come?
It wasn’t really a conscious effort to avoid them, I just didn’t have a ton of games growing up. For Konami, I was really into Contra and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games and I think that’s it at the time. Even to this day, I think my only experience with either CastleVania or Metal Gear is renting Super CastleVania IV on the SNES and the first Metal Gear Solid on PS1. Sadly, since I’ve always been kind of trash at games, I never got very far in either. CastleVania does have some awesome music though and I do miss the old Metal Gear theme that they had to stop using because it was way too similar to an existing song.

NES games that I owned:

Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt/Track
Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3
TMNT 1 and 2
Contra and Super C
Battletoads
Wrestlemania
Adventure Island
Top Gun
Dragon Power
Sesame Street

NES games that I played (natively on NES)

Mega Man 1-4
Kung-Fu
Rad Racer
Tetris
Marble Madness
Double Dragon
Pro Wrestling
Punch Out
Adventure Island 2

There might be others that I just can’t remember at the moment but that’s all I come up with right now off the top of my head. I’ve played a few others since then on other consoles but I think this may have been it for NES itself.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I lose track of the thread after going around doing other stuff trying to follow the news with Engage xD

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
For people that know about the Ys games, what would be a good reveal trailer for Adol Christin?

It wasn’t really a conscious effort to avoid them, I just didn’t have a ton of games growing up. For Konami, I was really into Contra and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games and I think that’s it at the time. Even to this day, I think my only experience with either CastleVania or Metal Gear is renting Super CastleVania IV on the SNES and the first Metal Gear Solid on PS1. Sadly, since I’ve always been kind of trash at games, I never got very far in either. CastleVania does have some awesome music though and I do miss the old Metal Gear theme that they had to stop using because it was way too similar to an existing song.

NES games that I owned:

Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt/Track
Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3
TMNT 1 and 2
Contra and Super C
Battletoads
Wrestlemania
Adventure Island
Top Gun
Dragon Power
Sesame Street

NES games that I played (natively on NES)

Mega Man 1-4
Kung-Fu
Rad Racer
Tetris
Marble Madness
Double Dragon
Pro Wrestling
Punch Out
Kirby’s Dream Land 3
Adventure Island 2

There might be others that I just can’t remember at the moment but that’s all I come up with right now off the top of my head. I’ve played a few others since then on other consoles but I think this may have been it for NES itself.
Metal Gear I can understand (even though the game surprisingly sold over 1 million copies). My first introduction to the series was Metal Gear Solid and that was before I found out that the series started long before that.

There's so many games on the NES that you can't expect to play all the classics on them at the same time.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
If there are weirdos that want Android 21 in Smash for her video game origins, i haven't seen no crowd for Aska from TMNT Tournament Fighters in Smash. Since both are from fighting games based on 4th Party media.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If there are weirdos that want Android 21 in Smash for her video game origins, i haven't seen no crowd for Aska from TMNT Tournament Fighters in Smash. Since both are from fighting games based on 4th Party media.
I’m firmly in the camp that’s cool with whatever. Personally, as long as I like the character or even just think their design or moveset potential is fun, I don’t really care much what media they originated from. I realize that’s a wildly unpopular opinion and I’m not really advocating for non game characters but I’d be lying to you if I said I wouldn’t be hyped for any of the TMNT characters, Venom, Predator, the Undertaker, or tons of other characters in Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
All because it's the closest thing to having Goku in Smash. I wouldn't take those people seriously.
It's likely they're indeed Goku fans who seemed to have found a way to get DBZ content in Smash by dodging the "rules". Honestly, I do think Goku himself is way more likely. He's insanely popular after all, and I do think Smash might branch out to include characters like Goku eventually.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
It's likely they're indeed Goku fans who seemed to have found a way to get DBZ content in Smash by dodging the "rules". Honestly, I do think Goku himself is way more likely. He's insanely popular after all, and I do think Smash might branch out to include characters like Goku eventually.
Goku fans still doesn't use characters like Shallot or Hatchiyiak as examples, even if they indeed had their birth in gaming.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
That's only if Sakurai changes his mind but as long as he sticks to the whole video game character only rule (which I hope he does), Goku has no chance. Personally, I'd rather Nintendo add their own Goku to Smash.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I always think arguments centered around characters that originate from the video game properties of series that don't originate from video games are always dumb and unproductive. Android 21 would be an extremely deflating choice and no one would be excited or happy except for a few terminally online Smash/DBZ fans. The vastly superior option would be to just make an exception for Goku at that point.

I think if Bamco can be presumed to be Smash's dev for the foreseeable future that a Super Smash Bros. Vs Shonen Jump Forces would be a remarkable entry into the series if they so willed it. There's not a better 4th party brand that I think could pull it off and the Bamco relationship is just icing on the cake.

Can you even imagine, in your wildest dreams, Sakurai and Nintendo negotiating for ****ing Android 21 over Goku? It's just stupid. I actually have an easier time imagining them negotiating for Shrek.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I always think arguments centered around characters that originate from the video game properties of series that don't originate from video games are always dumb and unproductive. Android 21 would be an extremely deflating choice and no one would be excited or happy except for a few terminally online Smash/DBZ fans. The vastly superior option would be to just make an exception for Goku at that point.

I think if Bamco can be presumed to be Smash's dev for the foreseeable future that a Super Smash Bros. Vs Shonen Jump Forces would be a remarkable entry into the series if they so willed it. There's not a better 4th party brand that I think could pull it off and the Bamco relationship is just icing on the cake.

Can you even imagine, in your wildest dreams, Sakurai and Nintendo negotiating for ****ing Android 21 over Goku? It's just stupid. I actually have an easier time imagining them negotiating for Shrek.
I’d be relatively happy and I’m not a particularly huge Dragon Ball fan (I never really watched any of it to be fair). I just think her design is cool. I really like some of Toriyama’s designs like Majin Buu, Piccolo, Magus, Frog, Red, Jade, and Zola so it would be cool to see some characters beyond his typical hero look. That’s one reason I’m a bigger supporter of Magus over Crono.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I’d be relatively happy and I’m not a particularly huge Dragon Ball fan (I never really watched any of it to be fair). I just think her design is cool. I really like some of Toriyama’s designs like Majin Buu, Piccolo, Magus, Frog, Red, Jade, and Zola so it would be cool to see some characters beyond his typical hero look. That’s one reason I’m a bigger supporter of Magus over Crono.
Fair enough but I just feel like Goku is the one to go for. He's the mascot of anime itself and by extension Toriyama designs.

Android 21 by comparison feels like a cheap rule-skirting pick rather than something people actually want. Her labcoat variant is widely hated in the game she's from. It legitimately feels like Arc Systems Works (the devs) were actually intentionally trying to destroy their own game in some weird attempt to get players over to Guilty Gear Strive because it's extremely baffling for a company so ingrained in fighting game culture to make the plethora of boneheaded decisions they made with her kit that I can only rationalize/understand it as intentional sabotage.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Fair enough but I just feel like Goku is the one to go for. He's the mascot of anime itself and by extension Toriyama designs.
He's also kind of, like, a mascot for Japan itself, to the same extent as Mario.

If Smash goes 4th party(which they hopefully won't), he just seems like the obvious first choice.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Disney, Marvel and anime characters as Goku and Naruto are my biggest bets in fourth party characters that would first make it to Smash. Just think, Cloud and Sora where once considered "impossible" requests too, am not saying to expect them, am just mostly preparing myself for the moment they do happen.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Disney, Marvel and anime characters as Goku and Naruto are my biggest bets in fourth party characters that would first make it to Smash. Just think, Cloud and Sora where once considered "impossible" requests too, am not saying to expect them, am just mostly preparing myself for the moment they do happen.
well the reason they were considered impossible were for slightly different reasons

Stratos

Smash Ace
For me I would say the beauty of the Super Smash Bros series is that it won't have 4th party characters, the Super Smash Bros series is famous for only accepting video game characters, but on the other hand why not?

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
They're not going to include 4th party characters for dozens of reasons lol, chief of all licensing costs beyond any existing character, opening up to extremely questionable possibilities and the creator of the series explicitly deconfirming it in twenty different ways

Plus there's still so so much to explore with video games. I can name several hugely iconic japanese series without playable characters. We've barely had a couple of characters from the same 3rd party franchise. Western games just got their first dip into smash.
...smash fans really need to expand their horizons and not limit themselves to so little.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
He's also kind of, like, a mascot for Japan itself, to the same extent as Mario.

If Smash goes 4th party(which they hopefully won't), he just seems like the obvious first choice.
I always though it was Astro Boy/Mighty Atom, but he's almost like Felix the Cat.

And if that comparison was strange, who's Japan's Gertie the Dinosaur?

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
They're not going to include 4th party characters for dozens of reasons lol, chief of all licensing costs beyond any existing character, opening up to extremely questionable possibilities and the creator of the series explicitly deconfirming it in twenty different ways

Plus there's still so so much to explore with video games. I can name several hugely iconic japanese series without playable characters. We've barely had a couple of characters from the same 3rd party franchise. Western games just got their first dip into smash.
...smash fans really need to expand their horizons and not limit themselves to so little.
This. People don't know how much legal nightmare it is to bring manga/anime characters to crossover game. Capcom vs Tatsunako, Jump Force.
And no. Single title like DBZF or simple skins like Fortnite skin is totally different story. Smash takes not only just characters, but also images, music, etc. This also involves way more copyright issues. Nintendo won't be able to sell Smash if one of foreign IP holders of DBZ object or hinder.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So here’s a less common topic: virtual pets. You know tamagotchi, digimon, that beetle thing sakurai made. Do you, like some of us, count them as video games and would you like any representation in smash?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Sakurai would be going for an Anime/Manga character, it means he was able to get all the licensing done for every tiny little bit. No more, no less. And that's not easy. Very little chance of happening, but that's due to, well, too many costs. Would certainly make the cash back without any issues, especially if it's DLC.

Anyway, as for Digimon, etc. They're entirely video games from the start. They're just handheld versions, and has everything otherwise. Nice, simple gameplay, few buttons, etc. I definitely want to see Digimon in, and since it's a game series, there's tons of plausible Digimon that can show up(including WarGreymon, who is an obvious Spirit if not a plausible Final Smash). Very few Digimon even showed up outside of the games in the end(like Citrimon, a joke edit Digimon that was for the Data Squad dub only due to BomberNanimon being treated as way too close to terrorist attacks(and lots of episodes have been banned before for similar reasons on other anime/shows/etc).

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So here’s a less common topic: virtual pets. You know tamagotchi, digimon, that beetle thing sakurai made. Do you, like some of us, count them as video games and would you like any representation in smash?
I count them. And I've been meaning to get into Digimon, so I wouldn't mind that one, at least.

osby

Smash Obsessed
They are video games no matter how you look at it. I don't see how one would consider them ineligible for Smash when we have Mr. Game & Watch and Wii Fit Trainer.

Virtual pets were mostly before my time though, so I don't have a personal connection to any potential candidate.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Even if you want to argue semantics about how a video game would require video output and therefore LCD based games don't count by definition, Smash's own definition absolutely includes them as part of it, with the precedent being Mr. Game & Watch.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
And Digimon would be far easier to negotiate than DBZ although Bandai Namco has worked on both franchises. I hope they would include Butterfly and Braveheart, but Toei would be headache to deal with. Even then, it would be less legal nightmare than manga/anime property.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If G&W counts, then those count.

But no, I don't need them in Smash. Unless it's just, like, spirits.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Digimon is a possibility of course. But I don't think it's the most popular of options anymore. It's hard to ignore it's influence because Nintendo cashed big time on Nintendogs too.

Also about the DBZ copyright stuff, yes it would be a nightmare, but this is Smash, and Goku would be insanely well received and would certainly cover the costs as DLC fighter. Even if he'd come without a stage and music. I find it hard to completely rule him out therefore, even if am NOT exited for the possibility at all.

I mean, Smash is starting to become the ultimate crossover, whoever owns DBZ knows that (there's probably more than one owner in this case right?). If they wanna top Ultimate, this would probably be the way, and again: I DO ACTIVELY NOT WANT THIS. But it seems like a great business and marketing deal, and capitalism still hasn't fallen yet.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If Sakurai would be going for an Anime/Manga character, it means he was able to get all the licensing done for every tiny little bit. No more, no less. And that's not easy. Very little chance of happening, but that's due to, well, too many costs. Would certainly make the cash back without any issues, especially if it's DLC.

Anyway, as for Digimon, etc. They're entirely video games from the start. They're just handheld versions, and has everything otherwise. Nice, simple gameplay, few buttons, etc. I definitely want to see Digimon in, and since it's a game series, there's tons of plausible Digimon that can show up(including WarGreymon, who is an obvious Spirit if not a plausible Final Smash). Very few Digimon even showed up outside of the games in the end(like Citrimon, a joke edit Digimon that was for the Data Squad dub only due to BomberNanimon being treated as way too close to terrorist attacks(and lots of episodes have been banned before for similar reasons on other anime/shows/etc).
you know funnily enough the original nanimon is based on a character from another virtual pet

i love how i opened the floor to all virtual pets and everyone focuses on digimon

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
you know funnily enough the original nanimon is based on a character from another virtual pet

i love how i opened the floor to all virtual pets and everyone focuses on digimon
That's because Digimon is the only virtual pet franchise that is still going strong. Digimon Ghost Game (new anime series) is still ongoing. Digimon Survive was released recently. It's the only one that has sizeable global fanbase. It's one of the most profitable franchises that Bandai Namco has.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's because Digimon is the only virtual pet franchise that is still going strong. Digimon Ghost Game (new anime series) is still ongoing. Digimon Survive was released recently. It's the only one that has sizeable global fanbase. It's one of the most profitable franchises that Bandai Namco has.
really? I thought they’d at least still be doing something with tamagotchi

Top Bottom