• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to competitive play.

cartoonwolf

Smash Rookie
I'm new into the competitive smashing community, and I wanted to get some pointers from the pros.

Also, can somebody please play me over wifi and see what I need to improve on. I'd upload a video, but my camera's busted.

My FC is 3007-8393-8250. Thanks in advance.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Ahh, welcome to the community. First of all do not let other people on this forum decide your character for you. You will see alot of character hate and bias here. As for serious play there is always room for improvement no matter how good you are. Try training with one of the guys who has been playing Fox for a while, my WiFi is being hogged right now..*sigh*

soul ark

Smash Ace
im praying that kheldar is joking.......

anyway welcome to the fox boards you've made a great choice by choosing fox as your main many benefits include complementary air game prowess, and snake fighting techniques. we also have nice and hot down air and a wonderful recovery package.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
welcome to the boards. Every one here can get just a little crazy so just roll with it.
If you want to get a good understanding of a professional fox try watching some combo/highlight videos.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Yeah welcome to the boards and welcome to competitive Smash in general. If you're set on having Fox as your main character, I would suggest looking at the Fox guides on the board and watching some videos of high level players. You'll learn a lot that way. Otherwise just practice and get experience playing against good players.

Being a competitive Melee player for years now, I do have the experience and I "know what it takes" to become a competitive Smasher in general, so the transition from Melee to Brawl wasn't that bad. But if you haven't played Melee competitively either, don't worry about that. Brawl is a new game, with new things to learn, and if you're starting now, you won't find yourself too far behind the rest of the competition.

Don't let anything get you down. I remember when I was trying to learn some of the techs in Melee (Wavedashing, waveshining, etc etc), it took a while and even once I "learned" them, I didn't really see a huge improvement in my game, which discouraged me a bit. I just kept practicing until I was able to utilize everything effectively, and kept playing other people and entered tourneys to gain experience. It took a lot of work, but if I had stopped right when I first became discouraged, I would have never been even half as good at Melee as I am now. So- just keep plugging away, and don't let failures get you down.

And just remember to have fun with whatever it is you decide to do. That's the most important.

cartoonwolf

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the encouraging words! I'm still looking to play against some pros. We realy don't have any tournaments around, and I don't wanna travel across the country for a tournament. The closest place is NYC, and thats 2 hours away. I'll try to do some research on upcoming tournaments.

TheNovaKing

Smash Rookie
Hey bud, I'm a decent Fox, not pro or anything, but I'd be willing to go a few rounds with you online, PM me if you're interested.

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the encouraging words! I'm still looking to play against some pros. We realy don't have any tournaments around, and I don't wanna travel across the country for a tournament. The closest place is NYC, and thats 2 hours away. I'll try to do some research on upcoming tournaments.
Ahhh fellow a New Yorker, if you manage to stick around the Fox boards long enough i'll get you a T-Shirt that says you survived the Barrens Ch... i mean Fox forums. Lol Careful some people have some tempers on here, but I hope we can aide ya.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Well I guess I would suggest finding locals to play. Maybe some people at your school or something. When you feel ready, look for tourneys.

You don't need to start playing pros the instant you want to become a competitive player XD

Even though you might learn faster that way =P

Top Bottom