• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
What are everybody's favorite kind of crossovers in Smash Ultimate?

For me, I do like seeing different NES characters together. Nintendo was the king back in those days where so many games were able to shine on their consoles just like their own games. Seeing characters from back then come together in Smash feels like a tribute to a great era for the company.

Another crossover I like seeing is retro characters and recent characters. Look at Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch and then look at characters like Bayonetta and Joker. Not just the characters but also their games. Just never would have thought that they would all be in the same game together. It just didn't even seem And I know Cloud is not really a recent character but you can't help but look his game too. Duck Hunt and Final Fantasy VII? Characters from those games together? That's still kind of hard to believe. Ice Climber and Bayonetta? Very different games from very different eras and here they are, crossing over.

Then there's also seeing the genre kings going at it, such as Mario (Platforming), Ryu (Fighting), Cloud (RPG), Snake (Stealth) and, partially, Doom Slayer (FPS).

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Another crossover I like seeing is retro characters and recent characters. Look at Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch and then look at characters like Bayonetta and Joker. Not just the characters but also their games. Just never would have thought that they would all be in the same game together. It just didn't even seem And I know Cloud is not really a recent character but you can't help but look his game too. Duck Hunt and Final Fantasy VII? Characters from those games together? That's still kind of hard to believe. Ice Climber and Bayonetta? Very different games from very different eras and here they are, crossing over.
I wouldn't say that it's just retro mixing with recent, so much as it is characters with dramatically different design styles in general. I mean, Pit is a retro character, but he's been updated to be more in line with modern standards. At any rate, I would be willing to say that it's these clashing styles that I enjoy seeing the most. Made moments like the end of Kazuya's trailer absolutely hilarious.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?

For me, I do like seeing different NES characters together. Nintendo was the king back in those days where so many games were able to shine on their consoles just like their own games. Seeing characters from back then come together in Smash feels like a tribute to a great era for the company.

Then there's also seeing the genre kings going at it, such as Mario (Platforming), Ryu (Fighting), Cloud (RPG), Snake (Stealth) and, partially, Doom Slayer (FPS).
It would have been the Xenoblade Chronicles, but, I have a strong emotional attatchment to Melia and Shulk and his traveling companions. So yeah, I'm still butt hurt that Lyn didn't make it in as playable, but here's to hoping Shulk and some of his buddies make it into SSB6.
I guess if I had to pick one crossover it would have to be the Fire Emblem series. Marth and Roy will always be my favorites. And I just hope The Black Knight makes it in as well as Lyn

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

I personally love the third parties we've gotten so far.
Some of them "met" each other for the first time thanks to Smash e.g. While Ryu and Ken have run into Terry before, Terry's never run into Kazuya, and minus Smash 4, I can't recall a game with Mario, Sonic, Pacman, Mega Man, and Banjo/Kazooie in it.

Also, I like how in a way, they all represent different consoles given the legacies they established. Cloud and Snake are renewed PlayStation legends, Mario and Nintendo obviously, and Steve is a phenomenal connection to Microsoft in the Xbox sense and in the PC sense.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Just seeing so many characters and franchises in one game, period.

toonito

Smash Ace
yeah i also like flagship characters meeting up as well

Pac-Man (Arcade), Sonic (SEGA platformer), Pikachu (RPG), Kazuya (3D fighters), Steve (sandbox), Terry (SNK/Neo-Geo)

its part of the reason I wanna see Crash, Dante, and Doom Slayer make it in.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say that it's just retro mixing with recent, so much as it is characters with dramatically different design styles in general. I mean, Pit is a retro character, but he's been updated to be more in line with modern standards. At any rate, I would be willing to say that it's these clashing styles that I enjoy seeing the most. Made moments like the end of Kazuya's trailer absolutely hilarious.
I'm not sure if Pit can really be considered retro anymore. That's why I didn't mention Kid Icarus because Pit did get an update, as well as a more recent game. Duck Hunt and Ice Climber didn't. They have simple designs and are from simple games that pretty much describes the era they come from. So whenever people want to know about the games they come from, all they have is the NES games to look at. Then you look at later characters and see how much more detailed their games are. It's like there's no reason they should all be in the same game...and yet, here they are. Like they were meant to be together.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Some have suggested that a cinematic universe of Super Smash Bros. would be released and the movie Detective Pikachu would be the first in the series. Of course this is not true, but I wish it had happened.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Some have suggested that a cinematic universe of Super Smash Bros. would be released and the movie Detective Pikachu would be the first in the series. Of course this is not true, but I wish it had happened.
Well, it's not Nintendo, BUT...

Look, I know this is a joke, but come on: a Sega Cinematic Universe makes too much sense. Though personally, I would probably wait a bit before going all in, at least until all the Sonic stuff wraps up.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Well, it's not Nintendo, BUT...

Look, I know this is a joke, but come on: a Sega Cinematic Universe makes too much sense. Though personally, I would probably wait a bit before going all in, at least until all the Sonic stuff wraps up.
Imagine if the movie features cameos and references from other Sega IPs.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Pokemon Legends: Arceus is so much fun! Now I'm excited for a new Pokemon in Smash.
Kleavor would be a good pick. Looks like a fighter, and we don't have a Bug or Rock type yet.

I'm not sure if Pit can really be considered retro anymore. That's why I didn't mention Kid Icarus because Pit did get an update, as well as a more recent game. Duck Hunt and Ice Climber didn't.
Pit's update didn't come until AFTER he got into Smash though.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Funny that Sega was brought up, as I was just thinking about how a new Fighters Megamix would be if it was in its 5th installment like Smash is.

Pit's update didn't come until AFTER he got into Smash though.
Back then during Brawl, yeah, he was still kinda of retro, despite having an updated design. But nowadays with a more recent game, Kid Icarus is a lot more modernized compared to Ice Climber and Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Funny that Sega was brought up, as I was just thinking about how a new Fighters Megamix would be if it was in its 5th installment like Smash is.
Oh man, that's a good parallel to draw. Fighters Megamix even released around the same period as the original Smash (a couple years earlier, granted). As an aside, it amazes how often people seem to forget that the Saturn was technically in the same generation as the N64 and PS1. The Dreamcast gets more frequently associated with that era, when in actuality, Sega was jumping on to the PS2, GameCube, and original Xbox's generation ahead of everyone else (a fact that's all the more easy to forget given how quickly the Dreamcast died off).

One thing I wonder about Fighters Megamix is if Sega would've been more willing to break the "game characters only" rule, as they did with All-Star Racing. It is worth noting that, while Sega has no shortage of first-party IPs of their own, throughout the '90s, it seems like they were going all-in on picking up all kinds of publishing deals with established IPs, as can be seen here. Disney, Warner Bros., Marvel, DC, Garfield, if it was a licensed game on a Sega console, there was a good chance that it was published by Sega themselves. That said, their reliance on non-game characters (and real life celebrities) doesn't seem too out of place. At any rate, it would've been awesome if we could've gotten Hatsune Miku duking it out with Sonic.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Oh man, that's a good parallel to draw. Fighters Megamix even released around the same period as the original Smash (a couple years earlier, granted). As an aside, it amazes how often people seem to forget that the Saturn was technically in the same generation as the N64 and PS1. The Dreamcast gets more frequently associated with that era, when in actuality, Sega was jumping on to the PS2, GameCube, and original Xbox's generation ahead of everyone else (a fact that's all the more easy to forget given how quickly the Dreamcast died off).

One thing I wonder about Fighters Megamix is if Sega would've been more willing to break the "game characters only" rule, as they did with All-Star Racing. It is worth noting that, while Sega has no shortage of first-party IPs of their own, throughout the '90s, it seems like they were going all-in on picking up all kinds of publishing deals with exclusive IPs, as can be seen here. Disney, Warner Bros., Marvel, Garfield, if it was a licensed game on a Sega console, there was a good chance that it was published by Sega themselves. That said, their reliance on non-game characters (and real life celebrities) doesn't seem too out of place. At any rate, it would've been awesome if we could've gotten Hatsune Miku duking it out with Sonic.
That probably could happen somewhere down the line. Heck, they even have a few Mickey Mouse games on the mini Sega Genesis console.

But even among just video game characters, there's still a lot of interesting crossovers that can happen the games. We all know Dead or Alive characters can work in a Sega AM2 game, so imagine seeing Joe Musashi vs Ryu Hayabusa? Or heck, Sora against the original keyblade hero Pepper? There's a lot of potential in a game like that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Hmm. I wonder what it is?
ooh intriguing

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Wow, nobody has talked about this one? I mean, I skimmed through, so maybe I'm full of **** and someone DID mention it, but I didn't see it...

Nvm, I got ABSOLUTELY ninja'd, and by an actual ninja this time.

Seriously though, surprised you guys missed this one from yesterday.

Now I know you guys will probably try to write this off as 'Sakurai could be working on anything, even something that isn't a video game, like an Ultimate art collection book or something!' and while that TECHNICALLY is true and I would buy the **** out of that or anything within that sort of circle of Sakurai created something, we need to face some facts here.

1. Sakurai dropped Famitsu I believe with Ultimate, stating he wouldn't do columns for it again. If this is true, that means whatever he is working on cannot be for Famitsu. I'm saying if about this because my brain is spotty today and I'm not remembering what was exactly said about this. Considering the Famitsu columns were partially a biography of his life during development and included his ideals and moments from the past as well, I'm not sure he would be working on a written work about himself just yet...and even then, he could simply have someone else write it. Sakurai talents also seem to lie within the realm of video games, so I'm not sure that he would be working on something that wasn't a video game anyway.

2. Sakurai hasn't worked on a single game other than Smash for a hot minute now. The last time that happened was Kid Icarus Uprising for 3DS, and before that it was various smaller titles and some Kirby games I think before he was dragged nearly kicking and screaming into Brawl. This isn't to say that he COULDN'T work on another IP, but that he hasn't in a while. On top of this, his history with Smash since Smash 4 was just hopping right into the next one right away, and when you consider the likelihood of a next gen Switch sooner than later this really does line up for Sakurai to already be working on the next Smash game.

3. Sakurai is the creative mastermind that every Smash fan loves and is essentially required for the foreseeable future for Smash to be a success. So, if you are higher-ups at Nintendo, what would you have him work on: another Smash title, or something else entirely? The choice is pretty obvious for a business to make for so many reasons. Sure, they could have him work on something else, but to quote JonTron..."you could do that, could...but why? Why would you do that?"

4. Everyone keeps talking about creator/dev burnout, but no one likes to bring up the fact that Sakurai at multiple times throughout Ultimate was incredibly happy to keep working on the game and that it has been stated multiple times by himself and other sources that he is less effected by everything going on in development than he used to be. I believe this to be because Bamco essentially gives him the crew he needs to do all the 'heavy-lifting' per say and, while Sakurai does have to put in the hours just like everyone else, he's in a position now due to all his success where he has less stress on him than he ever has. It's up to him to make the magic happen for us to get all the characters we want from the companies we want them from, sure, and it's his vision and dream that needs to be adhered to for Smash to be successful, sure...but it's clear that he's in a position that is a bit more removed from being hard into the paint as much as he supervises and gives instruction...something he's well more than earned to have by now.

Realistically, it makes the most sense.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

For me it's the music and how Smash was able to pull so many classic video game composers to work on iconic video game music. You got ACE (Xenoblade chronicles), doing remixes of Gangplank galleon and Halland/Dallarna. Michiko Naruke (Known for Wild arms) did Bramble blast and Ocarina of time medley. Keiichi Okabe (Drakengard and Nier) did the Aerith theme. Motoi Sakuraba, who worked on Tales of, Dark souls and Golden sun did Vs parasite queen and Gourmet race. While it's cool to see Toby Fox and Grant Kirkhope remixing their own stuff, it's just so cool to see some other composers taking the opportunity to remix music they would have never have the opportunity to work with if it wasn't for Smash.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?

& I'm not gonna lie Sakurai would pull off Saki Amamyia's hairstyle.! So yeah, probably not helpful in the slightest. But, I, also wonder that aswell.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Wow, nobody has talked about this one? I mean, I skimmed through, so maybe I'm full of **** and someone DID mention it, but I didn't see it...

Nvm, I got ABSOLUTELY ninja'd, and by an actual ninja this time.

Seriously though, surprised you guys missed this one from yesterday.

Now I know you guys will probably try to write this off as 'Sakurai could be working on anything, even something that isn't a video game, like an Ultimate art collection book or something!' and while that TECHNICALLY is true and I would buy the **** out of that or anything within that sort of circle of Sakurai created something, we need to face some facts here.

1. Sakurai dropped Famitsu I believe with Ultimate, stating he wouldn't do columns for it again. If this is true, that means whatever he is working on cannot be for Famitsu. I'm saying if about this because my brain is spotty today and I'm not remembering what was exactly said about this. Considering the Famitsu columns were partially a biography of his life during development and included his ideals and moments from the past as well, I'm not sure he would be working on a written work about himself just yet...and even then, he could simply have someone else write it. Sakurai talents also seem to lie within the realm of video games, so I'm not sure that he would be working on something that wasn't a video game anyway.

2. Sakurai hasn't worked on a single game other than Smash for a hot minute now. The last time that happened was Kid Icarus Uprising for 3DS, and before that it was various smaller titles and some Kirby games I think before he was dragged nearly kicking and screaming into Brawl. This isn't to say that he COULDN'T work on another IP, but that he hasn't in a while. On top of this, his history with Smash since Smash 4 was just hopping right into the next one right away, and when you consider the likelihood of a next gen Switch sooner than later this really does line up for Sakurai to already be working on the next Smash game.

3. Sakurai is the creative mastermind that every Smash fan loves and is essentially required for the foreseeable future for Smash to be a success. So, if you are higher-ups at Nintendo, what would you have him work on: another Smash title, or something else entirely? The choice is pretty obvious for a business to make for so many reasons. Sure, they could have him work on something else, but to quote JonTron..."you could do that, could...but why? Why would you do that?"

4. Everyone keeps talking about creator/dev burnout, but no one likes to bring up the fact that Sakurai at multiple times throughout Ultimate was incredibly happy to keep working on the game and that it has been stated multiple times by himself and other sources that he is less effected by everything going on in development than he used to be. I believe this to be because Bamco essentially gives him the crew he needs to do all the 'heavy-lifting' per say and, while Sakurai does have to put in the hours just like everyone else, he's in a position now due to all his success where he has less stress on him than he ever has. It's up to him to make the magic happen for us to get all the characters we want from the companies we want them from, sure, and it's his vision and dream that needs to be adhered to for Smash to be successful, sure...but it's clear that he's in a position that is a bit more removed from being hard into the paint as much as he supervises and gives instruction...something he's well more than earned to have by now.

Realistically, it makes the most sense.
Sakurai is freelance, he's not a Nintendo employee... he's not theirs to shift from project to project, and after Smash I'm sure he's been littered with offers. We already know Oculus wanted him on board, and I'm sure that's one of many; he's become a freelance developer of very high esteem and innumerable industry connections, and those are pretty valued.

The next Smash will happen eventually and Sakurai has intimated that it's unlikely to happen without him, but that doesn't mean he's immediately begun work on the sequel, especially when you consider how illogical it would be to have disbanded the experienced Smash team at Namco should that have been his next project.

Ivander

Smash Legend

I don't expect it to be something big. I think if he was working on anything big or upcoming, he would either have mentioned it directly or not mentioned this at all, since he knows people tend to really latch onto whatever he says with heavy expectation. To me, this sounds like he's just doing something that isn't anything big or grand, just something he may have wanted to do on his own whim.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
I don't expect it to be something big. I think if he was working on anything big or upcoming, he would either have mentioned it directly or not mentioned this at all, since he knows people tend to really latch onto whatever he says with heavy expectation. To me, this sounds like he's just doing something that isn't anything big or grand, just something he may have wanted to do on his own whim.
Well, it might be something big... It just wouldn't be as big as they were. But Nintendo may just think of something amAzing. They're full of great ideas... In a way. Lol jk, no hate to Sakurai and the Nintendo Team. :)
:linkmelee::4palutena::roypm::4littlemac::4bowserjr::4cloud::4villager:Ash & ASH's:pikachu:............................ .

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
The overwhelming likelihood is that he's working on something for Nintendo. He's an extremely trusted borderline colleague with an established rapport and has exclusively designed games using their hardware something he's clearly most comfortable with working on. I think it's silly to get hung up on the technicality that he's a freelancer.

Doesn't necessarily have to be Smash but we don't know what it is yet. It's likely a game based on past precedent but also I went to the original Japanese article and google translate had Sakurai referring to it as a game after the "tired eyes" portion of the statement and the article writer also referred to it as a game based on the aforementioned portion of the statement I'm referring to which leads me to believe that the translation is somewhat accurate at least in regards to that part of the statement.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
The overwhelming likelihood is that he's working on something for Nintendo. He's an extremely trusted borderline colleague with an established rapport and has exclusively designed games using their hardware something he's clearly most comfortable with working on. I think it's silly to get hung up on the technicality that he's a freelancer.

Doesn't necessarily have to be Smash but we don't know what it is yet. It's likely a game based on past precedent but also I went to the original Japanese article and google translate had Sakurai referring to it as a game after the "tired eyes" portion of the statement and the article writer also referred to it as a game based on the aforementioned portion of the statement I'm referring to which leads me to believe that the translation is somewhat accurate at least in regards to that part of the statement.
Calling his freelance status a technicality is quite the understatement. He very well may continue working with Nintendo, but he's in no way beholden to them as a developer under them would be. He literally disbanded the team Nintendo built for him for Uprising after the game. If Nintendo makes a first-party studio for you and then you shutter it, there's no better indication of not wanting to be tied to a singular company.

Think about it. He doesn't have a team (wife aside), he doesn't seem to have a permanent office, he could have all these things, but he's literally structured his "company" to be able to pick up and go wherever he's currently employed. He is freelance through and through, so far he just gravitated towards Nintendo due to his feelings of ownership over Smash and his relationship with Iwata, which kept bringing him back, but, for the first time, is no longer a factor.

Plus working with so many disparate parties has made it only easier for him to build in-roads with any number of companies.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Here's my pitch for a Kid Icarus game on Switch!

Kid Icarus: Uprising & Downfall

Basically reuse all the work that was put into Uprising as your time-conserving foundation. The rail-shooter/arena-fighter design is ideal for the series. A lot of people didn't play it and it has held up very well. Expand upon the weapons and maybe hero characters in the multiplayer. Maybe add some armor and give it stats as to allow the player to pair them together with the weapons. Add some new modes like a general "Slayer" mode and capture the flag.

The "Downfall" portion of the game will be an entirely new story equal in length to the first game that takes place right after.

That won't be all though because this game will feature extensive use of chariots in its story and this will translate into the additional multiplayer mode. This mode will be a spiritual successor to Kirby's Air Ride and most especially the "City Trial" mode. Build up your chariot across the map to use for battle at the end of the timer while messing with your opponents' efforts all throughout the process of doing so. Find rare chariots and engage with random events/weather that allow for special unique builds in the aftermath of said events. For example say your chariot specializes in lightning magic then a thunderstorm will help power up your chariot as you collect lightning blasts! Getting hit directly by lightning in such a chariot will yield bonus results! A fire chariot will want to jump straight into volcanoes eruption I think! There will be multiple maps maybe something like 3 or 4.

Add a boss rush mode and call it a day.

My feeling is that this kind of game would be less strenuous an effort to push for after Ultimate and while still being capable of producing a very stellar result with amazing gameplay opportunities. City Trial mode is one of Sakurai's greatest achievements in the medium of gaming and it'd be amazing for him to go back to it and see what he could do with the format now with all his accumulated experience since then. He seems extremely proud of Uprising and I think it'd be great for that game and the IP itself to be given another shot with the Switch's audience.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Welllllll.....

http://nintendoeverything.com/masah...akihiro-hino-share-brief-comments-about-2016/

Masahiro Sakurai: I want to enjoy every Sunday. But it’s not like the next job hasn’t been decided yet.
And then we got Smash Ultimate.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai is freelance, he's not a Nintendo employee... he's not theirs to shift from project to project, and after Smash I'm sure he's been littered with offers. We already know Oculus wanted him on board, and I'm sure that's one of many; he's become a freelance developer of very high esteem and innumerable industry connections, and those are pretty valued.
really? when did that happen?

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Cacomallow is still in development

SmashAnnouncer

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm sort of new to this site. I came a few months ago but I haven't done much til now.

As a newcomer here, this question is going to be bit weird and niche but have any of you heard of the CPUCS: The Tournament Series?

Trust me, it will make sense later

Top Bottom