• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to shoddy and PO, help needed please.

Daddy Ash

Smash Apprentice
Right so I've finally got round to downloading Shoddy and Pokemon Online as I wish to try some competitive battling away from wi-fi on the DS.
Problem is I have no clue what sort of team to try, what EVs and Ivs to set up on each poke and generally just over-whelmed at the choice in team building.
I know this maybe a long shot, but any help from the more experienced battlers in the PC would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

------------------------

EDIT: I am not out to steal team ideas from other members, just would like examples of decent team line ups and best IVs/EVs for different situations. I am also willing to battle anyone that is willing once I have a team set-up, I am not bothered about my Win/Loss record just gaining some viable online battling Exp. When I can get online around work and looking after my young daughter that is. Also is Shoddy or PO better for competitive play?

Tamoo

Smash Master
Hey Daddy Ash,

I think this link is an amazing guide for someone starting out competitively on shoddy.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=280310
It covers basically everything, lists competitively viable moves and even gives a couple of movesets you can try yourself.

Another good resource is smogon
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/
you can look for a pokemon of your choice and it will give you a couple of the most successful movesets for that pokemon

It's quite important to get the right balance within a team so riddle's amazing guide can help you there.

If you do ever want someone to play just hit me up with a personal message with a date and time and i'll try to be there.

Also dyou play smash at all? Cos we got a pretty good melee scene going on in England, and an average brawl scene and we're always looking for more players

ss118

Smash Master
Play melee.

Anyway, both of the sources he listed would get you off to a good start. But to be frank, just play. That's the only way you learn.

Also I'm articanus on AIM, so if you want hit me up there.

Daddy Ash

Smash Apprentice
thanks for all the help guys, I have brawl but not melee, not online with wii at this moment though as I am on a limited broadband package of 2G per month.
I have checked riddle's guide on the main PC forum (it was very helpful, I finally found out what STAB meant lol) and will check smogon later, I may just try make a team of pokes I like from my experience playing the handheld games and give online a few goes and re-work a team from there.
I don't use AIM, just MSN and sometimes Yahoo but thanks SS and thanks for the offer tamoo.

Daddy Ash

Smash Apprentice
thanks, and I now have a rough first team, does SWF have a specific server? or can i register to any server?

Tamoo

Smash Master
i think everyone just goes on smogon's server tbh, although it seems to be down atm
there probs is one though

And ss118 and wave said, i think we'll all just get along better if you go and get melee :)

Also looking at ur location, west midlands is fairly active, kone, one of the main uk tournament organisers lives in birmingham and there are various brawlers and melee players scattered around that area if ur ever interested in getting into brawl or preferably melee :)

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Brawl is cool too, it's alright mang :)

also I'd recommend starting with PO first, as the competition on Shoddy might leave you overwhelmed at first, and you can feel more free to try new things on PO. Ideally you'd look at some movesets on Smogon first just to give yourself an idea of what things do. Since you're familiar with wifi battling already I assume you know the basics at least but just have fun with it and learn at your own pace.

I remember a looooooooooong time ago we had a tutoring topic on here, and smogon has the Battling 101 program. idk how many people are waiting to sign up for it/whether they're even still doing it, but it shouldn't be difficult to pick things up as you go. hope you have fun :)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
thanks, and I now have a rough first team, does SWF have a specific server? or can i register to any server?
The "Machamp's Pants" server on PO is the pokecenter server. It's often pretty barren though.

Daddy Ash

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for all the help guys I really do appreciate it. I wish I could get melee it looks a great game, but I don't have the funds now for a GC what with rent and bills to pay. I've looked into smogon and re-fitted my team wth the suggested move-sets and Evs, if I have too much trouble on smogon i'll definately give PO a run. And for some reason I thought Machamp's Pants was the shoddy server.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
If you've got brawl already...the Wii is backwards-compatible, you know, meaning that it will run any GC game you have already. You can probably pick up a used copy of melee+memory card+gc controller for $50-60 total (20 for the game, 10 for the memory card, and 25-30 for a gamecube controller), idk about PAL pricing or whether they still sell gc controllers in that region, but it should cost roughly 40-50 pounds total? I know euro/england electronics are pretty expensive...

it's loads of fun, good luck with your pokemon stuff and with melee too if you get it :)

Daddy Ash

Smash Apprentice
I forgot my wii was backwards compatible :/ and I'll look into a copy of melee and a GC controller when I can afford it.
Finally got my team ready for Shoddy, wish me luck in the Smogon server.
--------------------------------------

EDIT: Well I tried and my team got torn apart by a aerodactyl, dragonite and swampert, never even got to see my opponents other 3 pokemon (oh well I tried lol)

Roserade (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
---
Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 32 HP/164 Atk/92 Spd/64 SAtk