• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

new videos of my kirby, critique please!

HaPPyTheCoW

Smash Apprentice
watching the other kirby videos make me feel hesitant about posting my videos this time, haha. i think there are a lot of kirbys better than mine. but its been a while since i got updated videos so i am looking forward to critiques. i mess up less often now and now i win 3 out of 10 matches, big improvement for me, lol... ty all for all the help and advices :]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeld13Pp8CE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMwpvhvlSGA

they are both vs fox.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
You did pretty good against fox in your matches. However this fox either doesn't know how to play kirby well or he needs practice. While facing a fox there are certain things that you just shouldn't do. One is using the stone. No matter what you do don't use this move vs. Fox. If you do it in the air he will Uair you cause of start up lag. If you actually manage to use it he will fastfall and hit the ground before you and upsmash you. Fox is just too quick for that laggy move. Don't use the Dair vs. Fox for the same reason. It is just too slow. He will just dash back and dash forward for a free grab to uair. Or he will just Usmash you which will ALWAYS outprioritze that Dair. Also learn how to wall tech those shines and anticipate it so you can wall tech it. Oh yea I almost forgot don't aerial and then spotdodge against him. He will double shine you always.... well maybe not him but a player who knows how to play kirby would. If you do a shffld fair do it and then DI back so that you hit him with the aerial but then he can't hit you back with the shine or a shield grab. You could also get a free d tilt after the aerial since it has good range.

I liked how you wern't getting hit as much and playing a little bit more cautiously. Still Practice your speed with wave dashing and dash dancing, as kirby really needs it. Also if you don't know how to Jump cancel grab, then learn how to do it. ( I believe that i saw you do it though in one of the videos)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
You seem to like the f-smash. You might want to try the f-tilt more, though. It's quicker and less laggy. Even though you got KOs with it, even an f-tilt would have killed Fox at 150% on Yoshi's Story. To get kills at lower percents, focus more on attacks that get Fox off the stage, even if they don't KO him directly (b-air, u-air, f-tilt, d-tilt, b-throw). From there, edge guard.

Good ways of edge guarding Fox include D-smash or f-tilt at the ledge. You can even short hop when it looks like he might use a Smash-B (Fox Illusion) and then put up a n-air shield for him to run into, which actually out-prioritizes it. If he's going to do a Up-B, just jump out and hit him with a B-air or U-air, then go back and hog the ledge.

Speaking of edge hogging, it's really handy even when he has enough recovery to go up and on top of the stage. This prevents him from sweetspotting, and you can also use your invincibility frames to drop and b-air him as he comes up with a Fire Fox.

I wonder why you paused the game and said "What?" when you got U-smashed from a ledge roll. Kirby has a long ledge roll, but lacks any decent amount of invincibility frames. I rarely use ledge rolls because the first thing people want to do is smash Kirby when he does it. It's sad, and yet silly especially when he does it at 100%+ and squishes up and down. LOL. That's pretty much the only time I'll use it so I can laugh at it (and then get smashed).

HaPPyTheCoW

Smash Apprentice
the "what?" was because my mom called me and she kept talking about something in a frustrated tone and i couldnt hear her (2:15). it had nothing to do with the game. lol

i do f tilt a lot, but sometimes i play different (unintentionally). like one day i would know how to edge guard with ftilt, or edge guard accurately in general, and then another day i would throw a lot more often, and another day etc.. i dont play the same way everytime i play. i kinda wish i did so it would be easier to improve i think, haha

i think i always make the same mistake of rolling into my opponent when they still have invincibility or when i want to avoid them... i think its just me but i think if i fly up to wait out the invincibility from the respawn, the fox would have an easy chance to get me. if i roll, then it would either be toward the edge or toward the fox, if i just try to stay on the ground, then he would grab me.

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
Yay for me Making you Feel Hesitant.......

My Little Lecture That You May Know About Already!

But on topic, there are stuffs that you can improve on. Things like focusing more on a grab game. Grab games are good around beginning of a match because they rack up good damage. Down Throw and then tech chase. It seems like this Fox likes teching to the sides. Lure Fox onto a platform and down throw. Being a tech chaser he is, you can slap him with your favorite attacks like some of his smashes.... or even the Godly Hammer of Zues (That was Bad Sarcasm). Once you've down throw him tons, he might decide, what if I don't tech away? Punish him. Punish him hard! Up Tilts to an Up air or Back Air are some good choices. Fox being a fast faller can get hit by a few up tilts. In fact you can juggle a fox with Up Tilts if they can't DI. Anyways, after a down throw you can also forward smash behind you, Forward Tilt, Down Tilt, down smash, or back away (Probably a short wave dash) and use the GODLY HAMMER OF ZUES!!! Up throw is always a good choice. 10 damage fast! Then 8.... then 6..... etc. Never grab and jab and then back throw and also never back throw at a low damage. But who minds, there are things that you might already know about here.

I hope you've seen my jabbing video.

I didn't see too many hammers. They're lovable and worth it. Nairs are to be loved also.

Top Bottom