• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I found the Fate animes to be less erotic/fanservicy than Senran Kagura but I could actually support either in terms of Smash inclusion. I thoroughly enjoyed both, very entertaining. Of course as stated Fate started as a visual novel. In 2004 it was released as an adult game on PC. Senran Kagura on the other hand started as a video game released for 3DS. So from that perspective I would say it has a better chance to get the Smash treatment but I'd be cool with either.

As far as m rated material x Smash I remember thinking when Castlevania the animated series came out on Netflix being surprised at how adult it was with gratuitous swearing and whatnot but that didn't keep Richter and Simon from being playable in Ultimate so it seems unlikely that adult oriented content would pose a problem for prospects in Smash unless we're talking strictly Adult (nc17 etc) characters/games/sources.
To be fair, that's wholly different circumstance.

Castlevania Netflix is just an interpretation of in-game events, not actual canon to the game chronology. As far as Sakurai, Nintendo, and Smash is concerned, the only thing that is referenced are game material unlike Sephiroth's FF7 Advent Children representation which is stated as canon and referenced multiple times.

That said, with regards to Fate, I don't particularly see it as likely, but I don't see the original game having sex scenes being that much of a hurdle considering the vast majority of the franchise's aesthetic has more to do with historical/mythological figures fighting in modern day and there'd be no reason or way to call attention to those scenes. After all, it's not like Persona 5 called attention to the fact that one of its collectible monsters is a giant green penis riding atop a chariot or literally Satan. Fate is one of the largest multi-media franchises in Japan so if they really wanted they could even call attention to a specific spinoff game and not the original V/N in any way.

Comparatively speaking, someone like Bayonetta who is much more flagrant with her sexuality and provocative dancing which involves stripping makes it through just fine.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Color me skeptical about Konami being Sony's acquisition. I mean there is good long-term value from their IP's to the latter, however the former would not only cost a lot, but a decent portion of their assets is in stuff like clubs, gambling machines, and other non-video game departments wihich Sony would have to take if they did a full-blown purchase. And even the division that Sony would be most interested in would take a good while to really pay dividends.

Its a bit of a buried story, but Konami is making some very good money in gaming... with modest mid-level releases predominantly focused on the Japanese market. The AAA scene in the West they've entirely abandoned, with collections and the occasional thing like Super Bomberman R put out to get token profits from North America & Europe. There appears to be an overall mindset that putting money into a high-profile Metal Gear or Silent Hill release is unnecessary if they can put out eBaseball and Yu-Gi-Oh titles that will cost far less while still making bank.

And on top of that they've gone all in on the Switch in a number of ways, likely because it's dominating their home market so much. To put in perspective how well that's worked out for them, the best-selling Konami published game in Japan isn't Contra, SH, MGS, or any of the IP's well known to Western audiences. Its Momotaro Dentesu for Switch, which has sold 3.5 million copies and is neck and neck with Monster Hunter Rise for the best-selling third party Switch title in Japan.

Granted Sony could make some decent money long term from the Konami franchises they could get it, it's just that the latter company's strengths and gaming infrastructure at the moment are entirely at odds with the former's seeming position in the market (bigger budget AAA games that do major numbers in the West while slowly losing what little numbers they have in Japan thanks to the Switch's dominance).

I'm sure it could happen, but there are probably other companies Sony could pick up that will be more of an immediate advantage.
Thank you! A lot of people go on about Konami as if they're a failed company just because of the mistreatment of some (not all) of their bigger IPs (and I guess their fallout with Kojima), but they still have a lot of success in other areas. Really, the whole argument is almost on the same level as saying that Nintendo's dying because they haven't had a hit Star Fox or F-Zero game in so long.

I’m fine with pretty much anything in Smash. I think basically anything can be toned down to an acceptable level in order to fit. It’s probably just my bias talking but I feel like Conker is almost a unique case. Almost his entire appeal is the fact that he’s a cute animal mascot who gets drunk and swears. Remove the alcohol and swearing and he’s just another cute animal mascot.
To be fair, Conker DID start out as just another cute animal mascot. And for what it's worth, Japan didn't even get Bad Fur Day until the Live & Reloaded remake, and later Rare Replay. Considering the bad market for the Xbox over there, that audience seems far more likely to recognize Conker as that guy from Diddy Kong Racing than his own series (though granted, that would only support your argument to NOT have Conker in Smash at all, since he's far less relevant).

The only reason the sex scenes were added was because back then, they were expected to have them since a bunch of other popular VNs did it, like Clannad, and the publishers didn't think it would sell without them.
Actually, I think Clannad was the first Key Visual Arts release to NOT have explicit sex (though this would change with the game's sequel, Tomoyo After).

Though I gotta say, I'm kinda against Saber myself..... not so much because she derives from adult media (if anything, I'd be intrigued to see this ruling eventually broken, especially as the Switch has been getting plenty of games that started out as hentai, albeit they're bowdlerized versions), but mostly because she just doesn't seem like she'd be that interesting of a character. Hell, as much as Type-Moon does its damnedest to push her (and her dozen or so variants), it seems to me like there's significant division within her series' own fanbase between interest in her and the first games' other two main girls, Rin and Sakura (likely a big reason as to why the Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel routes would eventually get their own anime adaptations), as well as a pretty significant spin-off fanbase for Illya, and even the male Archer (anyone remember the "GAR" meme from a few years back?). But I'm mostly an outsider looking into this fandom, so don't take my word for it.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Though I gotta say, I'm kinda against Saber myself..... not so much because she derives from adult media (if anything, I'd be intrigued to see this ruling eventually broken, especially as the Switch has been getting plenty of games that started out as hentai, albeit they're bowdlerized versions), but mostly because she just doesn't seem like she'd be that interesting of a character. Hell, as much as Type-Moon does its damnedest to push her (and her dozen or so variants), it seems to me like there's significant division within her series' own fanbase between interest in her and the first games' other two main girls, Rin and Sakura (likely a big reason as to why the Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel routes would eventually get their own anime adaptations), as well as a pretty significant spin-off fanbase for Illya, and even the male Archer (anyone remember the "GAR" meme from a few years back?). But I'm mostly an outsider looking into this fandom, so don't take my word for it.
Saber would be chosen because of one, the series focus on Servants and Saber being the main flagship Servant character. Two, because she's the favorite of the two main creators of Type Moon. Three, while Rin and Sakura are very popular, Saber has consistently been in the Top 3 Most popular Fate characters and especially the Top 3 Female characters in magazine polls, sometimes getting 1st multiple times in a row.
The only reason why they don't focus on her alot on spin-offs is that they consider her 'Story' finished for the most part. And that she doesn't need to be involved in every story/event/etc, hence why some of her variants are different characters(or alternate history selves). And part on why her route hasn't been re-done since the 2000s anime is because the main writer for Fate/Stay Night wants to do some re-working on her route.
Just because the other girls are also popular and they don't focus on her in other titles like Grand Order or whatnot does not mean she won't be chosen. She's the creators' favorite, she's the flagship character, she is still incredibly popular, more often than the other girls, and very often she's been the character people choose, including the JP fanbase, for Smash Bros.

As for her moveset, she has more besides being a sword fighter that fires a massive light beam. She has wind manipulation that can hide her weapon range as well as be used for jet propulsion, for speed and for attacking. And we don't have any fighters that have wind attacks as a focus.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Just want to chime in here to say that I hope that, whoever are the newcomers in the next Smash, I hope that they're designed like the newcomers of 64 and Melee, with basic melee attacks for their normals and their "iconic abilities" for their specials.

I've said this a few times before, but I really dislike how the Smash 4-on newcomers seem to prioritize cramming as much "wacky moves" as possible at the cost of intuitive moveset design. If it were up to me, I would love to see the Smash 4 and Ultimate veterans be simplified/streamlined to be as simple as the 64 and Melee characters in their moveset designs.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Saber would be chosen because of one, the series focus on Servants and Saber being the main flagship Servant character. Two, because she's the favorite of the two main creators of Type Moon. Three, while Rin and Sakura are very popular, Saber has consistently been in the Top 3 Most popular Fate characters and especially the Top 3 Female characters in magazine polls, sometimes getting 1st multiple times in a row.
The only reason why they don't focus on her alot on spin-offs is that they consider her 'Story' finished for the most part. And that she doesn't need to be involved in every story/event/etc, hence why some of her variants are different characters(or alternate history selves). And part on why her route hasn't been re-done since the 2000s anime is because the main writer for Fate/Stay Night wants to do some re-working on her route.
Just because the other girls are also popular and they don't focus on her in other titles like Grand Order or whatnot does not mean she won't be chosen. She's the creators' favorite, she's the flagship character, she is still incredibly popular, more often than the other girls, and very often she's been the character people choose, including the JP fanbase, for Smash Bros.

As for her moveset, she has more besides being a sword fighter that fires a massive light beam. She has wind manipulation that can hide her weapon range as well as be used for jet propulsion, for speed and for attacking. And we don't have any fighters that have wind attacks as a focus.
I feel like Acrueid would get in first because of Melty Blood being an iconic anime fighter, and how that helps flesh out the Moveset a lot for Acrueid, especially in comparison to Saber.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Just want to chime in here to say that I hope that, whoever are the newcomers in the next Smash, I hope that they're designed like the newcomers of 64 and Melee, with basic melee attacks for their normals and their "iconic abilities" for their specials.

I've said this a few times before, but I really dislike how the Smash 4-on newcomers seem to prioritize cramming as much "wacky moves" as possible at the cost of intuitive moveset design. If it were up to me, I would love to see the Smash 4 and Ultimate veterans be simplified/streamlined to be as simple as the 64 and Melee characters in their moveset designs.
I like a mix of simpler characters with more complex ones. It really just depends on the character themselves. Whatever makes them feel more faithful to the source material. I do agree that it can get a bit overwhelming to keep track of all these gimmicks modern characters have been getting and getting a few more on the basic side would be nice. One example of a character I really want that would have a simple, straight forward, but still very visually expressive moveset are the Battletoads. Their only real gimmick is transforming their limbs for attacks but that can be purely visual.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I like a mix of simpler characters with more complex ones. It really just depends on the character themselves. Whatever makes them feel more faithful to the source material. I do agree that it can get a bit overwhelming to keep track of all these gimmicks modern characters have been getting and getting a few more on the basic side would be nice. One example of a character I really want that would have a simple, straight forward, but still very visually expressive moveset are the Battletoads. Their only real gimmick is transforming their limbs for attacks but that can be purely visual.
Honestly, I think the upper limit for complex should be Snake in Brawl. Just ONE projectile normal is enough, and his specials, while still kinda hard to use, are fairly intuitive anyway.

We did NOT need Villager to try to put in as much Animal Crossing elements as possible, Mega Man to cram as much Robot Master weapons as possible, Ryu and Ken to have the light/heavy system and command inputs, Shulk to waste his Neutral B on temporary status effects, or Inkling to have an ink meter. I don't feel like gitting gud with these and other Smash 4/Ultimate characters when I have to keep looking at the in-game manual to see what their moves do.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Honestly, I think the upper limit for complex should be Snake in Brawl. Just ONE projectile normal is enough, and his specials, while still kinda hard to use, are fairly intuitive anyway.

We did NOT need Villager to try to put in as much Animal Crossing elements as possible, Mega Man to cram as much Robot Master weapons as possible, Ryu and Ken to have the light/heavy system and command inputs, Shulk to waste his Neutral B on temporary status effects, or Inkling to have an ink meter. I don't feel like gitting gud with these and other Smash 4/Ultimate characters when I have to keep looking at the in-game manual to see what their moves do.
I do kind of agree with you there in some ways. I love the fact that the characters play accurately to their series but it does make it hard for me to use them effectively. I do still play Shulk but I largely ignore his Monado artes.

Funnily enough, my issue with Mega Man is that he doesn’t play enough like he does in his home series. I think his charge shot should be holding the A button and releasing instead of a forward smash. It would have been cool to incorporate some kind of weapon upgrade ability like Kirby but that would have made him even more gimmicky.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I do kind of agree with you there in some ways. I love the fact that the characters play accurately to their series but it does make it hard for me to use them effectively. I do still play Shulk but I largely ignore his Monado artes.

Funnily enough, my issue with Mega Man is that he doesn’t play enough like he does in his home series. I think his charge shot should be holding the A button and releasing instead of a forward smash. It would have been cool to incorporate some kind of weapon upgrade ability like Kirby but that would have made him even more gimmicky.
There's definitely a good balance between incorporating a character's canon abilities and changing them so that they work in the game. Samus and Link in 64 and Melee are a great example of the balance, as both characters had, even at that time, a whole bunch of different tools they could use for their moves, but Samus just stuck with Screw Attack, Charge Beam, Missile, and Morph Bomb while Link stuck with Bow, Boomerang, Bombs, and Spin Attack, and both just used melee attacks with their swords or fists/feet to fill out the normals. Their moves felt very instinctive to learn just by messing around and playing with them in normal gameplay as opposed to constantly reminding myself through the in-game guide (or paper manual at the time) what they do.

Honestly, from a moveset design standpoint, my favorite Ultimate newcomer is Byleth by virtue of them blatantly ripping off other characters for their specials in terms of animation and/or function. It allows their moveset to be much more intuitive than most of the other Smash 4/Ultimate characters.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
There's definitely a good balance between incorporating a character's canon abilities and changing them so that they work in the game. Samus and Link in 64 and Melee are a great example of the balance, as both characters had, even at that time, a whole bunch of different tools they could use for their moves, but Samus just stuck with Screw Attack, Charge Beam, Missile, and Morph Bomb while Link stuck with Bow, Boomerang, Bombs, and Spin Attack, and both just used melee attacks with their swords or fists/feet to fill out the normals. Their moves felt very instinctive to learn just by messing around and playing with them in normal gameplay as opposed to constantly reminding myself through the in-game guide (or paper manual at the time) what they do.

Honestly, from a moveset design standpoint, my favorite Ultimate newcomer is Byleth by virtue of them blatantly ripping off other characters for their specials in terms of animation and/or function. It allows their moveset to be much more intuitive than most of the other Smash 4/Ultimate characters.
Says great balance and then uses a character who has literally everything wrong as an example. ****in LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I don't have much of a problem with gimmicks, it makes it so that there's more thinking involved. Also, I wouldn't really call Villager overly "complex". Aside from pocket and maybe Fair/Bair, he's a pretty standard character with an alternate coat of paint.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I don't have much of a problem with gimmicks, it makes it so that there's more thinking involved. Also, I wouldn't really call Villager overly "complex". Aside from pocket and maybe Fair/Bair, he's a pretty standard character with an alternate coat of paint.
That's the thing though, I want to spend more time learning through play rather than remembering what a move does and how to work it. And sure, you technically can learn the Smash 4-on characters' moves through play, but they feel so tedious learning them through that method, and pace-breaking having to pause and look at their in-game movelists.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m curious what you guys think of characters like Alph, Hero, and the Koopa Kids. Basically, entirely separate characters as alternate outfits rather than clones or echoes. I personally like the idea because it gives us a chance to see characters we never would have otherwise. Larry Koopa, for example, was never getting in on his own and I’ve always preferred the Koopa Kids to Bowser Jr.. I can understand why some might not agree though since those characters don’t get as much an opportunity to stand on their own.

On a related note, I have another question regarding clones and alts. In the event that a future Smash has to drastically cut down the roster and decides to remove derivative characters like Lucina, Roy, Chrom, Falco, and Wolf, would you prefer they were cut altogether or do you think it would be a good compromise to see them at least return as alts of Marth and Fox? The latter would cause them to lose a lot of their originality but I find it preferable to losing them altogether.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I’m curious what you guys think of characters like Alph, Hero, and the Koopa Kids. Basically, entirely separate characters as alternate outfits rather than clones or echoes. I personally like the idea because it gives us a chance to see characters we never would have otherwise. Larry Koopa, for example, was never getting in on his own and I’ve always preferred the Koopa Kids to Bowser Jr.. I can understand why some might not agree though since those characters don’t get as much an opportunity to stand on their own.
I think Alph should've been an Echo, personally. The others you mentioned are fine as is.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

On a related note, I have another question regarding clones and alts. In the event that a future Smash has to drastically cut down the roster and decides to remove derivative characters like Lucina, Roy, Chrom, Falco, and Wolf, would you prefer they were cut altogether or do you think it would be a good compromise to see them at least return as alts of Marth and Fox? The latter would cause them to lose a lot of their originality but I find it preferable to losing them altogether.
If they can give Pikmin & Alph some interesting new Pikmin and change it up a little, then an Echo. Otherwise, works fine as it is, since the Captains never had unique playstyles compared to the Pikmin.

The rest work fine, though I wouldn't mind a female-specific Hero.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
That's the thing though, I want to spend more time learning through play rather than remembering what a move does and how to work it. And sure, you technically can learn the Smash 4-on characters' moves through play, but they feel so tedious learning them through that method, and pace-breaking having to pause and look at their in-game movelists.
You're severely overestimating how difficult these moves are to understand. It's not like it's learning a new language. I just like having more thought involved than merely running to foe and mashing the attacking button. For Villager, it's choosing what item to steal, and when best to retaliate. For Steve, it's keeping your foe away long enough to get your needed items, and choosing your stage based on if you need more power or utility. Mind games within mind GameStop, and subtleties lacking in, say, Captain Falcon

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If they can give Pikmin & Alph some interesting new Pikmin and change it up a little, then an Echo. Otherwise, works fine as it is, since the Captains never had unique playstyles compared to the Pikmin.

The rest work fine, though I wouldn't mind a female-specific Hero.
I’d love to see more female characters in general but has Dragon Quest ever had a female Hero? I’ve only played VIII and XI so I’m not sure. I’d love to see a character like Red from VIII or Jade from XI though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I’d love to see more female characters in general but has Dragon Quest ever had a female Hero? I’ve only played VIII and XI so I’m not sure. I’d love to see a character like Red from VIII or Jade from XI though.
It has. Some games has a male and female Hero. Like IV. They're identical generally outside of their sex. Sometimes they have unique... not-so-wholesome costumes too. But that's not... that surprising. .-.;

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It has. Some games has a male and female Hero. Like IV. They're identical generally outside of their sex. Sometimes they have unique... not-so-wholesome costumes too. But that's not... that surprising. .-.;
In that case, I don’t see any reason not to at least make alts 5-8 the female Hero. It would be a nice option to have and wouldn’t really take much away.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You're severely overestimating how difficult these moves are to understand. It's not like it's learning a new language. I just like having more thought involved than merely running to foe and mashing the attacking button. For Villager, it's choosing what item to steal, and when best to retaliate. For Steve, it's keeping your foe away long enough to get your needed items, and choosing your stage based on if you need more power or utility. Mind games within mind GameStop, and subtleties lacking in, say, Captain Falcon
Knowing when to keep your distance and when to rush down for big damage or the kill is enough thought in Smash 64 and Melee. With those two characters you mentioned, you practically have to keep looking at your UI to remind yourself what things you have stocked. That just takes me out of the stage where the fight is happening.

Besides, that's only half of my problem with the Smash 4-on characters. The other half is that the line between what suits a normal input and what suits a special input has gotten too fine at this point. Palutena's Up-Smash being so vertical is one of the biggest examples of this problem to me, and I don't care about having it no horizontal range. That would be like Meta Knight having his Tornado Slash (the giant floor-to-ceiling tornado) from his boss fights as his Up or Down Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In that case, I don’t see any reason not to at least make alts 5-8 the female Hero. It would be a nice option to have and wouldn’t really take much away.
There's no female equivalent for some of the current Heroes, so it's kind of too late for that. It makes sense there's at least an equal amount in that case, so an all-female Hero just works better now. It would've been nice if all 4 had a female version, though.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Hero is one of the few newcomers I was super psyched to get but kinda disappointed in how they made him work. I just can't be bothered to read lol and my eyesight is pretty bad so I literally can't read the menu most of the time unless I sit closer to my TV. I think if anything they could have given him the Kazuya treatment and just mapped all his spells to different tilt specials or whatever.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much this. I think Quillion is getting confused between "reference-heavy movesets" and "character-specific gimmicks". I guess it is true that some of Villager's attacks, like the bowling ball and the slingshot, seem like something that could be mistaken for a special, but for the most part, it just seems to be aesthetics. Plus, for what it's worth, Villager was considered but turned down for Brawl, so maybe the wacky, reference-laden kit was the only way they figured Villager could be worth including.

Honestly, I don't mind cramming in a ton of references. I certainly wouldn't mind more characters with more old-fashioned, simple movesets, but I only have a problem when people stupidly claim that all the veterans need a "revamp" because they aren't referencing stuff, as if simple punches and kicks weren't possible in their home games.

I'm not sure how I'd feel, but I doubt it'd ever happen anyway. If they were willing to demote already established, full-fledged characters into another character's alt, they would've done so already with Dr. Mario.

As for the alts we do have, I friggin' love the Koopalings. I've never been a big fan of Jr., so I wouldn't have been too excited about having him in Smash on his own, but having all 7 of the Koopalings as his alts was a major plus for me. And I totally anticipated getting Hero with alts of the protagonist from various entries in the Dragon Quest series (wasn't expecting there to only be 4 of them with 2 sets of colors each, though). I have yet to play Pikmin 3, so I can't really comment on Alph, though like many others, I can't help but feel he kinda got the short end of the stick. Granted, as White Frost pointed out before, you're playing with the Pikmin about as much as you're playing with the captains (which is especially evident in the Japanese version, where the Fighters are specifically called "Pikmin & Olimar" and "Pikmin & Alph", with the Pikmin even getting top-billing).

Incidentally, it seems like Ultimate has mostly stopped using alts as characters, instead just embracing Echoes. The only notable exceptions are the new gender-benders and Steve (though for the latter, it kinda works anyway since, in their home game, you can change skins but still have functionally the same character). As an aside, I really wish at least ONE of the Fire Emblem avatars used the female as the default (Corrin seems to be almost unanimously the popular choice in this regard), especially since the defaults get things like being on the Everyone Is Here art, and they're the only ones to get an Amiibo most of the time (though at least female Corrin lucked out there). The Dragon Quest III Hero should've been the default too, but I can sorta understand their need to shill (but if he happens to return next Smash, I hope they change him to the default, especially since the Dragon Quest III Switch remake should be recent by then).

Yeah, Dragon Quest is no stranger when it comes to fanservice aimed at pubescent boys. I mean, this is the series that pretty much invented the Puff-Puff (either that, or Toriyama's other work, Dragon Ball).

As for a female Hero, I would've liked at least one of the alts to be that (likely the DQ4 Hero, as the DQ3 Hero has a female alt but the male is too iconic to get rid of). In the next Smash, I'm not sure if they'd change the set-up they have now (supposedly, these 4 alts were specifically approved by Square Enix), though maybe they could add on a female alt if they don't strictly adhere to the 8 alts per Fighter again. I guess it's a bit complicated because the Dragon Quest series had so few games with a gender-selectable Hero, and aside from DQ3 and DQ4 (which would conflict with the male alts that already exist), I think the only games that allowed female protagonists were entries like DQ9, where you simply had full customization of your character, and the default female appears in very little promotional material.

You know, now that Classic Mode is specially catered to each character, maybe they should've designed it in a way where you'd be given particular obstacles where you HAVE to learn how to use some of their gimmicks. In fact, this was pretty much how the Break The Targets were meant to work in the first two games.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Whatever reason Hayabusa is not in Smash, we can rule out Capcom and Koei Tecmo not wanting their characters to be playable in the same game now that King of Fighters All-Stars has Street Fighter and Dead or Alive characters in it. Though, I never thought that was the reason anyway.

Last edited:

I'm fine with character alts as long as they feel like they fit, and aren't shoehorned in just to fill a representation quota. That said, I'm not too invested in any of the alt characters we do have, so I might feel a little differently if it were characters I cared about and they just didn't feel like themselves. That happened to me with Chrom. He's one of my favorite FE lords, but his animations don't really feel like him and he's shrunk down to fit over Roy so he doesn't feel like he exists naturally next to other human characters in the game. I don't play him much because of that, even though I enjoy his gameplay.

When it comes to clones becoming alts, it really depends on the character. I wouldn't mind if Dark Pit or Richter became alts, if that's what it took. Others like Falco, Wolf, and Roy would feel kind of wrong being sandwiched into an alt, though. They've all grown to have different identities, and it would be sad to those characters reverting after making so much progress. Personally, I don't really need Roy to stick around at all, and I'd rather see the others as possible DLC if they couldn't make it in base game.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I don't like when clones have gameplay differences and are still balanced solely against the original. In Lucina's case, it feels like her existence is holding back Marth on a design level. Marth can't do anything fancy with the tipper mechanic or else Lucina won't be able to do the same things and she would no longer be an easy character to balance. So we get a less interesting version of Marth and a clone that isn't as original as the change should imply. I know they did it to ease the workload, but I would much rather see Lucina balanced on her own in the future if she does make a return.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know, now that Classic Mode is specially catered to each character, maybe they should've designed it in a way where you'd be given particular obstacles where you HAVE to learn how to use some of their gimmicks. In fact, this was pretty much how the Break The Targets were meant to work in the first two games.
The first two games also didn't have, like 80 characters.

Even with echoes, designing and building so many unique stages just for a minigame would be a nightmare.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I don't like when clones have gameplay differences and are still balanced solely against the original. In Lucina's case, it feels like her existence is holding back Marth on a design level. Marth can't do anything fancy with the tipper mechanic or else Lucina won't be able to do the same things and she would no longer be an easy character to balance. So we get a less interesting version of Marth and a clone that isn't as original as the change should imply. I know they did it to ease the workload, but I would much rather see Lucina balanced on her own in the future if she does make a return.
Most Melee characters aren't doing anything super fancy with their moveset, I highly doubt that Marth is an exception because of Lucina.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

personally id make alph a full character give the koopalings the boot and cut hero all together

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
The first two games also didn't have, like 80 characters.

Even with echoes, designing and building so many unique stages just for a minigame would be a nightmare.
I don't think it would be too hard, honestly. I mean, if they could find the time to make a unique Classic Mode for those 80ish characters, as well as around literally a thousand Spirit Battles, then maybe they could've designed the first stage or two in Classic Mode to act as a little tutorial, somehow structured in a way that encourages the player to utilize that particular character's gameplay gimmick. Perhaps a special win condition where the opponent can only be defeated in a particular way, or giving Shulk something like the Snorlax Spirit Battle (defeat an immobile, but Giant and high HP, opponent under a time limit) where the idea would be to use Monado Arts to raise his attack power. Seems like it would've been a much more effective usage of Classic Mode than "About ten different characters have to fight space-themed opponents, lol" or "This is an Echo Fighter, let's make him fight all the other Echo Fighters!"

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I don't think it would be too hard, honestly. I mean, if they could find the time to make a unique Classic Mode for those 80ish characters, as well as around literally a thousand Spirit Battles, then maybe they could've designed the first stage or two in Classic Mode to act as a little tutorial, somehow structured in a way that encourages the player to utilize that particular character's gameplay gimmick. Perhaps a special win condition where the opponent can only be defeated in a particular way, or giving Shulk something like the Snorlax Spirit Battle (defeat an immobile, but Giant and high HP, opponent under a time limit) where the idea would be to use Monado Arts to raise his attack power. Seems like it would've been a much more effective usage of Classic Mode than "About ten different characters have to fight space-themed opponents, lol" or "This is an Echo Fighter, let's make him fight all the other Echo Fighters!"
It wouldn't be difficult so much as it'd be time and resource consuming, and the priority for Smash is never really on single-player bonus modes, presumably because those get comparatively little play. Even by Brawl the Break the Targets had been generalized past the character-specific ones.

With a growing roster, the lower-priority stuff which scales with the character count becomes that much more untenable. Proper All-Star and trophies were also casualties. Things like Classic Mode and the Spirit Battles are different in that it's really just mixing and matching the available, existing options, not creating new stuff as individual break the targets would be.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The large roster is why I really think single player stuff should be coming user generated online content in the future. The Smash team may not be in a position to make custom break the targets stages, but Smash players could.
That’s a good idea actually. I think a Stage Builder like feature could work really well for modes like Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, or Race to the Finish. Something like a Subspace Emissary would probably still have to be done by Sakurai and his team though. I’m not sure how that one would work with user generated content.

Last edited:
Most Melee characters aren't doing anything super fancy with their moveset, I highly doubt that Marth is an exception because of Lucina.
When I said fancy I was referring to technical complexity. I probably should have worded that better. Marth has always been a character a high technical ceiling, even if he didn't always need it to do well. Maybe I'm wrong and it isn't because of Lucina being balanced against him, but Marth can do less unique stuff compared to her than he could in Smash 4, and he can do less stuff in general compared to any other version of himself. Some of that is because of the standardization of sequential moves like jab and dancing blade, and part of it is because Ultimate balanced Marth so that sourspots almost never combo into tippers. There was definitely an effort to standardize Marth in this entry. Maybe it was because of the scope of Ultimate as a whole, and the way echoes were balanced is a small symptom of how daunting the game was to develop and balance, I don't know.

I guess I should amend my statement and say that I dislike character complexity being toned down for the sake of making balance easier. That might be more fair to the situation.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Bandana Dee's project m incarnation got its final coat of polish it looks like.

Stuff like this makes me miss Brawl modding. It’s just a hassle to hook my Wii up to play and it doesn’t look great on my HD TV. Hopefully Ultimate will get there eventually. I still want to mod the Switch someday for Ultimate but it’s hard to find the time and I’m always afraid of screwing something up since it looks a lot more complex these days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom