• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Melee, what character should I pick?

Darkblade1

Smash Rookie
Pretty self explanatory from the title, but I'm extremely new to Melee and don't know what character would be good for a beginner. So any suggestions would be appreciated

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If you want to learn the game and improve quickly, choose Falco or Sheik. These two have the easiest punish flowcharts to learn, and their neutral games are straightforward as well. You will almost always have a clear answer to "what am I doing wrong?" and not get easily stuck at plateaus. Of course it will still take effort, though.

Also, don't listen to things you hear in places like twitch chat or melee hell. The common answers are all jokes, though they've been repeated so often that newer members think its real. Go to the character boards on this site, or search facebook for your character's R&D group.

And if you're really serious about improving, get yourself a copy of 20XX Hack Pack and spend time in debug mode (frame advance). There are a lot of guides out there about solo improvement using these tools.

paper2537

Smash Rookie
I think Sheik is definitely a good starter. Fast moves, good duration, and overall doesn't require as much tech skill as the other characters. I would personally recommend falco after Sheik since falco is very unique compared to the other characters.

Top Bottom