• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Stratos

Smash Ace
Two characters from M-rated video games that I would also like are Scorpion who is the mascot of the Mortal Kombat series and the company that owns it NetherRealm Studios and the other is Edward Carnby the protagonist of the Alone in the Dark series.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Funnily enough, I think it's Nintendo's own M Rated title Eternal Darkness, that could probably one of the best represented in Smash with the fewest content compromises. Other than emphasizing the non gun weapons (which would involve some cheating in letting her use the tools of other ED characters) Alexandra Roivas could basically appear as is, especially if spell casting was strongly highlighted.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd like to ask dr mario players something: was sakurai right in his estimation for smash 4 that you guys would have been annoyed if doc didn't play like he did in melee?
Definitely. I love how Dr. Mario plays compared to Mario. Not really a fan of it just being a palette swap(nor what Project M did, though I get why they did it). I like the differences, and he feels even better in 4 and Ultimate.

Of course, YMMV. Some don't care either.

My only annoyance is how a few echoes are barely unique when it comes to any clone stuff.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Definitely. I love how Dr. Mario plays compared to Mario. Not really a fan of it just being a palette swap(nor what Project M did, though I get why they did it). I like the differences, and he feels even better in 4 and Ultimate.

My only annoyance is how a few echoes are barely unique when it comes to any clone stuff.
YMMV?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

I think a good way to better differentiate the Echoes is to give them some of the previos custom moves of their parent fighters. For example, Lucina:
:GCB:: Dashing Assault
:GCL::GCR::GCB:: Effortless Blade (she'd use the forward, down and up attacks all at once, but she wouldn't be able to use a different combo)
:GCU::GCB:: Dolphin Jump
:GCD::GCB:: Iai Counter

And while I'm on Echoes, one I created from scratch (and I use that term loosely) is Celica from Fire Emblem Gaiden / Shadows of Valentia. She'd be an Echo of Robin who uses attacks from them, Marth and Roy all at once.

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
Also, just wanted to clarify: my wanting of more characters from M-rated/Pegi-16+ games isn’t because I think Nintendo only appeals to 6 year olds (I’ve never subscribed to that idiotic mindset and it thankfully stayed in the 2000s); it’s just that it seems like they’ve been a bit more lax about that kind of thing in recent years.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Was any of the Cruis'n games released in Japan?
Just askin'.
Cruis'n Blast has.

None of the other games have been released there, though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think a good way to better differentiate the Echoes is to give them some of the previos custom moves of their parent fighters. For example, Lucina:
:GCB:: Dashing Assault
:GCL::GCR::GCB:: Effortless Blade (she'd use the forward, down and up attacks all at once, but she wouldn't be able to use a different combo)
:GCU::GCB:: Dolphin Jump
:GCD::GCB:: Iai Counter

And while I'm on Echoes, one I created from scratch (and I use that term loosely) is Celica from Fire Emblem Gaiden / Shadows of Valentia. She'd be an Echo of Robin who uses attacks from them, Marth and Roy all at once.
To be honest, Lucina feels pretty good and unique due to the lack of a sweetspot, changing up the gameplan. I wouldn't mind a bit more, though. Dark Pit is somewhat unique, but there's also Dark Samus and Daisy who suffer far more.

Richter is the annoying one, as there's no customs to work off of. You can kind of work with Marth, Ike, and Lucina's previous customs to give something retooled to Chrom, at least(not that he really needs it, as he stands out better than Lucina).

Also, nice~

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Cruis’n? Is that one of those ones called something else over here
I wouldn't think so. Cruis'n is basically another one of Nintendo's racing game IPs with quite the legacy in arcades. Honestly, I'm a tad surprised Cruis'n STILL hasn't had any major representation in Smash, as 2-3 games have been released in Japan.

Cruis'n Blast has.

None of the other games have been released there, though.
Really? I thought Cruis'n Exotica was released there too.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I was really bad at that so I stuck to the T2 shooter and mk2

Speaking of MK2, I actually lost a friend over that game. I beat him 31 straight and every time the stage rotation got back to that underground smelting pit or whatever with a dragon logo hanging in the back. I would pick Liu Kang and do a double flawless animality... He was kicking and screaming and punching and kicking and screaming and my mom comes rushing in. What the **** are you doing right now It sounds like someone's dying and I'm like yep...today my friendship of 4 years dies.

And he apologized and stayed for dinner and we never played it again but played KI, Battle Arena Tosh. 2 and Soul Edge ... So I guess friends still after all because good friends don't let friends drive drunk err let video games come between them.

Unless she's this one chick in highschool that bodied me in MK on a Sega Genesis at a birthday party cause that annoyed me a lot. There was literally a super Nintendo hooked up to another TV 5 feet away with that console's crowd but we're they playing MK? Noooo SF2! "mortal Kombat is ok but this is better"

"I'll play you"

<Ha! I think to myself... Time to rack up some...>

Finish Him!

Wait.. I wasn't ready!

"Ok."

Finish Him!

Uh.. wow. You're really good at this...

"Thanks."

I gave up after 6 or 7 matches cause like ... Nah.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
What do you all think of a Cruis'n stage for Smash?
If nothing else let's get some Cruis'n music in Smash
90s goodness.

I wouldn't think so. Cruis'n is basically another one of Nintendo's racing game IPs with quite the legacy in arcades. Honestly, I'm a tad surprised Cruis'n STILL hasn't had any major representation in Smash, as 2-3 games have been released in Japan.
Cruis'n seems to be an IP that is basically almost third-party. It seems like it was mostly Midway's IP that Nintendo owned some licensing to, which is why the series is Nintendo-exclusive on consoles. I mean, Nintendo hasn't actually published a Cruis'n game themselves since the 64.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I hope for the return of Jack of Blades in the next Fable game. Mostly because I like both his design and the Sword of Aeons' but also because he could represent Fable in Smash. I'd maybe give him Skorm's Bow too so he could have some projectiles and it would serve as a wider representation of Fable. Gotta have the magic (Will) thrown in there too of course to hit the trifecta. Also his Final Smash writes itself. Turns into Dragon Jack of Blades for a ferocious flamethrower roar!

In fact **** it I want Jack of Blades now. New most-wanted for the list.
a47e2ce3d0e0cca953c94fb1739b1e32f24d81a8v2_hq.jpg

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'd like to ask dr mario players something: was sakurai right in his estimation for smash 4 that you guys would have been annoyed if doc didn't play like he did in melee?
I was actually annoyed that Mario didn't play like he did in Melee in Brawl, so if Doc was either an alt or separate but got FLUDD in Smash 4, that would've been an even bigger annoyance.

That said, I'm much more satisfied with Doc in Ultimate, as he along with Isabelle have introduced the unwritten concept of "dumping ground clones", which have moves that their template could potentially have but don't have any more room for.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
What is that?
Basically, it's a map of the various IPs Galeem's attack could potentially have decimated via their connection with series represented in Smash in some way, shape, or form, considering his attack is strongly implied to have wiped out entire alternate realities (going by the Legend of Zelda Spirits for example), as well as the time-space continuum (going by things like 'Young' Pit, Isaac's teenage and adult incarnations, King K. Rool's alter-egos and the Mario cast's younger selves).

Stratos

Smash Ace
Some of us thought Nintendo wouldn't make any more acquisitions, but today I read and learned that it has acquired Dynamo Pictures, a Japanese entertainment company that will be renamed Nintendo Pictures. The acquisition will be completed on October 3 2022. Since we're talking and writing about an animation company like Dynamo Pictures rebranding as Nintendo Pictures, it means we'll more easily see The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, etc. in movies?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Really? I thought Cruis'n Exotica was released there too.
oh, i was thinking of something different

it means we'll more easily see The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, etc. in movies?
let's hope not

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Why? It doesn't mean they'll stop being released as video games, if that's what you assuming.
I agree with Fogbadge on that. I'm really pessimistic about video game adaptations in movies, and I'd rather not see The Legend of Zelda butchered in any way.

Could be a success, of course, at least a commercial one. But I don't think so. I'd rather see good original movies than adaptations.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Why? It doesn't mean they'll stop being released as video games, if that's what you assuming.
lenidem is right. The movie they’re currently making has got disaster written all over it and I’d really prefer they’d stop

Stratos

Smash Ace
I agree with Fogbadge on that. I'm really pessimistic about video game adaptations in movies, and I'd rather not see The Legend of Zelda butchered in any way.

Could be a success, of course, at least a commercial one. But I don't think so. I'd rather see good original movies than adaptations.
lenidem is right. The movie they’re currently making has got disaster written all over it and I’d really prefer they’d stop
You're probably right.

Stratos

Smash Ace
The movie they’re currently making has got disaster written all over it and I’d really prefer they’d stop
I forgot to ask, do you mean that Mario movie which will be released on April 7, 2023?

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Honestly, the studio acquisition could be for eventual movies, but could also be for in game cutscenes or online animations to promote upcoming titles like Sega does for various Sonic titles.
This.

So while I'm not worried they'll pull a Square Pictures and try to make it into a full blown Hollywood studio, this does mean they're setting up to do more cgi in games so maybe this means the next console will be more powerful!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
(Apologies in advance as I’m running on less sleep than usual)

In terms of inclusions for the next game:

1. How would you feel if there were multiple characters from M-rated games added to the roster?

2. What hangups would there be about such a decision?
:ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultsnake: And that’s just in terms of the ESRB. Idk about foreign rating systems.

Honestly I don’t care. I think unless you had some sort of design that makes it impossible to work you into Smash I think that your rating in the esrb doesn’t matter. Dante, Doomslayer, Ryu Hayabusa, and Master Chief are all very popular smash requests from M rated games. You also have Resident Evil which is a juggernaut series that very easily could end up getting character representation.

In terms of any potential hang ups, it’s just Nintendo wanting to do Devil May Cry or Doom.They managed to make Bayonetta translate well into smash, they can within reason make something work if they set their minds to it. Smash is a celebration of gaming at this point, the onus on including a series is on Nintendo. There aren’t too many restrictions in that regard from what we know.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Two characters from M-rated video games that I would also like are Scorpion who is the mascot of the Mortal Kombat series and the company that owns it NetherRealm Studios and the other is Edward Carnby the protagonist of the Alone in the Dark series.
I'd love Conker. It would be amazing to see Diddy, Banjo and Conker in one game again after so long. Smash is the only possible way it'll ever happen.

But yeah I think his chances aren't too great. The most likely prospects from RARE right now are either Battletoads or a Killer Instinct character, and I think Battletoads are the more likely option out of the two.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Some of us thought Nintendo wouldn't make any more acquisitions,
Well I didn't say that. I'm a full believer in the acquisition wars and I think we have every reason to believe it's not over yet.

Actually this recent acquisition by Nintendo is very interesting and plays back into one of my earlier posts about SEGA being a potentially really good pick-up for Nintendo. If Nintendo can separate SEGA's entertainment division from the rest of the SEGASAMMY corporate structure then I think they'd really have something there. Hell maybe just force their way in by buying the SAMMY portion just to sell them off later.

With a purchase like this Nintendo would acquire a lot of useful stuff here. First and foremost some notable useful IP like Sonic, Shin Megami Tensei & Persona, Bayonetta, Super Monkey Ball (throw in the kongs it writes itself) Yakuza, Puyo Puyo, and Valkyria Chronicles. There's even more IP than that like Phantasy Star or ones with potential like Nights, Streets of Rage, Virtua Fighter and even the like of Shenmue maybe but Nintendo doesn't even realize of the potential of their own franchises so... Unless...

This brings me to my next point about SEGA being a massive workhorse that would up Nintendo's productive capacity by a lot. This would help them actually have games every year, all year round. No more waiting for another 2017. Long forgotten series get their time back in the sun again and we have a more diverse offering of first-party content to play. I'd also like to imagine that Nintendo could hopefully provide SEGA some much-needed direction but I think they're both hopeless in that regard.

Next this acquisition would also give Nintendo the rights to officially emulate SEGA's hardware for their retro-console streaming service as well as their controllers to sell as retro accessories for said service like they're already doing with the Genesis. On top of all that it'd give Nintendo a warchest of retro titles they wouldn't have to pay royalties for.

As an added bonus they get the rights to iconic classic SEGA music that fits right in with Nintendo's catalog.

Finally this'd give Nintendo a whole host of animation studios to aid them in their dreams of taking their IP to the big screen and streaming services. This one I'm not as sure about though. I know SEGASAMMY has TMS Entertainment who have been in the game since the 60's and they have a lot of subsidiaries but I'm not sure how productive they are or whether they're still even opened for business these days. I'm sure they likely are but I have no idea but I'm operating on Wikipedia knowledge here haha. There's also the added hassle of retooling these studios more towards Nintendo's goals which might not be possible in a realistic way. I think it could be done and working on Nintendo IP could have more mass appeal than the random animes they all currently do but I'm sure there's more to consider here than just mass appeal like previous contracts for example. It'd still be somewhat a gamble reshifting everything towards Nintendo's goals and meeting the "level of quality" that Nintendo supposedly demands might be an additional cost to them in both budget and hiring. I don't know. What I do know is that Nintendo doesn't like sharing their profits with anybody unless they have to and if they want to bring their IP to the big screen and streaming services they're gonna need to host their own animation studios in order to do it while sharing as little profits as possible.

Also SEGA has a little toy company I guess? I'm not sure what they do but I'm sure they could definitely be retooled to exclusively assist with Amiibo. It'd probably take some serious investment to get whatever operation is going on there geared towards this end but I think it'd be very possible nonetheless.

Oh and another challenge in potentially acquiring SEGA would be the 3 RTS developers they have. It'd be best for Nintendo to sell these studios to Microsoft to offset some of the cost. Maybe keep 1 for internal RTS games? Probably not but whatever it's just a suggestion and honestly it couldn't hurt to have 1 dedicated RTS crew on deck.

Anyways yeah that's why I think out of the major acquisitions that Nintendo could potentially get ahold of that SEGA would be the best one by far. Some people say Bamco and while that's definitely the second best one I think it'd still fall short and would come with its own host of challenges that I won't get into on this post.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well I didn't say that. I'm a full believer in the acquisition wars and I think we have every reason to believe it's not over yet.

Actually this recent acquisition by Nintendo is very interesting and plays back into one of my earlier posts about SEGA being a potentially really good pick-up for Nintendo. If Nintendo can separate SEGA's entertainment division from the rest of the SEGASAMMY corporate structure then I think they'd really have something there. Hell maybe just force their way in by buying the SAMMY portion just to sell them off later.

With a purchase like this Nintendo would acquire a lot of useful stuff here. First and foremost some notable useful IP like Sonic, Shin Megami Tensei & Persona, Bayonetta, Super Monkey Ball (throw in the kongs it writes itself) Yakuza, Puyo Puyo, and Valkyria Chronicles. There's even more IP than that like Phantasy Star or ones with potential like Nights, Streets of Rage, Virtua Fighter and even the like of Shenmue maybe but Nintendo doesn't even realize of the potential of their own franchises so... Unless...

This brings me to my next point about SEGA being a massive workhorse that would up Nintendo's productive capacity by a lot. This would help them actually have games every year, all year round. No more waiting for another 2017. Long forgotten series get their time back in the sun again and we have a more diverse offering of first-party content to play. I'd also like to imagine that Nintendo could hopefully provide SEGA some much-needed direction but I think they're both hopeless in that regard.

Next this acquisition would also give Nintendo the rights to officially emulate SEGA's hardware for their retro-console streaming service as well as their controllers to sell as retro accessories for said service like they're already doing with the Genesis. On top of all that it'd give Nintendo a warchest of retro titles they wouldn't have to pay royalties for.

As an added bonus they get the rights to iconic classic SEGA music that fits right in with Nintendo's catalog.

Finally this'd give Nintendo a whole host of animation studios to aid them in their dreams of taking their IP to the big screen and streaming services. This one I'm not as sure about though. I know SEGASAMMY has TMS Entertainment who have been in the game since the 60's and they have a lot of subsidiaries but I'm not sure how productive they are or whether they're still even opened for business these days. I'm sure they likely are but I have no idea but I'm operating on Wikipedia knowledge here haha. There's also the added hassle of retooling these studios more towards Nintendo's goals which might not be possible in a realistic way. I think it could be done and working on Nintendo IP could have more mass appeal than the random animes they all currently do but I'm sure there's more to consider here than just mass appeal like previous contracts for example. It'd still be somewhat a gamble reshifting everything towards Nintendo's goals and meeting the "level of quality" that Nintendo supposedly demands might be an additional cost to them in both budget and hiring. I don't know. What I do know is that Nintendo doesn't like sharing their profits with anybody unless they have to and if they want to bring their IP to the big screen and streaming services they're gonna need to host their own animation studios in order to do it while sharing as little profits as possible.

Also SEGA has a little toy company I guess? I'm not sure what they do but I'm sure they could definitely be retooled to exclusively assist with Amiibo. It'd probably take some serious investment to get whatever operation is going on there geared towards this end but I think it'd be very possible nonetheless.

Oh and another challenge in potentially acquiring SEGA would be the 3 RTS developers they have. It'd be best for Nintendo to sell these studios to Microsoft to offset some of the cost. Maybe keep 1 for internal RTS games? Probably not but whatever it's just a suggestion and honestly it couldn't hurt to have 1 dedicated RTS crew on deck.

Anyways yeah that's why I think out of the major acquisitions that Nintendo could potentially get ahold of that SEGA would be the best one by far. Some people say Bamco and while that's definitely the second best one I think it'd still fall short and would come with its own host of challenges that I won't get into on this post.
This post is a spectacular reminder of how we should all be thankful that acquisition fanboys have no sway on the industry or it would get even more dystopically monopolistic.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

SEGA, Namco-Bandai, Platinum Games, Playtonic, Capcom and Square would all be amazing acquisitions for Nintendo, but am not sure it will happen ever. There's also studios that are close to Nintendo owned as Monolith and Intelligent Systems that actually should be considered before they get a better deal somewhere else.

Thing is, the competitors just have that much more financial resources. It's almost an unfair fight and would potentially really hurt Nintendo, especially after the Switch being so great with 3rd party support.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

If you say Nintendo should buy out SEGA one more time I will break into your house and smash your kneecaps with a baseball bat

Top Bottom