• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New videos of my kirby :). 1/15/08

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I recorded some videos :). I spent all night uploading these >_>. The 3/5 Marth vs Kirby is a serious set with counter-picks...all the other matchs are in fun and very entertaining.

Enjoy/Critique :).
l---------------------------------------------------------l
Most Recent Videos
Older Videos
l---------------------------------------------------------l

Hylian(Kirby) vs Kal(Marth) 3/5 Set
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG9UySE5_Wc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF-e_c7alZM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFoghPbKR0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZblTRviRsms

Hylian(Kirby) vs Kal(Bowser) Friendlies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lmDoMyqZ0Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8WpYTo-QK8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS6nJGaBLls

Hylian(Kirby) vs Kal(Ganondorf) Friendlies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARlp_AkVWYQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bquCYWTszzc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFL19xZgx-A

Hylian(Kirby) vs Kal(Falcon) Friendlies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm8Rn-rhARE

Hylian(Kirby) vs Kal(Zelda) Friendlies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWSSb_fJB8c

Hylian(Kirby) vs Kal(Zelda) Friendlies
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8mUKsnT-7mo

Youtube Profile
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Hylian88

§leepy God

Smash Master
Ouch, that Zelda player isn't human. You might want to do a good amount of Air attacks above Zelda so she won't do that magic foot on you. Attacking above her will make the player block due to Zelda have too much lag on her Smash Up and Up Air, so do more attacks above her to make your day easier. Do some Up Throws, becasue if you do Down Throws a lot when you fight Zelda, she will use that light foot, like Jigglypuff doing Down B after you doing a Down Throw, a horrable thought.

You make yourself sound like your new, you play pretty good, it's just that you made a few mistakes, that's all.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Ouch, that Zelda player isn't human. You might want to do a good amount of Air attacks above Zelda so she won't do that magic foot on you. Attacking above her will make the player block due to Zelda have too much lag on her Smash Up and Up Air, so do more attacks above her to make your day easier. Do some Up Throws, becasue if you do Down Throws a lot when you fight Zelda, she will use that light foot, like Jigglypuff doing Down B after you doing a Down Throw, a horrable thought.

You make yourself sound like your new, you play pretty good, it's just that you made a few mistakes, that's all.
I'm not really that new haha. And I have played with KirbyKid at some tournaments and got everything I know about kirby from him/my own experience heh. And the Zelda player is probably the best Zelda in texas..save maybe JesusFreak.

Any character matchs in particular that someone wants to watch me play against? >_>.

Also, I know about attacking above Zelda...but kirby is so slow in the air it is really hard to optimize that strategy. Zelda can just stay beside kirby in the air and kirby can never really get above her :(. Also the hitbox for the fair/bair goes suprisingly high.

Thanks though :).

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
You're right about how Kirby has a hard time trying to stay above Zelda. While Zelda's aerial mobility really isn't impressive, Kirby's is all that much worse, especially when you take into consideration the start up time on most of his aerials and the lack of reach he has relative to Zelda in the air. Oh, and when Kirby connects with an aerial it really isn't anything to worry about for the most part, but when Zelda hits, she hits hard. So trying to go head-to-head against Zelda in the air is usually poor decision.

What Kirby can do, however, is be patient. Zelda players know that F-air and B-air are very good attacks, especially against lightweight Kirby. Because of this, they will often times get overzealous in their attacks and will be on the offensive for the most part. This is actually a really good strategy because Kirby is poor at retaliation.

Don't give up hope, because there will eventually be an opening that Kirby can capitalize on. When you're able to sneak a hit in on Zelda, go for it, but don't be disappointed if you don't string it into a devastating combo or don't get a KO from it - that's just not how Kirby works. Just concentrate on avoiding her attacks and getting your hits to land. If you can f-air and follow up with a f-tilt or a u-air, so much the better, but remember to be patient and don't get hit.

Zelda is like Falcon for Kirby. She's sorta tall and likes to jump at you with an overpowered aerial that can KO you before you reach 100%. But she'll also whiff grabs (and dash attacks) if you crouch and you can avoid most of her F-smash while crouching long enough to d-tilt or d-smash her before she finishes. Your crouch will force her to either go airborne or to start using lower hitting attacks like D-smash. Most of the time she'll go for aerials, because that's what she likes to do anyway. If she stays on the ground you've already neutralized her grabs and dash attack approaches and you'll be able to d-tilt her before she can get into range for a D-smash. So, although Zelda isn't really a grabby type of character, you force your opponent into a more predictable position.

Fortunately Zelda is no where near as fast as Falcon. This is a big "advantage" for Kirby as it allows him to keep pace with her much more easily. Unfortunately she still has priority and power over Kirby, and she's not as easy to combo or ledge-gimp as Falcon is. Still, work with your strengths and try to mitigate your weaknesses.

While D-throw is a fairly safe bet to use on Zelda, it seemed to be the only throw you used. At higher percents you'll want to forgo the D-throw since she can start aiming Kicks at you immediately afterward, and while you can usually shield them safely before they land it still forces you on the defensive. It's a better idea to use a B-throw and send her off the stage, or at least put her in a less offensive position.

Kal obviously has some Kirby fighting practice; when you first used a D-throw on Zelda, she tech rolls to the right. You predicted correctly and followed her immediately after the D-throw, but Kirby is just too slow to effectively tech chase. By the time you caught up to her tech roll, she had plenty of time to sidestep your Grab. This is where the Kirby player must be a better player in the sense that you must out-think your opponent twice as much as the usual character's player has to: first with the tech-prediction and second with the follow-up. In this case, had you expected the sidestep you could have countered the dodge with a D-smash (long duration) or a Ground Hammer (start-up lag).

When recovering, don't float back where Zelda can jump up and kick you. Either come in high, or go low and come up to the ledge. Zelda is terrible at Edge Guarding, and even worse at Air Guarding - at least relative to those nasty Top Tiers. So as long as you can avoid getting KO'd by her F-air/B-air, you shouldn't have too much trouble staying alive and coming back to the ledge.

In order to get a solid KO on Zelda, you're going to have to land a B-air or U-air. U-air is the stronger of the two hits, but it also requires much more precision while B-air comes out quickly with a good duration and is much more likely to hit. It sucks that if you manage to get a u-tilt on Zelda when she's within KO range of the U-air, she's sent too high up to reach before hitstun runs out. This sort of forces Kirby to try to land a B-air or U-air directly, which is not especially fun considering you have to do it while avoiding her F-air and B-air. So, as said earlier, B-air is probably your best bet, but you can always look for a D-smash opportunity since if you sweetspot it at Kirby's feet, it should be strong enough to get a vertical KO on zelda around 125%

PrinceOfDalaam

Smash Apprentice
I'd suggest more backthrows when shes at higher percents, and don't forget about kirbycides! Otherwise i'd say u did well against one of the best zeldas in your state :)

LOL, you have a harder time against zelda than marth??? hehe, i didnt know that was even possible for kirby....or any char for that matter

Speaking of which, i'd like to see ur kirby against a marth. I dont see too many vids of those.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Well t!Mmy said absolutely EVERYTHING that needed to be said about that match up so I don't really have that much help, so lets just look at your Kirby and see everything you did right and wrong outside of the actual match up.

Things you did right: LOTS of Bair spam, always good.
Tech chasing, you did it, and you followed up.(You might not have gotten the grab, but the fact that you were able to follow up is good, and Im sure you'll learn from the mistake, your good like that)
You quickly learned that simply fast falling from above the ledge to it wont work. You used stone and Final Cutter to get down and you used them well.
Bair out of shield and Utilt to aerial. :)
Taunting, you did the PERFECT amount.

Things you did wrong: I didn't see alot of short hops. No short hops set you up pretty well for the Foot.
You got hit by the Foot
You missed an edgehog/gaurd when Zelda had to Up B from way below the ledge. You could have grabbed the ledge and hit her hard(lol, like kirby hits hard >_<) with a Uair or Bair.
You got hit by the Foot >_>

Sorry I can't be much help here, I have very little Zelda experience, and none of it is against a GOOD Zelda.

EDIT: I want to see your Kirby Vs. KKK's Kirby next XD

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Thanks guys..especially timmy haha. I agree with everything you said.

I will get vids of me up vs a marth soon :).

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Fight a Falco. o__o;;

I love it how Timmy tells people everything and doesn't give room for other people to say things otherwise. This just gives us an opportunity to come up with something unique. Something Timmy couldn't think of....

Btw, Timmy. Was that typed on a Wii?

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Btw, Timmy. Was that typed on a Wii?
Looking at that huge post, I do not think that was typed on a Wii. If it was, then...O_o.

I like your Kirby taunting, Hylian. I would like to see more videos of your Kirby against any other character.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
That was pretty good Hylian, I liked your Slides and Fence of Pain

*Finishes reading* Exactly T!mmy hit it right on the nose

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Ha ha, no that wasn't typed on a Wii. My computer is working again, remember. ;)

By the way, when I went to DAN2 last weekend, I got a chance to play against perhaps the best Zelda main in the entire world: Dark Musician! Not only was he amazing, his style of play completely shuts down almost anything Kirby can do: staying back and striking with F-air/B-air using precision spacing and timing.

If I hadn't had previous Zelda experience (DMStudios likes to play Zelda and t0mmy likes to play Zelda/Shiek), I would have been completely destroyed and sent home crying. As it is, everything I said above is pretty much true, but to get a better idea of how the matchup goes with a good Zelda for an opponent, put a HUGE amount of emphasis on the part where I say she completely out-ranges and out-powers Kirby. And then put more emphasis on it.

I wanted to get some matches with Dark Musician but he had to go record finals for the tournament, and after that I had to leave to get back to Oregon. Those vids would have been really, really good for you guys to see, sorry. V_V

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
By the way, when I went to DAN2 last weekend, I got a chance to play against perhaps the best Zelda main in the entire world: Dark Musician!
I bet that pissed you off.

I bet you were mad.

I mean come on, you were working SO HARD, and in the end, you got shut down by a character so linear, they took her b.air, flipped it around; made it her f.air, AND MADE IT SUCK JUST EVER SO SLIGHTLY.

im completely kidding though; cause Zelda is retardedly fun to play (but not as fun as kirby).

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Ha ha ha. Completely the opposite. I loved playing against Dark Musician.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Really T!mmy? I wouldn't because I'd get completely pulverised.

*Comes in for attack* *Zelda makes 73 attack combo withought me getting a hit in* "Yaaaaaagh! Dx" ~Kirby as he gets pelted across the KO boundaries

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I got a 3/5 up with a marth player :). It is gooood. I will try and get them online tonight.

They are up! First post. Lots of videos for you guys to enjoy/critique :) :) :).

PrinceOfDalaam

Smash Apprentice
Well I'm watching what i asked for(marth set) and so far its too GOOD. I liked ur d-tilt edgegaurd, although dsmash wouldve been good to finish him off. Also nice try at all those kirbycides :) Well I'm off to watching the rest

Edit: I watched the rest of the marth set, and i really enjoyed it. Corneria match was awsume, and too many shenanigans on GG. You were very dodgy, just like how a kirby player should be. Keep up the great work!

Btw, kirby + corneria engine = win :chuckle:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Well I'm watching what i asked for(marth set) and so far its too GOOD. I liked ur d-tilt edgegaurd, although dsmash wouldve been good to finish him off. Also nice try at all those kirbycides :) Well I'm off to watching the rest
Hope you enjoy :).

And for some reason the third match doesn't seem to work for me. He takes me to Green Greens and 1 stocks me there >_>. Wasn't that great of a match anyways lol. Kinda funny though.

And yeah I remembered someone asking me to play against marth so I did a serious set vs marth.

Edit: I find dtilt harder to tech then Dsmash >_>. Thats pretty much the only reason I use it rather then dsmash to edgeguard lol.

Edit again:

No problem :). I actually don't mind playing marths that much for some reason haha. And yeah I love how he spiked me between the lasers and I lived XD.

PrinceOfDalaam

Smash Apprentice
Well i was able to watch the 3rd match (see edit on previous post), and id say you didnt do too bad. And i guess your right about dtilt now that i think about it. But yeah thnx for the marth set, cuz its taught me a thing or two about fighting marth.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
:)..............

No one else posted :(.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I've been periodically watching your new vids, but I figured you dont really want my help.
Any comment is nice haha.

And I want timmy in here again! XD

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Sorry, I couldn't edit my post cus Smashboards was being ghey. But yeah, I watched your set against Marth. Umm, theres not alot I really have to say about your Kirby, cus yours is probably better than mine >_> I will say you got lucky that Kal didn't use as many throw combo's as he could have. He barely used his grab at all in your first match where it would have given him a huge advantage(Fthrow->Fsmash will kill on YS at around 45% >_>)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Aw, but I'm not really a video-watching type of person. And Pink Reaper really likes commenting, don't you think?
:(...................

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Doesn't mean I won't watch them. Just saying I'd rather be playing Smash than watching it. ;)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Where is it, Buh?

I checked the Kirby Video Archives, the main threads, and here, but didn't see your name anywhere.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Timmy, could you watch my set with Marth and tell me what you think?

This goes for other kirbys as well :).
Hahaha Whoops.

That was me on a friends account.

Lmao.

But yeah >_>.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Match 1
I liked the speedy edge hogs you did in the beginning. Kirby really needs a strong ledge game, so that's important. When edge-guarding, a d-tilt is useful because of its long reach, but it's harder to KO with because of its poor knockback. Marth is sort of an exception if you can keep knocking him back - don't bother with D-tilt if he's coming from right under you because his Up Special will hit you before your d-tilt will usually. If you D-tilt and send him back, consider switching to a move with more knockback like D-smash or going for an edge hog if you think you can get there in time (usually not lol).

Match 2
Wall-camp much? ha ha.
Aw, failed edge hog at the 1:35 mark, probably due to the slant in the stage. I see that you were probably going to go for the ledge and try for a b-air using ledge invincibility, which works really well against Marth, so good choice in strategy there even if the technical part didn't go through as planned. Nice recovery at 2:06... I was like "Watch out for the guns!" lol. Ah good ol' edge-hog -> b-air at 4:00.

Sorry, I'm only going to watch the first two. I'm sure you want me to get back to work on my Kirby videos and a best of five match + comments takes up a lot of my spare time.

Top Bottom