• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Well that was surprising. I mean, Byleth looks cool, but I wasn't expecting another FE character since the rest of the pass was 3rd party. I guess this means Pokemon Sword & Shield pokemon have a chance now since we know not everything is guaranteed to be 3rd party. And 6 more characters? That's surprising too.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

Don't care, didn't buy the pass.
All third-parties disconfirmed. Porky still yet to be seen.
Vinny's livestream was hilarious and was worth it.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I feel like if Marth, Roy, Lucina and Chrom didn't share 90% of their moveset, the FE additions wouldn't be so divisive. I was thinking to myself "Why do I dislike FE characters? I'm happy for their fans, but I never like seeing more FE characters..." and I really think it's because 4 out of the 7 characters are essentially "clones" with slightly different appearances. Fox is 100% clones/semi clones, but it doesn't receive as much hate. I think maybe that's because the characters look completely different (and there are only 3 total). Mario only has 2/7 as "clones" (Or did at the beginning, Mario and Luigi are much more different now), Zelda has 3 slightly different versions of the same character but doesn't receive as much hate. It's interesting.

Droodle

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post
Also the Geno thread is mighty toxic right now.

I don't get why people are so salty Sakurai made Byleth incredibly unique, and its clear that the development team enjoyed making those characters.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Welp, Byleth to end the pass was pretty disappointing. At least the band aid was ripped off so we don’t have to worry about post pass.

Also, it should be obvious by now that Spirits deconfirm. It was no coincidence that Three Houses was the only major release this past year not to get Spirits.

Last edited:

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
Not exactly happy with another Fire Emblem character to be honest, no matter what was said. The precedent of 4 guest characters previously creates a certain expectation.

However, I can't be mad if they're planning to release 6 more characters throughout 2 years. That's pretty rad.

Last edited:

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
I can’t be the only one who thought it was going to be really crazy when Sakurai said “even Nintendo employees will be surprised by this one.” I was expecting something wild like Master Chief after that line. Seems like kind of a weird thing to say before revealing a pretty safe character.

AlgusUnderdunk

Smash Ace
I think I get most annoyed when Sakurai asks me if I know what Fire Emblem is. Yes Sakurai-san, you introduced me to them over a decade ago. Now they keep bringing their friends over, and that one never wears shoes.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Remember when I said I'd wear the Eiscue of shame if the last character was Nintendo? Well, gonna live up to it.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
The only thing that I'm sad about this Direct is that Xenoblade keeps getting snubbed for Fire Emblem in DLC promotional choices.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
This is what y'all get for doubting the possibility of first-parties.

Ben Holt time to smash an egg to your face like you said you would!

. . .And yeah, I did buy the Fighter Pass now. Byleth is fine by me.

D

Deleted member

Byleth is going to be the new focus of Hate despite looking kinda cool. I felt bad for Corrin last game; being the last DLC revealed and actually looking cool and unique but everyone hating on them just because it was a FE character. Now Byleth will suffer that same fate.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I don’t read think byleth raises the chances of a new Pokemon and this is coming from someone who would absolutely love a new Pokemon in game. Three houses main giveaway was the lack of a spirit event while Pokemon just got one a few months back which suggests they weren’t seriously considering a Pokemon character

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Seven fighters over two years is a pace I can deal with, but I don't know if it's a pace I can deal with dealing with the fanbase with.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie....pretty disappointing and low-key salty to end the pass with Byleth. Would have much preferred if they were the first character for the second pass. Ending the first pass with Byleth was pretty unsatisfying to me. The best thing announced in terms of current DLC was Cuphead getting a costume and surprised Assassin's Creed got a costume. Getting 6-7 fighters for the second pass was awesome, though.

No offense to any of those who liked Byleth's reveal, good for you guys. I'm just not one of them unfortunately...

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Byleth is going to be the new focus of Hate despite looking kinda cool. I felt bad for Corrin last game; being the last DLC revealed and actually looking cool and unique but everyone hating on them just because it was a FE character. Now Byleth will suffer that same fate.
However, neither of them were the end of DLC entirely for their respective games.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I guess "new worlds" can also mean an actual new game?

Or, well, Reggie misspoke again.

I didn't think it was inherently new franchises, but this was unexpected. Either way, this'll be interesting to play as.
The thing is people assumed "New Worlds" meant Solely new IPs and not just new games in general. Really anything that does not have a Spirit is fair game.

Oh and for those curious of what the January 16 news for DMC was, it seems to be a statue.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Oh boy can't wait to see the FP11 will be disappointing because Byleth arguments.

Byleth comes with all these weapons and yet you choose to use a salt lick.
Kind of disappointing that the house leaders didn't show up in the moveset though.

You are kidding yourself if you think first parties have a shot because fire emblem made it in.
Fire Emblem is first party, therefore DLC isn't restricted to 3rd parties.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I can't share the common sentiment because I like Byleth and Three Houses, so I'm just gonna laugh at how this all snuck up on us. This was both totally unexpected and yet completely expected, because of course Smash is going to add another Fire Emblem character. Who knew those missing Three Houses spirits were the real clue all along?

In other brief news, I welcome Altair and Cuphead into the Mii costumes, and it's nice to know we've got six whole newcomers coming up this time, now with Nintendo characters back in the mix.

(And hey, I guess LCB got their female character after all! Well, half the time.)

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I can’t be the only one who thought it was going to be really crazy when Sakurai said “even Nintendo employees will be surprised by this one.” I was expecting something wild like Master Chief after that line. Seems like kind of a weird thing to say before revealing a pretty safe character.
Was Byleth really a safe choice when he proceded by 4 third parties though?

KillerCage

Smash Master
I hope the Three Houses fans are happy with Byleth; I was personally disappointed.
On the bright side regarding them, we at least got the Weapon Triangle represented in Smash (finally.)
Also I'm buying that Cuphead Mii Costume.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom