• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to "Competitive" Melee, looking for tips

Raphy963

Smash Cadet
NNID
raphy963
Hello everyone,

An internet friend recently brought me into "Competitive Melee" using Netplay. I've never played Melee that way before, last time I played was like when I was 10 years old with an old friend, nothing about those competitive rules :p

So I've been looking all over the internet for tips to start, stuffs to know and I wanted to ask the community where to start. Since 3 days, i've been playing with that friend almost every night looking for my main and I think Falco is the one I want to main.

So, I wanted to say hello and get tips and advices on where to start.

Thank you and have a nice day!

P.S I'm French Canadian so sorry for my bad english

AirFair

Marth tho
If you want tips you should play Marth

Well, it seems like you found a character that you like. First learn the basic tech using this. Once you can do them start trying to apply them in matches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vckV2MJgBzo

After you can do all of that you can look at character specific tech for Falco like Waveshining. Don't be too frustrated if you aren't making much progress. It takes time for everyone. Make sure you become active in the Character boards. There are some great players on the Falco boards like PPMD himself, who will give you good advice.

Raphy963

Smash Cadet
NNID
raphy963
Woah that was a quick reply.

I'll look at that video, quite a shame I didn't saw it. I'll also take a look at the character board and see what peoples found and what they have to say :p

My friend also recommended to watch local matches about the character I want, watching the greatest falco player isn't really the best thing ever most likely because they're professionals and they're probably playing since the game first came out. Watching local players have more good sides for a beginner, it's kinda a good milestone to reach instead of just saying : "I will become the greatest falco player ever"

AirFair

Marth tho
Thats a good idea. Get to know the competition you are up against. Your welcome for the reply, I actually find myself doing this for new players alot, so it's not big deal. Good luck with all of your training! This game is great and it's worth trying.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, some advice I have is to train against real people as often as you can. CPUs have consistant DI, techs, rolls, etc. because they are programmed to react to any given situation the same way every time, meaning that it is really easy to develop bad habits against CPUs (such as Fair approaching with Falco every time) that you wouldn't develop against a human opponent who can adapt. Also, because of their DI, some ensured combos that work on CPUs every time would only work on humans if they DI exactly like the CPUs. Then they know to DI differently next time, so it will not work on them the second time if it worked the first if they know how to adapt. Also, if you need to train against CPUs (still a good thing to do while no humans are around), Level 7 is best CPU to go against.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Why not level 9? I know they have some funky DI, and they have predictable combos, but they still seem harder.
Because although they are harder, they powershield nearly everything and have a lot of frame-perfect stuff which would be unrealistic against a human opponent.

EDIT: Also, if memory serves, a level 9 will almost always use an attack on the first possible frame after it starts tumble if it is in a combo to break out of. This causes you to frequently subliminally expect someone to attack first possible frame out of a combo, meaning that if someone waited and didn't attack, they could catch you off guard and counterplay.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
Level 9 will cause you to develop some really bad habits.

You are actually making yourself worse every time you play against one.

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
when playing computers dont focus on winning, focus on doing guaranteed combos, spacing, etc, i highly recommend PPMD's guide on practicing alone http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-discussion-thread.256826/page-439#post-14739329

"B. A variation on shadowboxing that I have decided was worth mentioning is to single player glitch(ask if you don't know how to do this) so that you can pick a stage and it is just your character on the stage. That way, you are not tempted to combo after practicing in neutral position and getting the hit. Also, you learn how to maneuver around stages as well as you like and can practice any and all techniques as though a person were there. It feels more free-form for those people wanting to imagine an invisible opponent responding to their attacks or defenses.

The better you can attempt to imagine how an opponent will respond to your move(ment)s, the better this exercise will be. Your understanding of how an opponent will respond can come from videos and your own experience, so this exercise is limited only by the motivation of the person practicing it(for the most part, it would obviously be better to play a human but this is the next-best thing). " -PPMD

Last edited:

Mk28

Smash Rookie
Oh I'm also a new melee player and I really wanna pick up Falco as well interesting enough. But what did you guys do to get better to train? I like to play against lvl 7 computers but I just keep getting defeated, due to my inability to tech and what not. So what do you guys suggest to get better?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Oh I'm also a new melee player and I really wanna pick up Falco as well interesting enough. But what did you guys do to get better to train? I like to play against lvl 7 computers but I just keep getting defeated, due to my inability to tech and what not. So what do you guys suggest to get better?
I'd say use the Name Entry Glitch to get into a single player match, then you just have to practice tech like Wavedashing, Wavelanding, Dashdancing, L-Cancelling, SHL, etc.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
Play against people, preferably people better than you.

One hour of getting spanked and trying to do better will teach you more than 20 hours in your room with any level of CPU.

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
scroll up and read
scroll up read my reply

Raphy963

Smash Cadet
NNID
raphy963
Oh hey guys! Sorry if bumping is against the rules but I just wanted to say something here!

So i've been playing Smash quite often since I made this thread, mostly Project M and Melee. I really wished I could have said thanks to all of you a month ago, but I will do it now :p

So I've been playing against 3 of my friends and actually got a bit better, I still have alot to learn but HEY! PROGRESS :D

Top Bottom