• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
You sound very certain for that scenario. SE watched over Sakurai's shoulder for Cloud, and that ended fine. Nintendo fans can also be DBZ fans, I bet that most are. Licensing is a major hold-up, but I doubt it's as impossible as you're making it. Especially if discussed well beforehand.
Yeah, but Square Enix owns the rights to Cloud in every region of the world, Goku has multiple license holders across the world. Also adding Goku would delay the game by at least a year alone, from all the leg work needed to go to every region around the world, and that's to just get a hold of all the license holders, then add in the meetings you need to do, then the need for the contracts to be signed, then add the cost of finally being able to actually build Goku in as a character.

And then you need to factor something else in, Nintendo's business side of the equation, cause while Nintendo devs are mainly creative, remember a good number of the higher ups are greedy, plus add in that Nintendo doesn't like losing control of any aspect of the their IPs, remember this was one the main reasons as to why they killed the deal they made with Sony on the Nintendo Playstation after all.

So in short, add all this together, Goku and non-video game characters are never happening, cause they'd cost to much money to bring in, all their rights issues for a game that gets released worldwide, and finally Nintendo's dislike from not being able to control their IPs, and having to share to much profit with a bunch of different groups and companies.

Though it's not a spot on comparison, that new movie Ready Player One has been getting the rights to literally hundreds of different franchises. If they can do that I'm sure Nintendo can get the rights to a handful or two of guys to put in their cash cow of a franchise.
Eh, a quick cameo in a movie, isn't exactly along the lines of having a character have a full on playable appearance in a video-game.

Also, can we discuss what I actually wanted to talk about? You know a potential Nintendo rep, who takes from Nintendo arcade games, from the Golden age of arcades.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
Eh, a quick cameo in a movie, isn't exactly along the lines of having a character have a full on playable appearance in a video-game.
Yes, that's why I said it's not a spot on comparison, but I still think it's some food for thought. Again, even if most of them are just cameos, there's literally hundreds of them, it leads me to believe that getting the rights to characters is not as clear cut impossible as you seem to think.

Also, can we discuss what I actually wanted to talk about? You know a potential Nintendo rep, who takes from Nintendo arcade games, from the Golden age of arcades.
I'm not to familiar with Nintendo arcade games, as I'm sure most people here also aren't, so I hope you understand why this topic isn't really going anywhere.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Likely Candidates:
Captain Toad
Tails
Young Link
Paper Mario
Gen 8 Pokemon

Possible Candidates:
3DS Character
Fire Emblum Character
Gen 7 Pokemon
Ice Climbers

Unlikely:
Waluigi

Fane

Smash Journeyman
I might as well share my thoughts on this.

Likely Candidates:
-Captain Toad
-ARMS representative (Spring Man/Ribbon Girl likely)
-New LoZ character from BotW
-Gen 7 Pokemon (Decidueye, Lycanroc, Tapu Koko likely)
-Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western)
-Takamaru (Mysterious Murasame Castle)
-Rex/Pyra (Xenoblade 2)
-Alph (Pikmin)

Somewhat Likely Candidates:
-Marshal (Rhythm Heaven)
-Dixie Kong
-Chibi-Robo
-Bandana Dee (Kirby)
-Tempo (Harmoknight)

Characters I'd love to see that likely won't make it:
-Skull Kid
-Petey Piranha
-Chrom (Fire Emblem)
-Medusa (Kid Icarus)
-Lord Fredrik (Donkey Kong)
-Poipole (Pokemon)

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I can't imagine Dillon being likely or Tempo even being considered tbh.
He's had 3 games, and since he's had 3 games he's proven enough to be popular with Nintendo's fanbase. So from the Wii U/3DS era, he's the third most likely candidate after Mallo from the Pushmo series.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
He's had 3 games, and since he's had 3 games he's proven enough to be popular with Nintendo's fanbase. So from the Wii U/3DS era, he's the third most likely candidate after Mallo from the Pushmo series.
Starfy's had 5 games, Paper Mario has had like 6 or 7 at this point, Chibi Robo has had 5, none of them has had a chance yet. Era matters, but it hasn't shown to matter for franchises as small as that.

The only reason I'd give Dillon a semblance of a doubt isn't because the amount of games or era, but the fact he got a Assist Trophy, which means Sakurai at least noticed him. Still to call him likely is a stretch.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Something accured to me

Since a gen 7 Pokémon is definitely on the top of are minds

Isn't the ultra beast candidates?

But I'm sure they could just end up as pokeball item status

Luminario

Smash Lord
Something accured to me

Since a gen 7 Pokémon is definitely on the top of are minds

Isn't the ultra beast candidates?

But I'm sure they could just end up as pokeball item status
It's certainly a possibility, UBs were the main focus of the story. Nihilego seems to be the "leader" of the UBs but Buzzwole and Pheromosa have more workable designs.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
It's certainly a possibility, UBs were the main focus of the story. Nihilego seems to be the "leader" of the UBs but Buzzwole and Pheromosa have more workable designs.
I think Poipole would be the most likely choice. It was quite popular when it was first revealed and played a pretty big role in the story of the most recent games, and it's now playing a pretty large part in the Anime. Plus it'd be entirely unique considering it's typing and moveset. It'd likely have moves like Poison Jab, Dragon Pulse, Venoshock, Fell Stinger, etc...

I'd really want Poipole to be the Gen 7 addition the MOST, but I feel like we'll be seeing Decidueye, which would be unfortunate since that's TOO obvious and it's moveset would just be a mix and match of Pit, Link, and it'd probably take some of Ivysaur's moves as well.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Can confirm Poipole is pretty awesome...

With said as far as Gen 7 pokes go...
Decidueye and Incineroar seem to be the frontrunners, while surprises like Mimikyu or Lycanroc could also sneak into the game...

I've heard people talk about Zeraora as a potential candidate but I doubt it honestly...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If they did an Alola Pokemon Trainer in the same format ol' Red, which family would be at what stage?

Rowlett line: I'm thinking it's 50/50 on it being Decidueye or Rowlett as both are popular in their own right.
Litten line: I'm thinking Torracat or Inceneroar. Ash has got Torracat in the anime now and they've been pushing Incenaroar with the last movie and the Maked Royal arc in the anime too.
Poplio line: The whole line has the same basic body shape so any of them could work with the same moveset.

So my picks are

Rowlett-Brionne-Incenaroar (personal pick)
Poplio-Torracat-Decidueye
or Rowlett-Torracat-Primarina

D

Deleted member

If they did an Alola Pokemon Trainer in the same format ol' Red, which family would be at what stage?

Rowlett line: I'm thinking it's 50/50 on it being Decidueye or Rowlett as both are popular in their own right.
Litten line: I'm thinking Torracat or Inceneroar. Ash has got Torracat in the anime now and they've been pushing Incenaroar with the last movie and the Maked Royal arc in the anime too.
Poplio line: The whole line has the same basic body shape so any of them could work with the same moveset.

So my picks are

Rowlet-Brionne-Incineroar

Rowlet is the CLEAR most popular of the line and of the base starters, with merchandise solely revolved around it that none of the others can claim.
While Primarina is the most popular of the Popplio line, Brionne would be a bit easier to work with in terms of functionality.
Incineroar has the promotional aspect and would be much easier to work with than Torracat.

Last edited by a moderator:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

So my picks are

I'll go with the one everyone would hate the most Litten-Datrix-Primarina

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don’t see Alola Trainer happening. If they bring back the whole Trainer gimmick it’d stand to reason that they’d bring back OG Trainer (since Squirtle and Ivysaur are vets and people want them back, plus they already have movesets). They could have both, but that’s 6 Pokémon to program, so it doesn’t seem likely to me.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
My theory that I stole is that every wtf character is based off of hardware peripherals from Nintendo's history. This makes LaboMan's chances look all the better, like 2 or even 3%

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
No it isn't. The theory has credibility but your looking too into it.
Not really a theory. It's more of a plausibility.

We also need to remember that Sakurai takes a lot of creative liberties when it comes to new additions. The Retro characters are key examples of this, and Wii Fit Trainer is another.

I for one, wouldn't be surprised to see 'LaboMan' as a 'wtf character', but I still find it unlikely.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I honestly would be surprised.
Would be pretty ballsy for Sakurai to add a character for Labo to Smash's roster around 2 years before it's even announced.
Considering the Inklings weren't in SSB4 you have a point.
But the man is pretty unpredictable and prompt to surprises.
He has already brocken some rules he made up himself:
"No more than two third party characters. Only third party characters whose games have been on a Nintendo console and are important for Nintendo's history".

D

Deleted member

Considering the Inklings weren't in SSB4 you have a point.
But the man is pretty unpredictable and prompt to surprises.
He has already brocken some rules he made up himself:
"No more than two third party characters. Only third party characters whose games have been on a Nintendo console and are important for Nintendo's history".
The first one was a "rule" he stated for Brawl specifically.
And it wasn't a rule. He just said that the game would have only one or two more guests not including Snake. And that was true. It was only Snake and Sonic.

And the last two are misconception. He never said the character's game had to be on a Nintendo system, though that is something that is looked at when deciding whether or not a guest would be given consideration.
In Cloud's case, while FF7 hasn't been on a Nintendo system, Cloud himself HAS. And it's because of that fact that Sakurai was ok with Cloud, saying that if he hadn't made any appearance AT ALL that there would have been misgivings about the idea.

He also did not say that a character had to be important to Nintendo's history. That was a fan-made rule.

D

Deleted member

And what about the "only videogame originated characters" rule that hasn't been broken yet? Is that a fan invented rule?
Technically yes.

Sakurai did state that no manga characters would be joining the battle for Brawl and stated characters like Goku and SpongeBob were "impossible", but it was never any steadfast rule that a guest had to be original to a video game.

Rather it's merely something that's not likely to actually happen due to why he would say those kind of things. In that those kind of characters are a LOT more difficult to obtain the rights for than the average guest.
To the point they may as well be "impossible" due to the sheer number of companies that would have to be negotiated with instead of just one like Sega for Sonic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
So... How do you rate the impossibility for Hello Kitty and Pepsiman to join the roster?
After the Mercedes things in Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario Kart 8 I'm not sure of anything anymore.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So... How do you rate the impossibility for Hello Kitty and Pepsiman to join the roster?
After the Mercedes things in Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario Kart 8 I'm not sure of anything anymore.
Neither are happening. Pepsiman is literally 0%, there's just no a chance in hell. I know you might be thinking "well you can never say never" but I will, right now, he will never happen...ever. Thinking Pepsiman has a chance is like thinking a character you just drew up and told no one else about, has a chance.

Hello Kitty, I'd give 0.0000 (continue on until we get 1 in there somewhere). It's pretty close to impossible, but at least she's an icon in a different medium, so if by chance we start getting those 4th party characters, she has a (still really really really small) chance, but it's still a chance, but it's still really super small.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Their chances?
Less than Goku.

It's not like they are heavily requested characters that would warrant brief consideration. And unless Pepsi Co. or Sanrio wanted to strike a promotional deal that involves Smash for whatever reason, the two would never even cross Sakurai's mind.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So I just logged back onto Smashboards for the first time in 4 years and took a quick look at the numbers. Could someone explain to me why Daisy and Krystal are so popular/controversial?

I expected Ridley to be popular because of reasons, but didn't expect Daisy and Krystal to outpace the likes of K. Rool. Did a Star Fox/Mario sports crossover happen?

I wouldn't mind these characters being added by the way.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So I just logged back onto Smashboards for the first time in 4 years and took a quick look at the numbers. Could someone explain to me why Daisy and Krystal are so popular/controversial?

I expected Ridley to be popular because of reasons, but didn't expect Daisy and Krystal to outpace the likes of K. Rool. Did a Star Fox/Mario sports crossover happen?

Daisy's thread, to my knowledge, basically gets treated like a social thread by her supporters. They just talk a lot, but it's mostly the same few people.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Opposum covered Daisy. Krystal is just a very dedicated group that rally behind the character, most people there only support Krystal, and make a conscious effort to make her stick out as much as possible when possible.

Both characters have designs or personalities that are divisive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom