• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Wolf Advanced Technique?

The Wolfen

Smash Rookie
I think I may have found something new. Today I was trying out one of the new advanced techniques I saw on youtube, the one about wave bouncing, so I decided to try it out with my main Wolf. I tested it out a couple of times and after about fifty tried it finally worked and I thought to myself "Wow.... this is ridiculously lame”, I mean its an off chance to push yourself back a wee bit while sacrificing all C-stick instant smashes. So i bombed that idea and started playing in training to practice some of the wolf combos i had been working on, there I tried something I didn't think would work, well it did if you time it right and push back on the game cube controller after Wolf makes a shot you can already push yourself back with the shot, it was like a wave bounce auto built into Wolf and it has a wide scale of how far you can push wolf back. Yes you can do this after a dash jump and practically any time, I don't know if this has been discovered yet or is already an advanced Tech but i haven’t seen it on Youtube yet so I’m going to make myself feel cool and say it is an advanced tech, if it is nothing I apologies but I found it to be cool an extremely good in one vs. one play. I am a melee Falco player so I feel I can see a good add on when I see one but yet again I could be wrong, if it is new I think we should call it Wolfs blast back. So tell me what you think... dont be too brutal.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
I dont really understand, you're saying if you hit B and hold back then something will happen? Are you talking about when you SH, B, then either apply forward/back to move yourself before you land? That can be a way of approaching, its like a variation of falco's shl

NightJaw

Smash Rookie
well, the way im interpreting this it sounds pretty good im just a little confused in how it works, maybe a video?

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
I'd be glad to clarify what I think is going on here. First, if I understand right, you're saying you can do a retreating special without b-sticking, right? Note first and formost that I will refer to "wavebouncing" as a retreating special, and that b-sticking is a method of performing a retreating special, by setting your c-stick to special and pressing back on the c-stick while pressing forwards on the control stick, in the air.

Well, retreating specials are possible because of one old technique and falco player should be familiar with, and one new technique every spacer should become familiar with. The first is the turnaround B, bread and butter for Melee Falco's. To perform, you simply tap backwards and then neutral B in the air, and you'll turn around and do your neutral backwards, maintaining your forwards momentum.

The second is the temporarily named B-reversal. While a lot of controversy seems to surround the B-reversal right now, I can attest that I believe it to be quite clearly unique from a turnaround B, and independently useful. To perform a B-reversal, first you tap neutral B (or any special, but neutral for this example) and then you quickly press back on the control stick. It's basically performing a turnaround B backwards. This move reverses both your direction AND your momentum, and it can even be used on the ground, unlike the turnaround B.

Now, by combining the two, by executing a turnaround B and then a B-reversal, you can achieve the same result "b-sticking" offers in the way of a retreating special, without sacrificing your C-stick for smashes and aerials. Follow be through the process.

Initially, your momentum is --> and your direction is -->.
Execute turnaround B, and you reverse only direction, so now your momentum is --> and your direction is <--.
Execute B-reversal, and you reverse both momentum and direction, so momentum is <-- and your direction is -->.

As you can see, this leaves you facing your original direction, but has changed your momentum completely, resulting in a retreating special, just like B-sticking. I should note that because of dexterity limitations, some, if not most, will find the result more pronounced by B-sticking than by manually doing a retreating special for some characters, but for wolf I do not believe the difference is even notable.

I should also note that I am not exactly clear on why b-sticking results in the combination of these two techniques in such a way, but it is clear, to me at least, that it does.

Lastly, the B-reversal can be performed on the ground, as mentioned, and can even be performed out of a dash, interrupting your dash. The effect is incredibly more useful than trying to turn around from a dash normally and neutral B.

A parting breakdown of each move, in case it's still unclear:
Turnaround B - Back on control stick, then B.
B-reversal - B, then back on control stick.
Retreating Special - Back on control stick, B, then forward on control stick.

Hope this has helped clarify some things.

The Wolfen

Smash Rookie
Sorry for the bad description I didn’t have a lot of time to write it all out, I found it as a really great buff to the already unbearably hard fact that you can not approach a good Wolf. Basically it is a better form of a wave bounce without the factor that you must give up all of your C-stick instant smashes with Wolf. When you shoot your blaster in the air wolf shoots then moves in the direction of your momentum, but if you push in the opposite direction of where your momentum is (Ex: Run forward, jump, blaster) there is a point in wolfs basting animation where you can push the analog in the opposite direction and wolf will move a bit backwards with the blast. When you are running forward this moves you back the same amount as if you have done a wave bounce with the C-stick but requires little effort to actually do, where as using the C-stick to do it takes timing and knowing where the darn angle is to push yourself back with the blaster.

But here is where my favorite part of the blast back is that you can do it at any time and with a greater push back if you have no momentum in any direction, for example when you do a blast back with all the momentum of running it pretty much only puts you back a slight bit but if you have no momentum, they had better be ready when Wolf goes into a shot hop blast back he get so much more of a push backwards, I tested its lengths in training mode against toon link, my findings was when done correctly with a short how and no momentum wolf could push himself back with his blaster over the heads of three toon links side by side. I know it isn’t much but I incorporated it in a lot of my strategies with wolf, one of my favorite was when they would rush at you hopping along the way, as you move back with just about the same speed (depending on the character <.< **** you sonic) and make them follow me toward the ledge behind me, I would on average would be getting in two or 3 shots, after I was close to the edge I would shoot my self off with the blast back one more time just enough to have me fall and instantly grab the ledge, from there I would double time and get off as fast as I could the Wolf edge glitch (Tele-step) where I would instantly appear on the ledge with little or no lag and do a C-stick down smash. I don’t know I feel it is a good tactic and use of the glitches that are going to be pretty much a staple in Wolf competitive play. I also have several other tactics that screw with different characters using the blast back.

pwndj00n00b

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I found this out too, but I didn't say anything because I thought it was common knowledge =p. Anyways I use this to space myself and as an approach. I bet there are more uses, but its still early so we still have to experiment.

The Wolfen

Smash Rookie
Yeah I found this out too, but I didn't say anything because I thought it was common knowledge =p. Anyways I use this to space myself and as an approach. I bet there are more uses, but its still early so we still have to experiment.
I felt the same way bit when i incoperated it into some combos I thought hey why not if Im going to look like an idiot so be it, but might as well do it on a new account if I make a total fool of my self. :p

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
ive been using this since unlocking wolf, didn't even notice though, it feels so natural, doesnt require thought to perform, i just naturally do it i guess

Top Bottom