• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

News: How Fans Brought Back K. Rool

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This is a transcript of part of the latest Kongversation, with comments from DK Vine co-founder Hyle Russell. The comments have been sort of alluded to over the past few days in the K. Rool social thread and across various Discord channels, so I wanted to throw the entirety of the remarks up there and let you all evaluate for yourselves. I can't speak to every minute thing Mr. Throat has ever shared, but I can vouch for Hyle as a trustworthy guy who has long disliked the propagation of nonsense from various fake "leakers," and he says he got tipped off about the Tropical Freeze port before its announcement.

"So, as you know, I do have an informal source within Nintendo, call him 'DAVE THROAT,' and he, or she or it or nebulous shadow creature, first reached out to us at E3 2015, when we were out at E3 for the first time, and has since made contact every now and again. Did not get anything from Dave Throat about K. Rool in Smash, so I was completely taken aback by this, but I did get contacted by Dave Throat today [August 8], and basically, just a brief little, I guess, summary of how this came to be, K. Rool in Smash.

I'm not going to read it verbatim, but basically, so, regardless of the ballot, the Smash Ballot back in 2014 [2015], K. Rool was never going to be in the game then. They basically were using the Smash Ballot as, basically to get the fans to feel like they had some input, to gauge what the fans actually wanted, but actually they were more predictive about what they thought the fans wanted. So things like Bayonetta were already in the works before the Smash Ballot was finalized. And so that's why they had to do such loose justification with Bayonetta's reveal and say 'Oh, she was near the top of the list in Europe or somewhere, I dunno.'

They were completely taken aback by the amount of support K. Rool got, completely blew them away. They had no idea that the character had any popularity. And that's why we got the Mii costume in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, that was more of a late, last-minute eleventh hour consolation prize, as a little nod saying 'K. Rool, we had no idea, this is the best we can give you right now. There you go.' But that's why we got K. Rool in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It was the Kremling Kampaigners, it was the fans, it was everybody listening to this that filled out that goddamn ballot, who made campaign and petition and made yourself vocally heard. It was because of you."

brief filler in which Hyle says how awesome he thinks that is

"And also, there have been other parties within Nintendo that have wanted to bring K. Rool back before this, but people have shut them down before this point, and apparently now that is going to change."

So yeah, this is not to say K. Rool WON the ballot, as has been spread as misinformation in some circles, but his final performance was extraordinary enough to send reverberations through Nintendo, most importantly -apparently- including Nintendo of Japan.

To shed further light, per Hyle, per his sources (Mr. Throat or otherwise), K. Rool's hiatus boiled down to "internal apathy and factional disagreements." I have since been able to independently confirm through two sources that one of the parties that wanted to bring back K. Rool sooner was none other than Retro Studios. They were interested in putting K. Rool in the Tropical Freeze Switch port as an extra boss, but were denied with no reasoning given. This reportedly was because by that point, after the ballot, Sakurai already was planning on reviving the character himself.

Editor's Note 11/22/18 - Since the above paragraph has been a topic of discussion in some spheres, I do want to clarify: I couldn't tell you whether Sakurai himself made a personal request to revive K. Rool in Smash, whether the decision came from Nintendo or the two reached that agreement together. The headline is, it was decided and enforced, presumably after the ballot, that Smash Ultimate would be where the character came back, not anywhere else beforehand.

Editor’s Note 12/22/20 - More than two years after my previous note, people are still sourcing this thread to circulate the idea that Sakurai “called dibs” on reviving K. Rool and unilaterally blocked Retro from putting him in Tropical Freeze Switch. That was my direct quote of the colloquial phrasing I initially received on this matter, but in hindsight I regret how users regularly have taken this out of context. As such, I have rephrased this portion of my initial writeup. On a lesser note, I have noted that, surprise, surprise, K. Rool was conceptualized as an extra boss, in place of my previous note that Retro wanted him in the port “in some capacity.”

Personally speaking, I'm glad things happened the way they did. I already think Ultimate K. Rool is a perfect representation, and a brilliant new stage in the character's evolution. More importantly, having K. Rool reappear first as a secret final boss in a(n admittedly amazing) port of a Wii U game just wouldn't have the same impact as him coming aboard in maybe -the- highest-profile gaming crossover there is, one that will become one of, if not THE top seller on Switch. And from our perspective, it leaves zero doubt as to our role in bringing him back, in a way that the relevance-minded would spin if he showed up in TF Switch, even if (like with Ridley and Samus Returns) he got put on the design document years beforehand.

So yeah. The higher-ups needed an unmistakable demonstration of support for K. Rool to consider bringing him back, and you Kutthroats pulled out all the stops with the ballot to make that happen. This is likely going to remain an under-reported success story Smash/DK fans have had, and others might cast aspersions if they don't like some of the details, but you all know what you did, and can pat yourselves on the back proud of it. Mission akkomplished.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
So I guess in a way all of our conspiracy theories were right... there was some wierd issues keeping K. Rool from the games, the higher ups did have something against him... at least this turn of events will hopefully have K. Rool have his big comeback now. Especially since Sakurai is getting the credit for his return..

Tubbers09

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tubbers09
3DS FC
4811-7028-1398
Switch FC
5712-1549-9596
The feeling that fan demand can bring a character back from obscurity is awesome. I'm a huge Nintendo fan but they seem to either ignore fan feedback or just make what they wanna make fans be damned. This trend has slowly started to change recently though with Smash Ultimate and I hope we can see fan feedback taken into account when it comes to other series (Paper Mario please). Reading this is great because from the sound of it K Rool is here to stay and I can't wait to see his return to the Donkey Kong series.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Amazing...

This was a fight well fought and well worth it. I had no idea just how badly I wanted KKR in the game until I saw him revealed at long last.

And I can't wait to have him back in the next DKC game because it's about damn time!

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I never believe any "inside sources" but, hey, if it is indeed true, it's good news for K. Rool.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Knowing all of this, not only is his return to the series inevitable, but we might see him pop in Mario spinoffs. Our King's glorious return is all thanks to the fans. Us. We kampaigned hard and we did everything we could to show our support, and Sakurai listened. Nintendo listened. It's already been a week and I still can't believe it. Long live the King!

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
This is Suchens great story, I love it.

Best part here is that dakurai wanted to be the guy to bring him back and I‘d say he did our Kung justice!

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
I'll shed my readily-available single tear of the day on this. Smash fans are notorious for reminding Nintendo of the games that got them on board in their childhoods, and Ultimate is Nintendo's response to the love of its own history. Great story.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
" I have since been able to independently confirm through two sources that one of the parties that wanted to bring back K. Rool sooner was none other than Retro Studios.
The CEO of Retro Studios did support the twitter campaign to bring back K. Rool so this is totally believable.

D

Deleted member

Man, im just..........shocked.

Like, talk about the power of the consumer. I never thought we had THAT much of an effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Now let's hope that this holds true for the rest of our top ballot picks.

Isaac, Geno, after this, now is the time.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Wow, that's absolutely amazing. You guys truly managed to bring this character back from the dead in every sense of the word. And before seeing all the support for Smash, I had no idea who this character was or why I should care. I never cared for the Donkey Kong games, anyways, as they're just not my thing. But you guys have gotten me to appreciate K. Rool as a wacky character that I actually want to try out when the game releases.

Great job everyone. :ultkrool:

Meanwhile I'm still here wondering how the hell Dark Samus happened, because I have no idea where any support for her came from. I actually voted for her in the ballot because I wanted her, but I also wanted a new Metroid character and Ridley seemed impossible by then. I don't know of anyone else who was inclined to vote for her instead of Ridley or literally anyone else.

Now let's hope that this holds true for the rest of our top ballot picks.

Isaac, Geno, after this, now is the time.
If they got good ballot results, I'm sure they will. Geno especially, given that Sakurai's wanted him for a while, there was the costume in Smash 4, and they're still working with Square.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Meanwhile I'm still here wondering how the hell Dark Samus happened, because I have no idea where any support for her came from. I actually voted for her in the ballot because I wanted her, but I also wanted a new Metroid character and Ridley seemed impossible by then. I don't know of anyone else who was inclined to vote for her instead of Ridley or literally anyone else.
I think Dark Samus may have been just high enough on the internal poll to become an echo, but not enough to be tracked on the fanpoll results.

This is supported by the fact that Daisy and Chrom also appear on the fanpolls, but not as high as many of the other picks. Sakurai likely saw them as able to be based from existing characters, and added echos as a design philosophy to those that didn't get their choice as high.

Last edited:

tecmo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
egold562
It seems like king krool fans are taking credit for his inclusion in smash ultimate. Now this may come off as raining on your guys parade but I think it needs to be said. Let’s not forget who is actually working on the character and the whole game as well, not the fans but the devs.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I'd like to be honest, this felt so refreshing and comfortable. I'm very happy for you fans.

Hoping to recruit him in Ultimate's release!

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
>K. Rool is literally so popular that various Nintendo devs (Retro, Sakurai) wanted to be the first person to bring him back.

Glorious, even if he didn't technically win the ballot, him proving he's that popular is winning to me.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I think Dark Samus may have been just high enough on the internal poll to become an echo, but not enough to be tracked on the fanpoll results.
If you mean high on the official ballot but not high on the unofficial fan polls that float around, then yeah, that's what I'd guess. After all, Sakurai said in the direct that she and Chrom were highly-requested characters. But that just raises so many more questions. There's no way Dark Samus was as highly requested as Chrom. And where are the people who voted for her now? Where did they go? Dark Samus is not a breakout character like Geno or something. Her support thread prior to the announcement was one of the smallest in the subforum. Hopefully someday the mystery will be unraveled.

It seems like king krool fans are taking credit for his inclusion in smash ultimate. Now this may come off as raining on your guys parade but I think it needs to be said. Let’s not forget who is actually working on the character and the whole game as well, not the fans but the devs.
The same devs (or developer, Sakurai) that said "No" to Ridley twice before the continued huge amount of support changed his mind. This is a game being made by the devs, but clearly being made for the fans. Nintendo wanted K. Rool dead for some reason even in his own series and wouldn't even listen to that series's current developers, but the fans' support for the character got him brought back to the spotlight for Smash.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
If you mean high on the official ballot but not high on the unofficial fan polls that float around, then yeah, that's what I'd guess. After all, Sakurai said in the direct that she and Chrom were highly-requested characters. But that just raises so many more questions. There's no way Dark Samus was as highly requested as Chrom.
My thought was that we don't have a full list of highest voted characters on the fan polls. We have that data kept, but it's amalgamated into "all others". We don't know where Dark Samus places in that "all others" category. It could be just high enough for consideration, considering how Dark Samus is a lower effort echo than Chrom is.

StormC

Smash Hero
"Highly requested" could mean whatever Sakurai wants it to mean. Top 30? Top 50? Dark Samus was just an obvious echo candidate and had enough popularity to justify her inclusion for Sakurai.

K. Rool would be in a dumpster if it wasn't for us. Don't pretend that Sakurai and Nintendo suddenly cared about K. Rool after a decade without the overwhelming amount of requests from fans all over the world. We are endlessly thankful for their decision to revive him, but we won't forget that he spent this long being neglected by them either.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
"Highly requested" could mean whatever Sakurai wants it to mean. Top 30? Top 50? Dark Samus was just an obvious echo candidate and had enough popularity to justify her inclusion for Sakurai.
This is exactly what I'm saying. Big enough to be an echo, not big enough to be unique.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
We are because if it wasnt for the fan support he wouldnt have even been considered. Let's not pretend that the Devs had this idea all on their own. K. Rool was dead to Nintendo they could care less whether he was around or not. Fan voices changed that. Sure we didnt develop him into the game (which in a way we sort of did considering the sheer amount artwork and move lists litered around all sorts of forums displaying everything from special moves to redesigns) but that doesn't change the fact that if it wasn't for fans rallying together making our want of K. Rools return heard, he wouldn't be in Smash right now or anywhere near coming back if the past decade without him is anything to go by. Just sounds like you are raining on our parade.

We are EXTREMELY grateful to Sakurai and his team and to a greater extent Nintendo for listening to us and actually bringing him back. Let's face facts though he wouldn't have been developed at all had it not been for the efforts of the fans..

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
It really would be fantastic if this is the start of the K. Rool revival. I find it strange they had no idea how much people wanted K. Rool back.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
That brought tears in my eyes, thank you.
Let's hope we'll see the king more in some cross over games or party games, and of course in the next DKC game, if there is any.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well, hot damn. I knew the Kutthroats had a major role in bringing K. Rool to Smash, but saving a character from otherwise certain death?
Major kudos to you guys, seriously. You bring hope to lovers of obscure characters everywhere.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
This is amazing if true. The only downer here to me is that I've always had a hunch that what Retro's been working on this whole time is a third Donkey Kong Country game to wrap up the trilogy. But this makes me think otherwise. If they were really working on a third game, I don't see why they would want to try to find some way to include King K. Rool in the port of Tropical Freeze. I feel like it would make more sense just to save him as the primary antagonist for the third one. Unless they were trying to use it in some way to set something up for a potential third game, but I can't see that happening. That's the one part of this that I'm hoping isn't true. Because I really want a third Country game to round the series out. Even though Tropical Freeze is one of the best games of all time in my eyes, it feels like a strange note to go out on. Probably just because two is a weird number to end on haha.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I echo the general sentiments of this thread about how amazing this is but...I'm also heavily worried at the fact Nintendo had no idea he was this popular until the ballot, that doesn't bode well honestly. But hopefully things change for the better and Nintendo realizes they need to listen..

This is amazing if true. The only downer here to me is that I've always had a hunch that what Retro's been working on this whole time is a third Donkey Kong Country game to wrap up the trilogy. But this makes me think otherwise. If they were really working on a third game, I don't see why they would want to try to find some way to include King K. Rool in the port of Tropical Freeze. I feel like it would make more sense just to save him as the primary antagonist for the third one. Unless they were trying to use it in some way to set something up for a potential third game, but I can't see that happening. That's the one part of this that I'm hoping isn't true. Because I really want a third Country game to round the series out. Even though Tropical Freeze is one of the best games of all time in my eyes, it feels like a strange note to go out on. Probably just because two is a weird number to end on haha.
I think it's more that they wanted to be the first to bring him back. And since the Tropical Freeze port would come out before Smash is even revealed, it makes sense. It's still possible they'd have a third DKC game featuring him regardless, in my opinion.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Let this be an example for all fanbases; never give up, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This is really tremendous work done by the K. Rool fanbase and the most sincere congratulations is in order. Looks like you guys saved your character. :)

However one thing that bothers me isn't even how Nintendo was ignorant to the K. Rool demand (that honestly doesn't surprise me) but how they can't even credit the fans in any of this, should it be true. Which is sounds like it is. To me it harkens back to Rainfall when NoA was like "yeah we were gonna do this anyway". Because we all know how often Nintendo uses the European localization and makes their titles Gamestop exclusives, or lends them out to XSEED. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, the overall takeaway from this is positive, but would it kill Nintendo to give their fans some credit? Sounds like thanks to you guys, now even people internally at Nintendo who vouched for K. Rool get to use him again. Sometimes the fanbase *gasp* actually does know what the fanbase wants better than the company, and it would just be a measure of good will to let them know how much they impacted something they care so much about. Ah well. I suppose all's well that ends well for K. Rool.

Hope we can see this kind of thing happen elsewhere...

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Without fan desire Smash would have died long ago... Just because K. Rool may not be a character everyone wanted doesn't make a large group of fans demanding him back any less impressive. Anyone and everyone who voted for K. Rool in that ballot did it. It may never be officially stated, but I'm sure Nintendo didn't give two ****s about this character even when he was in Super Sluggers. Detracting does nothing to lessen the victory we have won here.

We, as well as Ridley fans, have been through much worse, I assure you. Such a fine accomplishment through wishes/wants is no small feat. K. Rool fans in general, earned this. :) And Ridley is right there with us. TOO BIG and TOO IRRELEVANT together at last.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Wow

So it was all of us that made Nintendo realize k rool was actually that popular

I feel like one day Nintendo might apologize for not bring k rool back earlier since they didn't know he was that popular

StormC

Smash Hero
This is really tremendous work done by the K. Rool fanbase and the most sincere congratulations is in order. Looks like you guys saved your character. :)

However one thing that bothers me isn't even how Nintendo was ignorant to the K. Rool demand (that honestly doesn't surprise me) but how they can't even credit the fans in any of this, should it be true. Which is sounds like it is. To me it harkens back to Rainfall when NoA was like "yeah we were gonna do this anyway". Because we all know how often Nintendo uses the European localization and makes their titles Gamestop exclusives, or lends them out to XSEED. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, the overall takeaway from this is positive, but would it kill Nintendo to give their fans some credit? Sounds like thanks to you guys, now even people internally at Nintendo who vouched for K. Rool get to use him again. Sometimes the fanbase *gasp* actually does know what the fanbase wants better than the company, and it would just be a measure of good will to let them know how much they impacted something they care so much about. Ah well. I suppose all's well that ends well for K. Rool.

Hope we can see this kind of thing happen elsewhere...
I am still betting on Sakurai mentioning in Famitsu that K. Rool was "very highly requested" or whatnot. I doubt he will name the ballot.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Congratulations, everyone! I am blown away at your dedication towards this character and the impacts it has had. It just goes to show that amazing things can happen with enough teamwork, support, and patience. I am happy that the King is back and hope to see him appear in more games.

Pakky

Smash Hero
This is a transcript of part of the latest Kongversation, with comments from DK Vine co-founder Hyle Russell. The comments have been sort of alluded to over the past few days in the K. Rool social thread and across various Discord channels, so I wanted to throw the entirety of the remarks up there and let you all evaluate for yourselves. I can't speak to every minute thing Mr. Throat has ever shared, but I can vouch for Hyle as a trustworthy guy who has long disliked the propagation of nonsense from various fake "leakers," and he says he got tipped off about the Tropical Freeze port before its announcement.

"So, as you know, I do have an informal source within Nintendo, call him 'DAVE THROAT,' and he, or she or it or nebulous shadow creature, first reached out to us at E3 2015, when we were out at E3 for the first time, and has since made contact every now and again. Did not get anything from Dave Throat about K. Rool in Smash, so I was completely taken aback by this, but I did get contacted by Dave Throat today [August 8], and basically, just a brief little, I guess, summary of how this came to be, K. Rool in Smash.

I'm not going to read it verbatim, but basically, so, regardless of the ballot, the Smash Ballot back in 2014 [2015], K. Rool was never going to be in the game then. They basically were using the Smash Ballot as, basically to get the fans to feel like they had some input, to gauge what the fans actually wanted, but actually they were more predictive about what they thought the fans wanted. So things like Bayonetta were already in the works before the Smash Ballot was finalized. And so that's why they had to do such loose justification with Bayonetta's reveal and say 'Oh, she was near the top of the list in Europe or somewhere, I dunno.'

They were completely taken aback by the amount of support K. Rool got, completely blew them away. They had no idea that the character had any popularity. And that's why we got the Mii costume in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, that was more of a late, last-minute eleventh hour consolation prize, as a little nod saying 'K. Rool, we had no idea, this is the best we can give you right now. There you go.' But that's why we got K. Rool in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It was the Kremling Kampaigners, it was the fans, it was everybody listening to this that filled out that goddamn ballot, who made campaign and petition and made yourself vocally heard. It was because of you."

*brief filler in which Hyle says how awesome he thinks that is*

"And also, there have been other parties within Nintendo that have wanted to bring K. Rool back before this, but people have shut them down before this point, and apparently now that is going to change."

So yeah, this is not to say K. Rool WON the ballot, as has been spread as misinformation in some circles, but his final performance was extraordinary enough to send reverberations through Nintendo, most importantly -apparently- including Nintendo of Japan.

To shed further light, per Hyle, per his sources (Mr. Throat or otherwise), K. Rool's hiatus boiled down to "internal apathy and factional disagreements." I have since been able to independently confirm through two sources that one of the parties that wanted to bring back K. Rool sooner was none other than Retro Studios. They were interested in putting K. Rool in the Tropical Freeze Switch port in some capacity, but were denied with no reasoning given. This reportedly was because after the ballot Sakurai had personally called dibs on reviving the character himself.

Personally speaking, I'm glad he did. I already think Ultimate K. Rool is a perfect representation, and a brilliant new stage in the character's evolution. More importantly, having K. Rool reappear first as a secret final boss in a(n admittedly amazing) port of a Wii U game just wouldn't have the same impact as him coming aboard in maybe -the- highest-profile gaming crossover there is, one that will become one of, if not THE top seller on Switch. And from our perspective, it leaves zero doubt as to our role in bringing him back, in a way that the relevance-minded would spin if he showed up in TF Switch, even if (like with Ridley and Samus Returns) he got put on the design document years beforehand.

So yeah. The higher-ups needed an unmistakable demonstration of support for K. Rool to consider bringing him back, and you Kutthroats pulled out all the stops with the ballot to make that happen. This is likely going to remain an under-reported success story Smash/DK fans have had, and others might cast aspersions if they don't like some of the details, but you all know what you did, and can pat yourselves on the back proud of it. Mission akkomplished.
Bravo!

THIS is proof that there was some shady (odd apathy) stuff going on behind the scenes and the Kostume being a response to fan outcry. (Like most of us said back in the day)

Hopefully, NOW we can get things back on track, Kheers everyone!

D

Deleted member

BKupa666 BKupa666 , do you have a timestamp for when Hyle says all that you quoted?

I assume it comes from this video, right?

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
This is so cool to hear about, and it really raises my hopes for a certain other Rare duo.

As a Mario series fan and someone who grew up loving DK 64, I'm really happy for other K Rool fans. They made this happen for sure, and really should give themselves a pat on the back.

Top Bottom