• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

new to melee learning the basics!!

Dark Pie 1001

Smash Rookie
Hello im Dark Pie 1001.. call me dark or pie im learning how to wave dash and dash dance! im new to playing melee like this :awesome: its hard to do all of this stuff getting used to it feels odd. if you have any tips or comments pm me or leave a comment below! :)

SAUS

Smash Ace
Wait... You are new to the game AND you want to be different by playing "bad" characters?

That's a recipe for frustration and failure. I recommend starting with a better character - at least for learning purposes. Doctor Mario isn't actually that low tier, so you could main him for starters. You'd at least stand a chance. Game and watch is just horrible. He puts up his arms when he shields so very shortly after starting to shield, you can shield poke his hands (by this I mean people can hit you while you're shielding by going for your hands). That combined with his extremely low weight makes him die all that time. Bowser gets shield poked similarly and he can get combod by pretty much everyone in the game due to his large size.

As much as being different is cool, you should learn how to play before being different. Even as a link main, I picked up 3 high tier characters (falco, marth, captain falcon) and just playing as them and learning them has taught me how to play link better.

So my first recommendation is to play a high tier character - just to learn the game - or at least play doctor mario as your main at first, since he is at least not that low tier.

Learning all the stuff does feel odd at first, but as you learn it, and learn how to do it through muscle memory, it becomes a lot more natural. Eventually, you see a moment where you should perform this move called a wavedash, and your hands will just do it. Keep practising and keep playing against people and you will learn fairly quickly.

R:U:N

Smash Cadet
^This.

I started out maining Ness because I also kind of wanted to be a low tier hero, but also he's a lot of fun... Until you just feel like you can't do what you want to do because of your character's limitations.

Now I know how the old saying goes, "A poor worker blames his tools," but when they're made of cardboard, maybe it's time to get some new tools.

That being said, it is cool to play the character that not a lot of people play, but don't overlook the kind of individuality that can come out of playstyle. Watching two different players playing fox is almost like watching two different characters altogether.

I'm not saying you shouldn't play who you want to play, I still keep Ness on the side for fun, but I've started to put more of my effort into characters that are going to output more visible improvement (Coincidentally, Falcon, Falco, and, albeit I don't play him as often, Marth), and I'm hoping that I'll see myself learning how to use the tools available to me to their greatest potential, and really knowing the game I'm playing instead of bringing a whole new dimension of a poor character and having to tailor my play to attempt to make up for his weaknesses.

Of course, there are exceptions out there, plenty of players have managed to make a name for themselves using a low tier character (Look up a G&W player named Qerb), but that's just the thing- They are exceptions. Not to mention there are players out there that are exceptionally good with low tiers, but primarily compete using high tiers (DJ Nintendo, for example, who occasionally uses Bowser). Now that's not to say that nobody else can be an exception, but it's a rough, rough, frustrating, and above all else, LONG road that might be more frustrating than fun to go down, and fun is a valuable resource.

In the end, play whoever you want to play, but know that it's a tough scene, and there's a reason we don't see a whole lot of low-tier mains competing at a high level.

BUT, tiers aside, my best advice to you as a new player (coming from a relatively new player playing competitively for about 1-2 years), have fun, know that this is a tough, but very friendly scene, the game is not very welcoming, but luckily the community is, exceptionally so. Make friends, get involved, and the learning and improvement will come as a byproduct.

Top Bottom