• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEW YOSHI TECHNOLOGY

Where do you think Yoshi belongs on the tier list?

• S Tier

Votes: 3 4.8%

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • High

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Upper Mid

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Mid

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Lower Mid

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Bottom

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I main Yoshi in Project M and witnessed this a few days ago during a Yoshi ditto match in a tournament when i tried to grab, and we were both confused. Now i know and i knew I wasn't bugging out for a reasoin
Purposefully programmed into the game. It's incredibly useful when learned

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
OK, somewhat new tech stuff I've been trying to figure out. Help would be appreciated on this one.

Eggroll directional change off of platforms/edges.

I found that if you turn eggroll at the edge of a platform or the stage, then immediately hold the direction you were originally going in (I need more lab time to figure out exactly how to do it, this is a guess), You can go off the edge of the platform or the stage and be going the opposite direction. (uploaded picture for reference) Usage of this is solely movement right now, but I did find that if done off of of the ledge of the stage, you can grab the ledge right afterwards. So I'm going to try and figure it out and see what it can be used for.

Eggroll Ledge guarding

I had a thought, haven't tested it out yet, but say you knock an opponent off the stage and they're recovering. Let's use Marth as an example. Marth is recovering and we know Yoshi can gimp him with a D-tilt, but the Marth wants to sweet-spot the ledge. NOW, here was my thought, CAN Yoshi grab the ledge to force Marth to recover High, then after instilling that recovery, Fast-fall then DJ into an Eggroll onto the stage and immediately turnaround and exit eggroll to set yourself up for a D-tilt or a D-smash?
I think this tactic would work if your spacing is proficient enough and you're eggroll usage is good. (in theory anyways)

Let Me know what You guys think

Attachments

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
OK, somewhat new tech stuff I've been trying to figure out. Help would be appreciated on this one.

Eggroll directional change off of platforms/edges.

I found that if you turn eggroll at the edge of a platform or the stage, then immediately hold the direction you were originally going in (I need more lab time to figure out exactly how to do it, this is a guess), You can go off the edge of the platform or the stage and be going the opposite direction. (uploaded picture for reference) Usage of this is solely movement right now, but I did find that if done off of of the ledge of the stage, you can grab the ledge right afterwards. So I'm going to try and figure it out and see what it can be used for.

Eggroll Ledge guarding

I had a thought, haven't tested it out yet, but say you knock an opponent off the stage and they're recovering. Let's use Marth as an example. Marth is recovering and we know Yoshi can gimp him with a D-tilt, but the Marth wants to sweet-spot the ledge. NOW, here was my thought, CAN Yoshi grab the ledge to force Marth to recover High, then after instilling that recovery, Fast-fall then DJ into an Eggroll onto the stage and immediately turnaround and exit eggroll to set yourself up for a D-tilt or a D-smash?
I think this tactic would work if your spacing is proficient enough and you're eggroll usage is good. (in theory anyways)

Let Me know what You guys think
Tried the first thing out and the way it works is to turn around on the exact frame that you get off the platform, it happened without pressing in the original direction. Doing it off the stage either lets you land back on-stage or break against the ledge (depending on how you're holding the analog stick) but Yoshi won't grab ledge this way. But if you cancel egg roll 2-10 frames after changing direction you'll grab ledge.

The ledge guard part I'm not sure about, but I would swap out fast falling for tapping away from the ledge so it takes less time to get back on-stage and use d-smash over d-tilt because it comes out faster. If you do the turnaround before landing it'll put you teetering over the ledge. I think down-b ledge regrab into climb or ECE to rising nair are more forgiving options. Climb especially is very safe. But egg roll can trade with Marth up-b even though he grabs ledge after.

Since this is about egg-roll, I found out how to do the egg-roll without the startup hop. You have to double jump on the frame before touching the ground then egg roll, but you can't DJC it in any way.

Also fun fact: holding trigger and c-stick up will repeatedly parry then jump
I feel this should be linked again, it's an incredibly easy way to DJL and the only way to screw it up is to accidentally spotdodge after.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Wasn't there a way to DJL (instant land out of shield) with Yoshi (iirc there was one)? If yes, this makes it so much easier to farm for grabparries because the commitment is really low, maing it almost impossible to grab a Yoshi if he has perfect techskill

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Wasn't there a way to DJL (instant land out of shield) with Yoshi (iirc there was one)? If yes, this makes it so much easier to farm for grabparries because the commitment is really low, maing it almost impossible to grab a Yoshi if he has perfect techskill
There are at least 3 different ways to DJL with PM Yoshi: regular DJL, tap jump + c-stick down, and jump + tap jump. The last 2 are the easiest because both of them let you buffer the double jump. Tap jump + c-stick down buffers it on frame 2 and jump + tap jump buffers it on frame 3.

PM Yoshi can't jump during parry frames for a light press Because of the way c-stick buffering works for Yoshi, shield, so c-stick buffering a jump OOS makes him jump only after the parry frames end. This means you can do a frame perfect parry + DJL pretty easily by doing shield->c-stick up->tap jump.

Last edited:

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way with tap jump off. Like pressing Y and c-stick down, does it work?
Unfortunately no, c-stick can still buffer a jump OOS but it can't be used to buffer a double jump. Only the regular DJL will work with tap jump turned off. You can still do shield->c-stick up->Y but there's no buffering there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom