• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I personally couldn’t stand Rex, Tora, or Poppi. The funny thing is that I love anime and JRPGs are my favorite genre but they were still too much for me. Still, I know every character has their fans like I said so I would have accepted Rex if he was chosen and not complain too much. After all, Steve was my least wanted and I was able to accept him and be happy for his fans.
I think tora was the least popular of all. And I think we all know why

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Alright, since at least someone enjoyed my Battletoads breakdown, I thought I'd share another again here. I've talked about this one before but I figured I might as well share my thoughts on the character again here. I realize that there is a lot of controversy at the moment with Activision/Blizzard, but if Microsoft is able to work out the company's internal issues, I think Kerrigan would be an amazing choice and is actually a strong contender for a spot in Smash.

Sarah Kerrigan
"I am the Swarm. Armies will be shattered. Worlds will burn. Now at last, on this world, vengeance shall be mine. For I am the Queen of Blades."

Sarah Kerrigan (PANSUP KIM).jpg

Artist: PANSUP KIM

Introduction

StarCraft is a science fiction real time franchise developed by Blizzard Entertainment. While the series is mostly known for being a PC game, the original game did release on the Nintendo 64 as StarCraft 64 in 2000. The franchise received a sequel in 2010 which spawned several expansions. It remains one of the most popular and influential games in its genre to this day.

StarCraft was a pioneer in E-Sports and was the first major game to popularize the field. Competitive gaming as a whole may not be where it is today if StarCraft had not had the impact it did back in the late 90's and early 00's. Even today, the community is still going strong and keeping the competitive scene alive. It is particularly popular in South Korea where competitive StarCraft players are seen as celebrities and even entire towns become known thanks to being the home of some of these players. I may personally not be into competitive gaming myself, but I really appreciate StarCraft's impact on gaming history. It and WarCraft were also a huge inspiration in the wildly popular League of Legends series which is taking the world by storm.

Who is Sarah Kerrigan?

Prior to her infestation, Sarah Kerrigan began as a psychic terran soldier known as a ghost operative. During a mission, Kerrigan was abandoned by her superior, Arcturus Mengsk, when things began to look bad and was left to die. Instead, Kerrigan became infested by an alien insectoid race known as the Zerg and became one of them. In time, Kerrigan rose to become the leader of the entire Zerg race and swore revenge on the one who betrayed her.

Why Kerrigan would be great for Smash

Kerrigan is an iconic character that would offer a lot to a game like Smash Bros. For one, she is both a female and a villain, two things which Smash is still lacking (but are definitely catching up with Ultimate). I believe Sarah Kerrigan is the best character to represent the RTS genre due to her ability to control the Zerg. RTS games are all about resource management and creating an army of units to crush the opponent's base. This is something I think Kerrigan can utilize in Smash. Starcraft also really meshes well with the Metroid universe and would make for some really cool interactions if there is any kind of story mode in future games if she returns.

Potential Moveset:
Special Traits / Other:
Kerrigan would be the first true summoner character in Smash. All of her special attacks other than Psionic Shift summon various Zerg units to aid her in battle. In order to balance this, I decided to incorporate an element of resource management similar to her home series.

Vespian Gas - As the battle goes on, Kerrigan builds up resources that she can spend to use all of her special attacks minus Psionic Shift (which doesn’t cost anything since it is her recovery move). Being a simple attack, Zergling Rush attack uses the least amount of gas while the Hydralisk/Defiler/Mutalisk uses the most. She initially starts with 0 Vespian Gas but builds it up gradually as the battle goes on. The way this works in Starcraft is you have units called Drones (for the Zerg at least) traveling to mining points and bringing back Minerals and Vespian Gas to your base which you use as a currency to construct buildings and units. To simplify things for Smash, I cut it down to just Vespian Gas. I think it would be a nice touch to represent this by have some Drones (pictured below) in the background gathering resources by moving around, similar to Pokemon Trainer. If Kerrigan tries to summon a Zerg without sufficient Vespian Gas, there will a be a disembodied voice of the Overmind stating "We require more Vespian Gas".

Drone (Luke Mancini).jpg

Weak Attacks:
A Combo – Chain Reaction
Kerrigan attacks with a flow of electricity. Like Megaman’s A combo, this is a projectile attack and deals no knockback. In multiplayer, the electricity can flow to other nearby enemies if they are close enough.

Forward Tilt – Kinetic Blast
A small short range explosion from her hand

Up Tilt – Razor Swarm
Kerrigan sends out several mini shockwaves diagonally upwards

Down Tilt
A low claw swipe

Running A
A running double claw swipe

Smash Attacks:
Forward Smash - Ravage
Kerrigan lunges forward and stabs the opponent with her wings.

Up Smash
Kerrigan thrusts her wings upward and stabs above her

Down Smash – Impaling Blades
Kerrigan slams the ground causing spikes to rise from the ground on both sides

Specials:
Neutral B – Hydralisk /Defiler / Mutalisk (pictured from left to right)
Similar to Dedede’s original side B that summoned Waddle Dees, Kerrigan summons one of a variety of Zerg units that wander along the battlefield and attack opponents. The hydralisk is the most basic of these. They travel along the ground and attack any opponent nearby. The defiler doesn’t actively attack but instead inflicts various status effects on anyone that gets too close with a cloud of poisonous gas. Finally, the mutalisk flies through the air and attacks any airborne opponents in its range.

Hydralisk (Luke Mancini).jpg
Defiler (Luke Mancini).jpg
Mutalisk (Luke Mancini).jpg

Forward B (Grounded) – Zergling Rush (pictured on the left)
Kerrigan summons a pair of Zerglings to rise from the ground and charge forward for a bit before diving back into the ground.

Forward B (Aerial) – Scourge (pictured on the right)
If performed in the air, Kerrigan hatches a pair of Scourge who fly forward and explode into any opponent they touch.

Zergling (Luke Mancini).jpg
Scourge (Luke Mancini).jpg

Up B – Psionic Shift
Kerrigan surrounds herself in energy then dashes in the chosen direction, damaging anyone she touches

Down B - Lurker
Similar to Snake’s mine attack, Kerrigan summons a Lurker to burrow in the ground right next to her. Anyone who walks over this location is attacked with a rising spike attack for a short while. Like the Hydralisk, only one Lurker can be summoned at a time.

Lurker (Luke Mancini).jpg

Grabs:
Grab
Kerrigan impales the opponent with her wings

Pummel
Kerrigan grabs the opponent’s face and shocks it with energy

Forward Throw
Kerrigan kicks her opponent forward

Back Throw
A simple toss backward

Up Throw
Kerrigan throws her opponent upwards followed by a quick lightning attack

Down Throw
Kerrigan slams her opponent into the ground

Aerial Attacks:
Neutral A
Kerrigan surrounds herself with electric energy and attacks around her, much like Mewtwo

Forward A
A forward claw swipe

Back A
A backward thrust kick

Up A
A somersault kick

Down A – Quantum Ray
Shoots a beam of energy diagonally downward

Final Smash: Apocalypse
Kerrigan surrounds herself in a radius of energy. Any opponent that comes within range is struck by an explosion which triggers a cinematic cutscene. This scene mimics the final few seconds of the Betrayal on Kerrigan scene. After landing the initial strike, the opponent is transported to a ruined planet where he or she is surrounded by zergs on all sides. As they reach the target, the screen turns to black. It then returns to the normal battle screen and the opponent takes massive damage and knockback.

What music could Kerrigan bring?
There are lots of great options for songs but I particularly love all the Terran themes. Here are a few songs that I think would be amazing in Smash:

I haven't played any StarCraft myself, but I know of its legacy. How important and influential it was for video games. And it has appeared on a Nintendo console with StaCraft 64. So it has that going for it as well. And unlike Diablo, it has obvious choices for who could be playable in Smash.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think tora was the least popular of all. And I think we all know why
I can agree with that. I personally believe that Nia was by far the best written character in the game. Even other characters I liked, like Zeke relied way too much on tropes and ended up just feeling like a generic chuunibyou. Mythra kind of just felt like a typical tsundere character to me. Nia actually felt like a fleshed out character with her own likable personality which is why she easily became my favorite.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No, the one who said the reason Terry was added was because Sakurai and the Fatal Fury creator were secretly gay lovers.

Man, I feel dirty just typing that...
really? Geez

I can agree with that. I personally believe that Nia was by far the best written character in the game. Even other characters I liked, like Zeke relied way too much on tropes and ended up just feeling like a generic chuunibyou. Mythra kind of just felt like a typical tsundere character to me. Nia actually felt like a fleshed out character with her own likable personality which is why she easily became my favorite.
I feel that’s a common problem with jrpgs, characters being more trope than characters I mean

Gengar84

Smash Hero
really? Geez

I feel that’s a common problem with jrpgs, characters being more trope than characters I mean
For some reason, I’ve never had a problem with this with any other game until Xenoblade 2 despite playing tons of JRPGs over the years. I think most other games still do rely on tropes but Xenoblade 2’s characters seemed like that was the only trait they had. I think part of the problem is that the tropes that Xenoblade 2 decided to go with, like Zeke being a chuunibyou are so far removed from what a normal person would act like that it makes the trope more noticeable. That particular trope has a lot of very specific behaviors that tend to make all the characters within it feel the same and not like their own person.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
For some reason, I’ve never had a problem with this with any other game until Xenoblade 2 despite playing tons of JRPGs over the years. I think most other games still do rely on tropes but Xenoblade 2’s characters seemed like that was the only trait they had.
I can certainly think of a few who I would say say fall into this as well

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I can certainly think of a few who I would say say fall into this as well
I can think of Owain from Fire Emblem and Gladion from Pokémon that also fit that. In Owain’s case, he felt fresh and original to me personally despite being a trope because I had never heard of that trope beforehand. Zeke basically just felt like a copy of Owain. I still liked Zeke but he didn’t really feel like his own character. Pokémon almost never has compelling characters so Gladion gets a pass. I play Pokémon for the Pokémon themselves, not the story or trainers.

Still, I don’t want to give off the impression of being too down on Xenoblade 2. While I wasn’t a fan of a few characters, story elements, or fan-servicey Blade designs and RNG methods of obtaining them, I still thought the game was a ton of fun overall. I loved exploring the world. The battles were fun once I finally got used to them and the soundtrack is among my favorites in any video game.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Somehow, I detect a bit of sarcasm in that post. Do you not agree that she is deserving for Smash? They toned down her sexualization a lot in the reboot so she’s not really in the same class as Bayo anymore. I’d honestly argue that she was always more tame than Bayo, Pythra, Cia, or Camilla. Even before she existed, I’d argue that Cammy and Black Orchid were both more sexualized than Lara.
Lara has never been more sexual than Bayo or Pyra/Mythra ever. Lara competes against 2B for next Square rep, but imo, Lara has more interesting moveset potential. 2B's only advantage is Japanese bias.

I haven't played any StarCraft myself, but I know of its legacy. How important and influential it was for video games. And it has appeared on a Nintendo console with StaCraft 64. So it has that going for it as well. And unlike Diablo, it has obvious choices for who could be playable in Smash.
Eh... full disagree. Blizzard dev actually pointed out Diablo himself as rep for Diablo, not other classes. I would say Starcraft has bit murkier issue. Sure, Kerrigan comes out top, but there are characters like Zeratul or Jim Rayner or Artanis.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, I personally feel like most of the Smash community zeroes in on a few characters as the only possible choices to represent their company. While Crash, DOOM, and Halo are definitely iconic and worthy of joining Smash, I would argue they aren’t any more so than StarCraft or WarCraft. Both franchises have had a huge impact on gaming history and have a ton of very recognizable characters with very unique designs and abilities to pull from. I’d personally put both StarCraft and WarCraft above Crash in terms of importance to gaming as a whole and on par with DOOM and Halo. Crash was popular but I don’t think his series ever had the same impact as the other four. His biggest claim was his position as PS1’s mascot along with Lara Croft. He’s still definitely a worthy contender but I personally put him below Blizzard’s major IP.

As far as Square-Enix goes, I’d honestly put Lara Croft at the number one spot if we’re going by the criteria of gaming all-stars with a huge legacy. My personal choice would be Magus from Chrono Trigger but Lara is much more generally recognizable. Most Smash fans seem to gravitate towards 2B or Geno as the main options left. Like Crash, Lara was also positioned as PS1’s mascot and has had a successful reboot in modern times. She has even had multiple Hollywood films and has a much longer legacy than 2B but she is still somehow overlooked by most Smash fans for some reason. The only potential things I see holding her back is her use of realistic pistols and being a western character.

At the end of the day, people are free to talk about whoever they want and I’m not trying to shut down discussion for anyone that wants a commonly requested character. After all, the characters are commonly requested for a reason. I’m just trying to broaden people’s scope to other options.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I can think of Owain from Fire Emblem and Gladion from Pokémon that also fit that. In Owain’s case, he felt fresh and original to me personally despite being a trope because I had never heard of that trope beforehand. Zeke basically just felt like a copy of Owain. I still liked Zeke but he didn’t really feel like his own character. Pokémon almost never has compelling characters so Gladion gets a pass. I play Pokémon for the Pokémon themselves, not the story or trainers.

Still, I don’t want to give off the impression of being too down on Xenoblade 2. While I wasn’t a fan of a few characters, story elements, or fan-servicey Blade designs and RNG methods of obtaining them, I still thought the game was a ton of fun overall. I loved exploring the world. The battles were fun once I finally got used to them and the soundtrack is among my favorites in any video game.
no i meant characters who fell into tropes rather than characters

also I don’t think anyone plays Pokémon for the characters

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
This kinda pooped outta nowhere.
That’s really interesting but I have no idea what that could possibly be. Bandai Namco has worked on several Pokémon spin-offs lately, maybe an action based Pokémon game?

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Yeah, I personally feel like most of the Smash community zeroes in on a few characters as the only possible choices to represent their company. While Crash, DOOM, and Halo are definitely iconic and worthy of joining Smash, I would argue they aren’t any more so than StarCraft or WarCraft. Both franchises have had a huge impact on gaming history and have a ton of very recognizable characters with very unique designs and abilities to pull from. I’d personally put both StarCraft and WarCraft above Crash in terms of importance to gaming as a whole and on par with DOOM and Halo. Crash was popular but I don’t think his series ever had the same impact as the other four. His biggest claim was his position as PS1’s mascot along with Lara Croft. He’s still definitely a worthy contender but I personally put him below Blizzard’s major IP.

As far as Square-Enix goes, I’d honestly put Lara Croft at the number one spot if we’re going by the criteria of gaming all-stars with a huge legacy. My personal choice would be Magus from Chrono Trigger but Lara is much more generally recognizable. Most Smash fans seem to gravitate towards 2B or Geno as the main options left. Like Crash, Lara was also positioned as PS1’s mascot and has had a successful reboot in modern times. She has even had multiple Hollywood films and has a much longer legacy than 2B but she is still somehow overlooked by most Smash fans for some reason. The only potential things I see holding her back is her use of realistic pistols and being a western character.

At the end of the day, people are free to talk about whoever they want and I’m not trying to shut down discussion for anyone that wants a commonly requested character. After all, the characters are commonly requested for a reason. I’m just trying to broaden people’s scope to other options.
On Square Enix, I'd actually say Crono probably has the best shot. But Lara shouldn't be far behind. Chrono Trigger is definitely a big legacy title and is often considered one of the greatest games of all time. He would make a lot of sense. Personal preferences, Crono, Terra, and Kefka are my most preferred SE reps, but Lara should probably get in before anyone else besides Crono. But you never know.

I've mentioned this before, but if we talk about other western franchises and companies with legacy, then Valve is a massive one. Various Valve franchises have made major contributions to gaming. Some more than others. And they can't be ignored either. And with the Portal games coming to Switch, Nintendo finally has a piece of that. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually get a rep in there. Gordon makes the most sense to me being Mr. Valve and from the franchise that put the company on the map, though fans do really want Heavy, and it's easy to see why. TF2 is also my favorite multiplayer game ever, so I'm on that train as well. Chell seems like a complicated character to make work in Smash, but who knows. Sakurai could potentially make it work.

And yeah, people can want whatever they want, but I too would like them to look at Smash inclusions at a broader level. Almost nothing from gaming is off the table.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
So assuming this is a remake/remaster of an old 3D action game, would it be a game from N64/Gamecube/Wii era? Or maybe Nintendo DS? But to be fair, it never said it was a remake/remaster for a Nintendo game. So this will be very interesting to see what they are doing.
That being said, looking at what the job requirements are mostly for, there appears to be a big focus on backgrounds in particular, with a semi-focus on level design/areas and whatnot. Is this a game that had a particular focus on or had very notable environments? I guess when I think something with notable areas or environments where the backgrounds would be important, Pikmin comes to mind. But as I said, it may not even be a remake for a Nintendo game.

Although admittingly, I hope it's Custom Robo. Or something else notable like Donkey Kong 64.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
On Square Enix, I'd actually say Crono probably has the best shot. But Lara shouldn't be far behind. Chrono Trigger is definitely a big legacy title and is often considered one of the greatest games of all time. He would make a lot of sense. Personal preferences, Crono, Terra, and Kefka are my most preferred SE reps, but Lara should probably get in before anyone else besides Crono. But you never know.

I've mentioned this before, but if we talk about other western franchises and companies with legacy, then Valve is a massive one. Various Valve franchises have made major contributions to gaming. Some more than others. And they can't be ignored either. And with the Portal games coming to Switch, Nintendo finally has a piece of that. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually get a rep in there. Gordon makes the most sense to me being Mr. Valve and from the franchise that put the company on the map, though fans do really want Heavy, and it's easy to see why. TF2 is also my favorite multiplayer game ever, so I'm on that train as well. Chell seems like a complicated character to make work in Smash, but who knows. Sakurai could potentially make it work.

And yeah, people can want whatever they want, but I too would like them to look at Smash inclusions at a broader level. Almost nothing from gaming is off the table.
Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time so any representation would be awesome even if I would personally prefer Magus. I’d be happy with Crono if he had a moveset built around dual techs that incorporated his party members. Crono by himself is a little plain and has a lot of visual similarities with Hero so I’d generally prefer someone like Magus or Frog as a stand-alone even if they’re a lot less likely.

I think Chell could make for a really cool and unique fighter. I imagine one of her specials could fire a portal that basically works like a temporary warp point Stage Builder. I had a very similar idea for my Magus moveset.

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
This is interesting to say the least.
I already made some modifications to my prediction roster since I last posted it, but depending on what this project turns out to be, I imagine this will heavily influence my predictions as well, considering Bandai-Namco is directly involved.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here’s a question for everyone: Has Sakurai ever made any comment on whether Smash could potentially return to a T rating in the future? I ask because there are some characters that I think would be really cool to see in Smash that would be difficult to make work for an E rating such as Nemesis from Resident Evil. Even the human characters might be tricky with an E rating with their realistic firearms.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Oh no, they might be willing to acknowledge the meme. What if they take it a step further and add him to Smash as the most broken character in the history of the series?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Here’s a question for everyone: Has Sakurai ever made any comment on whether Smash could potentially return to a T rating in the future? I ask because there are some characters that I think would be really cool to see in Smash that would be difficult to make work for an E rating such as Nemesis from Resident Evil. Even the human characters might be tricky with an E rating with their realistic firearms.

There's this about his dislike for CERO and their strictness...

Didn't really find anything specifically regarding the ESRB but it's clear that he preferred to keep the game's rating as is, going so far as to spend lots of dev time to accomplish a less sexualized render for Palutena etc. Joker having a gun move didn't raise the rating. I think it's possible to implement any character really. Nemesis is probably just not the same level of icon to RE that say Jill, Chris or Leon have (I'd love Jill or Wesker tho).

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Everyone on Twitter is saying Kid Icarus...
It's probably because Sakurai has worked with Bandai-Namco for Smash. Sakurai's recent comments that he's working on something also sparked some rumors.

But even though it makes sense on paper, there's so many things this could be and it's probably not worth thinking too hard about...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

There's this about his dislike for CERO and their strictness...

Didn't really find anything specifically regarding the ESRB but it's clear that he preferred to keep the game's rating as is, going so far as to spend lots of dev time to accomplish a less sexualized render for Palutena etc. Joker having a gun move didn't raise the rating. I think it's possible to implement any character really. Nemesis is probably just not the same level of icon to RE that say Jill, Chris or Leon have (I'd love Jill or Wesker tho).
i don’t think sakurais in any position to call other people juvenile

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
While I do like Chrono Trigger, and do recognize its status as a long-standing classic, if I'm being honest, I'd view it more as potentially getting the same treatment as Trials of Mana and Bravely Default: they run a Spirit Board event and call it a day. MAYBE Crono could get a Mii Swordfighter costume, but I'm not sure about a playable character.

As for that job listing, I'm one of several who's hoping it's that long-awaited Switch port of Kid Icarus Uprising.

Well, keep in mind that the series has always been CERO A in Japan (equivalent to ESRB E). The series has only been T and E10+ in the states due to "comedic violence", which America seems to be a bit less tolerant of (this could also explain the American Mii trailers' refusal to acknowledge the franchise that certain costumes come from, something that the Japanese trailers don't avoid). As far as Japan's concerned, CERO's main restriction is sexuality (especially noticeable with Bayonetta, Pyra, and Mythra). In terms of violence, CERO B would probably allow for more gruesome and bloody acts, but I really don't see that fitting with Smash, and staying at A keeps the game fairly accessible to all audiences. Incidentally, it's not as though they don't try to make the game accessible overseas (notice that the series lowered from T to E10+ just as soon as the latter rating was introduced; it really does just come down to an innevitable consequence of the series' reliance on slapstick violence).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
While I do like Chrono Trigger, and do recognize its status as a long-standing classic, if I'm being honest, I'd view it more as potentially getting the same treatment as Trials of Mana and Bravely Default: they run a Spirit Board event and call it a day. MAYBE Crono could get a Mii Swordfighter costume, but I'm not sure about a playable character.

As for that job listing, I'm one of several who's hoping it's that long-awaited Switch port of Kid Icarus Uprising.

Well, keep in mind that the series has always been CERO A in Japan (equivalent to ESRB E). The series has only been T and E10+ in the states due to "comedic violence", which America seems to be a bit less tolerant of (this could also explain the American Mii trailers' refusal to acknowledge the franchise that certain costumes come from, something that the Japanese trailers don't avoid). As far as Japan's concerned, CERO's main restriction is sexuality (especially noticeable with Bayonetta, Pyra, and Mythra). In terms of violence, CERO B would probably allow for more gruesome and bloody acts, but I really don't see that fitting with Smash, and staying at A keeps the game fairly accessible to all audiences. Incidentally, it's not as though they don't try to make the game accessible overseas (notice that the series lowered from T to E10+ just as soon as the latter rating was introduced; it really does just come down to an innevitable consequence of the series' reliance on slapstick violence).
Yeah, I think it’s mostly just Nemesis’ design that might cause issues with an E rating. His moveset wouldn’t really have to be gruesome at all. In fact, his moveset is probably more E friendly than the human characters since he primarily uses a giant rocket launcher instead of more common pistols and shotguns. He’s been shown to at least work for a T rating in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. The human characters would be cool too but I’ve always liked the idea of an actual zombie representing the Resident Evil games.

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I think it’s mostly just Nemesis’ design that might cause issues with an E rating. His moveset wouldn’t really have to be gruesome at all. In fact, his moveset is probably more E friendly than the human characters since he primarily uses a giant rocket launcher instead of more common pistols and shotguns. He’s been shown to at l ast work for a T rating in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. The human characters would be cool too but I’ve always liked the idea of an actual zombie representing the Resident Evil games.
I don't think CERO has much of a problem with grotesque designs in the context of zombies. I mean, have you seen some of the monsters in Dragon Quest?

Attachments

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Bandai Namco doing a potential 3D action game remake? Clearly, Nintendo's decided that they're done remaking SNES Star Fox and/or 64 over and over and...

...will be remaking Star Fox Assault instead.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
well from what i can recall the vast majority were in favour of rex for rex and only a small for rex for pythra. and i defiantly recall the topic of them being unlikely of being on the stage at the same time coming up
Well when raising 'Rex' the majority of people were expecting some sort of Rex/Pyra dual implementation, they just used the shorthand of Rex like people do for Banjo when they're really referring to Banjo & Kazooie.

Everyone on Twitter is saying Kid Icarus...
That's the one people are hoping for, but '3D action game' is a pretty wide net to cast.

That said, I don't think it's Zelda, Mario or Metroid, since they seem to have other teams for those remasters/remakes/ports. Could be KI or Star Fox.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh? I don't really know much about him beyond the various famitsu articles. Can you elaborate?
it was just joke about my own perceived childishness of him and the fact that he made a child friendly video game series

Well when raising 'Rex' the majority of people were expecting some sort of Rex/Pyra dual implementation, they just used the shorthand of Rex like people do for Banjo when they're really referring to Banjo & Kazooie.
like i said we did talk about how practical it would be for them to be together. also speak for yourself i call them B&K

Quillion

Smash Hero
Bandai Namco doing a potential 3D action game remake? Clearly, Nintendo's decided that they're done remaking SNES Star Fox and/or 64 over and over and...

...will be remaking Star Fox Assault instead.
That... would actually be a good idea. I'm of the opinion that Assault just needed less slippery movement and oversensitive aiming controls, and it would be a solid, if short, game. This ain't an inherent structural problem like Skyward Sword's haphazardly implemented backtracking that only a ground-up remake can solve.

Plus, Assault has the best multiplayer in the series, so they can add online to that.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
My personal hope for a SFA remake would involve a few more shooter levels and putting back in multiple paths; just basically building up on top of the solid foundation that is there to give it a bit more replayability.

Quillion

Smash Hero
My personal hope for a SFA remake would involve a few more shooter levels and putting back in multiple paths; just basically building up on top of the solid foundation that is there to give it a bit more replayability.
That would be too outside the scope of a remake, unfortunately.

Anyway. what's Grezzo doing right now? I'd be in favor of them developing a single A-level Zelda game to make up for the BotW sequel's delay.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m personally hoping for Kid Icarus Uprising. I’ve heard great things about the game and I love a lot of the character designs, particularly Medusa’s. I bought it on the 3DS but I could never get used to the controls and I’m not a big handheld gamer to begin with. A remake on the Switch with better controls would give me another chance to try it out and could help Medusa’s chances of getting in the next Smash as she’s one of my most wanted first party characters left.

Top Bottom