• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Technique- Magnet Pull

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
If you looked at the general Tactical Section, you'll see I stupidly posted this there. NEVERTHELESS, fellow Lucas Metagame pursuers, take a look at this, try it for yourself if you want, or, call me lame as **** if it's old.

Kink-Link5 says:
I discovered a lucas glitch
Aon says:
oh?
Aon says:
what is it?
Kink-Link5 says:
You know how you can use PK Fire to help your recovery?
Aon says:
uuuh
Aon says:
no?
Kink-Link5 says:
Or rather, how PK Fire pushes you backward?
Kink-Link5 says:
in the air?
Aon says:
oh yeah
Aon says:
i know that
Kink-Link5 says:
Right
Kink-Link5 says:
So, Check this out
Kink-Link5 says:
Double Jump and hold one dirrection, then PK Fire the oppisite dirrection
Kink-Link5 says:
This will give more movement then normal (not the glitch yet)
Kink-Link5 says:
*than
Kink-Link5 says:
then, EMIDIATELY use PK Magnet
Kink-Link5 says:
Lucas FLIES in the dirrection you're going
Aon says:
wow nice
Kink-Link5 says:
I can show you in a match and you can record it maybe?
Kink-Link5 says:
like, just a 1 minute match, not a real one
Aon says:
yeah
Aon says:
when i get home that is
Kink-Link5 says:
Oh, dang
Aon says:
nice find though
Aon says:
how’d you come across it?
Kink-Link5 says:
but yeah, it's useful for recovery
Kink-Link5 says:
I was testing how strong the Magnet attack was
Kink-Link5 says:
Because, you know, how at the end, it causes damage?
Aon says:
yes?
Kink-Link5 says:
Right, so I was testing that
Kink-Link5 says:
and I found it was kind of like Peach's Toad
Kink-Link5 says:
it pulls you a little more in the dirrection you're going in the air
Kink-Link5 says:
so, I was trying to jump across FD
Kink-Link5 says:
in one jump
Kink-Link5 says:
using PK Fire and the magnet
Kink-Link5 says:
and when I did one right after the other...
Kink-Link5 says:
ZOOOOM

The video will be up by Monday afternoon.

EDIT: I tried it in an actual match and it works AMAZINGLY for recovery.

TeenLink2D

Smash Cadet
Awesome dude! I'm trying this now and it is really good for possible Air combat and recovery. I feel like making a real 10 second vid of this!

EDIT: Ahhh I'm uploading it now. This is actually kinda cool. I mean after you do the Magnet thing, you slide backwards on the ground. Turns out when you slide to the enemy, you can let it go and it will spike them the opposite direction you flew from!

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE2l5LgG3ZA

Yay for ****ty quality vid!

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Awesome dude! I'm trying this now and it is really good for possible Air combat and recovery. I feel like making a real 10 second vid of this!

EDIT: Ahhh I'm uploading it now. This is actually kinda cool. I mean after you do the Magnet thing, you slide backwards on the ground. Turns out when you slide to the enemy, you can let it go and it will spike them the opposite direction you flew from!
Another application of this is that the slide lets you use ANY attack on the ground while keeping your momentum, something regular PK Fire wavelanding can't say for itself.

Also, hahaha. This, in conjunction with Zap Jumping, lets Lucas go under Final Destination and make the reverse Hyrule Jump.

EDIT: Yup, that vid shows what should happen.

beatrixkiddo

Smash Rookie
Hot. Tried it out on practice stage... needs at least a double jump to pull off though (for me, your mileage may vary)

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Hot. Tried it out on practice stage... needs at least a double jump to pull off though (for me, your mileage may vary)
It does need a double jump to work. In practice, this is much more useful for recovery than offence. Knocked out by Toon Link's F-Smash at 88%, Lucas can use this to recover to the center of Final Destination. It still works for offence if you have enough room though. Sliding while using his U-smash is slick as oil.

beatrixkiddo

Smash Rookie
Quick noob question while we're on the topic of b-sticking... is there any way to set a default control scheme? Or will I have to choose my customized b-stick layout every match? D: Whenever I forget I try to wavebounce and fail :p

Jaqen

Smash Rookie
Oh wow this is insane. Lucas keeps getting better and better. So glitchty... Will try first thing when I wake up tomorrow!

LucNess Monster

Smash Rookie
Amazing discovery... but quick question. Is there anyway to create forward momentum? In the video i only see lucas being pushed backward and i dont really would see how you would apply this because when your knocked off you're facing the stage which would only push you in the opposite direction. or am i missing something?

thanx in advance

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
That is something very interesting, especially for recovery. Is it possible to do when recovery consistently or only when you are on top of the stage? It looks really good and is a new technique for all of us lucas mainers to master. good find kink-link5

what will you name this new original technique? I have a suggestion but it's all up to the creator. My suggestion is something like fire magnet, or maybe magnet glide? something along those lines

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Amazing discovery... but quick question. Is there anyway to create forward momentum? In the video i only see lucas being pushed backward and i dont really would see how you would apply this because when your knocked off you're facing the stage which would only push you in the opposite direction. or am i missing something?

thanx in advance
I just got this same question in another forum, so I'll paste what I posted there.

To use it for recovery, you have to use your second jump, then PK Fire away from the stage and use PK Magnet. Way useful for recovery options and, given enough room, for offence as well.

That is something very interesting, especially for recovery. Is it possible to do when recovery consistently or only when you are on top of the stage? It looks really good and is a new technique for all of us lucas mainers to master. good find kink-link5
It can be used multiple times but the initial use is the most useful. Like I said, you can use it to reverse Hyrule jump and go under all stages possible with it.

beatrixkiddo

Smash Rookie
You can do backwards PK Fires without b-sticking but only when jumping from the ground, I think, because you have to do a reverse jump, so I don't think you could do this with it... but I'm not sure. Anyone know if the tiny bit of backwards momentum a NORMAL PK Fire gives would work if you used the PsiM afterwards?

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
is this only with b-sticking?
I don't use C-Stick for Specials, so no. You just have to flick backward quickly for the PK Fire.

You can do backwards PK Fires without b-sticking but only when jumping from the ground, I think, because you have to do a reverse jump, so I don't think you could do this with it... but I'm not sure. Anyone know if the tiny bit of backwards momentum a NORMAL PK Fire gives would work if you used the PsiM afterwards?
It works, but not nearly as well. About the same amount as using Peach's Bomber in Melee. :/

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Just seeing this topic and playing with it... It's not difficult to perform, but I will emphasize that you must PK Fire OPPOSITE your jump. Otherwise, the momentum of the attack will just cancel the momentum of the jump and you won't go anywhere. Performing a reverse >B is not hard, just hit backwards and the B button. :p

You don't have to B-Stick to do it, but B-Sticking does help by allowing you to fly in either direction from the same jump. For example, I jump to the RIGHT:

(1) Normal PK Fire left, giving me great rightward momentum. PSI Magnet will fling me right.
(2) B-Stick PK Fire, bouncing me backward and giving me great leftward momentum. PSI Magnet will fling me left.

Yet another reason to learn the B-Sticking control scheme for Lucas, I suppose.

This will allow you to mix it up a bit and perhaps use it on offense better (you can either jump away and swoop in on a larger stage, or jump past them and basically fly through them). Seems limited still, though, you don't seem to get a lot of slide once you hit the ground (maybe I'm not letting off Magnet soon enough?) and releasing Magnet lags you a bit, so your only offensive option seems to be flying at them ***-first trying to release Magnet on top of them -- pretty risky. Very viable for recovery, though.

Also, hahaha. This, in conjunction with Zap Jumping, lets Lucas go under Final Destination and make the reverse Hyrule Jump.

Maybe I'm not getting the distance I should, because I can only do the FD Jump without Zap Jumping. A regular jump gets me enough height and distance to PKT2 myself to the ledge, but Zap Jumping just makes me hit my head on the bottom of the stage. :p Trying to hold the Magnet fling longer (to get passed the large bottom) just makes me die off the bottom before I can jump.

CFaLC

Smash Cadet
Hmmm, I like this. It's about as useful as Zap Jumping as it is now, I think. Hopefully we can find some better uses for this. It's definitely fun to mess around with, though! Nice find. In the video, it seems that you lose a lot of your momentum when you stop using PSI Magnet...Is that how it is?

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Sorta. You know how using PSI Magnet regularly in the air will halt your movement, then gradually accelerate to normal fall speed? When you stop using it mid-air, you'll naturally lose your momentum as Lucas returns to normal physics rather than "PSI Magnet physics."

However, if you hold PSI Magnet to the ground you'll quickly stop in place. Letting go early allows you slide into a ground attack, like dashing except you're not restricted to USmash. This effect is most pronounced if you B-Stick your PSI Magnet near the ground, since the activation has the most noticeable "fling" (you gradually lose momentum after the initial burst of speed) and B-Sticking has perfect [minimum-frame] release.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
BREAKING NEWS! In my failed attempts to do a Reverse Hyrule Jump, I found out...

You can change the momentum from your PSI Magnet. You know how in TeenLink's video you careen off in the same direction your PKF momentum takes you? Turns out if you smash forward after activating PSI Magnet (or you B-Stick it), your momentum is completely reversed and you fly FORWARD instead of backwards.

It's a lot easier to B-Stick it, but if you can get it down with Smash-direction you're a lot more likely to be able to use the PSI Magnet offensively this way because you can hold it in until you're on top of your enemy and you're not facing backwards most of the time either.

Hose A

Smash Cadet
Awesome find. My brother hates me because I play Lucas and he says I just look for glitchy characters to play. This is untrue. I just pick a character, and you guys come up with stuff I can try out, and it just makes my character better. Maybe we should call this Psi Recovery?

HighInDaSky

Smash Cadet
BREAKING NEWS! In my failed attempts to do a Reverse Hyrule Jump, I found out...
You can change the momentum from your PSI Magnet. You know how in TeenLink's video you careen off in the same direction your PKF momentum takes you? Turns out if you smash forward after activating PSI Magnet (or you B-Stick it), your momentum is completely reversed and you fly FORWARD instead of backwards.
i was playing around with this a few hours ago n i thought i discovered something new but i guess i wasnt the first lol~ . like Mr.E said, you can change the direction you slide when using the psi magnet. check out the video :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PTvwXjMBsg

Hose A

Smash Cadet
I've been having trouble trying to do it for some reason. I'm not sure if it's just me. I can do it fine when I b-stick, but I don't like b-sticking. You can do it with just a normal reverse PKF, right?

Levitas

the moon
i was playing around with this a few hours ago n i thought i discovered something new but i guess i wasnt the first lol~ . like Mr.E said, you can change the direction you slide when using the psi magnet. check out the video :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PTvwXjMBsg
That could totally be a surprise rush for the KO, nobody'll expect it, and Psi Magnet can kill at medium-high percents depending on where the opponent is.

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
wow this technique can be used for recovery, showing off, and now going on the offensive! WTF!!

that's it lucas is golden. i'm going on ebay right now and look for a golden statue as big as me of lucas. That way i can worship his awesomeness.

kyle?!

Smash Cadet
Maybe I'm dumb, but I can't get the same reaction from this. My Psi Mag just pushes me back a little bit. Maybe it's because I'm bsticking it?

Batteries

Smash Cadet
Very interesting. Very interesting indeed.

What would happen if you were to PSIM again in the air after the first one? And after that? See what I'm getting at here?

Venusdude21

Smash Rookie
My god, And i thought Lucas was glitchy before! Even more reason to use him now, good find guys.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
It does need a double jump to work. In practice, this is much more useful for recovery than offence. Knocked out by Toon Link's F-Smash at 88%, Lucas can use this to recover to the center of Final Destination. It still works for offence if you have enough room though. Sliding while using his U-smash is slick as oil.
I can't seem to get this to work. I can get the basic part to work ( flying backwards w/ Magnet ) but I'm having trouble doing a sliding U smash. Maybe I'm missing something?

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I can't seem to get this to work. I can get the basic part to work ( flying backwards w/ Magnet ) but I'm having trouble doing a sliding U smash. Maybe I'm missing something?
To do a sliding attack with it, you have to let the PSI Magnet Pull (OFFICIAL NAME PLXKTHX) start close to the ground and it lets you slide across it Samus SWD style.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Well, the very start of the "Magnet Pull" (okie dokie) gets you the most horizontal momentum, so if you start your PSI Magnet near the ground and release quickly that's when you get the most slide. You can then slide into any ground attack you want.

EDIT: Oh, beat by a moment. Anyway, to visualize about how high you need to be... About the height of a full jump + double jump off the ground. A little less actually, but that's a good reference point.

I've been having trouble trying to do it for some reason. I'm not sure if it's just me. I can do it fine when I b-stick, but I don't like b-sticking. You can do it with just a normal reverse PKF, right?
B-Sticking it will send you in the opposite direction you jump. A normal reverse PK Fire you will shoot BACKWARDS, but fly in the same direction as your jump (or falling from off the stage, whatever).

-NEOLINK-

Smash Journeyman
Magnet Pull isn't a bad name, i kinda like it. Oh yeah, reversing momentum looks so sweet! Now if only we can find a way to do the Magnet Pull closer to the ground.:ohwell: Lucas defies all physics.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero

It's a lot easier to B-Stick it, but if you can get it down with Smash-direction you're a lot more likely to be able to use the PSI Magnet offensively this way because you can hold it in until you're on top of your enemy and you're not facing backwards most of the time either.
I noticed this post before, but am just quoting it to make a note. If the question is risen who first found the Magnet Pull, it would be me, but any credit for the Reverse Magnet Pull should go to Mr. E here.

Upon testing it out (which would probably be easier if I B-sticked; I'm just too use to C-Stick aerials and B-Sticking feels awkward for me) using the reversed version yields epic mindgames (IE: My brother: "STOP JOLTING BACK AND FORTH I CAN'T TOUCH YOU")

Top Bottom