• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Terminology Thread

Veril

Frame Savant
OK, we need standardized and accepted terminology for data/research purposes. Anything that falls outside of that domain is irrelevant. Terms should have some underlying logic and consistency to them that allows us to apply them to character specific techniques. The old terminology list was really bad. It had huge gaps with the actual data terms and TONS of repeated or pointless definitions as well as questionable information.

First order of business, I need you all to accept that the old terms are... eh... kinda fail.

AT Terminology

Edit: decided to take down the old list, I'll repost the terms we actually need. We don't need a definition for everything that can be canceled ;p defining canceling is waaay easier lol. The problem is that "canceled" is used sometimes when what we should be saying is "canceling". Canceled refers to the affected object, Canceling refers to the effector. Yet we still say "Ledge Canceled Aerials" and "Jump-canceled up-smash". The syntax is completely reversed. The ledge isn't getting canceled (ledge-canceling ≠ lightstepping which actually is canceling the ledgesnap), the landing lag from the aerial is. When people say something like "Jump-canceled shine" it gets even more confusing. Since we can't get rid of these exceptions, we should absolutely avoid allowing any new ones to surface.

"X" Canceled "Y":
a. action X is ended early and "canceled" into action Y or action "Y" is canceled by "X". Since we're using an acronym, its really important that we have a way to differentiate the two other than just knowing it. Otherwise I'd say you could differentiate "canceled" from "canceling".
•Jump-canceled, Double Jump Canceled, Dash-attack canceled, dash attack hit canceled, Jab canceled.
b. action X reduces an effect (lag or hitstun generally) of action Y or ends action Y in a specific manner.
•Crouch Canceled, Autocanceled, land-canceled, ledge-canceled.

Data Terminology

input frame:
startup:
hit-frames and first hits on
hitbox vs. hitbubble or collision bubble
endlag
land lag
autocancel land lag
First actionable frame: the normal iasa
iasa: conditional vs. unconditional
animation length

Damage:
Base Knockback (bkb):
Weight Dependent Base Knockback (∂W bkb)
Knockback Growth:
size and offsets
induced trip %: the chance a move has to trip based on PSA trip%. This is distinct from "brawl sux" tripping which is induced by Sakurai.
adjusted induced trip %: to account for 0° and 361° non-tumble hits being able to trip on their own.
Frame advantage permutations on Hit/Block/Powershield:

361°: The sakurai angle. Launches
No launch angle

∂W vs. static throw

will be massively expanded upon, but... is extremely boring. Don't post about launch speed or use it in any way. Its crap.

Melee stuff can stay for now.
Jump Cancel Grab (JC grab) {canceling the startup of a jump into a standing grab}
L cancel {pressing L/R/Z within 6 frames of landing with an aerial to cut landing lag in half}
SHFFL {Short Hop aerial Fast Fall L cancel}
Wavelanding {air dodging into the ground to generate a momentum slide}
Wavedashing {wavelanding immediately after leaving the ground}
Waveshining {wavedashing out of a shine}
Waveshield {wavedashing out of a shield}
Dash Canceling {pressing down to cancel a dash into a crouch}
Pivot {making use of the single standing frame during the turnaround of a dash dance}
Crouch Canceling {crouching when being hit to reduce knockback, hitstun, and launch angle}
Pillaring {shield pressure technique of multiple iterations of an aerial into a shine}
Moon Walking {input back at the start of a dash w/o centering the control stick to generate backwards momentum}
Double Jump Cancel (DJC) {canceling your second jump with an aerial; select characters only}

Veril

Frame Savant
Reserved for the newer glitches, exploits and ATs discovered (several by myself have not been discussed cause I didn't feel like sharing lol).

1. Buffered Dash-Attack Cancel Up-Smash: doesn't need a new term, for technical discussion of dash-attack cancels perhaps having DACUS (up-smash input frame) would help to clear things up but the public should.

2. Natural vs. assisted lightstepping: tbc

Veril

Frame Savant
Reserved for units of measurement.

Distance: bdu = brawl distance units.

The smallest real unit of distance for brawl is equal to about 1/20th of a stage builder block. To really measure displacement we need a specially hacked stage with major/minor gridlines on a neutral background (20/5 bdu apart).

Credit to Leaf or Paprika killer for telling me this long long ago.

Shield Health:

Shields have a lifespan of 177 frames (shieldbreak will occur on 178, this is the same for all characters). Every point of damage reduces this by 2.5 frames, not accounting for shield-damage multipliers on moves like Marth's neutral-b. We don't need to, and should not convert this into an artificial value to represent shield health. It is, quite simply, the number of frames a shield can remain activated before breaking.

When we have hurtbubble mods for everyone we can explore shield coverage as a function of shield health more thoroughly.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Hmm.... I always thought of the canceled/canceling thing like this:

For "X canceled Y", I would naturally think Y is being canceled by X.
For "X canceling Y", I would think Y is canceling X.

Adding a hyphen makes it easier to follow imo...... "ledge-canceled _____", "jump-canceling _____", etc.

Either way we do it, it'll be good to set a standard for naming stuff.

Veril

Frame Savant
New Term:

Shield Refraction: the period of 7 frames following the appearance of a shield during which that shield may not be dropped, and only OOS actions are possible.

Other shield related terms:
Perfect or Power Shielding?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well, while Perfect Shielding is the official term, so is "ukemi," and nobody uses "ukemi" over "tech." So, the decision comes down to whether you want to conform with the Melee term, or stay with the official Brawl term in order to properly differentiate it from the Melee power shield, which has several notably different properties (Melee power shield does not have shield stun, nor any shield, for that matter, unless against a projectile attack, in which case it reflects the projectile).

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I'm in favor of going with the official term. Both power and perfect shielding are used quite often, and since there are notable differences between Melee and Brawl's PS mechanics, it'd probably make more sense to use a different term for it.

That said, they're going to be used interchangeably regardless of what we mark as the official term, so it doesn't matter too much to me.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I say perfect shielding, but Bengal's right: people are always going to say powershielding regardless of what we make "official".

But I still think we should make the official term perfect shielding.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Jab locking should be called "Ground Locking" since it can be done by a billion different types of moves

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Why not "Sakurai Locking". Nearly all of the time a jab lock is done by a low KB move with Sakurai angle.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I don't think people ever call it jab locking when it's not done by a jab. o.o

Just "_____ locking."

Lol @Sakurai locking.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Okay so one set of terms that's popped up recently:
jab cancel v. crouch cancel. I'm sure most people know the significant crouch cancel from Melee for survival purposes, but by the definition shown here, in Brawl they should be named "crouch canceled jabs", where most call them jab canceled, when in reality, it's the jab itself being canceled.

on the other hand, semantics can support the other way around as well, since it's a dash attack "canceled" into an usmash, which is probably how peopl figured, since it's also far more convenient for beginner's to see it this way, as it also gives a "technique" a timeline; a chronology of how it's broken down.

I've never heard of the term "jab cancelled". I've only heard of either jab cancel or crouch-cancelled jab. The latter doesn't seem right to me though, because it seems to imply that there is still a jab going on. Again, I would opt for simply "jab cancelling", because there is no syntax to cause confusion and it describes what you're doing very efficiently.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
JCCCJ)Jab canceled Crouch Canceled Jab, lol

Veril

Frame Savant
I definitely like "Out of ____" because the OO"States" have specific sets of moves which can cancel them and there's no real confusion with the term. For example I've been phasing "Jump canceled X" out of my lexicon in favor of "out of jump start" in technical writing. When I talk to people in a tournament setting or pretty much any non-researcher I use terms that are accepted vernacular, or make my own (natural lightstepping), or simply settle on the one that isn't ******** sounding (recoil special >>>>> Wavebouncing >>>>> b-bouncing).

For technical discussion the term "Y out of X" can describe almost any situation. The term "canceling" describes a specific occurrence but isn't used for input maps or frame-breakdowns, also it causes massive syntax fail.

Jab canceling is taking an action other than jab-flow out of the jab's iasa during the period where "jab flow" input restriction and actual iasa overlap. I should make a list for the limited actions IASA states... I'm a little unmotivated on that as per having all that stuff memorized (how sad is that :( )

Top Bottom