• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie here looking for some tips.

SSBM MJ

Smash Rookie
Hi, my name is MJ and i'm completely new to Melee, i've been playing it for a few weeks and i have a very basic grasp of the game, i can l-cancel and wavedash, and that's about it, i'm not really sure what would be an effect way of practicing the game on my own since there's no real competitive or even casual scene over here, i've picked up Marth as a character and i would love some general tips for self-practice and some guidelines on basic techskill i would need to learn if i wanna get good at this game in anyway. Any tips and help would be appreciated, thanks for reading.

Michelangelo

Smash Cadet
When you practice alone it's obviously best to practice your tech. Marth is a character with great movement which can be abused very well. It's good to spent at least about 25 minutes practicing your movement which contains wavedashing (backwards anf forwards), dash dancing (long and short) and wavelanding on platforms on stages. If you're done with practicing them apart. Try to do some nice mixup movement across the stage. If you notice you're getting better you can reduce your time practicing this a bit but make sure you do practice it.

L canceling is something which will take a while to really master. Try to practice this in different situations. Shffls in place, running shffls, shffls when comming of platforms, on a shield and on opponents. Marth doesn't always need to L cancel his moves. Some of his moves autocancel (when the animation finishes before you hit the ground). Try to practice these as well.

When you're playing someone, you obviously want to know how you can win the matchup and what works on your opponent.
In other words: know your character. Practicing combo's against CPU's (lvl 1 and 3 20xx prefered) will show what combo's into eachother and to setup a combo.
Vods from players like PPMD, M2K, PPU and the moon really show how marth's play style is and how you should use them.

I'm not a marth main myself so i can't really teach you stuff about his indept tricks and combo's but i hoped i helped you out a bit.
Good luck with your smash journey ^^

SSBM MJ

Smash Rookie
When you practice alone it's obviously best to practice your tech. Marth is a character with great movement which can be abused very well. It's good to spent at least about 25 minutes practicing your movement which contains wavedashing (backwards anf forwards), dash dancing (long and short) and wavelanding on platforms on stages. If you're done with practicing them apart. Try to do some nice mixup movement across the stage. If you notice you're getting better you can reduce your time practicing this a bit but make sure you do practice it.

L canceling is something which will take a while to really master. Try to practice this in different situations. Shffls in place, running shffls, shffls when comming of platforms, on a shield and on opponents. Marth doesn't always need to L cancel his moves. Some of his moves autocancel (when the animation finishes before you hit the ground). Try to practice these as well.

When you're playing someone, you obviously want to know how you can win the matchup and what works on your opponent.
In other words: know your character. Practicing combo's against CPU's (lvl 1 and 3 20xx prefered) will show what combo's into eachother and to setup a combo.
Vods from players like PPMD, M2K, PPU and the moon really show how marth's play style is and how you should use them.

I'm not a marth main myself so i can't really teach you stuff about his indept tricks and combo's but i hoped i helped you out a bit.
Good luck with your smash journey ^^
Much appreciated mate. ^^

You main Marth. You already have tips ^.^

general tips for self-practice and some guidelines on basic techskill i would need to learn if i wanna get good at this game in anyway. Any tips and help would be appreciated, thanks for reading.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AexiFPr6x84 Can give you a quick intro to some Marth stuff that might be useful. The guide is super old, so

Practicing techniques and combos are too boring for some. This might just be my case example, but my 2 biggest boosts in skill came from actively playing Brawl and Street Fighter online. They teach the fundamental skills like spacing, reading, and mix ups which can also apply to Melee too

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I wrote this a while back to help out my crew, it should be useful to you, as it's a guide to basic smash tech skill:
http://smashboards.com/threads/basic-tech-skill-guide.342302/#post-16125240

Also, get the 20XX hack pack. This is not to be confused with the 20XX tournament edition mod, which is an entirely different thing geared for events.

20XX gives you tons of tools to greatly increase the efficiency with your training, as well as allow you to practice several things that otherwise would be incredibly hard or impossible without.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Get good at dash dancing and quick pivot analog jumps. An analog jump is basically just holding a direction when you input a jump for added mobility/momentum. Ground game is super important. DD into pivot grab, wd into immediate DD, run cancelled and pivot dtilt, dash away into pivot retreating fair, etc. Is all good. Get fluid and play humans as much as possible. If no smashers are nearby, get 20XX and practice combos against CPU's with good/random DI.

Top Bottom