• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
So, guys.
How many newcomers base game do you think Smash 6 will have or expect to have?
For reference:
Brawl had 18 (counting ZSS and the Pokemon Trainer as separate)
Smash 4 had 16 (counting the mii fighters as separate and not counting echoes)
Ultimate had 6 not counting echoes.

I feel like we'll never reach Brawl or Smash 4 numbers again, but i feel we should get way more than Ult.
I'm expecting Smash 6 to have 12 newcomers not couting echoes, way more than Ult but fewer than Brawl/4.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So, guys.
For reference:

I feel like we'll never reach Brawl or Smash 4 numbers again, but i feel we should get way more than Ult.
I'm expecting Smash 6 to have 12 newcomers not couting echoes, way more than Ult but fewer than Brawl/4.
Not trying to be mean, but didn't you already ask this before?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So, guys.
For reference:

The only reason why Ultimate had so few newcomers was because of EIH and that they decided to use the time and resources to bring back all the veterans that missed out on Smash 4. I'm expecting 14-16 this time with no EIH.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
So, guys.
For reference:

Clones aside for both, probably only a few more than Ultimate. 8-12, maybe.

I think the game is going to focus less on launch content and more on its continued rollout.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

These images are making rounds and it just makes me wish we had a Smash Brothers-equivalent to this. Y'know for the one of biggest crossovers
Whenever I see MvC stuff on Smashboards I always end up reminding myself that Ultimate did actually make a slight nod to the series in the Ryu Palatuna's Guidance. It was just a quick mention of him fighting superheros in the past, but it's still so bizarre and cool to me. Add in the Mario and Sora handshake and I get really curious just how much of a fan Sakurai is of the series.

Last edited:

Greenhorne Ethan

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-4106-6771-3326
Whenever I see MvC stuff on Smashboards I always end up reminding myself that Ultimate did actually made a slight nod to the series in the Ryu Palatuna's Guidance. It was just a quick mention of him fighting superheros in the past, but it's still so bizarre and cool to me. Add in the Mario and Sora handshake and I get really curious just how much of a fan Sakurai is of the series.
Part of me wonders if that could've been referring to someone like Skullomania, but I really hope it's an MvC reference.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Whenever I see MvC stuff on Smashboards I always end up reminding myself that Ultimate did actually made a slight nod to the series in the Ryu Palatuna's Guidance. It was just a quick mention of him fighting superheros in the past, but it's still so bizarre and cool to me. Add in the Mario and Sora handshake and I get really curious just how much of a fan Sakurai is of the series.
Not to mention, one of Ken's final smashes is inspired by Marvel vs Capcom.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Part of me wonders if that could've been referring to someone like Skullomania, but I really hope it's an MvC reference.
I have to imagine the whole MvC series is a likelier reference than one character from Street Fighter EX, fan favorite as he might be.

Though it might be a deliberately more general reference since Tatsunoko also has superheroes.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
To me that's their plausible deniability, but it was a plural use of the term, so I think it was likely a nod to MvC.
Not to mention, one of Ken's final smashes is inspired by Marvel vs Capcom.
Wow, I totally forgot about that, even though it is probably the most obvious.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I have to imagine the whole MvC series is a likelier reference than one character from Street Fighter EX, fan favorite as he might be.

Though it might be a deliberately more general reference since Tatsunoko also has superheroes.
The list of things Viridi's said Ryu's fought are a lot more applicable to the Vs. series in general than SF alone, minus some characters like Twelve.
Didn't he also cite MvC for Mega Man's uppercut when talking about him for Smash For, or am I misremembering?
Yes, he did.

Nickthebrick1

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, since we already had a smash direct, when do you think we'll get another one? Maybe sometime before year's end?

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
So, guys.
For reference:

I think around 12 to 14 newcomers is the best bet. Newcomers will be more of a priority this time around with how long it has been since the Switch launched.

Ivander

Smash Legend

These images are making rounds and it just makes me wish we had a Smash Brothers-equivalent to this. Y'know for the one of biggest crossovers
We do have one with Mario and Sora. Though man, I really hope the collection does well enough to give interest in a new game or even trying a Vs. Capcom crossover with another company. I've missed this series.

Nickthebrick1

Smash Cadet
I think around 12 to 14 newcomers is the best bet. Newcomers will be more of a priority this time around with how long it has been since the Switch launched.
And that's not counting dlc. Honestly, I think to help with the dissatisfaction of cutting characters, they'll introduce new ones.

Oh my bad, I meant nintendo direct.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I had a thought. And for the first time in a while. I think both Young Link and Toon Link may be in danger of being cut.

Toon Link's prominence in the Zelda franchise always made me feel he was pretty darn safe, but I'm starting to think the Toon style has been quietly retired. I'm not saying Toy Link is going to replace him or anything. I think we'll just go without a Link clone (so Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf and a newcomer?) but I think they finally moved on from the Toon art style.

That's a shame. I love that art style and Toon Link is a personal favorite of mine. :ulttoonlink:
This post didn't get nearly as much discussion as I'd hoped. So I'm bringing it back.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
BTW, Curious Villager Curious Villager : I found you also claiming that(albeit a lonnnnnnnng time ago, during 3DS/Wii U speculation). Do you remember where Sakurai apparently said a Child Link was important??
It was in an interview in one of the issues from the Official Nintendo Magazine if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Though DLC now means they don't have to wait until the next game to cover everything since the initial roster was chosen. And that can work by not having to wait until the next game to represent things that missed out on base, and by passing on some things for base if there's a timelier option for DLC.

As in, in theory, maybe Xenoblade doesn't get an XC3 character in base because by the time the Smash launches that game may be four-ish years old and one console behind but the next game might have just come out, so they held off with that foresight.

This post didn't get nearly as much discussion as I'd hoped. So I'm bringing it back.
I don't think Toon Link is safe, but I think a child Link of some form is. Whether that means TL or TL (**** that doesn't work), idk. I'd still give the edge to ol Toony, but we'll see how it goes. It's true that Zelda often, maybe even usually, opts for recent versions.

My bigger concern is the Zelda newcomer being "Toy Zelda", who uses her wand of stuff. Not that that's bad or uninteresting in a vacuum, I just don't want another one of the main three. And tbf, that might not align with development to make her a whole character rather than just a new move for regular Zelda.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I've been thinking there's a chance that YL stays over TL anyway, and it's not just because I see more YLs than TLs. It's also because of how the LA remake was the closest the Switch had to a game starring a toon Link, but it's not the Toon Link style. And...now we have another game in the LA remake's style, and still nothing on the Switch involving WW's character designs except TL in Smash and Minish Cap on GBA Online.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I've been thinking there's a chance that YL stays over TL anyway, and it's not just because I see more YLs than TLs. It's also because of how the LA remake was the closest the Switch had to a game starring a toon Link, but it's not the Toon Link style. And...now we have another game in the LA remake's style, and still nothing on the Switch involving WW's character designs except TL in Smash and Minish Cap on GBA Online.
But those recent games involve a new style - so that wouldn't help YL. Those would be points in favor of a Toy Link, not YL.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i actually meant to respond to it. the toon style is great i would have loved it if it was the style for echoes of wisdom it is a shame it hasn't been seen in a while. although if you think of it as three games ago it's not so bad

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I mean, people thought Toon Link was going to be retired back in Smash 4 as well, as the style was being used less back then too outside of the HD remake of the Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks was already several years old back then.

I think its more down to wether or not Sakurai decides to shake things up again and replace him with the new "Toy" Link design or keep him as he still comes with two stages related to him and Sakurai seems to like to separate his design from the rest of the Zelda games as if it's some sort of "sub series" in Smash, like with the trophies/Spirits and whatnot.

I still think he has a better shot of returning than Young Link though.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
But those recent games involve a new style - so that wouldn't help YL. Those would be points in favor of a Toy Link, not YL.
Eh, there are so many ways you can pull a "smaller, weaker, but faster" spin on the standard Link moveset, and Toy Link would have to be a third one since the differences between YL and TL aren't just artstyles. A third Link clone that still shares some of the general attributes as the first two might not seem that interesting to the developers.

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
I do remember seeing people discussing it, but I didn't get to so thanks for the second chance

Multiple people brought up this point before me but Sakurai introduced child Links specifically so people that didn't like the slower normal Link would have a alternative. I imagine he'd still value that, on top of, well, child Links being a big part of Zelda history. I see your point about how they haven't used the toon artstyle in a while but he'd hardly be the first irrelevant character to stick around. Especially when his niche gives him a great reason to stay.

Plus assuming Link is still based on the Wild Saga, we'd kinda need one of the kid Links to to stick around to preserve the legacy playstyle (normally I don't like this argument but having no Links with hookshots and traditional bombs just feels off when that movesets been around since 64). I can't see us not having a kid Link unless the roster is absolutely gutted.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I mean we did also just get Four Swords on NSO as well, so I would think that would be a point in Toon's favor, no?

Even if it isn't, I dunno, I feel like Toon Link will stick around if we have to settle on one child-style Link variant. What I'd REALLY like them to do is differentiate Toon Link with his Wind Waker kit like the leaf and the Skull Hammer, but since we can't really do that because of Sakurai's stance on familiarity (and if we were doing that I'd want Majora's Mask Young Link anyway), I think he has more differences from standard Link than Young Link does in his normals, so I'd prefer Tink just based on that.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I mean we did also just get Four Swords on NSO as well, so I would think that would be a point in Toon's favor, no?
Oops, forgot about that.
but since we can't really do that because of Sakurai's stance on familiarity
I'd think if Sakurai was okay with Ganondorf using a sword in his Smash attacks, and Luigi using the Poltergust as his grab, the Skull Hammer being used as TL's Smash attacks would be okay. Both Ganondorf and Luigi's old and new Smash attacks and grabs do what you mainly expect Smashes and grabs to do anyway, and the same would be true for TL's Smashes being changed to involve the Skull Hammer.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'd think if Sakurai was okay with Ganondorf using a sword in his Smash attacks, and Luigi using the Poltergust as his grab, the Skull Hammer being used as TL's Smash attacks would be okay. Both Ganondorf and Luigi's old and new Smash attacks and grabs do what you mainly expect Smashes and grabs to do anyway, and the same would be true for TL's Smashes being changed to involve the Skull Hammer.
I mean maybe? I could see it for Forward Smash at least, but they also changed Toon Link's Fsmash in Ultimate to just make it one big upward swinging sword slice, so I'm not so sure they'd change it again to a completely different move, though I suppose it's not impossible?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I mean maybe? I could see it for Forward Smash at least, but they also changed Toon Link's Fsmash in Ultimate to just make it one big upward swinging sword slice, so I'm not so sure they'd change it again to a completely different move, though I suppose it's not impossible?
We've already had characters with different FS's in each game they're in, and according to the Smash wiki, Bowser's had a different jab animation in every game since Brawl.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, the thing is, the Skull Hammer makes potential sense for the Down or Forward Smashes, but the Up Smash is a lot harder to justify. This isn't a regular Hammer. It's a massive one with a single swing to crush an enemy, and does have a side swing otherwise. It doesn't really work as all 3 Smashes. Broadswords like Ganondorf's makes sense due to it still being a Sword.

Within its design, just being the Down Smash fits much better, since the idea of that specifically making an enemy buried fits rather well too. He has other weapons, so maybe they can see some good use. Though not as many as some Zelda games either, but he isn't WW Link. He's also from PH and ST due to being a design, not a specific person(which even Young Link is treated as, funnily enough, but he doesn't really much reference MM either outside of what his home stage is in Melee, respectively. MM gets multiple stuff on its own otherwise).

I don't remember all the items among PH and ST, but using some of those would help change it up too. Deku Leaf having a use would be nice. Like it being Up B, or just Up B in the air. You could also make his Forward or Up Smash different by having that be the Hurricane Spin, a new take on it(it does help that it sends opponents upwards). It wouldn't be as good as the current one due to how the range works, possibly, but he's quite easy to change up. It's also worth noting that him having the same specials is a Tradition Sakurai does for both of the Child Links, so they may also be a variant of each other regardless. This doesn't mean Toy Link would do that, though, just the other two are stated as that.

Toy Zelda would be kind of neat, though, since she stands out much more uniquely than Toon Zelda(who ultimately had few defined skills. We still don't know what the Light Force is, her Light Arrow is not specific to that character, and the Phantom Knight is the actual Fighter anyway in some cases. That said, her being a Puppet Fighter more like Rosalina & Luma wouldn't be a bad idea. It'd do a lot better than the original usage of just essentially becoming that form like in Hyrule Warriors. Albeit, it's pretty clear that Zelda's gameplay in Echoes of Wisdom is a similar concept of "Possessing an enemy to fight for you", so it's probably just an evolution of the idea. The biggest thing the Phantom Knights did were making the game more puzzle-based, much like they did with a lot of "drawing" in Phantom Hourglass. Taking advantage of the DS Touch Screen and all~).

Top Bottom