• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean they were designed by an actual adult manga artist
Truth be told, a lot of artists, both western and eastern, do that.

It's one of the easiest ways to break into the industry. I've heard it's decent anatomy practice too.

Disney has a vault of all sorts of NSFW stuff from their artists that they don't want to be released into the public. It's really common.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I mean, that is kinda messed up. Well, messed up in terms of a game that is not for adults like whatever adult manga the artist is to happen to draw characters for.
Are you trying to make the claim that if someone has done H-work, they shouldn't be allowed to work on anything else?

Because that would be more messed up.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Where does one draw the line between what qualifies as indie here? It feels weird to categorize Shantae as one considering WayForward's large portfolio of games and longevity in the industry. I dunno, it always felt a little weird that she's classified as an indie character.
I guess she’s kind of grandfathered in. Wayforward wasn’t always as big as they are, and they’re still a smaller scale independent studio anyway, just working with big cred studios. Shantae’s trajectory as a character / series is interesting because that original Game Boy game was published by Capcom lol. But Risky’s Revenge and Pirate’s Curse were generally considered as much, Half Genie Hero was straight up a Kickstarter campaign.

I guess we could argue by proxy Quote isn’t quite an indie character anymore either. Like, different and quite unfortunate circumstances, but nonetheless. It feels like the label as we understand it is more tailored into that characters’s history and legacy… which I guess begs the question if Steve is actually our first indie character. I feel like getting swallowed by a corporation as massive as Microsoft kinda makes that moot, personally, but to each their own.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Are you trying to make the claim that if someone has done H-work, they shouldn't be allowed to work on anything else?

Because that would be more messed up.
Oh no! Not at all. It is just surprising that a company like Nintendo happened to let that guy do some artwork for the game. Not that something like this is new for Nintendo, of course, but still.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I guess I wonder is do you guys think there has been a time where Over-Sexualization has been to the Benefit of a Game (and not just eyes on the game, but also that the Game's Essence is better off with the Sexiness instead of without)?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I guess I wonder is do you guys think there has been a time where Over-Sexualization has been to the Benefit of a Game (and not just eyes on the game, but also that the Game's Essence is better off with the Sexiness instead of without)?
I'mma be honest. I do think a game without sexiness could happen, but could it work? To me, it is actually hard to say, given how many people like that sort of thing in media.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
which I guess begs the question if Steve is actually our first indie character. I feel like getting swallowed by a corporation as massive as Microsoft kinda makes that moot, personally, but to each their own.
It's the reason I don't think the grandfathering argument flies. Steve started as an indie character, but he sure as **** isn't one now.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's the reason I don't think the grandfathering argument flies. Steve started as an indie character, but he sure as **** isn't one now.
And does it NOT help that his company was brought out by Microsoft long before he came into Smash Bros.?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Barring NSFW games and the strange cases like Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball.

Bayonetta. Bayonetta uses the sexualization for style. A big part of that is because Bayonetta loves every minute of it.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Oh no! Not at all. It is just surprising that a company like Nintendo happened to let that guy do some artwork for the game. Not that something like this is new for Nintendo, of course, but still.
Yeah its almost like they dont have a stick up their *** about whether a character design is considered fanservicey. The same guy also desgined Lora from the same series who in no way looks overtly sexy and has a GREAT design imo
Lora_Artwork 30% resize.png

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah its almost like they dont have a stick up their *** about whether a character design is considered fanservicey. The same guy also desgined Lora from the same series who in no way looks overtly sexy and has a GREAT design imo
View attachment 386517
Well, there is that. STILL, I never said the artist was incapable of making non-sexualized characters, so I knew there had to be exceptions.

Noipoi

Howdy!
America has always been too puritan, social media just masked it at first and then just let people engulf themselves in it even more.
I dunno why this has to be a thing about America’s puritanical values. I just think the sword girls look dumb :nifty:

Fun Smash characters, though. Too bad I’ll never play their home game.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I know...was just making a statement about my country on an aspect I cant stand.
From one American to another....

We really aren't puritanical. Like at all. Arguing that we are, isn't going to help your point.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Barring NSFW games and the strange cases like Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball.

Bayonetta. Bayonetta uses the sexualization for style. A big part of that is because Bayonetta loves every minute of it.
Which says a lot because most Bayonetta fans (not all, of course) are either women or gay men who find the overt femininity and sexuality of her character empowering.

So the sexualization of Bayonetta isn't even "enjoyed" in a gross way like Pyra's or Camilla's (FE) is.

It's sad that people are arguing in favor of her being cut due to that stupid new age rating law. She's so original (and valuable to a non-insignificant demographic of Smash's playerbase).

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, what other indie characters would you all want to see in the next Smash Bros.?

I go with Cuphead, and Celeste.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Are there any scrumkly mascot platformers where the main protagonist isn't an anthropomorphic animal?

Well, outside of stuff like Mario, Mega Man, Rayman, Kirby, Vectorman, you get the point.

There is no cartoony platform game with a plant protagonist btw.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Which says a lot because most Bayonetta fans (not all, of course) are either women or gay men who find the overt femininity and sexuality of her character empowering.

So the sexualization of Bayonetta isn't even "enjoyed" in a gross way like Pyra's or Camilla's (FE) is.
I know Bayonetta has a large queer fanbase but is it really most? Do we have sources on that?

And... Let's be real. Bayonetta isn't escaping that kind of sexualization either. Sexualization doesn't magically become worse or better because one demographic likes it or dislikes it. Bayonetta is still indulgent and wish fulfillment. It's just a different kind. Calling other forms of indulgence and wish fulfillment gross is a tad hypocritical.

I know I said Shantae characters was sexist, but I said the designs were okay. It was how they were portrayed that I took issue with.

So... I'll defend Pyra. I ain't defending Camilla though, lmao.

Regardless, we've fully moved away from Smash. We should probably move the topic back to it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I know Bayonetta has a large queer fanbase but is it really most? Do we have sources on that?

And... Let's be real. Bayonetta isn't escaping that kind of sexualization either. Sexualization doesn't magically become worse or better because one demographic likes it or dislikes it. Bayonetta is still indulgent and wish fulfillment. It's just a different kind. Calling other forms of indulgence and wish fulfillment gross is a tad hypocritical.

I know I said Shantae characters was sexist, but I said the designs were okay. It was how they were portrayed that I took issue with.

So... I'll defend Pyra. I ain't defending Camilla though, lmao.

Regardless, we've fully moved away from Smash. We should probably move the topic back to it.
That was most definitely my fault. I guess I should not have brought up the sexism thing. Now, to try and get back on topic, let me bring up this earlier post again.

So, what other indie characters would you all want to see in the next Smash Bros.?

I go with Cuphead, and Celeste.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Are there any scrumkly mascot platformers where the main protagonist isn't an anthropomorphic animal?

Well, outside of stuff like Mario, Mega Man, Rayman, Kirby, Vectorman, you get the point.

There is one where the mascot is in fact the distilled embodiment of cool:

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman

Well there's the main character of Treasure Master, Scooter. Look at this dude walk.

Imagine THAT in Smash Bros.

Top Bottom