• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Unlockable Characters Unveiled On Smash Bros. Official Website

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I don't disagree with anything that Sakurai said, actually. That's the stance I've always taken since Smash 4 was announced.

Obviously, not all the "clone haters" are actually children, but several of the adult people like this are going to be immature. By the strictest definition, Sakurai was exaggerating. However, considering he speaks Japanese and does not primarily communicate with English or western norms, I think it's prudent to look at the intent of his words moreso than the translated words on that page. I believe his intent, as I've said, was to allude to the immaturity of the impassioned anti-clone ranting. But, as he said, "it can't be helped," nande mo nai: people will always be very emotional about things they are passionate about.

NNID
aiw1198
“People keep complaining that they want the game to be more like Melee,” continued Sakurai, “Some people made a modification of Brawl and now think that they’re better than me. I dare them to say that to my face. I’ll have a real brawl with them and show them that their little mod means nothing in the grand scheme of things. All they can do is make one of my games more like one of my other games. And when my new game comes out, everyone will stop playing their little project and play with a real game.

Don’t even get me started on the fans,” warned Sakurai, “Smash Bros. fans are the most insane, overzealous people you will ever meet in your life. I don’t care for them, yet I will still make the best game possible because if I don’t, I will have let myself down. I don’t make this game for anyone but myself. I’ll admit that the person who can tolerate listening to these people is stronger than me. But if there is a person like that in this world, they should work on something more important than a video game.”

http://www.p4rgaming.com/masahiro-s...-killing-myself-would-be-the-cowards-way-out/

"Example: a game is built with such depth that it brings to a player's mind memories of defeat. As a game designer, I can't ignore this possibility. If, in a multiplayer fighting game, only the winner feels good and the other challengers get no such feeling, then there is really no joy at all. No matter how people play, I want everyone to be happy! Is this asking for too much?"

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=443

Sakurai wants everyone to win.
That first one is definitely not a real quote. I'm pretty sure of it.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
All the information we've seen lends toward the truth being that they had some extra time to work with, but not enough to make a full character. So they decided to take three alternate costumes and make clones out of them, essentially as a bonus.

They didn't "replace" anyone, and they took so (comparatively) little time that they didn't stop anything else from being implemented. Do you honestly think that if they had the time to implement something major, they would've gone "nah, let's make some clones instead"?

The people Sakurai called "children" are the ones who refuse to understand that.

Anyway...

Does anyone else find it interesting that they've revealed almost half the "secret" characters within a week of the game being out worldwide? They couldn't be getting them out the door for a few to debut on the Wii U version...could they?

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I don't disagree with anything that Sakurai said, actually. That's the stance I've always taken since Smash 4 was announced.

Obviously, not all the "clone haters" are actually children, but several of the adult people like this are going to be immature. By the strictest definition, Sakurai was exaggerating. However, considering he speaks Japanese and does not primarily communicate with English or western norms, I think it's prudent to look at the intent of his words moreso than the translated words on that page. I believe his intent, as I've said, was to allude to the immaturity of the impassioned anti-clone ranting. But, as he said, "it can't be helped," nande mo nai: people will always be very emotional about things they are passionate about.
Yeah, thing is that some gotta keep in mind is that Smash isn't the only fighting game franchise that does clones, look at Street Fighter, there's like 10 or so other characters that are clones of Ryu, Guile has a clone, even Cammy recently got a clone, Tekken has the Mishima family, both versions of Bob, Eddie and Christie, ect. Clones aren't new in the fighting game world so either get used to them or stay unhappy ya know?

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata has commented about these articles comparing Sakurai to Jesus Christ saying that he suffers for Nintendo’s sins. Afterwards, Iwata laughed and then joked that only through his death can the Wii U be saved.
~http://www.p4rgaming.com/

You don't say satire site!

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

hdubard14

Smash Rookie
NNID
hdubard
I must admit I'm somewhat of a hater... HOWEVER... they do look rather beautiful. I'd be less upset about their inclusion if I didn't lose Lucas, Snake & Wolf.

:-/ I don't know when I'll get over it. (NEVER!)

That said, I'm still extremely happy about the massive and unique roster we've got.
yea... just wondering... what are your specific thoughts on dlc? would you like dlc of those brawl veterans? I personally think it would be nice... if they keep the ant of dlc to a minimum, or that they're free

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Yeah, thing is that some gotta keep in mind is that Smash isn't the only fighting game franchise that does clones, look at Street Fighter, there's like 10 or so other characters that are clones of Ryu, Guile has a clone, even Cammy recently got a clone, Tekken has the Mishima family, both versions of Bob, Eddie and Christie, ect. Clones aren't new in the fighting game world so either get used to them or stay unhappy ya know?
All those examples you mentioned, with the exception of Bobs and the Capos aren't clones. They merely share some of the same specials, but even then they work completely different.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
So Sakurai updates the site yesterday with clones and then proceeds to call clone haters, "children", the following day. I think that comment is very out of line and Sakurai should just learn how to make alternate costumes, but that's for another time.
He's just angry because almost no one likes his stupid roster decisions.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
yea... just wondering... what are your specific thoughts on dlc? would you like dlc of those brawl veterans? I personally think it would be nice... if they keep the ant of dlc to a minimum, or that they're free
Nintendo, actually I believe Sakurai himself, has said that he doesn't believe in selling people an "incomplete" game. Smash Bros 3DS & Wii U has what...? 14 more characters than Brawl did, including Miis and clones. The game is totally complete... BUT, I think with games like this that only come out once in a blue moon and also have a huge fan base who continue to play the game LONG after the release, it's a smart move for Nintendo to offer OPTIONAL dlc. Those who are satisfied with the game as it is can choose to opt out of buying it, but those of us who just can't get enough can buy it and continue to bask in the glory of new Smash Bros characters and stages!

Also, when the Wii U version of Sm4sh comes out, we will all have long known the whole roster... having additional characters to offer up seems to me like a GREAT way to get the Hype Train going full steam ahead!

(Plus I've been waiting SO long to hear Snake say "Kept you waitin', huh?")

Ragna22

Smash Ace
All those examples you mentioned, with the exception of Bobs and the Capos aren't clones. They merely share some of the same specials, but even then they work completely different.
I use the term clones so the other people here could understand what I'm getting it cause yeah you're right, Ryu can't shoot mid-air hadoukens but Akuma can, Dan has a pitiful hadouken and Sakura charges her's up or in some cases uses it as an anti-air but things like these are apparent with characters like Ganon/Falcon, Fox/Falco, ect in the Smash games, these are still considered clones by most of the Smash community so I'm just speaking their language so they understand ya know? To most of the Smash community, Bob/Slim Bob wouldn't be much different from say Cammy/Decapre.

Buttcheeks mcgee

Smash Apprentice
He's just angry because almost no one likes his stupid roster decisions.
OBJECTION!!!!
Some are not stupid as others may be really dumb(Phoenix Wright music plays) so you have a good roster and blaming Sakurai for making decisions that you think are stupid even though they come out really good. you sir hate sakurai's roster decisions then you hate Smash roster decisions (i rest my case)

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
So Sakurai updates the site yesterday with clones and then proceeds to call clone haters, "children", the following day. I think that comment is very out of line and Sakurai should just learn how to make alternate costumes, but that's for another time.
Wait, he did what??

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Dr. Mario I'm ok with because he's still basically Mario, plus I like the fact that he still has his tornado punch which I think is more easier to use and damaging compared to the new fludd one that regular Mario uses, it was almost useless enough when they gave him his cape as his side b move.Dark Pit however, well, he can continue to be one of my punching bags.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
All of the clones in Melee except Ganon, Falco and Doc suck in competitive play. If you are going by character perspective I would say Doc is a waste of time.
I think doc is the 2nd most earning( first being gannodorf) but they have the customs to help boost them, plus the doc is played relatively often and gannodorf can be to depending on who is playing in a tournament/match

beestmode

Smash Cadet
I hope they keep giving us new characters to play that are free to get...but if they start doing DLC packages for new characters I would totally get those too! :p

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
"Example: a game is built with such depth that it brings to a player's mind memories of defeat. As a game designer, I can't ignore this possibility. If, in a multiplayer fighting game, only the winner feels good and the other challengers get no such feeling, then there is really no joy at all. No matter how people play, I want everyone to be happy! Is this asking for too much?"

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=443

Sakurai wants everyone to win.
I still say that's a bad idea. I'm impossible for everyone to win! Competition is there to showcase who is worthy to succeed!

There has to be sacrfices in order for things to move on. It's called "Survival of the Fittest" for a reason.

Also, what's the point of accomplishment and trying your hardest if everyone else just end up succeeding on the same level as you do with little effort?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Some of those articles that DarkStarStorm linked are just joke articles so don't take them seriously but I recommend you to give them a read, they're hilarious.

http://www.p4rgaming.com/masahiro-s...-killing-myself-would-be-the-cowards-way-out/

Sakurai: "Those people live in America where they think they’re being recorded by the government. Big deal, I know I’m being recorded by five separate cameras from 10 A.M. to 6 P.M. I’m also fairly confident my house is bugged, but I don’t care because I have nothing to hide.”

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I can't believe the good doctor & Wii Fit Trainer are letting that cake sit by Kirby. NAAANI?!?!

I'm also laughing secretly to the Dark Pit & Kirby image. The Dance my Puppet caption works perfectly.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If the secret characters are being shown in order of their unlocks through vs. matches, that means Ganondorf will be on the next update. Good. I've been waiting for HD Ganondorf for a while. The Great King ought to look really evil, if given the same expressiveness as the other characters.

And that Dr. Mario picture with Wii Fit Trainer, Kirby and Dedede. lol

Dark Pit looking awesome in HD as well. That Pit vs. Dark Pit picture looks epic. I like it better when they team up, but they're rivals, so it can't be helped. :p

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Sakurai: "I want to avoid cloning characters this time."
Dark Pit and Pit
Dr. Mario and Mario
Toon Link and Link
Ganondorf and Captain Falcon
Then again, that's only 5 (You forgot Lucina and Marth) out of 51.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
All the information we've seen lends toward the truth being that they had some extra time to work with, but not enough to make a full character. So they decided to take three alternate costumes and make clones out of them, essentially as a bonus.

They didn't "replace" anyone, and they took so (comparatively) little time that they didn't stop anything else from being implemented. Do you honestly think that if they had the time to implement something major, they would've gone "nah, let's make some clones instead"?

The people Sakurai called "children" are the ones who refuse to understand that.

Anyway...

Does anyone else find it interesting that they've revealed almost half the "secret" characters within a week of the game being out worldwide? They couldn't be getting them out the door for a few to debut on the Wii U version...could they?
You, sir (or perhaps madame? :4robinf:), are a genius. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Top Bottom